• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Pau

Finished reading Nausicaa. Miyazaki's masterwork, animated or otherwise.

I consider it his magnum opus. Just reread it over the last several days too, and it's only gotten better.
And yet, the article that appears at the end of the second volume:

"But now I have to relearn - the hard way - why I concluded that I had no talent for comics and gave them up so long ago!"

If Nausicaa is the result of Miyazaki's lack of talent for comics, I wonder what he considers talent. :p

Got my collection in today. I definitely enjoy the quality so far over the paperbacks - which I think I will end up donating to my old high school.

j1uNMHy.png

That might be too much Nausicaa for one library.

Anyways, I wonder if I'll find Selm as annoying as I did last time.

survivor

Banned
And yet, the article that appears at the end of the second volume:

"But now I have to relearn - the hard way - why I concluded that I had no talent for comics and gave them up so long ago!"

If Nausicaa is the result of Miyazaki's lack of talent for comics, I wonder what he considers talent. :p

Got my collection in today. I definitely enjoy the quality so far over the paperbacks - which I think I will end up donating to my old high school.

http://i.imgur.com/j1uNMHy.png[IMG]

That might be too much Nausicaa for one library.

Anyways, I wonder if I'll find Selm as annoying as I did last time.[/QUOTE]
Out of curiosity, are the translations any different between the two editions?

I watched WHISPER FROM THE HEART for the first time.

It has a very nice pace, atmosphere and intimate tone in that it really takes the time to familiarise viewers with this girl's banal life. The story itself is incredibly infantile and clumsily garish.

Talk about overrated.

iuxion

I watched WHISPER FROM THE HEART for the first time.

It has a very nice pace, atmosphere and intimate tone in that it really takes the time to familiarise viewers with this girl's banal life. The story itself is incredibly infantile and clumsily garish.

Talk about overrated.

Depressing opinion.

IIRC, Alkira Toriyama has said similar.

Goddammit! Nausicaa Box Set is now only $35 at Amazon UK IN STOCK.

Now, I feel like my $70 was a bargain. But to see it a couple weeks later at $35 is kind of a slap in the dick.
I guess I missed the Amazon.co.uk copies, right and the cheapest shipping for the amazon.com copy is $22.31 (well the books are not small of lightweight) which puts it at the same price as third party sellers on amazon.co.uk.
Edit from the future: I didn't miss the copies, I was just looking too early or maybe caught the second wave. Wasn't quite $35 good but a better deal than the above.

Pau

Yeah that actually left a sour taste in my mouth.
I took it as dumb kids being in puppy love.

I watched the film when I was older but I remember being very much like the protagonist including a lot of the childish (and embarrassing) ways of thinking. The movie is pretty accurate in capturing that, I think. But I could see why older people might not get much out of it.

Sushigod7

I took it as dumb kids being in puppy love.

I watched the film when I was older but I remember being very much like the protagonist including a lot of the childish (and embarrassing) ways of thinking. The movie is pretty accurate in capturing that, I think. But I could see why older people might not get much out of it.

Yup kids say stupid things I thought it fit the overall theme pretty well. Don't kids always want to grow up faster than they should? Then when they do think ah man wish I could go back to those simple days. I'm pretty sure that is what they were going for. I didn't like the film as far as story goes though not my thing but I did enjoy it more than Return of the Cat (thats not saying much either)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I didn't enjoy Whisper of the Heart much either, but when I told that to duckroll he thought I was delusional.

I've since gone back to rewatch it several times and I enjoy it some more. It's still not the best movie in the Ghibli catalogue, but it's definitely high enough to be more than memorable.

It's not a bad film in any capacity. It's a good film. It's just wildly overrated. I can't understand the people that hold it as Ghibli's best.

Sushigod7

My Totoro and Howl's are on schedule to be delivered tomorrow going to watch both very excited despite already owning both. The review seems decent on the quality too.

It's really a shame that Blu-ray.com gets attention for it's reviews just because it has a really good domain name. :/

Both Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle is coming tonight!! I'm so excited!

Sushigod7

Got Totoro and Howl's this morning first thing. Watched Totoro already the audio and visual upgrades are amazing. It only maes the wait for Spirited Away and Mononoke so much worse.

codhand

It's really a shame that Blu-ray.com gets attention for it's reviews just because it has a really good domain name. :/

Both Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle is coming tonight!! I'm so excited!

i like dvd beaver, but it's design is straight late 90's, is there a better site? i like blu-ray.com reviews ok...the site is good for tracking your collection, seeing nice screenshots, and deals, but im sure theres better review sites...

omgkitty

i like dvd beaver, but it's design is straight late 90's, is there a better site? i like blu-ray.com reviews ok...the site is good for tracking your collection, seeing nice screenshots, and deals, but im sure theres better review sites...

I always thought the name DVDBeaver sounded inappropriate and the site looks like shit for the most part. I pretty much only use blu-ray.com to look at screenshots. It doesn't help that on blu-ray.com, almost all of their reviewers are completely incompetent when it comes to taste in films. I find myself disagreeing with almost all of their staff, especially on their theatrical reviews.

Ugh seeing the screens for Howl on Blu-Ray makes me so hard for the eventual (probably 2020) release of Princess Mononoke. I need that shit right now bruh!!!

omgkitty

You guys do realize that Mononoke's rights are not owned by Disney right? I feel like I've said that several times in this thread already.

LuuKyK

Sushigod7

Maybe most people (like me, until I looked it up) don't realize that Disney no longer owns Miramax.

Whoever owns it makes no difference I'll be importing that one from Japan I'm just waiting for the release there, same goes for Spirited Away. Hope to see at least one of them this year.

LuuKyK

You can still order they will ship when they get a restock hopefully, if they get one but it's worth a try if you want it.

Im focusing on buying the ones that are available, since I live in Brazil and importing anything from amazon (and everywhere else really >_>) is a pain, especially considering you have to receive it in hands (and to plan that with unrealeased titles is kinda hard) here and pay for the eventual (big) shipping taxes. Sucks to live here. :(

epmode

You guys do realize that Mononoke's rights are not owned by Disney right? I feel like I've said that several times in this thread already.

Thankfully, Japanese blurays play in American players just fine. I'll pay the ridiculous Japanese markup for this one.

Is there a release date, by the way?

Sushigod7

Thankfully, Japanese blurays play in American players just fine. I'll pay the ridiculous Japanese markup for this one.

Is there a release date, by the way?

No, everyone is thinking they will be the last two released so still might be awhile.

I was at Costco today and saw Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle for $24.99 on Blu-ray. They also had a handful of DVDs (Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa and others) for $12.99.

Hok

Banned
Spirited Away had a fantastic atmosphere

I remember watching it on a cold rainy winter day

It was fantastic

Also I can say the same for Howl's Moving Castle

J2 Cool

Will we be getting a Spirited Away Blu-ray soon? That's the one I feel like would benefit most from the treatment. Such a rich looking film, and his storytelling hadn't fallen off yet.

Derwind

I'm actually shocked that I watched all of those movies(except the first one about the cellist)....

It all started from Spirited Away, which opened me up to Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies.

Top Bottom