• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Llyranor

Is the quality of the Japanese masters pretty much the same as their US counterparts, like they just use the same one?
IIRC, it's the same masters. Though, for Ponyo, the Japanese audio is lossy (I didn't notice it, but I guess my audio system isn't that great).

Also, it's possible that the extras have no English subtitles. Don't quote me on that, though.

Not too sure if this has been posted yet or not, but the English trailer for From Up on Poppy Hill is out:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/fromuponpoppyhill/

Is that supposed to be any good? Goro as director is raising a red flag after all I've heard about Earthsea, but that trailer looks pretty good!

I was looking up Miazaki's Japanese blurays, and I have a couple questions:

Is the quality of the Japanese masters pretty much the same as their US counterparts, like they just use the same one?

How are the menus and extras on the JP Miyazaki blus?

I saw a listing for Howl's Japanese blu on target.com, and its only $45. Is that an error? Sounds too good to be true.

The encoding quality/colors/etc. are different, I know. There are some comparisons out there. Generally, the Japanese versions tend to have higher bitrates, but really, are you going to notice the difference between 28Mbps and 23Mbps?

Sushigod7

Thought this was worth the cross post from the Disney thread. Finally US release for Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. edit: Blu Ray that is!

So it seems like Totoro and Howl's Moving castle are confirmed with Amazon listings and cover art for May 21st now So I guess that's that.
Thanks Articalys
And right as I got Totoro from Japan too. Oh well no harm done they are gorgeous releases!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I still haven't gotten my Nausicaa boxset from Amazon after 2 months. Normally I would have kept the dented version they sent me, but Nausicaa means a lot to me and I wanted it in pristine condition.

Looks like Amazon isn't even selling it anymore. :/

Thought this was worth the cross post from the Disney thread. Finally US release for Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. edit: Blu Ray that is!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

Daft_Cat

It's that supposed to be any good? Goro as director is raising a red flag after all I've heard about Earthsea, but that trailer looks pretty good!

Is good. Much better than Earthsea. Reminded me of a sort of period piece version of Whispers of the Heart. Plus, this one is written by Miyazaki Sr.

gkryhewy

I saw a listing for Howl's Japanese blu on target.com, and its only $45. Is that an error? Sounds too good to be true.

The cheaper ones are typically the HK versions, which have the same cover art but in a standard BR case as opposed to the nice paper cases of the JP releases. They also have no english lamguage track, whereas the JP release have the Disney dubs (if available).

The best prices I've seen for the JP releases now that exchange rates have loosened are on amazon.co.jp, although you'll do better to order a few at once since shipping to the US is a killer.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
On Friday I wanted to watch Kiki's Delivery Service and neither iTunes nor SEN had the movie for rental, so I resorted to watch it online from dailymotion. Do you guys know of any websites where I can rent SG films legally? I liked the movie a lot, these guys deserve my money.

Doombear

On Friday I wanted to watch Kiki's Delivery Service and neither iTunes nor SEN had the movie for rental, so I resorted to watch it online from dailymotion. Do you guys know of any websites where I can rent SG films legally? I liked the movie a lot, these guys deserve my money.

Digitally, I don't see any options really. I think there are a handful on Netflix, but disc only. Kiki's, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Spirited Away and Mononoke at least. I only have instant, but those seem to pop up as options for disc subscribers.

Seattle International Film Festival is showing Ghibli films over the weekend and into this week. I took my daughter to see Totoro on Sunday and had a really good time, was her first time seeing anything in the theater. I never really think of these as big screen spectacle movies, but they really are excellent in the theater. Great sound, bright colors. I might actually try to sneak back myself for the late showing of Nausicaa on Tuesday if I have the time.

Sushigod7

Seattle International Film Festival is showing Ghibli films over the weekend and into this week. I took my daughter to see Totoro on Sunday and had a really good time, was her first time seeing anything in the theater. I never really think of these as big screen spectacle movies, but they really are excellent in the theater. Great sound, bright colors. I might actually try to sneak back myself for the late showing of Nausicaa on Tuesday if I have the time.

That sounds amazing wish I was closer!

Ashhong

People must love showing Ghibli films around Valentines, because there was something similar in SoCal last year. I saw a Totoro remaster on Valentines day for the first time and was blown away. Sure it wasn't a spectacle movie as you say, but I was just immersed in it. Was amazing to watch, and the audience was full of Totoro lovers which made it even better.

codhand

NYC area gaf, anyone else going? I'll be there the 16th at 11am...

untitleddsood.png

http://www.gkids.tv/intheaters.cfm

Can I just say you are a true hero for making Totoro the first movie your daughter saw in the movie theatre. I wish all kids could be that lucky.

izakq

Awesome news. My son has really played our DVD copy of Totoro nonstop and we're in need of another copy.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sigh, still no restock on the Nausicaa Hardcover Set from Amazon. Thing is going for more than 300 bucks used on the Canadian side. Kind of wished I didn't return my dented copy.

zeroshiki

There were 2 steps to that rumor.

1. It was a mistranslation of something Miyazaki said offhandedly. He was saying something about NOT doing a sequel to Porco Rosso and someone misunderstood.

2. Miyazaki's actual next movie, Kaze Tachinu, has airplanes and the original Miyazaki manga for it had a pig-man flying the plane. It wasn't hard for people to assume it had something to do with Porco Rosso.

Ezalc

1. It was a mistranslation of something Miyazaki said offhandedly. He was saying something about NOT doing a sequel to Porco Rosso and someone misunderstood.

2. Miyazaki's actual next movie, Kaze Tachinu, has airplanes and the original Miyazaki manga for it had a pig-man flying the plane. It wasn't hard for people to assume it had something to do with Porco Rosso.

Damn, I knew about this movie but I was holding hope that the Porco sequel was in the works somewhere in the background or something. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

qindarka

Banned
A sequel to Porco Rosso would be a terrible idea. The story had ended with Porco turning back into a human, I really can't see what else they could have done with the story and might very well have undermined the original.
Very glad it's not happening.

GCX

The mistranslation was that Miyazaki said it'd be fun to do a new Porco Rosso manga chapter sometime, not an entire movie.

Ezalc

A sequel to Porco Rosso would be a terrible idea. The story had ended with Porco turning back into a human, I really can't see what else they could have done with the story and might very well have undermined the original.
Very glad it's not happening.

I said it wrong, the movie that I heard about was supposed to be a prequel with Porco fighting his last sortie in the war or something like that.

Not sure if this is the best place for this but seems appropriate.

(Note: UK only)

Film4 will be having a Studio Ghibli season between 26th March 2013 and 13th April 2013. During this time, every day will see at least 1 film from the studio shown on TV.

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/studio-ghibli-2013

Film4 can be found on these UK channels: Channel 15 on Freeview, Channel 315 on Sky, Channel 428 on Virgin Media, Channel 300 on Freesat

Full listings below (Italics denote a repeat in the season):

26th March: Spirited Away
27th March: Princess Mononoke
28th March: The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso
29th March: Kiki's Delivery Service

30th March: My Neighbour Totoro
31st March: Arrietty
1st April: Grave of the Fireflies, Howl's Moving Castle
2nd April: Pom Poko

3rd April: The Castle of Cagliostro
4th April: Ocean Waves, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
5th April: Whisper of the Heart
6th April: Spirited Away

7th April: The Cat Returns
8th April: Only Yesterday
9th April: Tales from Earthsea
10th April: Princess Mononoke

11th April: Little Norse Prince, Ponyo
12th April: Howl's Moving Castle
13th April: Castle in the Sky

wolfgare

Damn. I know it is playing in LA but I can't find out which theaters are showing it.

From Up on Poppy Hill
Yesterday at 3:04pm ·
**UPDATED THEATER LIST**

Due to popular demand, we're bringing From Up on Poppy Hill to MORE cities! Don't see your city listed? Keep checking back as we make updates!

MARCH 15
New York - IFC Center
New York - Film Society of Lincoln Center

MARCH 22
Los Angeles - The Landmark
Toronto - TIFF Bell Lightbox
Vancouver - Vancity Theatre

MARCH 29
Los Angeles - Laemmle Monica
Los Angeles - Laemmle Playhouse
Los Angeles - Laemmle Town Center
Los Angeles - Regal Westpark Irvine
San Francisco - Landmark Embarcadero
Berkeley - Landmark Shattuck
Chicago - Landmark Century 7
Boston - Landmark Kendall Square
Minneapolis - Landmark Uptown
Seattle - Landmark Harvard Exit
San Diego - Landmark Hillcrest

APRIL 5
Los Angeles - Laemmle Noho 7
Denver - Landmark Esquire
Portland - Regal Fox Tower
Honolulu - Kahala 8
Washington, DC - Regal Gallery Place
Washington, DC - Angelika Mosaic
Boston - Hollywood Hits Danvers
Minneapolis - Landmark Edina
Omaha - Film Streams (immediately following Ghibli series)

APRIL 12
Philadelphia - Landmark Ritz at the Bourse
Washington, DC - AMC Rio Gaithesburg
Washington, DC - AMC Shirlington
Washington, DC - Regal Majestic Silver Springs
Tucson - Loft Cinema

APRIL 19
Dallas - Landmark Magnolia
Atlanta - Landmark Midtown Art
St. Louis - Landmark Plaza Frontenac
South FL - Living Room Boca Raton

APRIL 26
Washington, DC - Regal Downtown West Charlottesville
Charlotte - Regal Manor
Salt Lake City - Broadway
Ithaca - Cinemapolis

MAY 3
Knoxville - Regal Downtown West

MAY 10
Nashville - Belcourt
Milwaukee - Landmark Oriental

From their facebook page.

/XX/

The mistranslation was that Miyazaki said it'd be fun to do a new Porco Rosso manga chapter sometime, not an entire movie.
Yeah, the whole confusion even echoed back to Japan and was considered a mistranslation there (http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0026461). Just a good concept to use as a continuation of his illustrated serialization (or his "hobby"), all set in the Spanish Civil War.

However, the CUT magazine article that spawned this was much earlier than the first The Wind Rises rumors, so I suppose there wasn't a confusion created between the two that made people assume that at the moment.

Amir0x

Banned
Wrote up a personal essay on one of my favourites, Only Yesterday, on my blog a few days ago.

Distilled Nostalgia: Ghibli's Only Yesterday

That IS my favorite.

It also has what I consider the purest most elegant expression of young first love as I've seen in a movie.

From 1:00 onward <-- doesn't show the full scene unfortunately

Such a wonderful illustration; gravity literally loses power over her in that moment, and she simply starts floating up into the sky.

LuuKyK

Spirited Away is easily my most favorite Ghibli film, simply because of how unbelievably imaginative and immersive the movie was. Grave of the fireflies a reasonably close second (although I can't bring myself to watch it again), with Princess Mononoke taking third place.

Howl's Moving Castle is all right, but not nearly on the same level as the above mentioned three. The reason why I find Spirited Away to be my favorite is because everything about it simply works. It's characters are diverse and unique, its visuals brilliant, its story heartwarming, its action tense, its music well-done et cetera. I simply cannot think of a single aspect of the movie that didn't work for me. It was my second Ghibli movie (Mononoke being the first) and it immediately jumped to the top of my list of best animated movies list.

Totally deserves its incredibly high IMDB rating and its Oscar.
NOTE: It isn't Ghibli, but I recommend you guys watch Paprika as well if you haven't already.

Wow we have the exact same top 3! And thats how I feel about Spirited Away too. Its such an amazing movie, it has such an incredible mood to it, the music, the visuals, the incredible imaginative places, idk I just never get tired of watching it. Hotaru no Haka though, as much as I love it, it is my second favorite, I cant bring myself to watch as often. It drains my emotions every time, such a sad movie. Sad, but beautiful.

LuuKyK

From Up on Poppy Hill was great, just be sure to bring a box of kleenex. Can't wait for a blu-ray release.

Oh God another sad movie? Ghibli stop making me cry. :(

edit: wait, whats a kleenex? Lmao tissues right?

edit2: ugh, was supposed to edit, sorry for double posting. :/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
That IS my favorite.

It also has what I consider the purest most elegant expression of young first love as I've seen in a movie.

From 1:00 onward <-- doesn't show the full scene unfortunately

Such a wonderful illustration; gravity literally loses power over her in that moment, and she simply starts floating up into the sky.

Love that scene. It captures the flighty out of body feeling of that first crush so well.

PBalfredo

Caught Poppy Hills in theaters today. Good times. Huge improvement over Earthsea, so between this and Arrietty things are looking up for post-Hayao Ghibli Studios. I'm normally much more of a fan of the more fantastical Ghibli movies, but I enjoyed this one a lot. In my book it is definitely the best of mundane-setting Ghibli movies. I think this is primarily because the story felt coherent, compared to Only Yesterday which felt like a series of loosely tied slice-of-life vignettes.

Lynd7

Caught Poppy Hills in theaters today. Good times. Huge improvement over Earthsea, so between this and Arrietty things are looking up for post-Hayao Ghibli Studios. I'm normally much more of a fan of the more fantastical Ghibli movies, but I enjoyed this one a lot. In my book it is definitely the best of mundane-setting Ghibli movies. I think this is primarily because the story felt coherent, compared to Only Yesterday which felt like a series of loosely tied slice-of-life vignettes.

Yes Poppy Hill is a lovely movie. I think the soundtrack being a bit different to normal ghibli fair helps as well.

qindarka

Banned

I liked it but it isn't a patch on Whisper of the Heart, which I consider to be Ghibli's best film.
The whole
incest plotline
felt rather pointless to me and resolved far, far too easily.

Only Yesterday felt really incoherent to me as well.

Lynd7

Have any of you seen Ocean Waves? It was released here in Australia as a sub only release. Its quite good too.

qindarka

Banned
Have any of you seen Ocean Waves? It was released here in Australia as a sub only release. Its quite good too.

It's pretty good as well. Think it suffers from the fact that I never really felt that
the female lead did develop feelings for the male lead.

Top Bottom