• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Coreda

Someone may have posted this already, but I thought I'd share a great Princess Mononoke making of documentary I found a few years ago.

Filmmaker Toshiro Uratani filmed and cut together a rarely-seen side of the Ghibli studio during the making of Mononoke, and is rather fly on the wall in style, capturing the creative struggles Miyazaki and the team went through to make the masterpiece.

Low quality resolution, but hey. Translated by the Youtuber in multiple parts. IIRC missing the last few videos of series 3, and 7/3 due to a copyright takedown (that video covered part of the soundtrack recording).

Series 1
Series 2
Series 3

Dreavus

I need to watch My Neighbor Totoro again. It's been so long, I remember we went into it expecting something else and didn't really know what to think. I feel like I'd have a much greater appreciation for it now.

watershed

Banned
Someone may have posted this already, but I thought I'd share a great Princess Mononoke making of documentary I found a few years ago.

Filmmaker Toshiro Uratani filmed and cut together a rarely-seen side of the Ghibli studio during the making of Mononoke, and is rather fly on the wall in style, capturing the creative struggles Miyazaki and the team went through to make the masterpiece.

Low quality resolution, but hey. Translated by the Youtuber in multiple parts. IIRC missing the last few videos of series 3, and 7/3 due to a copyright takedown (that video covered part of the soundtrack recording).

Series 1
Series 2
Series 3
I watched this whole series a year or so ago. It's amazingly in-depth.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I only just saw the film last year and enjoyed it right up until the very end
where they decide they're getting married.
Late response: but the context of that depends on the translation. I've noticed there's some differences in that last line in both the subtitled and dubbed versions. Don't really have a problem with it either way, I'm sure if a film was made that took place several years later after that would be a tad more pessimistic about that kind of idealized love in terms of it's portrayal.
It's not a bad film in any capacity. It's a good film. It's just wildly overrated. I can't understand the people that hold it as Ghibli's best.
Because it is their best non-takahata film!

Sushigod7

Series 1
Series 2
Series 3

Nice will check out. Thanks

SKINNER!

Banned
Oooh! Had no clue there was a Studio Ghibli OT on GAF. Casual anime watcher here but haven't dug deep into Studio Ghibli apart from Ponyo. Will be visiting the museum and I'm curious to know if there's a movie playlist of films I can watch that can enhance my museum experience. or perhaps go in blind?

Sushigod7

Oooh! Had no clue there was a Studio Ghibli OT on GAF. Casual anime watcher here but haven't dug deep into Studio Ghibli apart from Ponyo. Will be visiting the museum and I'm curious to know if there's a movie playlist of films I can watch that can enhance my museum experience. or perhaps go in blind?

Super jealous your visiting the museum! I'd say watch Castle in the Sky and Totoro at the minimum since they have extensive items on display at the mueseum. But you can't go wrong with any of the films, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away are great as well and of course Princess Mononoke is the crown jewel for me at least.

SKINNER!

Banned
Thanks Sushigod. Will check out those films this weekend. I suppose 5 (6 including Ponyo) should give me a good understanding of Studio Ghibli :)

If you get lucky, the short film they show will be the kitten bus one so Totoro is a must.

I've heard so much about the randomly shown short films but according to this schedule I won't be able to catch it as I'll be visiting in september :/

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/004959.html

EDIT: I suppose that schedule could change at the end of July.

sheaaaa

Anyone know the upcoming Japanese Blu-ray release schedule? I know Porco Rosso's in July, anything accompanying it?

omgkitty

Thanks Sushigod. Will check out those films this weekend. I suppose 5 (6 including Ponyo) should give me a good understanding of Studio Ghibli :)

I've heard so much about the randomly shown short films but according to this schedule I won't be able to catch it as I'll be visiting in september :/

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/004959.html

EDIT: I suppose that schedule could change at the end of July.

Really wish they would release all the shorts on one blu-ray. Also, anyone know where I can find a hi-res picture of that Ghibli Museum crest from their webpage?

Got the 2 newest UK releases today.

I3vvlnq.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Porco Rosso.

Fuck.

Did I just watch the best Ghibli movie? Please tell me there's more to look forward to. I've only watched Kiki's, Spirited Away, and Howl's. This one however, blows them out of the water like a nuclear head. What an amazing movie!

LuuKyK

Porco Rosso.

Fuck.

Did I just watch the best Ghibli movie? Please tell me there's more to look forward to. I've only watched Kiki's, Spirited Away, and Howl's. This one however, blows them out of the water like a nuclear head. What an amazing movie!

Yep its great, not the best for me though (that would be Spirited Away). I would say watch Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke or Totoro next.

Coreda

Yep its great, not the best for me though (that would be Spirited Away). I would say watch Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke or Totoro next.

That was one harrowing film. I watched it as a double bill after Totoro and walked out feeling ambivalent about what I thought of it. I could appreciate it after the fact but initially it was quite a stunner.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of the DVD or Blu Ray releases have dual audio?

jph139

Porco Rosso.

Fuck.

There's more to look forward to but nope, Porco Rosso is the best - very possibly the best-crafted animated film of all time if you ask me, and easily my favorite from Ghibli.

My kids loooove Totoro. Which other ghibli movies are the most kid friendly? They are pretty young (less than 5).

Glad I saw this thread. I'm actually in the process of watching all the Ghibli movies right now.

Started with Mononoke. Watched Totoro last night (for the first time). And today I watched Spirited Away, which I appreciate much more now than when I was younger.

Grave of the Fireflies remains my favourite. Just so powerful. Ponyo and Howl's are the only others I've seen. I didn't think much of either. Kiki's Delivery Service is next on my list.

Just watched Kiki's. What a charming movie. And the english dub was actually good (don't kill me).

I might give Howl's Moving Castle another try. In Japanese this time. I really want to like this one.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just watched Kiki's. What a charming movie. And the english dub was actually good (don't kill me).

I might give Howl's Moving Castle another try. In Japanese this time. I really want to like this one.

No one will kill you for thinking Phil Hartman is awesome.

Earlier this year (thanks to the Studio Ghibli season on Film 4) I finally got to see Arriety.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it (I regret not going to see it in the cinema like I did with Ponyo).

But there are still a few ghibli movies I am yet to see and at least two I've not watched completely (Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns strangely enough).

I should try to make an attempt to rewatch some though, it's been several years since I watched Pom Poko last.

zeroshiki

Earlier this year (thanks to the Studio Ghibli season on Film 4) I finally got to see Arriety.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it (I regret not going to see it in the cinema like I did with Ponyo).

But there are still a few ghibli movies I am yet to see and at least two I've not watched completely (Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns strangely enough).

I should try to make an attempt to rewatch some though, it's been several years since I watched Pom Poko last.

Whisper of the Heart is one of the best Ghibli movies there is. Its such a shame that there will be no more works coming from the director :(

GCX

Nice teaser. Shouldn't there be a full-length trailer for The Wind Rises? It comes out in 9 days.
Miyazaki movies don't work like normal movies. There weren't any full length online trailers for Ponyo either before like a day before release.

Miyazaki movies don't work like normal movies. There weren't any full length online trailers for Ponyo either before like a day before release.

Are you certain? I seem to remember seeing trailers a while before the movie came out. Maybe I am confusing it with the international release, but I don't think so.

tuffy

You know, I was just looking at this on the cover of my DVD last night and noticed that this scene does not occur anywhere in the film.

It has Mei dressed as Satsuke! (Or Satsuke downsized and two pig tails)
It's concept art for the film, when the story was only about one girl. Miyazaki changed it to two girls prior to production but the art was turned into posters and cover art nonetheless.

Top Bottom