• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Tuck

Tried watching Pom Poko a few nights ago. It was awful. So boring. Only made it half way through - the only Studio Ghibli movie I've watched (I've watched most of them) that I have not enjoyed.

Porco Rosso - which I watched a few weeks ago - was fantastic, however.

Sushigod7

Tried watching Pom Poko a few nights ago. It was awful. So boring. Only made it half way through - the only Studio Ghibli movie I've watched (I've watched most of them) that I have not enjoyed.

Porco Rosso - which I watched a few weeks ago - was fantastic, however.

I felt the same way about Tales from Earthsea I turned it off part of the way through, haven't seen Pom Poko in years but it isn't very memorable.

BadWolf

Hi i just got these - where do you think is the best place to start?

998534_10151736708254512_837762553_n.jpg

Leave Grave of the Fireflies for later.

Much later :(

Kazzy

You're not alone, I really liked The Cat Returns.

And in an opinion that is highly likely to ruffle a few feathers, one of the few Ghibli works that I didn't like was Spirited Away. Granted, I had no idea what to expect, and it was years ago, but I do remember just how unenthused I was about the whole thing.

LuuKyK

i disliked ponyo the most.

I thought the story was kinda bland honestly, but its such a pretty film. I mean, some of those undersea shots, the sea ... its just so beautifully crafted I cant help but show some appreciation for it. Its not my favorite one, but not the worst either.

I just had it on this morning for my daughter I like it, although the parts that are most annoying are the father and sea goddess mother. I really like the art work and the big storm scenes.

Maybe I should just try watching the japanese dub because miley cyrus's sister's voice makes me want to punch my tv in.

BadWolf

I just had it on this morning for my daughter I like it, although the parts that are most annoying are the father and sea goddess mother. I really like the art work and the big storm scenes.

I liked it more on my second viewing.

Iirc the water during the storm (or was it when Ponyo was running on waves?) was animated by Miyazaki personally.

I'd start with the oldest one (nausicaä) just so you can see the change in animation over the years and everything. after that it doesn't really matter imo but you could just continue chonologically.

thanks mate. we have a long weekend this week so I'm hoping to get through a few of them!

Hm, I used to get really anxious about these kinds of things, and there was a time when I really into the whole print scene. It's a whole heap of work though, and I vowed to myself that I would never get wrapped up in it the same way. Probably just as well that this passed me by!

That said, those do look really nice. I was fortunate enough to get the Totoro one when that was released, that still, to my shame, is still sitting in storage.

Was anyone lucky enough to secure one of these?

I'm jealous you actually got a hold of the Totoro one. Both times the Olly Moss' prints have gone on sale, something came up and kept me from being able to be at my PC when the sales went live.

I hope he does a Porco Rosso one at some point.

Kazzy

I'm jealous you actually got a hold of the Totoro one. Both times the Olly Moss' prints have gone on sale, something came up and kept me from being able to be at my PC when the sales went live.

The Totoro one is awesome, and it's nice to know that it fetches a nice price, should I ever want to get rid of it. But I agree, buying these prints isn't conducive to a normal persons habits, with random drops essentially dictating that you're sat there for the entire day! And that's not to mention that people who flip these are the worst kind of people.

Sushigod7

The Totoro one is awesome, and it's nice to know that it fetches a nice price, should I ever want to get rid of it. But I agree, buying these prints isn't conducive to a normal persons habits, with random drops essentially dictating that you're sat there for the entire day! And that's not to mention that people who flip these are the worst kind of people.

I was on a mission earlier this year to get that Totoro print and gave up. I bought the Princess Mononoke which is one of my favorite Ghibli anyway. The reg is $600 the variant can sometimes fetch over 1k, no way I can spend that much on a print. Congrats on getting one on a drop that is no easy task with anything Moss related.

I think Takahata is a better director than Miyazaki, to be honest. Pompoko is one of the most charming movies i've ever seen

Ratrat

The Cat Returns is Ghiblis 'Brave'. Which is to say its not horrible but manages to be rare blight on their legacy.

Edit: I've seen every film besides the two Goro's.

zeroshiki

Earthsea is the true blight on the Ghibli name. Good thing no one takes it seriously. Poppy Hill is legit a good movie and you should check it out.

Ponyo is lovely you monsters!

You know, I really really really dislike the final line of Whisper of the Heart.
I enjoy the whole thing every time but the final line always throws me and makes the ending unsatisfactory.

watkinzez

It looks surprisingly small, which makes sense given it's portrayed from a child's perspective in the film. Didn't know it existed, definitely on my list of places to go next time.

Edwardo

I just watched Princess Mononoke for the first time last night. It was amazing, especially that going into it I didn't know anything about the movie other than that it was done by Miyazaki. I'm looking for some suggestions for what to watch next. I've seen Totoro, Howl's, and Castle in the Sky. Should I just work my way down the list in the OP? Or are there some that just aren't that good and I should skip over them.

And Is there anything out there similar in style to Princess Mononoke that wasn't done by Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli?

Sushigod7

I just watched Princess Mononoke for the first time last night. It was amazing, especially that going into it I didn't know anything about the movie other than that it was done by Miyazaki. I'm looking for some suggestions for what to watch next. I've seen Totoro, Howl's, and Castle in the Sky. Should I just work my way down the list in the OP? Or are there some that just aren't that good and I should skip over them.

And Is there anything out there similar in style to Princess Mononoke that wasn't done by Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli?

Spirited Away is the only answer at this point.

Princess Mononoke was the first anime movie that actually felt like an epic cinematic experience. It had that care and quality that I felt most anime movies, that were made for the big screen, lacked. And alot of the things it did weren't as flashy or expensive(in my mind at the time) as it's competition.

It blew my mind cause initially I hated the character designs whenever a Studio Ghibli film was mentioned.

Made me do a Xbox180 in how I viewed the studio.

Sadly it wasn't apart of the Disney line and often gets over looked because of the great Spirited Away

I borrowed Mononoke from the library to watch with my kids without researching. Whoops. Had to turn it off after he rips up those guys on horseback. I loved the movie though (when I watched it later without the kids).

Surprised you lasted that long. Figured it would have been cut with the melting flesh of the Boar.

Your kids will never look at cartoons the same way again. If they are age 7-10 they must have thought it was the coolest thing they ever saw in a cartoon :p

zeroshiki

Watch everything except Earthsea.

As for an order, I guess it depends on your tastes. If I were you, I'd just clear out the Hayao Miyazaki backlog first then move on to Takahata and/or Whisper of the Heart (Kondo ;_;).

Sushigod7

Mononoke and Spirited Away are easily their best works, their other movies haven't really convinced me so far

I 2nd this these two are probably my favorite animated movies ever. Beat out all the Disney and that says a lot I'm a huge Disney fan as well.

jett

D-Member
Finished watching The Cat Returns. Pretty simple and kind of underdeveloped all around, but fun times still. The idea could've gone further than what they made with it. Reading about its origins the final result makes perfect sense. It just kept getting stretched from a 20 minute short, into a 45 minute short, and finally a pretty short 75 minute movie.

p.s. Earthsea is a mess of a movie, "Cat" is well above that. Frankly I don't understand how Earthsea got beyond the storyboarding stage in that condition.

Top Bottom