• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Sushigod7

I just beat Ni No Kuni.

Anyone that is a fan of video games and Studio Ghibli needs to play this game ASAP.

Easily the most beautiful game of this generation IMO. For the unaware, the game was developed by Level-5 and Studio Ghibli.

Only a few hours into this, but it absorbs me in a way very, very few games can accomplish. It's joyful just to run around. Not technically the best game ever, but it is still wonderful.

I'm about 3 hrs in running around the first area. Had this since launch and haven't touched it for some reason. It is gorgeous but the fetch quests and hide in seek in the first area is already annoying. The familiars and monsters so far are pretty cool though I played about an hour or so this morning.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Speaking of Nausicaa -

In an interview on Japanese television channel TBS's Ō-sama no Brunch program, Ghibli director Hayao Miyazaki revealed that he is open to the possibility of a Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind film sequel. However, he would leave such a hypothetical project in the hands of Evangelion director Hideaki Anno.

When asked if he was interested in making a continuation or part 2 of Nausicaä, he replied, “No, I don't. I don't really feel like doing it, but Anno keeps on saying, 'I want to do it! I want to do it!,' so I tell him now that I've come to think lately that if he wanted to do it, it would be fine for him to do it.”

Source

Btw, Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns are the next two Ghibli Blu rays releasing in Japan. December 4.

i0l3vJuSUTYKw.jpg
i4J7TO0xyEedb.jpg

mltplkxr

Thanks for reading! For me, it really is a great work on par with Herbert's Dune or Tolkien's Middle Earth. It feels like a broader and more complex version of Princess Mononoke.

It is a profoundly influential piece of work for me. I identified with Miyazaki's struggles with his own worldview as it evolved throughout the entire manga.

I love the box set, but I think the full size 7 volume set are easier to read. Personal preference :)

I have to say it had an influence on me too. More specifically, how Nausicaä steps over prejudices to make her own opinion of the world around her.

My interest in the full size edition is because I remember Miyazaki saying this is how he drew it originally. I'm also curious to see how the French translation differs from the English one.

epmode

Btw, Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns are the next two Ghibli Blu rays releasing in Japan. December 4.

So I guess Americans should order the Japanese release of Mononoke due to the licensing trouble in the West? What's the best site to import blurays? I apparently still have an amazon.co.jp account from years ago so I can just use that..

tuffy

So I guess Americans should order the Japanese release of Mononoke due to the licensing trouble in the West? What's the best site to import blurays?
Odds are it'll still arrive in the West one way or another. But if you're up to importing, Amazon.co.jp or CDJapan.co.jp are reliable options.

Sushigod7

So I guess Americans should order the Japanese release of Mononoke due to the licensing trouble in the West? What's the best site to import blurays? I apparently still have an amazon.co.jp account from years ago so I can just use that..

If you want to watch it anytime soon import it for sure just be prepared to $100 at least. I think is the going rate unless you find a deal somewhere. Totally worth it to me one of my top movies of all time not just Ghibli.

epmode

Odds are it'll still arrive in the West one way or another.

Even if someone sorts out the rights, I'm concerned that someone other than Disney will handle the release. Aside from the dubtitles in Castle in the Sky, they've been doing a great job. The Japanese discs are reportedly excellent as well.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I have to say it had an influence on me too. More specifically, how Nausicaä steps over prejudices to make her own opinion of the world around her.

The most interesting and compelling part about the manga version of her character is that she operates on her own set of ethics with implications beyond the human world. Over the course of the saga, she becomes a realist, but never a cynic. She is ruthless in her choices but never succumbs to becoming a cynic. She exploits the love others have for her to achieve her own ends, but doesn't relish in the exploitation. Not your vanilla superhero or the wounded anti-hero (Yupa and Kushana got those covered)

Coreda

Speaking of Nausicaa -

i0l3vJuSUTYKw.jpg

Awwwww yissss! Only took them forever.

Was hoping for a white/red cover, but ah well. Actually looks nice. Edit: so they're using pink again for The Cat Returns? Laputa already used that color.

neoism

Well finally got to see The Cat Returns... don't understand the hate it was awesome...The Japanese rumor was really funny. Shame the movie wasn't another 30 minutes and a more flashed out film but still really good.. Like I thought the art style was awesome...

Sushigod7

Just watched From Up on Poppy Hill, was good just not amazing. What was really depressing was my wife saying "is this a magical one" and realizing we will probably never get a magical fantastical world like Spirited Away or Mononoke ever again. I hope I'm wrong because that is just depressing.

zeroshiki

Takahata's movie is coming in a few months. That's magical. Also, the next movie by Yonebayashi (Arrietty director) is coming summer next year.

zeroshiki

So it's not Goro's movie then?

Suzuki said nothing about who the director was but if you look at the timeline, it makes sense that its Yonebayashi's movie since it will be 3(4?) years after Arrietty.

Also, I remember an interview with Goro a year ago where he said he was joking with Yonebayashi about who gets to release their movie after Miyazaki/Takahata which proved to me that both of them were working on something.

Sushigod7

Takahata's movie is coming in a few months. That's magical. Also, the next movie by Yonebayashi (Arrietty director) is coming summer next year.

That's true I forgot about that film I am excited for that was watching Yamada's today too. But it's just not the same unfortunately.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Suzuki said nothing about who the director was but if you look at the timeline, it makes sense that its Yonebayashi's movie since it will be 3(4?) years after Arrietty.

Wow, it's already been 3-4 years since the original release of Arrietty? It only came out last year in the US. :/

Also, I remember an interview with Goro a year ago where he said he was joking with Yonebayashi about who gets to release their movie after Miyazaki/Takahata which proved to me that both of them were working on something.

Ah, I see. You're probably right then!

LuuKyK

Just watched Kiki's Delivery Service again yesterday after a long hiatus. I think the first time I watched it, it was with the japanese dub, this time I went with the english one. Pretty good. I'd forgot how much of a feel good movie it is. It doesn't really have a serious plot going on for it and I feel as if its severely underdeveloped in this aspect (the witch culture, her powers, her family, etc) considering they mainly focus on her love interest, which is pretty annoying, but overall its a very good movie.

zeroshiki

Boo. That disqualifies it for the next Oscars. I thought they'd at least make an effort to show it in December to get it eligibility.

watershed

Banned
I've got a chance to see The Wind Rises in a theater but I wouldn't understand the spoken language or the subtitles. Am I crazy for wanting to go see it anyways?

yami4ct

I've got a chance to see The Wind Rises in a theater but I wouldn't understand the spoken language or the subtitles. Am I crazy for wanting to go see it anyways?

I hear the main selling point is the visuals, so you'll certainly get that out of it. If you don't mind being pretty lost and just being there for the pretty pictures, I'd say go for it. I'd certainly watch it.

zeroshiki

Great news. I feel bad that this probably eliminates the microscopic chance that Wolf Children could get nominated but Miyazaki deserves another Oscar.

The story loses all the impact if you don't understand what is happening. I'd just wait for an official version to be honest.

yami4ct

Might be, but I don't think The Wind Rises has a chance of winning the Oscar. It's probably going to go to Monsters University or something like that.

Monster's U wasn't that well received by critics. Couple that with this being Miyazaki's last film, and I'd say it's got as large a chance as ever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Monster's U wasn't that well received by critics. Couple that with this being Miyazaki's last film, and I'd say it's got as large a chance as ever.

It has a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is what Brave is also sitting at, and Brave won last year. Don't underestimate the hold that Pixar has over Oscar voters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Disney is Pixar and Pixar is Disney so it will really come down to which horse they'll want to back, and I'd put my chips on the final work of an internationally renowned filmmaker rather than the solid sequel.

Disney is Pixar and Pixar is Disney and Ghibli is Ghibli but Disney distributes Ghibli sohmygod my brain

qindarka

Banned
Could easily see The Wind Rises winning if eligible. No Western animated films have received much critical acclaim this year. Among them, it will probably be Monsters U and the (yet to be released) Frozen that will be in contention.

Top Bottom