• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

HoJu

My kids loooove Totoro. Which other ghibli movies are the most kid friendly? They are pretty young (less than 5).
my 2 year old niece loves Ponyo, but for some reason she's terrified the the giant totoro in MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO. She likes everything else about it, though.

GCX

Man, U.S. could learn something.
Well, it's not like it's the norm or anything, Miyazaki has the luxury of not showing anything beforehand since people will line-up to the theaters just because it's something new by Miyazaki. A poster and a date will do.

Shiv47

Pon Poko is the next blu-ray up for release, in November.

41xIwap-TxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nemesis_

Which are available on bluray? And which are coming to bluray?

I just picked up Poppy Lane (?) and Howl's Moving Castle recently.

Desmond

Managed to see the Wind Rises today. I was surprised at how much of the Japanese I could understand, after only one year of University.

I'm not sure on some of the final plot points but I enjoyed it a lot.

Also, a gorgeous teaser for the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter played before. Loving the art direction.

Sushigod7

Managed to see the Wind Rises today. I was surprised at how much of the Japanese I could understand, after only one year of University.

I'm not sure on some of the final plot points but I enjoyed it a lot.

Also, a gorgeous teaser for the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter played before. Loving the art direction.

Awesome! The animation on the trailer doesn't disappoint, was the footage new of Bamboo Cutter?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today I saw Mononoke Hime. Superb movie, I'm so very lucky to have gotten it on DVD and watched it with subs. After the film ended I started watching the featurette included and OH GOD THE ENGLISH DUB...I DON'T EVEN.
animated-smileys-puking-04.gif
Howl being Christian Bale was a bit iffy, Kiki's was okay, Porco Rosso...you could even say it was good. But listening to Ashitaka and San's voices in english...ugh.

The film itself is very well-thought and not targeted towards children, that's for sure. The animation is mind-blowing. The themes and open-endedness of Mononoke were quite surprising. Now, I have set this this goal of watching all of Miyazaki's films before the summer ends. I wish I had this quality of movies growing up, if it weren't for Pixar I would've been mercy of the brain-dead messages from Disney. :(

zeroshiki

Note that Mononoke is the most "action-y" movie Miyazaki has ever done. It is definitely his most violent movie and nothing he has done has even come close to it.

As for the themes, I guess it depends which themes you're talking about. If its the environmentalism, then pretty much all his movies do this with varying degrees of subtlety. Miyazaki's movies almost all have the theme of growing up too so if that's your thing, you'll like the others as well.

Cat Party

I borrowed Mononoke from the library to watch with my kids without researching. Whoops. Had to turn it off after he rips up those guys on horseback. I loved the movie though (when I watched it later without the kids).

Ratrat

Why wouldn't it? You think all trailers and promo materials up to this point have been a giant bait and switch?
Well, I think the first trailer just showed the old couple playing with a baby in a very typical sumie style and then flashed to something more anime-like. And I could be remembering wrong but didn't the latest trailer momentarily show a modern setting?

zeroshiki

Well, I think the first trailer just showed the old couple playing with a baby in a very typical sumie style and then flashed to something more anime-like. And I could be remembering wrong but didn't the latest trailer momentarily show a modern setting?

As far as I remember it showed the house, then the girl, then the girl running out of the house and leaving a trail of clothes behind. It wasn't a very long trailer. The art style was consistent throughout as well.

Ratrat

As far as I remember it showed the house, then the girl, then the girl running out of the house and leaving a trail of clothes behind. It wasn't a very long trailer. The art style was consistent throughout as well.
The first trailer with the baby. You see her opening the curtains. It looks modern. The character art style looks different. The second trailer where she's running and shedding clothes, wasn't there a road with lamp posts?
I suppose he did this with Pom Poko but it looks to incorporate two ways of drawing the characters.

GCX

Note that Mononoke is the most "action-y" movie Miyazaki has ever done. It is definitely his most violent movie and nothing he has done has even come close to it.
Depends on how you define "action". Castle of Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky are definitely Miyazaki's most action-oriented movies but in a happy adventure-film kind of way. Quite the opposite from Mononoke but still, plenty of action.

Mondo will be releasing the regular edition of Olly Moss' newest prints: Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. The posters will be available online for $50 each at a random time on Thursday, July 25th.

In the past, they seem to start allowing purchases sometime between 10am and 2pm EST. They're gonna go super quick. Can't wait!

LuuKyK

Mondo will be releasing the regular edition of Olly Moss' newest prints: Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. The posters will be available online for $50 each at a random time on Thursday, July 25th.

In the past, they seem to start allowing purchases sometime between 10am and 2pm EST. They're gonna go super quick. Can't wait!

That Spirited Away poster... I dont even.

I never heard of Mondo before. Who are them? How does it work? Do they ship to other countries? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just in awe at that poster. :X

That Spirited Away poster... I dont even.

I never heard of Mondo before. Who are them? How does it work? Do they ship to other countries? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just in awe at that poster. :X

Woops, I forgot to link their website info. They're an Austin, Texas based company that collaborates with artists from around the world to make merchandise of pop culture. They're most known for their posters which are also limited edition and never go through reprints so what you buy from them is actually rare. They have a gallery on their site of recently released stuff. Although, there is a lot of stuff they have done in the past that isn't shown on their site. Olly Moss released a My Neighbor Totoro poster last year that I sadly missed out on.

I'm not sure about shipping to other countries, but I'd assume they do considering the people they work with and they don't specifically say in their FAQ that it's not possible. There is other info in the FAQ as well.

Also, a better look at the similar looking variants that were sold at Comic-Con last week: http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/mondo-dark-tower-pacific-rim-spirited-away-comic-con-prints/

Kazzy

Hm, I used to get really anxious about these kinds of things, and there was a time when I really into the whole print scene. It's a whole heap of work though, and I vowed to myself that I would never get wrapped up in it the same way. Probably just as well that this passed me by!

That said, those do look really nice. I was fortunate enough to get the Totoro one when that was released, that still, to my shame, is still sitting in storage.

Was anyone lucky enough to secure one of these?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't watched all of them but Castle in the Sky is my favourite, easily.

Top Bottom