• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Mobius 1

:O
ku-bigpic.jpg

http://kotaku.com/in-japan-you-can-visit-the-totoro-house-for-real-1038774854

My dream house... come true.

Finished watching The Cat Returns. Pretty simple and kind of underdeveloped all around, but fun times still. The idea could've gone further than what they made with it. Reading about its origins the final result makes perfect sense. It just kept getting stretched from a 20 minute short, into a 45 minute short, and finally a pretty short 75 minute movie.

p.s. Earthsea is a mess of a movie, "Cat" is well above that. Frankly I don't understand how Earthsea got beyond the storyboarding stage in that condition.

Despite its flaws, i still think Earthsea was a lot more memorable than Cat. The psuedo-philosophical bs in Earthsea was just too hilarious to forget.

"By denying death....YOU DENY LIFE!"

SuperSah

Banned
I love these films.

My top favourites are The Cat Returns, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Ocean Waves and Kiki's Delivery Service.

My two-disc Ponyo dvd should be here soon. :D

qindarka

Banned
Despite its flaws, i still think Earthsea was a lot more memorable than Cat. The psuedo-philosophical bs in Earthsea was just too hilarious to forget.

"By denying death....YOU DENY LIFE!"

Was so strange how they tried to shoehorn in those themes in the second half of the movie when little in the first half seems to hint at that. I'm still not sure why exactly
Arren kills his father.

Was so strange how they tried to shoehorn in those themes in the second half of the movie when little in the first half seems to hint at that. I'm still not sure why exactly
Arren kills his father.
Don't worry, he doesn't either.

I highly doubt someone who has read the books even understands half the shit going on in that movie.

neoism

I watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time the other day and I think it might have just taken the top spot for my favorite Ghibli film.

super underrated.
Yep just watched it for the first time.... amazing amazing little film...
I really wish real life had the same feeling as Studio Ghibli films... They make me feel soo good after watching them. Best Film Studio of all time...

I used this gif for a year or so and never knew it was from that film.
i6rxDumySLuOV.gif

Reallllly love it.. <3

Need the see The Cat Returns next... T___T why no bluray yet.... also its disappointing to see that its not that long of a movie... only an hour and 15 minutes...

neoism

You'd be better off skipping it, tbh. It's easily one of the worst Ghibli films.

:/
art style looked interesting,,,,

My
S Ghibli film ratings

My Neighbor Totoro Masterpiece......
Princess Mononoke My first Ghibli film
Howl's Moving Castle Can watch if forever....
Whisper of the Heart Seen it for the first time day in my top 5.. <3
Spirited Away Classic
The Secret World of Arrietty Love this movie I cried at the end for awhile.. :*(
Ponyo :)
Tales From Earthsea Gets alot of hate but I really enjoyed it...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Looks great for its age.... nice story
The Castle in The Sky liked it...two nice characters

not sure why but Porco Rosso is the only one of which I've seen I just didn't like very much... I did watch the Eng dub though didn't like Micheal Keaton's voice over.... also for me something I always love is the artist style.. not sure it just didn't set with me.... Totoro is older but looks better... maybe it will look better on bluray...maybe I really should give it another watch and watch it in Japanese next time....

omgkitty

Reallllly love it.. <3

Need the see The Cat Returns next... T___T why no bluray yet.... also its disappointing to see that its not that long of a movie... only an hour and 15 minutes...

Forget the haters and see it. Is it probably Ghibli's worst film? Yes. Is it still better than most animated shit released nowadays? Yes. I watched it last week and didn't love it, but it was a fun film. Also, cat's. CAT'S ON CAT'S ON CAT'S.

LuuKyK

:/
art style looked interesting,,,,

My
S Ghibli film ratings

My Neighbor Totoro Masterpiece......
Princess Mononoke My first Ghibli film
Howl's Moving Castle Can watch if forever....
Whisper of the Heart Seen it for the first time day in my top 5.. <3
Spirited Away Classic
The Secret World of Arrietty Love this movie I cried at the end for awhile.. :*(
Ponyo :)
Tales From Earthsea Gets alot of hate but I really enjoyed it...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Looks great for its age.... nice story
The Castle in The Sky liked it...two nice characters

not sure why but Porco Rosso is the only one of which I've seen I just didn't like very much... I did watch the Eng dub though didn't like Micheal Keaton's voice over.... also for me something I always love is the artist style.. not sure it just didn't set with me.... Totoro is older but looks better... maybe it will look better on bluray...maybe I really should give it another watch and watch it in Japanese next time....

No love for Grave of the Fireflies? :(

But outside of that, thats pretty much how I feel too. I cant help but love all of their films, even the ones that are not THAT good. :p They simply set a tone, its hard to describe. Its really something else.

neoism

No love for Grave of the Fireflies? :(

But outside of that, thats pretty much how I feel too. I cant help but love all of their films, even the ones that are not THAT good. :p They simply set a tone, its hard to describe. Its really something else.

I more than likely would love it but I've never seen it.. I got spoiled too :(... I did just watch From Up on Poppy Hill was really nice, and well animated but the story was just ok... I will watch GotF one day when I feel like crying.. :p :/

ALSO WHHHHY in the fuck isn't Spirited Away on bluray.....@_@ Disney is fucking stupid.. I mean wtf...

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
ALSO WHHHHY in the fuck isn't Spirited Away on bluray.....@_@ Disney is fucking stupid.. I mean wtf...

It has nothing to do with Disney, Ghibli hasn't released it on Blu-Ray yet at all in Japan. It will probably be one of the last back catalog releases so they can hype it up.

Forget the haters and see it. Is it probably Ghibli's worst film? Yes. Is it still better than most animated shit released nowadays? Yes. I watched it last week and didn't love it, but it was a fun film. Also, cat's. CAT'S ON CAT'S ON CAT'S.

it's not ghibli's worst film! I honestly don't understand the hate...characters were interesting, narrative and pacing were nice and fluent (unlike earthsee) and the story was FUCKING cute

Coreda

They were a double release aka they were shown back to back in theaters so people wouldn't feel so sad after Grave of the Fireflies.

I saw a re-run of the double and they played GotF after Totoro... smh

From what I remember of the experience while watching Fireflies it was kind of like I was expecting something that would make me cry, yet the film didn't pander to that and instead left me in this kind of powerful emotional/depressing state all the way through (and I'm used to crying during films). It intelligently steers clear of heavy-handed tear-jerker moments and meaningful conclusions, etc.

Coreda

Well I'm a little LTTP but I found out about the tradition in Japan of tweeting of Sheeta's incantation "Balse/Balus" during the Japanese TV broadcast of Laputa: Castle in the Sky, at the moment she says the destruction spell. Both in 2011 and 2013 it broke the Twitter record for most number tweets per second, this year it was 143,199.

After the North American release of the last Studio Ghibli movie, From Up on Poppy Hill, was handled by GKids, the studio is back with Disney for cofounder Hayao Miyzaki's new The Wind Rises. Cartoon Brew reports that an initial theatrical distribution announcement was made this, with more plans to come at a later date.

In 2011, GKids signed a deal with Studio Ghibli for theatrical and non-theatrical distribution rights in North America to 13 Studio Ghibli films released between 1984 and 2002, including Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away, and followed that with the first run theatrical rights to From Up on Poppy Hill.
Prior to that, Ghibli movies has been part of distribution deals with Disney going back to 1996.

The Wind Rises made its North American premiere August 20th at the Toronto International Film Festival.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...yao-miyazakis-the-wind-rises-in-north-america

zeroshiki

If they weren't in a Hayao Miyazaki film, there's almost no chance they will be for Takahata. Both movies have difficult subject matter as well.

Sushigod7

Well I'm a little LTTP but I found out about the tradition in Japan of tweeting of Sheeta's incantation "Balse/Balus" during the Japanese TV broadcast of Laputa: Castle in the Sky, at the moment she says the destruction spell. Both in 2011 and 2013 it broke the Twitter record for most number tweets per second, this year it was 143,199.

That's pretty cool didn't know about that.

Regiruler

I literally never heard of Tales from Earthsea before reading this thread. That cover looks awesome: is it any good?

If it gives perspective, Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite although to be fair I haven't seen Spirited Away from start to finish.

javac

I literally never heard of Tales from Earthsea before reading this thread. That cover looks awesome: is it any good?

If it gives perspective, Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite although to be fair I haven't seen Spirited Away from start to finish.

Spirited Away is phenomenal. My favourite movie of all time. God it's absolute perfection. The music. The animation. The character designs. The creativity. The world. The pacing. Gosh I watched it today after a long time and man it puts me to tears. It's perfection.

My top 5 Miyazaki/Takahata films

1 - Hesei-era Tanuki War Pompoko
2 - Castle of Cagliostro
3 - My Neighbor Totoro
4 - Castle In the Sky
5 - Kiki's Delivery Service

mltplkxr

Stumbled on the opening theme from Nausicaä while listening to music on random today. Hadn't heard that in years. The goosebumps...

neoism

people like to shit on it for some reason... but I liked it alot.... but when I watched it I caught the English dub on Starz last summer in the morning and I was really high.. lol

Gor&#333;'s From up on Poppy Hill is better directed but its a little boring in the subject matter..but still like TFE better...

Sushigod7

Spirited Away is phenomenal. My favourite movie of all time. God it's absolute perfection. The music. The animation. The character designs. The creativity. The world. The pacing. Gosh I watched it today after a long time and man it puts me to tears. It's perfection.

iyfvPH71iBH4x.gif

mltplkxr

The beginning piece and the end piece. Brilliant stuff.

Speaking of Nausicaa, finished the last three pieces to my ten part series:

Nausicaa 6-2: The God Warrior
Nausicaa 7-1: The Garden
Nausicaa 7-2: The Crypt

Impressive! Judging from your background and the fact you live in BC, the manga must have a very special significance for you.

I'm due for a re-read (my third) of the manga. Just need to decided if I go with the new US box set or the French full size series.

WorldStar

Banned
I just beat Ni No Kuni.

Anyone that is a fan of video games and Studio Ghibli needs to play this game ASAP.

Easily the most beautiful game of this generation IMO. For the unaware, the game was developed by Level-5 and Studio Ghibli.

Servbot24

Banned
I just beat Ni No Kuni.

Anyone that is a fan of video games and Studio Ghibli need to play this game ASAP.

Easily the most beautiful game of this generation IMO. For the unaware, the game was developed by Level-5 and Studio Ghibli.

Only a few hours into this, but it absorbs me in a way very, very few games can accomplish. It's joyful just to run around. Not technically the best game ever, but it is still wonderful.

WorldStar

Banned
Only a few hours into this, but it absorbs me in a way very, very few games can accomplish. It's joyful just to run around. Not technically the best game ever, but it is still wonderful.

The combat system is slightly flawed at times. The story is great, however, and the visuals and soundtrack are on a different level.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Scullibundo said:
Once again, great stuff. It really is Miyazaki's magnum opus.

Thanks for reading! For me, it really is a great work on par with Herbert's Dune or Tolkien's Middle Earth. It feels like a broader and more complex version of Princess Mononoke.

Impressive! Judging from your background and the fact you live in BC, the manga must have a very special significance for you.

I'm due for a re-read (my third) of the manga. Just need to decided if I go with the new US box set or the French full size series.

It is a profoundly influential piece of work for me. I identified with Miyazaki's struggles with his own worldview as it evolved throughout the entire manga.

I love the box set, but I think the full size 7 volume set are easier to read. Personal preference :)

Top Bottom