• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hope that means the Bluray isn't too far away, Ghibli films always take a year between theatrical and home release.

Ponyo took around 6-7 months, while Arrietty only took about 3-4 months. Poppy Hill, which wasn't distributed by Disney, took around 5-6 months.

So I'd say we're looking at a summer/fall 2014 Blu ray release for The Wind Rises in the US, which is much sooner that I'd anticipated. Excellent.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Would be nice to see him win a second one as a retirement gift. The field is pretty pathetic this year though.

SKINNER!

Banned
If you get lucky, the short film they show will be the kitten bus one so Totoro is a must.

Just got back from the Ghibli Museum today and was fortunate enough to catch a short film they were screening. Wasn't the kitten bus sadly. "Looking for a home" was shown instead and it was truly incredible. Simple, fun story. Loved the human sound effects thing that was going on. Hardly any Japanese dialogue was present which was interesting. Everyone was laughing. The ticket stub was like actual frame film stills. Coupled with how cool the museum is and the vast amount of info there was I'd highly recommend checking it out. One room in particular on the ground floor called "The beginning of motion" or something had this display of actual clay ghibli characters brought to life with a strobe lighting effect and some string music playing in there room. Sat down and watched it for 10 minutes as I just pondered about life. It was beautiful. I'd post pictures of the ticket and stuff I got from the gift store but I don't have access to a PC where I can upload them from my camera.

Desmond

I'm on mobile now so I can't link, but the Ghibli international twitter account has tweeted some gorgeous art from Princess Kaguya.

omgkitty

I'm on mobile now so I can't link, but the Ghibli international twitter account has tweeted some gorgeous art from Princess Kaguya.

BUbsjQbCUAAoXn_.jpg:large

BUfQ-rFCAAEA2XJ.jpg:large

BUiAjLnCEAEVS31.jpg:large

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
More psyched about this than anything Ghibli's done since Spirited Away. Wonder if this will be Takahata's last film :(

zeroshiki

Just got back from the Ghibli Museum today and was fortunate enough to catch a short film they were screening. Wasn't the kitten bus sadly. "Looking for a home" was shown instead and it was truly incredible. Simple, fun story. Loved the human sound effects thing that was going on. Hardly any Japanese dialogue was present which was interesting. Everyone was laughing. The ticket stub was like actual frame film stills. Coupled with how cool the museum is and the vast amount of info there was I'd highly recommend checking it out. One room in particular on the ground floor called "The beginning of motion" or something had this display of actual clay ghibli characters brought to life with a strobe lighting effect and some string music playing in there room. Sat down and watched it for 10 minutes as I just pondered about life. It was beautiful. I'd post pictures of the ticket and stuff I got from the gift store but I don't have access to a PC where I can upload them from my camera.

I've seen that short. There was literally no dialogue. I thought the human sound effects were really weird and distracting at first but I got used to it. Great short if not rather pointless.

That clay display is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. I've been to Ghibli museum 4 times or so and I always just stand in front of it in a trance.

zeroshiki

There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.

The description says that its gonna be about the relationship of the 3 men who form the backbone of Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki.

watershed

Banned
There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.

The description says that its gonna be about the relationship of the 3 men who form the backbone of Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki.
This sounds amazing. I hope it gets subbed in English fast!

Just watched From Up On Poppy Hill, found it very enjoyable. Probably the best Ghibli film since Howl. (I like Arrietty, but I felt this was better.) Nice to see that Goro can deliver.

Daft_Cat

I saw The Wind Rises here in LA last night. What an incredible movie. It's definitely very close to the top of the Ghibli pile, not to mention the perfect movie for Miyazaki to conclude his filmography

Daft_Cat

It was also easily one of the most subtly haunting films I've ever seen. I'd read that some people were disappointed that the war doesn't play a huge role in the story, considering it revolves around the designer of the Zero. On the contrary though, I felt the inevitability of the war hung like a shadow over nearly every scene. There's a real sense of dread buried deep beneath the surface.

thenexus6

Very much looking forward to this!

omgkitty

Sounds like something great that will never be released in English or in the US.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I saw The Wind Rises here in LA last night. What an incredible movie. It's definitely very close to the top of the Ghibli pile, not to mention the perfect movie for Miyazaki to conclude his filmography

I saw Wind Rises this weekend and it just might be my favorite Miyazaki movie. Easily his most emotionally resonant. Such a great film.

Holy shit. Wow. That's high praise. I can't wait
till Disney sluggishly decides to release it on Blu ray in 5 years so
I can finally watch it!

Sounds like something great that will never be released in English or in the US.

If Disney doesn't release it then I'm sure GKids will.

UrbanRats

If they're smart, the distributors will capitalize on Miyazaki's retirement, which was, after all, global news. Disney is Pixar and Pixar is Disney so it will really come down to which horse they'll want to back, and I'd put my chips on the final work of an internationally renowned filmmaker rather than the solid sequel.

Wasn't he retiring after Mononoke too? Is this time for real?

Also, Disney has the Snow Queen (or however is called) coming out this year, too, and to be honest their animation studio has been better than Pixar's in my book, since Tangled at least.

Dresden

Wasn't he retiring after Mononoke too? Is this time for real?

It was about as official as it gets. He's working on a samurai manga right now though, so it's not complete seclusion or anything. Wouldn't be surprised to see him direct a short in a year or two.

It was about as official as it gets. He's working on a samurai manga right now though, so it's not complete seclusion or anything. Wouldn't be surprised to see him direct a short in a year or two.

U2COz.gif

This is the best news ever. Bless your heart. I'd prefer something more along the lines of fantasy, but another Miyazaki manga? I'd take it in any form. Fucking excited now. Is there any more info on this other than it being a samurai manga?

GCX

His only manga was god-tier, so as long as he finishes, it's all good!
He has done plenty of manga besides Nausicaa.

Hayao Miyazaki's Daydream Data Notes for example is a godlike collection of his short manga stories.

questionmark said:
Is there any more info on this other than it being a samurai manga?
It's about war that was fought in Japan during 16th century. It alters history so much though that "even Toshio Suzuki wouldn't dare to produce a movie out of it" according to Miyazaki.

jerry1594

Good trailer, but it's interesting that there isn't really any explicit representation of the A6M Zero. I wonder if Disney is worried about the impact that imagery could have on marketing the film to an American audience.
That's weird. I thought the US distribution rights had gone to another company. Anyway the film doesn't focus much on the war.

Good trailer, but it's interesting that there isn't really any explicit representation of the A6M Zero. I wonder if Disney is worried about the impact that imagery could have on marketing the film to an American audience.

There's not a lot about the A6M in the movie really. More about the A5M.

This trailer gives a better impression about what the movie is about then that TIFF trailer as I see it.

Top Bottom