• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Daft_Cat

That's weird. I thought the US distribution rights had gone to another company. Anyway the film doesn't focus much on the war.

There's not a lot about the A6M in the movie really. More about the A5M.

This trailer gives a better impression about what the movie is about then that TIFF trailer as I see it.

Yah, I've seen the movie. I know the film doesn't focus on the war, but
the development of the Zero (or the A5M..it's predecessor) easily occupies 40 percent of the running time.

While I do agree this trailer hits the tone of the film a lot more than the previous one, I definitely think Disney is sort of hiding the specifics of that side of the film in anticipation of it being potentially controversial to an American audience.

Honestly, I think it's smart. I've heard a lot of people saying the film romanticizes the development of a weapon of war, but I don't think Miyazaki's in it to make any sort of specific political statement about World War 2.

zeroshiki

The film is rather explicitly anti-war though. If you go in and watch it and get the impression that it was glorifying weapons of war, then you probably didn't really watch it and just stared at the pretty pictures for 2 hours.

Daft_Cat

The film is rather explicitly anti-war though. If you go in and watch it and get the impression that it was glorifying weapons of war, then you probably didn't really watch it and just stared at the pretty pictures for 2 hours.

Agreed. I'm not arguing that the controversy is earned. I just think Disney is probably going to cautiously market around those elements of the film.

Or maybe not. I guess time will tell. I do know that you can't really find a discussion of The Wind Rises online without all this bullshit coming up.

omgkitty

Here are some images of Miyazaki working on his new manga:

tumblr_mwi0xj090K1qbg80vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mwi0xj090K1qbg80vo2_500.jpg

tumblr_mwi0xj090K1qbg80vo3_500.jpg

tumblr_mwi0xj090K1qbg80vo4_500.jpg

zeroshiki

I saw that documentary. He actually fucked up the upper right panel near the sound effect by spilling a drop of ink on it. It was funny seeing him so concerned about the page and laughing while he tried to repair it.

LuuKyK

I don't want to get banned for cross posting too much but I saw Kaguya-hime today and posted my impressions here. Here too but its the same thing.

Loved your impressions zeroshiki. Thanks!

I have to ask though, is it as emotionally devastating as Grave of the Fireflies? I swear, that movie makes me cry like a baby every time. >_>

zeroshiki

Loved your impressions zeroshiki. Thanks!

I have to ask though, is it as emotionally devastating as Grave of the Fireflies? I swear, that movie makes me cry like a baby every time. >_>

Of course not. Nothing is as bad as Grave of the Fireflies. Kaguya-hime does have a sad sequence but it doesn't weigh on the movie. You will leave the theater feeling uplifted, of that I am sure.

LuuKyK

Of course not. Nothing is as bad as Grave of the Fireflies. Kaguya-hime does have a sad sequence but it doesn't weigh on the movie. You will leave the theater feeling uplifted, of that I am sure.

Whew, thats good for a change! I am not sure I would be able to endure another story like GotF. Such a sad movie! Amazing, but sad.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't want to get banned for cross posting too much but I saw Kaguya-hime today and posted my impressions here. Here too but its the same thing.

Don't ever be concerned about cross-posting whatever. Ghibli news is slim as it is, despite Nausicaa wiki surviving on the carcass of what it once was and Ghibli World feeling some sense of narcosis.

Dresden

Thanks for the impressions. The wait will be a long one.

Takahata doing fantasy doesn't surprise me, though. He's not exactly new to it! I wonder what his career would be like - at least in how it's perceived outside of Japan - if he'd worked less on TV.

zeroshiki

Thanks for the impressions. The wait will be a long one.

Takahata doing fantasy doesn't surprise me, though. He's not exactly new to it! I wonder what his career would be like - at least in how it's perceived outside of Japan - if he'd worked less on TV.

Well, at the very least, the most famous(well-regarded?) Ghibli movie internationally (Spirited Away notwithstanding) is probably a Takahata work. Grave is always brought up as an example of animation going beyond kids' stuff and something that made Roger Ebert say:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-grave-of-the-fireflies-1988
Ebert said:
An emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation.

Dresden

I mean in the sense of being defined by Grave, rather than some of his more fantastical work. A good bulk of his career is unavailable to international fans.

zeroshiki

Kaguya-hime came in number 1 in the weekend box office rankings. It made 280 million yen its first 2 days (2 million dollars). It came in 78% of the opening weekend of Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children Ame and Yuki and will probably settle in somewhere below that. If anyone's curious, its also below Kaze Tachinu's first week (゚д゚)!of nearly 1 billion yen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kaguya-hime came in number 1 in the weekend box office rankings. It made 2 billion yen its first 2 days (20 million dollars). It came in 78% of the opening weekend of Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children Ame and Yuki and will probably settle in somewhere below that. If anyone's curious, its also 15% Kaze Tachinu's first week (゚д゚)!of 15 billion yen.

Wow Miyazaki is still da king. I take it Takahata's films don't have the same amount of...cache, hype, and prestige as Miyazaki's films do in Japan?

zeroshiki

Whoops wrong numbers. Thanks to Articalys for correcting me.

Wow Miyazaki is still da king. I take it Takahata's films don't have the same amount of...cache, hype, and prestige as Miyazaki's films do in Japan?

Yeah, Takahata barely makes movies anymore and his name doesn't have the same cache as Miyazaki.

epmode

Is there any chance of an American release of Mononoke? I'll grab the Japanese one if not but Japanese bluray prices are out of control and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

epmode

Probably, considering Disney localized all the other films.

Mononoke in particular could be a problem because of the Miramax thing. Does Disney have the rights to the film?

Why is the US shit for ghibili releases?

Our packaging isn't great but the transfers have been excellent. My only real complaint is how Disney used dubtitles in Castle in the Sky. I only know a few scattered Japanese phrases but even I can tell that the translation is strange.

LuuKyK

Mononoke in particular could be a problem because of the Miramax thing. Does Disney have the rights to the film?

I am unaware of this problem. What is it about? I saw some films like Grave of the Fireflies that have different versions from different publishers up for sale on amazon. There is no Disney version for that one. Is it a similar issue in this case you mentioned?

Shergal

Does Kaguya-Hime involve any rotoscope?
I don't think so. It's exceedingly rare for Japanese animators to make use of rotoscope. Rotoscope is not really that common anywhere in traditional animation, for that matter, but even less so in Japan.

Shinji Hashimoto (the main lead animator of the film) has been known in the past to film himself acting out certain actions to use as reference footage for his animation, and animators generally use quite a bit of reference footage when animating realistically, but there's no tracing involved. He just watched the video and tried to get down the feel of the movement from that. I think there's even someone acting out a scene in one of the trailers in the little making-of video they posted here

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there any chance of an American release of Mononoke?

There definitely will be a US Blu Ray release of Princess Mononoke.

considering Disney localized all the other films.

Sentai Filmworks did the US Grave of the Fireflies Blu Ray and GKids handled the US theatrical/home video distribution of From Up on Poppy Hill, so even if Disney doesn't release PM (I'm not sure if Disney even owns the rights to PM anyway), there's still a very good chance that Sentai or GKids will bring it over.

EDIT: Or yeah, Disney could release it under their Touchstone label.

Ratrat

Just saw Kaguyahime. Incredibly beautiful visually and poignant. Kind of reminded me of Wolf Children.

Though it was better than The Wind Rises.

TheChits

Figured this was as good a place to post as any. The Nausicaa manga set is $30 at amazon with the code "bookdeal". A steal at that price

Still too expensive. Why did I have to buy a dozen BRs again this year? Just release a complete box set for 200 bucks and I'll finally buy them.

There definitely will be a US Blu Ray release of Princess Mononoke.

Sentai Filmworks did the US Grave of the Fireflies Blu Ray and GKids handled the US theatrical/home video distribution of From Up on Poppy Hill, so even if Disney doesn't release PM (I'm not sure if Disney even owns the rights to PM anyway), there's still a very good chance that Sentai or GKids will bring it over.

EDIT: Or yeah, Disney could release it under their Touchstone label.

I thought Disney didn't have the US rights anymore to mononke?

So after yesterday's New York Film Critics Circle saw The Wind Rises win best animated feature, it just won today at the National Board of Review.

Get that polish ready, Miyazaki.

Top Bottom