• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought Disney didn't have the US rights anymore to mononke?

(I'm not sure if Disney even owns the rights to PM anyway)

So after yesterday's New York Film Critics Circle saw The Wind Rises win best animated feature, it just won today at the National Board of Review.

Get that polish ready, Miyazaki.

I hope he wins another Oscar. BTW, is he still protesting the Iraq war?

Frost_Ace

Man, I rewatched Porco Rosso the other day, it's such a masterpiece of a film. Genuinely moving.

I still have to catch up on some other Ghibli movies, hope to do it soon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I haven't ordered from Amazon.jp in a long time...

Mononoke was picked up from Amazon in Japan at 2:30 PM yesterday (japan time), and got to me today at 5pm Denver time.

zeroshiki

I hope he wins another Oscar. BTW, is he still protesting the Iraq war?

Miyazaki is basically old man yelling at the clouds. He had an interview a few months ago talking about how the Japanese government were idiots for wanting to revive the military and that they should be ashamed about comfort women. He's a hippie liberal.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8482016&postcount=724

Some screens of Princess Mononoke on Blu-ray; they look stunning.

I said golfham.

Stunning.
00001_m2ts_snapshot_0b5rgr.png

watershed

Banned
Miyazaki is basically old man yelling at the clouds. He had an interview a few months ago talking about how the Japanese government were idiots for wanting to revive the military and that they should be ashamed about comfort women. He's a hippie liberal.

I thought the idea of "old man yelling at clouds" only applies when the "old man" is speaking non-sense?

Eusis

Are these captures from the Japanese Blu-Ray? I've read that the Disney release runs it through some filtering to remove the original texture, which is why I've only bought the Japanese versions.
Why the hell do they do that? Is it just that fucked with Americans and blu-ray quality or is this to disincentive reverse importing?

I saw kaguya hime this week. It's really nice. The art style generally didn't dazzle me, except in a couple particular scenes which were really special. I also have an interest in traditional Japanese music, and the combination of the music and art direction really pleased me. I also liked how it didn't feel at all dumbed down or aimed at a young audience - it isn't 'edgy' either, it just takes the opportunity to explore the feelings of the main characters and make them more than just actors in a fairytale. It's very different to the usual Ghibli, and thus I didn't feel any over-saturation despite having just scene kazetachinu a few months ago.

Coreda

Why the hell do they do that? Is it just that fucked with Americans and blu-ray quality or is this to disincentive reverse importing?

It was to remove/reduce the 35mm film texture. Read about it years ago, and actually, after finding the original article it's nothing major. The real difference from the comparisons is the UK release, which is definitely smoothed-out.

The JP Blu-Ray of Nausicaa was 40GB, while the US version was 25GB. I think at the time while deciding which to buy I chose the JP version as I wanted the best quality. Which is why I stuck to them.

Comparison (top JP, middle US, bottom UK):

Arguably it's not all rosy though, as one thing I noticed on the JP Laputa release was the presence of subtle gate-weave in the occasional scene (the moving of the film as it's read). I imagine the US version corrects this? (I could also probably fix this myself with AviSynth if I could be bothered to encode it :p).

omgkitty

It was to remove/reduce the 35mm film texture. Read about it years ago, and actually, after finding the original article it's nothing major. The real difference from the comparisons is the UK release, which is definitely smoothed-out.

The JP Blu-Ray of Nausicaa was 40GB, while the US version was 25GB. I think at the time while deciding which to buy I chose the JP version as I wanted the best quality. Which is why I stuck to them.

Arguably it's not all rosy though, as one thing I noticed on the JP Laputa release was the presence of subtle gate-weave in the occasional scene (the moving of the film as it's read). I imagine the US version corrects this? (I could also probably fix this myself with AviSynth if I could be bothered to encode it :p).

While I think it's easy to see that the amount of film grain decreases as you move from the JP, to US to UK release, I have no idea how someone could tell that much of a difference while actually watching the films unless they had them side by side.

AC!D

???

Where did I say that?

Miyazaki complains about everything. That was my point. The relative accuracy or correct-ness of his complaints have nothing to do with what I said.

You only use 'old man yelling at clouds' when the old man in question is talking bollocks. Which in this case, he [Miyazaki] is clearly not.

gloomy

Neo Member
???

Where did I say that?

Miyazaki complains about everything. That was my point. The relative accuracy or correct-ness of his complaints have nothing to do with what I said.

His films have very specific themes and his beliefs are the same. I take exception to dismissing peoples beliefs with ageist statements.

Eusis

Well, reverse importing largely means the practice of Japan importing blu-rays from the US because theirs are so ludicrously expensive.
Yeah, this. It's terminology typically used for importing the foreign version of something from your own country, usually for pricing reasons. Though I have to imagine censorship/alterations and possibly better packages are other reasons.

Ah, yeah, I guess it really isn't something I'd sweat over afterall. That packaging on the other hand, damn.

The English language voice cast for The Wind Rises has officially been announced:

http://www.slashfilm.com/joseph-gor...oice-cast-for-hayao-miyazakis-the-wind-rises/
Gordon-Levitt will voice Jiro Horikoshi, a talented engineer who spends his life building planes, only to realize he can’t fix everything. The actor will be joined by an impressive list of names including his Looper co-star Emily Blunt, her husband John Krasinski, as well as Martin Short, Stanley Tucci, Mandy Patinkin, William H. Macy, Werner Herzog (!), Mae Whitman, Jennifer Grey, Darren Criss, Elijah Wood and Ronan Farrow.

My excitement has officially gone into overdrive! I love all of this.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty awesome cast...of live-action actors
The only one I'd be chomping at the bit to cast in a cartoon is Werner Herzog.

They'll probably do a good job. Stanley Tucci seems like a good choice. But it's a bit weird to me that Disney chose to release a dub of this any way. It's not a kids movie, so why do they feel the need to make it more acccessible? Why not just go for an arthouse release like DreamWorks used to do? I doubt there are many people in America who are open to a PG-13 animated drama but not subtitles.

watershed

Banned
The English language voice cast for The Wind Rises has officially been announced:

http://www.slashfilm.com/joseph-gor...oice-cast-for-hayao-miyazakis-the-wind-rises/

My excitement has officially gone into overdrive! I love all of this.

Its kind of funny but the English dubbs of Ghibli films always have top shelf talent since Disney has taken over the rights. I remember Christian Bale as Howl. Sometimes he sounded exactly like Batman!

That's a pretty awesome cast...of live-action actors
The only one I'd be chomping at the bit to cast in a cartoon is Werner Herzog.

They'll probably do a good job. Stanley Tucci seems like a good choice. But it's a bit weird to me that Disney chose to release a dub of this any way. It's not a kids movie, so why do they feel the need to make it more acccessible? Why not just go for an arthouse release like DreamWorks used to do? I doubt there are many people in America who are open to a PG-13 animated drama but not subtitles.

Disney has gone back and re-dubbed almost all Ghibli films including My Neighbors the Yamadas and Porco Rosso. I'm glad they are doing it. Its a service and a good option for any English speaking Ghibli fans. They tend to treat Ghibli stuff with great care.

javac

I just bought the Steelbooks too and is wondering of ways to protect them. What kind of plastic covering do you use and where can I buy them too?

Heh. I just kept mine in the wrapper they came in. I have the usual Slipcover Blu-rays and the Deluxe Ponyo Blu-ray so I just bought the steelbooks for the appearance apparently lol.

The Japanese Blu-rays come in a nice plastic wallet that I keep them in. I guess you could get something like this? Can't vouch for them since I never bought any. Sorry.

T Dollarz

My friend brought over Princess Mononoke last week. We smoked and watched it. I had no idea what it was. But just... wow. That bull. What an awesome movie. I think I liked it more than Spirited Away.

Top Bottom