• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Just saw kaguyahime no monogatari, the art is beautiful and I really like the story. Not my favorite Ghibli (mononoke hime and Grave of the fireflies) but a really good one.

Fritz

Did you even watch the video before posting? There's like no CG in this trailer.

What's with your tone? I based this solely on watching the trailer and I think there are quite a few parts or effects that look like cgi to me. Some bits of water, some shadows, some parallaxing. But whatever, I'm out.

Caoz

Spirited Away is my favourite Ghibli and probably the one I've watched the most, but I don't know what you mean by this. Any chance you can elaborate?

Its a beautiful character that goes through a transformation. I guess I though of using poem because I found Chihiro as a character to be beautiful and complex. That word just came to mind. So full of emotion too.

watershed

Banned
What's with your tone? I based this solely on watching the trailer and I think there are quite a few parts or effects that look like cgi to me. Some bits of water, some shadows, some parallaxing. But whatever, I'm out.
If my tone offended you then I'm sorry. But I still don't get how you could watch that trailer and think it's a "CG fest". The overwhelming majority of Ghibli stuff is hand drawn. Yes they use some CG but not much. This new film looks no different than their past, high quality hand drawn animation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder what's going on with the next batch of blu rays?

Target is still advertising Kiki for the 22nd of this month, but there still hasn't been any confirmation from Disney for some reason and F.Y.E. is advertising The Wind Rises for November 18th, but, again, Disney hasn't confirmed anything yet.

WTF is going on over there? :/

So I saw When Marnie was There yesterday. Haven't cried so much in a Ghibli movie since Grave of the Fireflies, though it isn't nearly as sad, just touching. I usually prefer the movies based on Japanese mythology etc but I thought this was better than Arietty, which in turn I thought was better than The Wind Rises so I guess it is my favourite in quite a few years (though the art in Kaguya-hime alone made it stand out too). Any questions?

ZoddGutts

lol

Anyways the trailer looked great animation wise. Still not sure about the story, hope it's good though.

watershed

Banned
So I saw When Marnie was There yesterday. Haven't cried so much in a Ghibli movie since Grave of the Fireflies, though it isn't nearly as sad, just touching. I usually prefer the movies based on Japanese mythology etc but I thought this was better than Arietty, which in turn I thought was better than The Wind Rises so I guess it is my favourite in quite a few years (though the art in Kaguya-hime alone made it stand out too). Any questions?

How was the music? Also what is the tone of the film? You said you cried because the movie is touching but is it as imaginative and wondrous as Spirited Away or Howl's or is it more personal like Kiki?

GCX

Anyone else seen the Kingdom of Dreams and Madness documentary?

It's a great little window to Miyazaki's daily routine during The Wind Rises production. Although I've seen him in numerous other documentaries and other stuff before, this one feels a lot more personal. One of the main themes is the love/hate relationship between Miyazaki and Takahata which is really complicated and hilarious. Also Miyazaki's humor seems to be getting dryer and more and more sarcastic as he ages if that's even possible.

How was the music? Also what is the tone of the film? You said you cried because the movie is touching but is it as imaginative and wondrous as Spirited Away or Howl's or is it more personal like Kiki?
In all honesty I didn't really notice the music so much until the end credits, it wasn't really a focus as in other titles, perhaps because there wasn't a whole lot of action to be framed. No, it isn't imaginitive and fantasy-like such as those other titles - which is what I was referring to when I said I like the more mythological titles - it is extremely personal in that it focuses on the protagonists' feelings of loneliness, grief, yearning for love (not necessarily romantic - in fact the love between these two girls is at east as strong if not stronger than any other bond I can think of between two characters in a Ghibli movie).

watershed

Banned
In all honesty I didn't really notice the music so much until the end credits, it wasn't really a focus as in other titles, perhaps because there wasn't a whole lot of action to be framed. No, it isn't imaginitive and fantasy-like such as those other titles - which is what I was referring to when I said I like the more mythological titles - it is extremely personal in that it focuses on the protagonists' feelings of loneliness, grief, yearning for love (not necessarily romantic - in fact the love between these two girls is at east as strong if not stronger than any other bond I can think of between two characters in a Ghibli movie).

Cool thanks. I like when Ghibli makes smaller, intimate films. There's a kind of deft touch to their films that is rare in animated features.

Anyone else seen the Kingdom of Dreams and Madness documentary?

It's a great little window to Miyazaki's daily routine during The Wind Rises production. Although I've seen him in numerous other documentaries and other stuff before, this one feels a lot more personal. One of the main themes is the love/hate relationship between Miyazaki and Takahata which is really complicated and hilarious. Also Miyazaki's humor seems to be getting dryer and more and more sarcastic as he ages if that's even possible.

How would you compare it to the ridiculous, multipart making of Mononoke documentary? I think that is the most in-depth look at Ghibli ever released.

GCX

How would you compare it to the ridiculous, multipart making of Mononoke documentary? I think that is the most in-depth look at Ghibli ever released.
The two documentaries have a very different focus and style.

While the Mononoke doc shows a lot of stuff happening in the studio and how Mononoke actually got made, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is foremost a character study about Miyazaki (and to a lesser extent Takahata and Toshio Suzuki). This is the most personal documentary you'll ever see about Miyazaki since the camera follows him not only in Ghibli but also to his home. There are a few very personal scenes in the movie like the morning before he's about to make his retirement announcement and the moment when they get the idea that Anno should be the voice of Jiro in The Wind Rises.

The doc doesn't really tell anything about how The Wind Rises or The Tale of Princess Kaguya got made, you see it happening in the background but the focus is on Miyazaki and his relationship to Takahata and other Ghibli staff.

Also this is Miyazaki's view on Ghibli's future in the doc.

Desmond

What's the best way at getting tickets for the Museum in Tokyo? Can I easily by them before I arrive or would it be better to buy in a Lawson store or something in Japan?

Also, thanks for the Marnie impressions. Liking the sound of it.

neoism

The two documentaries have a very different focus and style.

While the Mononoke doc shows a lot of stuff happening in the studio and how Mononoke actually got made, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is foremost a character study about Miyazaki (and to a lesser extent Takahata and Toshio Suzuki). This is the most personal documentary you'll ever see about Miyazaki since the camera follows him not only in Ghibli but also to his home. There are a few very personal scenes in the movie like the morning before he's about to make his retirement announcement and the moment when they get the idea that Anno should be the voice of Jiro in The Wind Rises.

The doc doesn't really tell anything about how The Wind Rises or The Tale of Princess Kaguya got made, you see it happening in the background but the focus is on Miyazaki and his relationship to Takahata and other Ghibli staff.

Also this is Miyazaki's view on Ghibli's future in the doc.
:*(

Kuraudo

Banned
What's the best way at getting tickets for the Museum in Tokyo? Can I easily by them before I arrive or would it be better to buy in a Lawson store or something in Japan?

Also, thanks for the Marnie impressions. Liking the sound of it.

You can buy them online before you arrive. They're sold by local travel agents, so who you buy them from depends on which country you're in - there's a list with links on the museum's website.

I have a friend who recently moved to Japan and, when he went to the museum, he was able to get his ticket from Lawsons that day no problem, but for peace of mind, I'd probably buy them online in advance anyway.

Anyway, I'm a little envious. The Ghibli Museum was probably the highlight of my trip to Tokyo. Mitaka is a gorgeous little place to walk around too - a nice break from the hustle of the city.

frontovik

Banned
Okay, silly question:

I've bought a copy of the (JPN) Blu-Ray edition of The Wind Rises directly from Amazon Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00J2NX8NW/

However, the disc is not recognised by the DVD player connected to my computer or TV and it doesn't load the movie. While my copy of the (US) Blu-Ray edition of From Up On Poppy Hill works just fine.

What's causing the problem exactly? Is there a DVD region issue or do I need a blu-ray player for it work?

frontovik

Banned
Oops, you're right. It is the blu-ray/dvd combo of From Up On Poppy Hill.. (it seems I was misinformed about blurays working on DVD players)

I'll have to purchase a blu-ray player or PS3 then :)

You can buy them online before you arrive. They're sold by local travel agents, so who you buy them from depends on which country you're in - there's a list with links on the museum's website.

I have a friend who recently moved to Japan and, when he went to the museum, he was able to get his ticket from Lawsons that day no problem, but for peace of mind, I'd probably buy them online in advance anyway.

Anyway, I'm a little envious. The Ghibli Museum was probably the highlight of my trip to Tokyo. Mitaka is a gorgeous little place to walk around too - a nice break from the hustle of the city.

Yes try to get it via a travel agent before.

Yes the Ghibli museum is amazing - one of the highlights of my trip.

I was feeling very ill on the day in question and I nearly, nearly pulled out of going, but stuck with it and the moment I sat down in the mini theatre to watch the short film (I did this first and saw the day I harvested a star)), and I was so enthralled that I completely 'forgot' I was ill for the rest of the day.

Poorly shot roof garden reveal;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3eAl-eHS4

- - - - -

I'm really tempted to pick up the JPN Blu Ray of Spirited Away, I've got a few of the JPN versions already and am on the fence for this!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

How's the art direction in comparison of the more "grounded" movies like Whisper or Arrietty?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Chloe Grace Moretz will voice the title character in The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya, the latest animated pic from Studio Ghibli, the company co-founded by Japan animation icons Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, Darren Criss, Lucy Liu, Beau Bridges, James Marsden, Oliver Platt and Dean Cain also have signed up for the film, which GKIDS acquired in March to release in the U.S.

The indie distributor, which has four Best Animated Feature nominations since 2010, has set an October 17 release date timed to maximize awards-season play.

‘Tale Of The Princess Kaguya’ Sets English-Language Voice Cast, October Release Date

ombz

It's here! Not sure about the color but it still looks beautiful as usual.
imagejpg1.jpg

plenilune

Saw Marnie today. After Arietty I had extremely low expectations for this movie by the same director, but my friend insisted we go... and I'm glad I did! It was indeed a touching story with a satisfying end. Like Yonebayashi promised, it is a back-to-roots Ghibli movie aimed at adolescents, but still strikes a chord with a 32 y.o. grown-ass man like myself. If the overall direction was a little less artificial, and replaced lengthy explanations with more self-discovery, the movie might have been even more effective.

Top Bottom