• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So I want to get into Nausicaa, should I watch the movie before reading the manga? Or the opposite is reccomended?

The movie only covers a small portion of the manga, so it's not like watching the film will spoil you (much) on the book. But I watched the movie first and still haven't gotten around to reading the manga (it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year) so what do I know? :D

Llyranor

I'd say you'd be disappointed by what isn't shown in the film if you read the manga first. Go with the film.
Yeah, I'd go with this.

If you do get the manga, try to get this amazing hardcover boxset
GVxeQjn.jpg

so when the fuck is Spirited Away coming out blu ray and how can I acquire by any means neccesary

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00J2O3CU0/

July 16th

WEGGLES

but will it have english subtitles tho

From the google translate of that page:
Registration information
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Format: DTS Stereo, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen, Limited Edition
Language: Japanese, English
Subtitles: Japanese, English

As well, I've heard that the JP blurays have all subs/dubs on disc.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
Don't really have much to state, but I reckon I'm in the minority of thinking that Only Yesterday is the best Ghibli film. Further than that, at the moment I reckon it's the best film I've ever seen. It's just achingly beautiful in places, with an absolutely perfect ending.

Frost_Ace

Guys quick question about the the Nausicaa manga: my cousin told me the (expensive) italian version is printed in a sepia toned ink like the original japanese. I was wondering if the latest hardcover english version is printed with this kind of ink as well since it may influence my decision on which one to purchase.

Doombear

Guys quick question about the the Nausicaa manga: my cousin told me the (expensive) italian version is printed in a sepia toned ink like the original japanese. I was wondering if the latest hardcover english version is printed with this kind of ink as well since it may influence my decision on which one to purchase.

I just took this picture for you to take a look at. I wouldn't call it sepia, no. The ink isn't very dark, almost gray and the paper, while not bright white, definitely isn't sepia to me.

iZGAeLMHjXa69.png

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

I have the 7 volume edition and the hardcover edition. They're pretty much the same inside ink-wise, but I think I prefer the skinnier flexible ones for reading. But the hardcover is just gorgeous...

Frost_Ace

I just took this picture for you to take a look at. I wouldn't call it sepia, no. The ink isn't very dark, almost gray and the paper, while not bright white, definitely isn't sepia to me.

iZGAeLMHjXa69.png

I have the 7 volume edition and the hardcover edition. They're pretty much the same inside ink-wise, but I think I prefer the skinnier flexible ones for reading. But the hardcover is just gorgeous...
Thanks guys, I'll definitely get the hardcover version then :)

Blader

I... I also hope this happens.

(it's the first I've heard that Anno's interested!)

yeah it's just Anno saying he wants to do it and Miyazaki giving his blessing, but hopefully turns into something more concrete after Evangelion is done.

When asked about making a second film Miyazaki replied,

No, I don’t. I don’t really feel like doing it, but Anno keeps on saying, ‘I want to do it! I want to do it!,’ so I tell him now that I’ve come to think lately that if he wanted to do it, it would be fine for him to do it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08...-evangelion-creator-hideaki-anno-as-director/

Interestingly enough, when I googled Anno's name to find a source, the first autofill suggestion was "hideaki anno hates you" :lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Looks like Kiki is July 22 in NA http://www.fandompost.com/2014/06/01/kikis-delivery-service-anime-getting-july-blu-ray-release/

Probably is when The Wind Rises hits, too.

Hope we don't have to wait long for Spirited, Porco, Mononke and Cagliostro.

I hope this rumor is true. It's weird though - if it's coming out next month, why hasn't Disney issued a press release? Last year, Disney announced the May release dates for 'Totoro' and 'Howl's' in all the way back in February. We're less than two months from the supposed release of 'Kiki' (and I assume 'The Wind Rises' and one more title from the Ghibli back catalog) and yet we don't really even know if it's official or not.

Looks like Kiki is July 22 in NA http://www.fandompost.com/2014/06/01/kikis-delivery-service-anime-getting-july-blu-ray-release/

NA Cagliostro BD will hopefully make it out by December this year, but with all the stuff we're doing for extras it could slip into early 2015. I'd post a link to the blog we're doing about the movie but I dunno if that's frowned upon.

The Studio Canal Bluray release has the newer dub and has been out a year or two.

I don't personally own it, but I understand it only has the 1992 Streamline Pictures dub, not the 2000 Manga US dub. Also, the dub loses sync during the second half of the film.

Xamdou

Man all I want is U.S version of Princess Mononoke on Blu-ray... someone pm me when there's news about it!

Amazon is selling the japanase version but a bit too much: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IUOCE0C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

epmode

NA Cagliostro BD will hopefully make it out by December this year, but with all the stuff we're doing for extras it could slip into early 2015. I'd post a link to the blog we're doing about the movie but I dunno if that's frowned upon

I suppose you're with Discotek or whoever has the Cagliostro rights in NA. Will you be using the Japanese blu ray as the basis for the NA release? The Japanese Ghibli releases are pristine so it'll be great to finally have a top-tier Cagliostro release. I still don't own a subbed version with the animated credits sequence!

Man all I want is U.S version of Princess Mononoke on Blu-ray... someone pm me when there's news about it!

Amazon is selling the japanase version but a bit too much: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IUOCE0C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While the US releases haven't been quite as good as the Japanese releases, they're still close enough that it hardly matters to me. Not enough to pay an extra ~$50, anyway.

Man, I hope we get Mononoke over here. I always thought it was in distribution rights hell.

After Spirited Away and Howl's, my personal favorite, I haven't been able to get into much of the earlier stuff. I am hoping once again a film of theirs can grab me like Howl's, and I even prefer the English voice cast in that one.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It would be nice if The Wind Rises comes out then, but I'd rather have Porco Rosso first. I've been waiting a while on that one!

I think the general consensus is that we'll get all three this year.

Man, I hope we get Mononoke over here. I always thought it was in distribution rights hell.

Disney has the rights to Mononoke. If they're still releasing blu-rays next year, we'll probably get it then.

Number45

Just ordered Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Haven't seen it before (I've only watched Ponyo), looking forward to watching it with my daughters. :)

I suppose you're with Discotek or whoever has the Cagliostro rights in NA. Will you be using the Japanese blu ray as the basis for the NA release? The Japanese Ghibli releases are pristine so it'll be great to finally have a top-tier Cagliostro release. I still don't own a subbed version with the animated credits sequence!

I honestly don't know what we'll end up with on the video end, that's not my department, if you will. I expect Discotek will try to secure the best source they can. Even if they're stuck with the old BD master, it'll definitely be an improvement over the 1080i VAP Japanese Blu-ray. In any case, the uncut opening credits will be included....it was part of their official announcement.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
GKids Takes Studio Ghibli Docu Feature ‘’The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness’

GKids has acquired rights to the U.S. and Canada on the documentary feature “The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness.”

Directed by Mami Sunada, “Kingdom” offers a privileged and rare fly-on-the-wall record of the inner workings and dedication that has created a legendary animation studio which is not only enigmatic but successful, helping to develop a commercially viable and often artistically stunning alternative to Hollywood’s juggernaut animation fare.

Having already proved in “Salesman” her ability to develop a film of large public appeal out of a private event – the death of her father from cancer – Sunada was granted near unfettered access to the publicity shy studio and, crucially, to its lifeblood: Director Hayao Miyazaki who has made most of its most-celebrated films; producer Toshiro Suzuki, and the more enigmatic but influential co-founder and “other director” at Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata.

Fritz

Lttp

I just watched From Up on Poppy Hill and absolutely loved it. Beautiful story, great characterization and settings. I got faith in Goro.

My copy of The Wind Rises arrived from Japan last Wednesday. I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet, but I can't wait.

One weird thing that I noticed, though, on the Blu-ray is that the sound is only Stereo, and the English dub (and just about every other track) is only Mono sound!

Does anyone know, was this done for some reason artistically, or is this just laziness on the mastering for the home video front (once again from modern Disney Blu-rays)?

Edit: Aha! Found this:

MONO – Director Hayao Miyazaki insisted on recording the audio for The Wind Rises in mono versus stereo. The choice, while limiting the ability to layer multiple sounds (dialogue, sound effects, background noise, music), allowed the director to showcase audio that he felt was most integral to the story.

Spruchy

Been itching to re-watch Kiki's and a shirt from Teefury.com put me over the edge.

Forgot how witty Jiji is, especially thanks to Hartman's improv'd lines, arguably changing the character for the better. Even if Kiki is only 13 (which is around the age I first watched it) the movie is really relatable for anyone leaving the house for the first time. And while it wasn't the first time for me, I left for New York about a year ago and it was enjoyable seeing Kiki go through some of the same hardships/trials that I did when coming to the city.

Anyway, great movie, going to watch Wind Rises for the first time this week.

Top Bottom