• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

So watched marnie today in shibuya. Its interesting howmfrozen is out for ages (since march in japan) and the newly released marnie cant beat it (although it was still sold out).

Anyways. The movie is probably one of the best ghibli has made but at the sametime its very unghibli-like. Its too hard to understand for kids and while its a fantasy movie the fantasy is very subtle. Also there is no cheerfulness unlike most of the ghibli movies. Actually its rather melancolic if not gloomy.

That being said the story, while starting a bit slow, is masterfully told and the conclusion is quite satisfying. I wont go into details too much but its probably a movie you will want to watch two or three times. And the music and the scenary is just amazing. Something that really is only possible because ghibli still makes handdrawn movies.

Apparently thats also the reason why this might be the last ghibli movie. The article i quoted suggests that ghibli has to pay so much on labor that it is not profitable to make movies. Last year kaguya hime was a big flop and while wind rises was succesful appraently they need such kind of movie every year to stay afloat. Apparently they are now just waiting for an appropriate time to announce the end.

Also marnie also seems like its a flop. It hurts me since this very well may be one of my top 5 ghibli movies but the numbers seem to be 80% of what kaguya made last year in a similar timeframe..

Blader

That would be a real shame if Ghibli closed for good, but unfortunately the writing has been on the wall for several years now. Through both no fault of their own and actual fault of their own, the studio has just been unable to foster any kind of lasting successor for Miyazaki, and as promising as Yonebayashi is (just going off Arrietty), it's probably too late now. The time to make that kind of change came and went with Kondo's death and Hosoda's departure.

Considering Ghibli is the house that Miyazaki and Takahata built, it's probably fitting that it dies with their retirement, but even still it'll mark the real end of an era for both anime and film in general.

The reviews for Marnie have been encouraging though, so if this is the end, it's nice that Ghibli will at least finish on a strong note.

krYlon

So watched marnie today in shibuya. Its interesting howmfrozen is out for ages (since march in japan) and the newly released marnie cant beat it (although it was still sold out).

Anyways. The movie is probably one of the best ghibli has made but at the sametime its very unghibli-like. Its too hard to understand for kids and while its a fantasy movie the fantasy is very subtle. Also there is no cheerfulness unlike most of the ghibli movies. Actually its rather melancolic if not gloomy.

That being said the story, while starting a bit slow, is masterfully told and the conclusion is quite satisfying. I wont go into details too much but its probably a movie you will want to watch two or three times. And the music and the scenary is just amazing. Something that really is only possible because ghibli still makes handdrawn movies.

Sounds fantastic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Target is apparently still advertising the Kiki's Delivery Service blu ray release on their end caps for tomorrow (the 22nd), so be on the look out for a possible super ultra mega stealth release, maybe.

Joqu

Hi guys, I want to start up a collection of Ghibli Blu-rays but I know that at least some of the EU releases are fucked quality-wise, is this the case for all of them? I definitely can't stand smoothing and things like that. And I do want my collection to look uniform for as much as possible.

Are the US releases my best option? I mean I'm guessing the Japanese versions remain king but I'd prefer to remain financially stable during this whole ordeal. :p

Or do you guys think those are still worth it or maybe even that the EU ones are fine?

lupinko

I saw Marnie last night and oh man such feels.

I will probably now rewatch it again hopefully sometime this week at the earliest.

Is there an OT for it? Because if not I want to make one ASAP.

Seriously the feels.

watershed

Banned
I saw Marnie last night and oh man such feels.

I will probably now rewatch it again hopefully sometime this week at the earliest.

Is there an OT for it? Because if not I want to make one ASAP.

Seriously the feels.
You can make one but there aren't many people who can discuss it with you so the thread would probably require spoiler tags and lots of people just asking questions about if it's the last Ghibli movie or not.

lupinko

You can make one but there aren't many people who can discuss it with you so the thread would probably require spoiler tags and lots of people just asking questions about if it's the last Ghibli movie or not.

Yeah that's true, but people who have read the book can discuss the movie since the story is more or less the same with some changes.

I found it amusing that a google search gives Marnie the synopsis of my all time favourite Ghibli movie instead.

40gxo5g.jpg

But I think Marnie will grow on me, I haven't had such feels since Umi ga Kikoeru, so that search result is amusing to me.

If Marnie is in fact the last Ghibli film, then they went out amazingly.

Thinking about it, the Japanese title kinda spoils the movie.

javac

Ponyo is the youngest skewing film they have, so maybe start with that. Then maybe Totoro, Porco Rosso, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Not too sure about Porco. I can see a kid being entertained by a Pig flying a plane however :p

Imo the best ones to start with for children is Kiki's Delivery Service and then move onto Totoro and Ponyo. These are visually appealing to younger people, especially Ponyo!

ЯAW

Banned
I think Kiki's Delivery Service is the most kid friendly
This or Ponyo. Ponyo is faster paced and more colorful so it might hold young viewer's attention better. Totoro is my favorite but as a kid I didn't care for it. It is rather uneventful film but as I grew older I started to like it more. Background art is still stunning, I also liked how they handled the mother's illness, there was no sugar coating. Not to mention the fact that film is "uneventful" makes it so much better, there is no forced drama just two kids with wild imagination, enjoying summer.

Mononoke

Banned

Apparently thats also the reason why this might be the last ghibli movie. The article i quoted suggests that ghibli has to pay so much on labor that it is not profitable to make movies. Last year kaguya hime was a big flop and while wind rises was succesful appraently they need such kind of movie every year to stay afloat. Apparently they are now just waiting for an appropriate time to announce the end.

Also marnie also seems like its a flop. It hurts me since this very well may be one of my top 5 ghibli movies but the numbers seem to be 80% of what kaguya made last year in a similar timeframe..

Sounds like my kind of movie. Thanks for the impressions. I'll be gutted if this is their last film. I actually really like From Up on Poppy Hill. This movie looks better. But I was always okay with Ghibli going on post Miyazaki even if the quality wasn't always matching the studios peak.

Cfh123

Anyone get the art books for the movies?

I got The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service - it is very nice. I will likely get a few more.

javac

Porco rosso a kids movie? I found it to be the most mature ghibli movie pre-marnie

Yeah same. It's a movie that can be appreciated by a wider audience than say Only Yesterday (one of my favorite Ghibli movies) or Ocean Waves or Grave of the Fireflies, as Porco at least looks more visually interesting to the mind of a younger person since it's a pig in a plane, but yeah it's a really mature movie that in presentation is sprinkled with innocent imagery but with a darker tone and store behind all of it. It's one of my favorite Ghibli films too! It's very whimsical and childlike at time, but hard hitting and blunt in others with great characters that interact with each other with great chemistry. Even though the main character is a pig, he's one of the most human I've seen in an animated movie.

GCX

I got The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service - it is very nice. I will likely get a few more.
I have the Art of Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Totoro and The Wind Rises. Nausicaa Watercolor Impressions is a great art book too though it's more about the manga than the movie.

Sushigod7

I need to get Kiki, I have Totoro and Spirited Away both great. Will 100% be getting the Princess Mononoke one next month.

thenexus6

Just finished the Wind Rises been waiting so long to watch it. Totally worth it, enjoyed it a lot. A great last movie from a man whose legacy is almost unrivalled!

Top Bottom