• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Risette

A Good Citizen
for anyone who cares: the Taiwanese Ghibli releases from Deltamac (who are Disney's official distribution partner in Taiwan, not bootlegs) are straight ports of the JP video track (except for Nausicaa and Ponyo) and have the English subs from the JP disc for only ~27 dollars each. they also come out around 2-3 months after the Japanese release, so a quick turnaround. the menus are in English & Chinese too.

no English dub though (just Japanese and Cantonese audio), so that may be a deal breaker for some.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kool

that means we should get Porco Rosso (it honestly surprises me that it isn't one of the titles releasing alongside The Wind Rises, what with the whole Miyazaki aviation theme. It would have been a perfect match) and Spirited Away next year to finish out Disney's Ghibli blu ray commitment. I could maybe see them releasing The Cat Returns as well. Maybe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ahh, that would be great. That is one of my favorite Ghibli movies. It is so fun. I bet it will look beautiful in HD.

It seems like something they'd be okay with releasing, as it's very cutesy and Disney-ish (unlike the Takahata films + Earthsea). Plus, they've already done Whisper of the Heart so they might as well complete the set. :p

Doombear

I'm sad we don't know what the covers look like yet.

No matter what, they won't live up to the Japanese covers. That is why I always make my own anyway!
iwkNdX0egokdM.png

if37gr1aIZ1aS.png

I have just enough Criterion Bluray Cases left for about 5 more films too.

Does anyone know if its possible to buy any of Miyazaki's earlier manga works? Basically anything other than the Nausicaa manga which is obviously widely available. I've tried looking around for them particularly the age of the flying boat but I haven't had any luck. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Looks like we have 3 new blu-ray releases coming to the US November 18th!!!

Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Wind Rises

The Wind Rises and Kiki's Delivery Service are both up for pre-order on Amazon now. Haven't seen a link for Mononoke yet, but it was posted about in the Disney thread.

I bought the DVD of Mononoke only a few months ago. May have to double dip on the blu-ray now
or should I say I must

MaxDOL

for anyone who cares: the Taiwanese Ghibli releases from Deltamac (who are Disney's official distribution partner in Taiwan, not bootlegs) are straight ports of the JP video track (except for Nausicaa and Ponyo) and have the English subs from the JP disc for only ~27 dollars each. they also come out around 2-3 months after the Japanese release, so a quick turnaround. the menus are in English & Chinese too.

no English dub though (just Japanese and Cantonese audio), so that may be a deal breaker for some.

Can you suggest an online store for Taiwan Bluray ?
I can only find the Taiwan version in Yesasia.com but I can find Hongkong version which is cheaper on other website.
I believe the two version is identical because both have the same distributor (Deltamac)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can you suggest an online store for Taiwan Bluray ?
I can only find the Taiwan version in Yesasia.com but I can find Hongkong version which is cheaper on other website.
I believe the two version is identical because both have the same distributor (Deltamac)
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/index.php?cPath=104_121&language=us (the ones for NT ~$800 are the TW versions, ~$2500 are just Japan imports.)

this is the site I've seen most recommended. Also the HK versions started using their own encodes; they're from Intercontinental Video Limited (IVL), not Deltamac. however, the first four Taiwan discs are ports of the HK discs. Nausicaa and Ponyo are not recommended (Ponyo is even 1080i for some reason, and Nausicaa has messed up subtitle formatting.) Laputa and Yamadas HK are just ports of the JP version though, so the TW version is a port of a port. After that the TW versions just started porting directly from the JP version.

the shipping on this site is kinda of expensive if you just order one movie, so you might want to order 3 or so to keep shipping prices down.

omgkitty

Someone in the US really needs to pick up Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves and release them. They're so good and it's a shame most people will never see them. Same with My Neighbor the Yamadas and Pom Poko.

MaxDOL

http://dvd.jsdvd.com/index.php?cPath=104_121&language=us (the ones for NT ~$800 are the TW versions, ~$2500 are just Japan imports.)

this is the site I've seen most recommended. Also the HK versions started using their own encodes; they're from Intercontinental Video Limited (IVL), not Deltamac. however, the first four Taiwan discs are ports of the HK discs. Nausicaa and Ponyo are not recommended (Ponyo is even 1080i for some reason, and Nausicaa has messed up subtitle formatting.) Laputa and Yamadas HK are just ports of the JP version though, so the TW version is a port of a port. After that the TW versions just started porting directly from the JP version.

the shipping on this site is kinda of expensive if you just order one movie, so you might want to order 3 or so to keep shipping prices down.

Thank you for your answer.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Someone in the US really needs to pick up Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves and release them. They're so good and it's a shame most people will never see them. Same with My Neighbor the Yamadas and Pom Poko.

Hopefully GKids or Sentai Filmworks or Discotek will someday do that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Princess Mononoke:

BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES

Original Japanese Storyboards
Original Japanese and English Trailers
Original English Theatrical Trailer
Original TV Spots
Princess Mononoke in the USA — In September of 1999, Princess Mononoke’s director, Hayao Miyazaki traveled to the US and Canada to promote the film’s release. This feature is a record of those events
Featurette — Jada Pinkett Smith, Claire Danes, Billy Bob Thornton, Gillian Anderson, Billy Crudup talk about acting in the English voice cast in Princess Mononoke.

Kiki's Delivery Service:

BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES:

Introduction by John Lasseter
Original Japanese Storyboards
Original Japanese Trailers
Behind the Microphone — English voice cast members Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo and Phil Hartman give voice to their on-screen characters
Creating Kiki’s Delivery Service — Director Miyazaki discusses how he created the world of the movie
Kiki & Jiji — Producer Toshio Suzuki reveals how Director Miyazaki based the character of Kiki on Suzuki’s teenage daughter
Flying with Kiki & Beyond — The director discusses how he approached Kiki flying
Producer’s Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki — The producer talks about how he worked with the director through the years
The Locations of Kiki — The real world locations that influenced the look of the film are revealed
Scoring Miyazaki — Composer Joe Hisaishi talks about his approach in writing the music.
Ursula’s Painting (ALL NEW) — A musical montage of Ursula’s Painting. The painting was created by junior high school students and used by Director Miyazaki for the film.

Jex

Someone in the thread surely knows this: which versions of the Blu-Rays should I get? I live in the UK but I understand those releases don't have the best reputation...

Someone in the thread surely knows this: which versions of the Blu-Rays should I get? I live in the UK but I understand those releases don't have the best reputation...

I alsolutely adore the JPN versions, the discs are multi-region and contain subs and dubs in English. In the case of Arriety, because the JPN versions have 1st version dubs, then you get the superior Dubs. Not that I am keen on dubs though.

Anyway, the PQ for the JPN versions are the best (well better than the UK ones), but expect to pay around £45+ (including postage) for each one.

I chose to get JPN ones for my favourites and then get the UK ones for the rest, although I may end up with all the JPN ones in the end.

The UK ones are fine if you're not too fussy and whilst the packaging is amazing for the JPN versions, the steelbook UK ones look good.

epmode

For picture quality, JPN is best with USA close behind. UK releases remove some film grain and while they still look good, it's a noticeable difference from the other two regions. All three regions have English subs which is all I'm interested in.

For packaging, JPN runs circles around the others.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you have the money, JP versions.

If you want them cheaper and don't care about dubs, Taiwan versions (except for Nausicaa and Ponyo), as they just port the JP video encode (which are the best in terms of quality) and audio over bit-for-bit with the same subs on those discs.

If you want them cheaper and need the dubs, US versions.

Jex

Okay, that's basically what I expected. I see that Risette has linked to a place to purchase the Taiwanese version, but where would someone import the JP releases from?

Lynd7

The UK/AUST blu's don't filter the grain on all the releases right? They mostly look ok I think, not a travesty. I buy the JP releases, but have Nausicaa and Arrietty from Madman for the dubs and extras.

The UK/AUST blu's don't filter the grain on all the releases right? They mostly look ok I think, not a travesty. I buy the JP releases, but have Nausicaa and Arrietty from Madman for the dubs and extras.

They UK versions are fine for most, but they do fiddle with the picture (WHY).

Yes, it's a bootleg.

Both eBay and Amazon do great business on counterfeit goods, but for some reason no one has come down on them for it.

Soooo Grave of the Fireflies, I just saw it. Fuck.

I watched it for the first time with my mum (who says she hates "cartoons" but has ended up loving every Ghibli film I've forced her to watch, mums aye?) over ten years ago now and we were holding each other and sobbing uncontrollably by the end. I've never been able to sit through it since.

Foolworm

Did anyone go to the exhibition in Shatin, Hong Kong? They showed blueprints of Ghibli movies.

That was well worth the money spent (admission was about $2.50 USD, which I consider a steal). The layouts were gorgeous, I was completely hypnotized by the linework. Too bad I went on the day they were holding the Ghibli themed events, so the place was absolutely packed.

I watched Kaguya-hime right afterwards, which only heightened the magic since I had seen the actual production layouts just a few hours before.

Aizo

Banned
I quite liked Omoide no Marnie. What did others who saw it think?
After looking back at the last few pages, I should edit this.

I saw it a week or two after it came out. It was the first time I went to a film alone (none of my friends were interested), but I'm kind of glad it ended up that way. It really helped set the mood for me. The film is a great departure from the usual Ghibli films, but I thought that it retained their great production values. I was a bit worried, since it was being directed by the same guy who did Arrietty, which I thought was the worst Ghibli film I'd seen (maybe tied with Gedo Senki). I can imagine some may view it as manipulative or a bit too dramatic, but I thought the tone was perfect. Atmosphere is really important to me, and I thought the first ~20 mins were so solemn and sweet. I'm a sap, but I really loved the movie for its character driven drama.

May16

I quite liked Omoide no Marnie. What did others who saw it think?

Yeah I saw it in the theater in late July with my wife. I thought one or two moments in the earlygoing and middle were kind of forced-in, but overall it was a nice, calm, emotional tale. Got me a little misty-eyed near the end.

I just hope that wasn't the last Ghibli movie I ever get the chance to see in theaters again.

Aizo

Banned
Lately, I feel like I've really underestimated the population of JapanGAF.
Glad others were able to see Marnie!

Top Bottom