• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

javac

Why does it take so long? Doesn't Disney own the rights in the US?

Wind Rises better come out in proper time

Many reasons I'd imagine. Ghibli obviously have a say when it's released outside of Japan I'd imagine and usually with Anime in general we get them in the West a lot later than Japan but at a cheaper cost...most of the time (Gurren Lagann in the US being an exception among many others I'd imagine).

Pacing can also be an issue. Would they want to release Spirited Away in the US so soon when Kiki's delivery service, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko and even Mononoke have yet to come out?(assuming they come out there).

I'd imagine they have to consult with Ghibli in order to make sure the quality is up to scratch too. Quality control etc.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ghibli obviously have a say when it's released outside of Japan.

Do they? I mean, Ghibli releases seem to come out very very quickly on Blu ray in Europe and very very slowly in the US, so I figured that it was down to the domestic partners to decide when to release them. Maybe it's a combination of both, but I think in this case it's Disney's fault.

So I watched a few Ghibli movies with my mom:

Grave of the Fireflies (which we loved)
Whisper of the Heart (which we were both so-so on)
and Spirited Away (which we both really enjoyed but she REALLY liked it)

Now I got my hands on Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke; what order do you guys recommend watching them in? Also is there other recommendations for movies?

So I watched a few Ghibli movies with my mom:

Grave of the Fireflies (which we loved)
Whisper of the Heart (which we were both so-so on)
and Spirited Away (which we both really enjoyed but she REALLY liked it)

Now I got my hands on Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke; what order do you guys recommend watching them in? Also is there other recommendations for movies?

If you enjoyed Grave I would give The Wind Rises a chance.

javac

Do they? I mean, Ghibli releases seem to come out very very quickly on Blu ray in Europe and very very slowly in the US, so I figured that it was down to the domestic partners to decide when to release them. Maybe it's a combination of both, but I think in this case it's Disney's fault.

Yeah I do find it odd. In the UK here we get them released a lot faster than the US and some don't even get released in the US like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. I'm just not sure. Europe seems to get a lot of shit quicker. Mushishi is available on bluray in Italy but nowhere else outside of Japan! Why! :0

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's worth adding that, unlike most of the other Ghibli Blu Ray releases, Cagliostro only has Japanese language tracks and Japanese subtitles. Fortunately, Discotek's Blu Ray release (due at "the end of year or early 2015") will have both English dubs, English subtitles and Japanese language options.

Well that sucks. Glad I learned about that before I pre-ordered.

Hey, so based on JetBlackPanda's recommendation I looked into The Wind Rises and found out that its playing in a theater where I live (NYC). I just wanted people who watched it to let me know if its something that younger kids (7-9 years old) would enjoy? I read other GAFfers impressions and there seems to be a consensus that the movie was very "dry" so I'm not sure if I should invite them to watch it. The kids watched Spirited Away and enjoyed it well enough, I don't think they would get or appreciate Grave of the Fireflies. Will this movie be the same way? Thanks in advance.

GCX

Hey, so based on JetBlackPanda's recommendation I looked into The Wind Rises and found out that its playing in a theater where I live (NYC). I just wanted people who watched it to let me know if its something that younger kids (7-9 years old) would enjoy? I read other GAFfers impressions and there seems to be a consensus that the movie was very "dry" so I'm not sure if I should invite them to watch it. The kids watched Spirited Away and enjoyed it well enough, I don't think they would get or appreciate Grave of the Fireflies. Will this movie be the same way? Thanks in advance.
The Wind Rises is definitely aimed for adults and kids that age will have hard time grasping full meaning of the movie. It requires basic knowlegde of WW2 era history and politics and Miyazaki doesn't really explain them since he assumes the audience is able to connect the dots themselves.

The movie shares many elements with Grave of the Fireflies but in The Wind Rises Japan's history and global politic situation are the centerpiece of the movie. In GotF history is more in the background while the plot itself resolves around the struggle of the two kids.

The Wind Rises is definitely aimed for adults and kids that age will have hard time grasping full meaning of the movie. It requires basic knowlegde of WW2 era history and politics and Miyazaki doesn't really explain them since he assumes the audience is able to connect the dots themselves.

The movie shares many elements with Grave of the Fireflies but in The Wind Rises Japan's history and global politic situation are the centerpiece of the movie. In GotF history is more in the background while the plot itself resolves around the struggle of the two kids.

Thanks for the input, so you would recommend I not take them to see the movie?

GCX

Yeah. The few fantasy scenes the movie has are pure Miyazaki eye candy but most of the film is rather dry (and I don't mean that as a negative) in a sense that it has lots of scenes of people talking about plane engineering and politics.

Doombear

My 10 year old daughter enjoyed it but didn't grasp everything the story had to offer as it is so rich historically. Like GCX stated, Miyazaki doesn't go into much explanation understandably. She still enjoyed it for the style, sound effects, and the story she did grasp though. It wasn't anywhere near her favorite of the Ghibli films to say the least.

My 10 year old daughter enjoyed it but didn't grasp everything the story had to offer as it is so rich historically. Like GCX stated, Miyazaki doesn't go into much explanation understandably. She still enjoyed it for the style, sound effects, and the story she did grasp though. It wasn't anywhere near her favorite of the Ghibli films to say the least.

Would you say that the visuals would be enough to keep her interested, or was there something else that made her enjoy the movie?

Doombear

I should state she is a pretty diehard fan, so there is a bit of bias going into the newer films. She has been watching Ghibli films since she was about 6 or so. In the last 3-4 years she has seen and loved nearly all of the Ghibli films. She hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Yamadas and Pom Poko, and Tales From Earthsea (we watched half and uh... got bored). She even saw From Up On Poppy Hill with us in the theater and loved it.

Her take away was that Wind Rises was really well done visually, and she enjoyed and understood the love story aspect of the film. She did get some of the war bits as well, but lacks a prior knowledge base regarding that time period. We saw a dubbed version too, I should point out. While she and I prefer subbed versions, I think it probably kept her that much more entertained that it wasn't.

So it is hard to say if she would have liked it without her already great love for Miyazaki films and characters. I will have to ask her later, now that it has been a couple months, what her feelings on the film are!

I should state she is a pretty diehard fan, so there is a bit of bias going into the newer films. She has been watching Ghibli films since she was about 6 or so. In the last 3-4 years she has seen and loved nearly all of the Ghibli films. She hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Yamadas and Pom Poko, and Tales From Earthsea (we watched half and uh... got bored). She even saw From Up On Poppy Hill with us in the theater and loved it.

Her take away was that Wind Rises was really well done visually, and she enjoyed and understood the love story aspect of the film. She did get some of the war bits as well, but lacks a prior knowledge base regarding that time period. We saw a dubbed version too, I should point out. While she and I prefer subbed versions, I think it probably kept her that much more entertained that it wasn't.

So it is hard to say if she would have liked it without her already great love for Miyazaki films and characters. I will have to ask her later, now that it has been a couple months, what her feelings on the film are!

Awesome, thanks so much!

some screens from the new film, When Marnie Was Here.

http://marnie.jp/index.html

10264307_481812415251531_2654575230802280866_n.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

HoJu

so what bluray upgrades do you think us westerners will get this year?
they'll probably announce it pretty soon, right?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oooh. I loved Arrietty. What's his past works without Miyazaki screen writing? Any good?

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1998), In between animation
My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), In between animation
Serial Experiments Lain (1998), Key animation
Monster (2004), Key animation
Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase (2007), Key animation

His first film as director was Arrietty.

Also, where the heck are the The Wind Rises and other US Summer Blu-ray releases?

so what bluray upgrades do you think us westerners will get this year?

they'll probably announce it pretty soon, right?

They should announce the next batch any day now. The vast majority of Ghibli's blu-rays have released in the US in May, so there's a good chance we'll get them next month.

As for which ones, we're so far behind the other countries it could literally be any of them. They tend to release them in batches of 3, and The Wind Rises will obviously be one of them, so that leaves two slots open. I'm guessing maybe Kiki and Porco Rosso.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Maybe "Country Roads" doesn't count as a theme song in Whisper of the Heart, but it was pretty central to the plot and they played the entire Olivia Newton-John version over the opening credits in both the Japanese and English dub tracks.

Hmm, yeah, it looks like they forgot about that one. I must admit that I did too. :x

Kansoku

I recently watched a bunch of SG movies, and man, what ride.

I would rank like that:

Mononoke > Howl's Moving Castle > Laputa >= Nausica > Sprited Away > Grave of the Fireflies > Kiki's Delivery System > Totoro

Yes, Totoro in last. it was the first I watched, and while it was good, Mei completely ruined the movie for me (Watched all of them with Japanese audio, and Mei voice made my ears hurt, especially since 90% she's crying/screaming).

Still want to watch Ponyo tho.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1998), In between animation
My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), In between animation
Serial Experiments Lain (1998), Key animation
Monster (2004), Key animation
Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase (2007), Key animation

His first film as director was Arrietty.

They should announce the next batch any day now. The vast majority of Ghibli's blu-rays have released in the US in May, so there's a good chance we'll get them next month.

As for which ones, we're so far behind the other countries it could literally be any of them. They tend to release them in batches of 3, and The Wind Rises will obviously be one of them, so that leaves two slots open. I'm guessing maybe Kiki and Porco Rosso.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's coming this year yet.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's coming this year yet.

Me too. I think it's safe to say that they're definitely not releasing anything this summer, which is Disney's usual Ghibli Blu-ray release window, unless they decide to do a stealth release or something.

thenexus6

Interesting clip, yeah guess need to see it in context..

It saddens me that I probably won't get to see The Wind Rises in the cinema, the only Ghibli film i've ever seen in cinemas was Arrietty - even then it was a case of right place right time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Uh what? I am pretty sure the music in Arrietty was sung in English

"'Arrietty's Song' is a song performed by French (Bretonne) recording artist musician Cécile Corbel. Corbel also performed the film's theme song, "Arrietty's Song", in Japanese, English, German, Italian and Breton."

Mononoke

Banned
Yonebayashi - the Arrietty director.

This worries me seeing as Arriety is the first Ghibli film I disliked. Music was mixed at odd levels. Script had weird pacing/focus. It was just a messy film. Never saw Tales from Earthsea though. It's the only Ghibli film I haven't seen since it got such a bad reception.

Kuraudo

Banned
UK gaf: From up on Poppy hill is on film4 at 5:20 (I think its UK premier)

Also an exclusive clip of the Wind Rises 5:15.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Was my first time seeing From up on Poppy Hill and I was quite surprised by how good it is. It lacks some of the finesse of Hayao Miyazaki's films, but it provided a more authentic Ghibli experience than Tales of Earthsea. Really enjoyed it and a little more confident about Ghibli without either Miyazaki Sr. or Takahata.

Mononoke

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Was my first time seeing From up on Poppy Hill and I was quite surprised by how good it is. It lacks some of the finesse of Hayao Miyazaki's films, but it provided a more authentic Ghibli experience than Tales of Earthsea. Really enjoyed it and a little more confident about Ghibli without either Miyazaki Sr. or Takahata.

This film gets a lot criticism. But I actually think it's one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in recent years. It's very accessible/likable. A very simple and charming movie. There are elements to the script that could have been better, and of course it doesn't hit on deeper themes likes some of the old Ghibli films, but it's really good at what it does.

Gave up waiting for Disney to figure out what the hell they're doing and imported/preordered Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, and Spirited Away on Blu-ray.

Amazon Japan, that I'm aware of. Using Mononoke as an example, a single blu-ray is $61 shipped ($48 plus express shipping, which is the only option they offer), last I checked. CD Japan is about $72.

Wow, had no idea I could even do this. Picked up Kiki's awhile back from eBay and it was like $90. Blah, never doing that again. Time to drop a few hundred...

Moosichu

Just watched Laputa. I love the music any good places to by Studio Ghibli film OSTs gaf? I dont know if I prefer it or Princess Mononoke. Have only watched those, Ponyo (it was alright but not great), Pom Poko (good, but very slow) and Spirited Away (loved it but behind my top two of Laputa and Mononoke). Have a lot to get through! :)

Top Bottom