• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Subprime

What I love about these movies is they're a chapter in a story. Two orphans had a great adventure and it ends with them saying goodbye and flying off into a sunset. A little boy pledges his love to a fish and it ends with a freeze frame. A young man and woman part ways after falling in love saying they'll meet again. I think the epilogue in Porco Rosso illustrates it the best. I love that.

Yes, but the interesting parts of nausicaa only happened in the later part of the story. The real interesting moral issues / philosophical ones happened in the last two books.

jerry1594

Yes, but the interesting parts of nausicaa only happened in the later part of the story. The real interesting moral issues / philosophical ones happened in the last two books.

The movie kind of alluded toward that. Two more movies would've kind of screwed with the first. But I digress, had the movies followed the books it would have been amazing as well.

Windam

Scaley member
<3 Princess Mononoke; my favourite Ghibli movie, and one of my favourite anime movies in general. I really wish it would get a Blu-Ray release, it would be so worth getting again. :(

jerry1594

I just noticed that Amazon has a new hardcover collection of the Nausicaa manga on their website that is available for pre order. Fans of the film should definitely check it out.
Will it ruin the movie for me?
<3 Princess Mononoke; my favourite Ghibli movie, and one of my favourite anime movies in general. I really wish it would get a Blu-Ray release, it would be so worth getting again. :(
It will within a year or two.

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Howl's Moving Castle

And lol @ dubs. Subs with original voice work is the only way to go. I could see someone disliking a good film because of a bad dub.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Howl's Moving Castle

And lol @ dubs. Subs with original voice work is the only way to go. I could see someone disliking a good film because of a bad dub.

Funny enough, the three films you listed aren't ones with bad english dubs. I found them pretty enjoyable.

Has anyone else seen My Neighbors the Yamadas and actually enjoyed it? It's absolutely one of my favorites from the studio but it never seems to get the love it deserves. A shame, really. :(

jerry1594

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Howl's Moving Castle

I dunno, subs don't allow the viewer to connect as much with the movie as good dubs

How much better than the US dub?

Way better. I heard the US dub after the British one and the US dub changes the tone and meaning of many scenes. Its godawful
and the worst is the credits where they shoehorn in some shitty Disney pop starlet's song that has fuck all to do with the movie

jerry1594

Way better. I heard the US dub after the British one and the US dub changes the tone and meaning of many scenes. Its godawful
and the worst is the credits where they shoehorn in some shitty Disney pop starlet's song that has fuck all to do with the movie
Is the music different too? There's the tween song at the end but other than that?

Has anyone else seen My Neighbors the Yamadas and actually enjoyed it? It's absolutely one of my favorites from the studio but it never seems to get the love it deserves. A shame, really. :(

It's a great film, unconventional in both structure and visual style. Isao Takahata is a master at presenting the joys of ordinary life. It's unfortunate that he gets overshadowed by Miyazaki.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I really enjoyed "Yamadas". The characters are very endearing, and the art style really sets it apart. It's a gem of a film, but a hidden one, which is unfortunate.

omgkitty

So I watched 3 Ghibli films I had not seen this weekend. I watched Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbors the Yamadas. This brings my total up to 12/18 Ghibli films that I've seen. The one's I haven't seen (here comes the shit storm):

Grave of the Fireflies
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
The Cat Returns
From Up on Poppy Hill

So yeah...there's 3 pretty big titles in there, including the one which most people consider to be the best Ghibli film. I have access to watch Mononoke, I just haven't done it. I feel like it's one of those films that gets hyped up so much, that it can't possibly live up to it. I really hope I'm wrong.

So I watched 3 Ghibli films I had not seen this weekend. I watched Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbors the Yamadas. This brings my total up to 12/18 Ghibli films that I've seen. The one's I haven't seen (here comes the shit storm):

Grave of the Fireflies
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
The Cat Returns
From Up on Poppy Hill

So yeah...there's 3 pretty big titles in there, including the one which most people consider to be the best Ghibli film. I have access to watch Mononoke, I just haven't done it. I feel like it's one of those films that gets hyped up so much, that it can't possibly live up to it. I really hope I'm wrong.

Word of caution, if you're watching it with kids there are some very violent parts, though not overly gorey. It's probably the most graphic ghibli film I think

jerry1594

Nah the only kid here is me haha

I think the violence gets blown out of proportion. Two decapitations, one from afar, both practically bloodless and a dismemberment, also pretty much bloodless. I saw it on Cartoon Network years ago and it was more awesome than shocking.

Zia

Hey, Ghibli People, I don't buy a lot of animation and need your help. What's the best place to purchase the Japanese/Hong Kong Ghibli releases, and is there a qualitative difference between the two? I noticed that on YesAsia the JP editions cost considerably more than the HK ones.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hey, Ghibli People, I don't buy a lot of animation and need your help. What's the best place to purchase the Japanese/Hong Kong Ghibli releases, and is there a qualitative difference between the two? I noticed that on YesAsia the JP editions cost considerably more than the HK ones.

Here is a really good resource that I found for comparing the various Ghibli Blu rays.

I'm not sure where the best place to purchase the JP/HK versions would be, aside from YesAsia. Maybe Amazon?

Has anyone seen From Up On Poppy Hill? They were having special screenings for an anime festival here in Sydney, so I got the chance to see it at the cinemas. It was pretty nice, the school plot to save the club house was super endearing and humorous, it felt like classic Ghibli. The romance plot became convoluted and rather silly in parts but by the end it was heartwarming. Goro Miyazaki has proved he has talent, he just needs a decent script to work with.

I just noticed that Amazon has a new hardcover collection of the Nausicaa manga on their website that is available for pre order. Fans of the film should definitely check it out.

Fuck yes. Pre-ordered.

Risette

A Good Citizen
DDDHouse for the HK releases. Site looks messy but it's legit.

Laputa and Yamadas are definitely identical to the JP releases, same video track and everything, just less audio and extras. The only difference is packaging.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Studio Ghibli’s ‘From Up on Poppy Hill’ Gets English Language Cast

The film will be released in November for an Oscar qualifying run followed by a wider release in March 2013. Its impressive English language voice cast has now been revealed.

Gillian Anderson
Sarah Bolger
Beau Bridges
Jamie Lee Curtis
Bruce Dern
Jeff Dunham
Isabelle Furnham
Christina Hendricks
Chris Noth
Ron Howard
Emily Osment
Aubrey Plaza
Charlie Saxton
Alex Wolff
Anton Yelchin

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I should do another Ghibli marathon now that a majority of the catalogue is available on blu-ray.

The island in Castle in the Sky was a reference to the island of Laputa in Gulliver's Travels, which Swift in turn named with the Spanish meaning of la puta in mind. However, this was likely lost in translation. :p

Wait, what!? mind blowing fact man :eek:

Just saw The Secret World of Arrietty. I loved it and Arrietty reminded me of my little sister which made the movie even more fun for me <3

GCX

Me and my friend had a little Ghibli marathon a few days ago (Whisper of the Heart, Ocean Waves and Kiki) and I've been in such a Ghibli mood since then. I feel like rewatching all of their movies.

Next month should be HUGE since we're about to get the first official details for the next Miyazaki AND Takahata films. Can't wait.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Next month should be HUGE since we're about to get the first official details for the next Miyazaki AND Takahata films. Can't wait.

I totally forgot that was happening. I'm super excited too. Takahata is working on The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and Miyazaki is doing a biography about some pilot or something, right?

GCX

I totally forgot that was happening. I'm super excited too. Takahata is working on The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and Miyazaki is doing a biography about some pilot or something, right?
Yeah, it's going to be a movie about the life of a man who developed the Zero fighter.

GCX

Ah, that's right. I'm sure it'll be amazing.
A few years ago Miyazaki actually did a 5 part short manga about the same subject. It was about the career of an aircraft designer Jiro in the 30s who ended up designing the Zero fighter:

ifala0QVoCpYJ.jpeg

ijcH5WuMa51S7.jpeg

ifNGCXXznSP5c.jpeg

In retrospective it's pretty obvious he used the manga as a research tool for the next movie, just like with Porco Rosso.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A few years a go Miyazaki actually did a 5 part short manga about the same subject. It was about the career of an aircraft designer Jiro in the 30s who ended designing the Zero fighter:

In retrospective it's pretty obvious he used the manga as a research tool for the next movie, just like with Porco Rosso.

Yeah, I saw that manga before. It's very cool.

Btw, I wonder why Miyazaki likes to put pigs in airplanes?

GCX

Ghibli distributor Toho has registered domains for Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) and Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (Princess Kaguya Story). Those are almost certainly the names of the new Miyazaki and Takahata movies, especially since The Wind Rises is the name of Miyazaki's short manga which I talked about on the last page and which the new movie is based on.

qindarka

Banned
Ghibli distributor Toho has registered domains for Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) and Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (Princess Kaguya Story). Those are almost certainly the names of the new Miyazaki and Takahata movies, especially since The Wind Rises is the name of Miyazaki's short manga which I talked about on the last page and which the new movie is based on.

Are they both scheduled to be released next year?

Exciting news. Hopefully Ghibli can make a great movie again. It's been a long time.

Top Bottom