• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Hey guys.

This thing is freaking AWESOME.
zGj00.jpg

SWIq7.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New here.

Can anyone provided the list of Ghibli movies that got release or will release in US. (Blu Ray preferred)

Ponyo
Nausicaa
Whisper of the Heart
Castle in the Sky
Arrietty

are the only ones that have been released on Blu Ray in the US, so far. I don't think they've announced any upcoming ones yet.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I saw that on amazon, so is it good?

It's a very good film, though it's depressing as hell. Easily one of the most depressing (animated) films ever. It's about a brother and sister's harrowing experiences during WW2 - a premise that clearly doesn't lend itself to sunshine and flowers.

But yeah, it's good.

I watched Laputa last night, found it on my DVR from last Xmas. Damn that movie never ages, I can't wait til I can and watch it with my kids.

Has there been any news about Princess Mononoke getting released in Japan on Blu-ray or the US?

I would import if it was released in Japan. Any idea?

watkinzez

Has there been any news about Princess Mononoke getting released in Japan on Blu-ray or the US?

I would import if it was released in Japan. Any idea?

Ghibli films that haven't yet been released on Blu-ray in Japan include:

Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves (TV film, so I'm not sure how this will fit into their schedule)
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns

They like to release two catalogue films in December (Kiki and Only Yesterday just came out yesterday) and one, maybe two in July along with their most recent film in June. Since Ghibli didn't release a film in cinemas this year, I'll bet they'll do four catalogue Blu-rays in 2013. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the order in which they've been releasing them, but people have speculated that they'll leave the best/highest grossing for last. Which would be Mononoke and Spirited Away. So, absolute latest? 2014 sometime.

GCX

Are there any good documentaries about Studio Ghibli? Also is there any other "Making of _____" films then Making of Spirited Away and Making of Ponyo?

I really enjoy stuff like this and wouldn't mind seeing more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPTNdmdJSc
NHK has made several long documentaries about the making of the newer Ghibli movies but I don't know if they're available in English. Also I remember seeing a Princess Mononoke making of doc but it wasn't that long.

Btw the new Miyazaki and Takahata movies will be revealed next week. omg.

Pau

Ghibli retrospective returns to IFC Center in NYC. Starts today.

http://www.ifccenter.com/series/castles-in-the-sky-miyazaki-takahata-the-masters-of-studio-ghibli/

I hope to see one or more of these. Why does this time of year have to be so busy...
They're doing this again? And I find out the day before I leave the city? What the hell?

I really hope this is a yearly thing.

If anyone has the chance to stop by, go for it. Such a great experience being able to watch these movies on the big screen if you missed them when they were first released.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns

They like to release two catalogue films in December (Kiki and Only Yesterday just came out yesterday) and one, maybe two in July along with their most recent film in June. Since Ghibli didn't release a film in cinemas this year, I'll bet they'll do four catalogue Blu-rays in 2013. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the order in which they've been releasing them, but people have speculated that they'll leave the best/highest grossing for last. Which would be Mononoke and Spirited Away. So, absolute latest? 2014 sometime.

I'm expecting Porco Rosso to pop out when Miyazaki's new film hits.

watkinzez

Btw the new Miyazaki and Takahata movies will be revealed next week. omg.

Is there a specific conference we should be looking forward to? Or are you just going by when Arrietty and Poppy Hill were announced?
EDIT- Ah, just saw the news post on Nausciaa.net.

Never saw Whisper of the Heart before, it's so weird that it opens with a female vocals version of John Denver's Country Roads while showing 90's Urban Japan lol such a weird combination.

watershed

Banned
Great thread, I love Ghibli Studio.

I thought they had an exceptional run with Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle though there is something about Howl that leaves me unfulfilled. I feel like it could have been the best Ghibli film of all time but just stumbled too much in places.

Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns

Ugh. So like three of the best ones.

What about US releases. Any news lately?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Great thread, I love Ghibli Studio.

I thought they had an exceptional run with Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle though there is something about Howl that leaves me unfulfilled. I feel like it could have been the best Ghibli film of all time but just stumbled too much in places.
I enjoy Howl's Moving Castle quite a lot, but the fact that it had a troubling early production life doesn't give it any favours. Whether the changing of the guard between Hosoda and Miyazaki is a large reason why the movie doesn't work for many people will have to remain a mystery.

tuffy

So how did that one company buy the rights to Ghibli's gilms outside of Japan?

Are they rereleasing the films on Blu-Ray in the west?

GKids picked up theatrical distribution rights for a bunch of Ghibli catalog titles along with theatrical and home video rights to "From Up On Poppy Hill", presumably because Disney didn't want to do it themselves. A Blu Ray release is planned for March 2013.

qindarka

Banned
Alright... But is Miyazakis new movie the Porco Rosso sequel? Or was that a rumor?

No, it's something else. It does involve planes though which may have been the source of the confusion.

I never saw why Porco Rosso needed a sequel. The ending even seemed to bar all possibilities of one.

duckroll

Alright... But is Miyazakis new movie the Porco Rosso sequel? Or was that a rumor?

It's not Porco Rosso 2, but it might have pigs in planes. While it is not officially announced, the evidence thus far based on interviews, trademark registrations, and various clues indicates that his new film will be Kaze Tachinu - based on a series of short manga stories he drew for a toy model magazine, about the life of Jiro Horikoshi (the designer of the Zero Fighter). In the manga, he human characters were designed to look like pigs. The movie will be a historical biopic and there is supposed to be a very elaborate crowd scene with complex animation depicting the great Kanto earthquake in 1923.

The other movie they will announce on Thursday will be The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter directed by Takahata. He has been wanting to make this for a long time, and finally decided to do it. So there's a good chance for a Ghibli double-bill presentation next year.

Ratrat

Ah, sounds good. The proposed theme song was titled something like "Sky plane" in the link. Cannot fucking wait!

Daft_Cat

The movie will be a historical biopic and there is supposed to be a very elaborate crowd scene with complex animation depicting the great Kanto earthquake in 1923.

This will be the first time he's made a large scale operatic film that doesn't have elements of fantasy.

Sounds almost like it could be Miyazaki's Grave of the Fireflies, albeit on a grander scale...

duckroll

This will be the first time he's made a large scale operatic film that doesn't have elements of fantasy.

Sounds almost like it could be Miyazaki's Grave of the Fireflies, albeit on a grander scale...

It will probably have elements of fantasy. Like I mentioned, in the manga, the people were depicted as pigs instead, like in Porco Rosso. We'll see this Thursday. Either way, I think this will be the most personal and large scale movie Miyazaki has directed since Princess Mononoke. It's pretty exciting.

GCX

It will probably have elements of fantasy. Like I mentioned, in the manga, the people were depicted as pigs instead, like in Porco Rosso. We'll see this Thursday. Either way, I think this will be the most personal and large scale movie Miyazaki has directed since Princess Mononoke. It's pretty exciting.
I'd argue Porco Rosso is his most personal movie. I mean he felt regret for doing a movie "just for himself" until the release of Mononoke.

LuuKyK

Wow, didnt know they were going to reveal new films this week! Hyped!

Didnt even know this thread actually... subscribed. :)

duckroll

I'd argue Porco Rosso is his most personal movie. I mean he felt regret for doing a movie "just for himself" until the release of Mononoke.

Oh sure, I totally agree. What I meant was, he hasn't done a personal movie since Mononoke. Since all the other stuff were made, in his own words, for certain demographics. This one feels very different just from the way they've been talking about it.

GCX

Oh sure, I totally agree. What I meant was, he hasn't done a personal movie since Mononoke. Since all the other stuff were made, in his own words, for certain demographics. This one feels very different just from the way they've been talking about it.
I agree about Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo but I think Spirited Away was in many ways a very personal project.

But yeah, when the movie is centered around World War era history and is about planes you just know it's a VERY personal since those have always been Miyazaki's biggest passions.

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. I started buying up anime movies like mad as of late, but I wasn't willing to take the $30 plunge per Ghibli film(if I get one, I gotta get more). Now Amazon has quite a few of them down to $20. :X

My favorites:
Whisper of the heart
Only Yesterday
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky

Maybe in that particular order? My memories of everything but Mononoke and Spirited Away are kinda fuzzy. I think Kiki would be very high up, but I can't recall much of the truly important details. These $20 prices are gonna kill me. Oh, I also had no clue Arrietty was a Ghibli film. I only ran into it a couple of days ago, but didn't check further since I was deciding what round of films I should pick up after my last rightstuf order. Gotta check that out...

Top Bottom