• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Descendant |OT| Co-Hop? Bunny Hop!

Pejo

I put a bunch of hours into the game before servers got fucked, and I'm torn on it. The gunplay isn't nearly as good as Destiny, but the progression is done well enough, and it seems like they keep you in a stream of slowly unlocking new characters as you level up and do the story, so not really worse than an "offline" game progression where you unlock new characters while you do the story. If you want a specific one, you're stuck with wait or buy, which isn't unreasonable considering the base game is free.

There are a lot of things that the game explains poorly, and ironically the (at least English version) "instructor" robot NPC is bugged because he has no voice acting, so his lines disappear seconds after they appear with no option to stop "autoplay" or review a log of what he said.

I also dislike that the in-map comms story goes on whether or not you're currently doing something or paying attention. Seems like they don't have any confidence that the story is gonna be good and they just want you to focus on a few cutscenes every now and then to get the basic gist of it while they fill the rest with generic ass lines of dialogue and lame quests like "make a diversion while I sneak into this base off screen". The encounters are very predictable and very samey. It's either "eliminate respawning enemies", "protect device from respawning enemies", or "fight respawning enemies for a while then pick up a thing and put it into another thing, and do it 2-3 times". That's the part I'd like to see them work on to make the game enjoyable. It's all bog standard and reused a LOT.

The characters do feel sufficiently different from each other, as much as I can tell with the few I have. I ended up buying Ultimate Gley (by the way, that has to be a phonetic mixup right? Her hair turns Grey as a mechanic) and she's been a lot of fun, but I die a LOT as her. I didn't realize the Descendants don't share levels, but they do share mastery, so I was trying to do level 18 missions as a level 1 Gley (who is already kind of a suicidal character and doesn't even have a shield).

I was initially pretty down on the game, but as a free option to Destiny I think it does ok. I probably shouldn't have spent money yet until I see how the mid to late game goes, but what can I say.

Neolombax

Put a bit more hours into this last night. Its growing on me, I think. I'll stick with it for now, and its just 30 ish gb. Its not like MW3 or Destiny 2 sized games that requires an immediate decision. Unlocked Bunny last night, but I'll stick with my generic solider man for now.

is this f2p? what's the word on the streets? fun?
Honestly, it all feels rather generic and sterile. Basically start a mission, kill some dudes for a couple minutes, listen to some cringe dialogue rinse repeat. The world feels empty, there are no random events and cool things happening outside of doing the handful of missions in each area that only last for a couple of minutes. And the mission variety is very low, they get repeated so many times. Same goes for enemy types. Will keep playing to see if it gets any better but that's my take away from getting to level 22 and completing the first two zones.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I've seen some confusion over why people are complaining about price when Warframes prime packs are effectively more expensive.

I want to show something here that makes all the difference and shows how utterly awful the value propersition is in comparison for the consumer.

First I want to highlight a use of warframes platinum, you can use platinum to trade for item drops in Warframe with other players, that means there Is a real player economy in warframe. Say you yet a duplicate drop you can sell that for platinum to anouther player and then buy the part you do need with that platinum. That means you can also buy premium cosmetics by just playing the game and farming drops and selling them on the market. This makes platinum very valuable as a resource as it has multiple uses in the player driven economy and premium store of Warframe.

The first decendant lacks this system player driven economy, you buy premium currency, that's it.

So let me show you the current prime suit available in warframe.

EUYaTG9.jpeg

Pretty pricy... but can I draw attention to the top thing included 3990 platinum, that seems like a lot, and it is.

typDDl6.jpeg

As you can see just 310 platinum more, is vastly more expensive, that's right the prime pack has discounted platinum prices before you even get to the frame and other items included.

Now let's look at the first decendant.

So for £79.99 you can buy 5000 + 750 premium currency in the first decendant and the ultimate decendant costs 5000, meaning you have 750 premium currency left over which is enough for maybe the cheapest reskin in the store, you can't buy anouther cool skin or anouther frame you like the look of.

Vs Warframe which gives you enough to splurge all over the premium store, or buy items from other players you want... none of which is available in the last decadent... so tell me as a gamer, why would I play the last decendant over warframe on a value propersition scale? Because it sure as hell not the gameplay that wins in comparison.

Last edited:

thatJohann

On PS5 if you’re using an LG OLED that supports VRR and 120Hz I found that these settings look the best for me:

Balanced mode
frame gen ON
Motion blur ON
Ray tracing OFF

Luipadre

All their effort went into making these skins to sell. The zones looks so boring, lifeless and generic its amazing. Some people probably having fun with the brainded wave based shooting, but this is definitely one of the most soulless product i've played in years

cormack12

Gold Member
Not really sure what I do now.

I'm just levelling and assigning the latest guns. I see there's some kind of infuse system. But there are loads of sub systems here man.

I don't even really understand upgrading modules tbh. I feel it's way over complicated for no real reason as well. I'm unlocking intercept missions for level 34 and I'm only level 25.

Might just uninstall now. Got my 10 hours worth.

All their effort went into making these skins to sell. The zones looks so boring, lifeless and generic its amazing. Some people probably having fun with the brainded wave based shooting, but this is definitely one of the most soulless product i've played in years
Yep I'm feeling the same way. The zones are all the same. Lifeless sandpits for them to reuse the same half a dozen mission types. They need more things going on, random events and encounters, things to find, etc.

nikos

I'm just levelling and assigning the latest guns. I see there's some kind of infuse system. But there are loads of sub systems here man.

I don't even really understand upgrading modules tbh. I feel it's way over complicated for no real reason as well. I'm unlocking intercept missions for level 34 and I'm only level 25.

I also just unlocked the 34 Intercept at level 25. I queued anyway and it was easy. The other people on my team were around level 28.

WX3

This game is definitely growing on me. I doubt its something I will play long term but its fun for now.
I feel the same way about the game. Might hold me over a few weeks or so. I am at a point where many of the games I have picked up recently have not gotten their hold on me, so having something like this is nice to keep me busy and active.

March Climber

Gold Member
Gunplay is fun, but the menu lingo complexity is confusing and off putting.
I was hoping they would change this from the beta. I don’t know why MMO shooters are trying to outdo one another with overly convoluted menus, currencies, and upgrade systems.

Like why would someone look at Warframe’s menu and say ‘yep, let’s make something like that!’ without at least making sure to check to see if that isn’t a negative selling point for a random player checking out their game.

The reason is for build depth. Being able to find different ways to play each character, or use each gun, based on player preference. There's a question mark on the right side of the screen on the modules screen that can explain things a bit if you click it. The real problem is that stupidly fast talking tutorial robot in the hub area. They really need to rework that.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I have played like 30hrs.....I wanted to exprerice GaaS because of Men_In_Boxes... I'm not built for GaaS AT ALL. I feel like shit afterwards. (but that is a me issue)

I can see the appeal of the game from mechanics and systems. the gameplay is dumb-fun, it feels good.

the narrative/story telling is completely soulless tho

and just because the main location reminds me of a Garden from FFVIII, I'm imagining how this could have been a Live spinoff game based on FFVIII's world

Pejo

A few questions that some of you guys might know the answer to:
  1. How do you tear pieces off of the colossi? I saw the tooltip on the first one that you scan it to see which spots can be removed, then you shoot it until it shows "yellow" status in scan, then the tooltip shows them grappling up to it and playing a QTE game to rip it off. Are only certain characters able to do that part? I tried as both Ajax and Gley and neither one of them can grapple any part of the monster, whether they're knocked down or not, glowing yellow or not. I've seen other players do it so I know it can be done, I just don't get how. For what it's worth, I think every player I saw do it was Lepic, so is it something only he (or his class) can do?
  2. What's the best way to level up an underleveled character? Just free roam and help other players out in their missions and level up naturally that way, or is there a faster way? Also I saw a message on the side of the screen that said something like "You can do 5 more daily missions". Does that mean altogehter, or ones I've already completed, or after I do those 5 I don't get xp/rewards or what?
  3. How do you get more of those keys or whatever to try to unlock those vertical casket things? I always keep losing the QTE for them and then it says I'm out of tries or whatever. Is there a shop to buy them, or are they refreshed each day or what?
  4. When do the colossi boss drops reset? I am fairly sure it's not daily because I can't get any more drops from the two I have access to, so I'm assuming weekly? Is it weekly on a set day/time (Sunday at midnight for example) or is it a week after you exhaust their drops or what?

Last edited:
Well it's been 3 days. Give them time.
Well I meant during development they should have added more random things.

Warframe was like this as well when it was released in 2013: boring, bland and repetitive.
That's true but TFD developers had Warframe to use as an example. So they don't get the same exemptions. They should have copied 2024 Warframe not 2013 Warframe.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
A few questions that some of you guys might know the answer to:
  1. How do you tear pieces off of the colossi? I saw the tooltip on the first one that you scan it to see which spots can be removed, then you shoot it until it shows "yellow" status in scan, then the tooltip shows them grappling up to it and playing a QTE game to rip it off. Are only certain characters able to do that part? I tried as both Ajax and Gley and neither one of them can grapple any part of the monster, whether they're knocked down or not, glowing yellow or not. I've seen other players do it so I know it can be done, I just don't get how. For what it's worth, I think every player I saw do it was Lepic, so is it something only he (or his class) can do?
  2. What's the best way to level up an underleveled character? Just free roam and help other players out in their missions and level up naturally that way, or is there a faster way? Also I saw a message on the side of the screen that said something like "You can do 5 more daily missions". Does that mean altogehter, or ones I've already completed, or after I do those 5 I don't get xp/rewards or what?
  3. How do you get more of those keys or whatever to try to unlock those vertical casket things? I always keep losing the QTE for them and then it says I'm out of tries or whatever. Is there a shop to buy them, or are they refreshed each day or what?
  4. When do the colossi boss drops reset? I am fairly sure it's not daily because I can't get any more drops from the two I have access to, so I'm assuming weekly? Is it weekly on a set day/time (Sunday at midnight for example) or is it a week after you exhaust their drops or what?
1. You have to grapple to them using R1/RB but it's hit and miss and depends on positioning. Then you use L2/R2 - one pulls it off and the other keeps hold while it tries to shake you off. Can't remember which one sorry

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Well I meant during development they should have added more random things.

That's true but TFD developers had Warframe to use as an example. So they don't get the same exemptions. They should have copied 2024 Warframe not 2013 Warframe.
All successful Live Service games took years to get to the point where they are now though.

That's years of feedback to improve their games. None of them hit the nail on the head day 1 and none ever will.

That's just the nature of Live Service games.

Getting the core of the game right is the most fundamental thing to sort out and as far as gameplay goes, they have a thing going here.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I understand this but surely games coming out now should try to improve on their inspirations from the get go rather than play catch up.
Catch up to what though?

I think it's best to just see how each game develops and how they'll shape up over the course of the first 2-3 years or so.

AteBitWolf

Neo Member
The First Descendant Hotfix 1.0.1
STEAM
PSN
XBOX
Greetings, Descendant.

The First Descendant Hotfix 1.0.1 patch has been applied.

■ Patch Schedule

- PDT 2024.07.05 (Fri) 08:30

■ Platforms

- Steam, XBOX SERIES X│S, XBOX ONE, PS4, PS5

■ Patch Details

Platform & System

- Fixed the issue where the logo sound volume was too high when launching the game.

- Server and client stabilization has been carried out.

- (PS5) Removed unintended factors that were degrading performance.

- (PS5, XSX) Fixed the issue where FSR Upscale was malfunctioning.

Content Improvements

- Knockback and knockdown recovery times have been sped up by 1.5 times.

- The maximum usage of the Eterllick shield skill per phase has been reduced from 2 times to 1 time.

Bug Fixes

(1) UI/UX

- Fixed the issue where the back button did not work after closing the capacity exceeded popup in the module enhancement UI.

(2) Descendant

- (XB1) Fixed the issue where the heads of other players wearing skins would intermittently not display.

(3) Module

- Fixed the issue where the ‘Skill Power Modifier’ number was not applied correctly after level 5 enhancement of the ‘Lethal Infection’ module.

- Fixed the issue where the ultimate module drop animation was used when the normal module ‘High-Power Rounds Capacity Increase’ was dropped.

(4) Field

- Fixed the issue where object destruction animations did not appear in the Strategic Outpost.

- Fixed the issue where the name and description of the NPC Dominique in the Hagios region were displayed incorrectly.

(5) Equipment

- Fixed the issue where the Guided Round of the Ultimate Weapon ‘Restored Relic’ did not apply the ‘Ancient Fire’ status effect.

- Fixed the tooltip error for the Fire Skill Power of the ‘Active Volcano’ External Components 2-set effect.

- Fixed the tooltip error for the Weak Point Damage of the ‘Frozen Heart’ External Components 4-set effect.

Thank you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS5 version seems to be dropping considerably more than Xbox here based on what's out so far.

QjJRKvo.png

30 FPS RT mode

hZFfhjP.png

Last edited:

Ogbert

The PS5 version seems to be dropping considerably more than Xbox here based on what's out so far.

QjJRKvo.png

30 FPS RT mode

hZFfhjP.png
PS5 is horrendous.

It runs smoother on my Steam Deck.

Have no idea what’s causing it. I think it’s server related because on performance it drops from 100 frames to mid 20s seemingly at random.

Way worse than the beta.

QjJRKvo.png

30 FPS RT mode

hZFfhjP.png
■ Patch Details

Platform & System

- Fixed the issue where the logo sound volume was too high when launching the game.

- Server and client stabilization has been carried out.

- (PS5) Removed unintended factors that were degrading performance.

- (PS5, XSX) Fixed the issue where FSR Upscale was malfunctioning.

QjJRKvo.png

30 FPS RT mode

hZFfhjP.png
Runs way worse than it did in beta on PS5. think the PS5 version is extremely bugged.

I'm playing on PC where it runs much better but I decided to try the PS5 version to see what was going on and was shocked to see how bad it ran.

cormack12

Gold Member

QjJRKvo.png

30 FPS RT mode

hZFfhjP.png
Yeah it awful. I've been swapping between the XSX and PS5 for cross progression and the PS5 is like a slide show. Dunno wtf is going on.

Albion is just awful. Open world isn't too bad until you have players nearby in my experience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah it awful. I've been swapping between the XSX and PS5 for cross progression and the PS5 is like a slide show. Dunno wtf is going on.

Albion is just awful. Open world isn't too bad until you have players nearby in my experience.

Has it improved after the hotfix, in your experience?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is the gunplay any good? I'm hearing wildly different opinions.

I think its actually pretty fun. Its one of those games where its just fun to run around and shoot things. Ive been enjoying it way more than I thought I would honestly.

Im on PC with m&kb though, cant speak for controller.

But since its free, I think its definitely at least worth a checkout. Youll know pretty quick if youre feeling it or not.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm not talking about the controls/aim, i'm talking about enemy reactions, death animations, gore, ragdoll etc.

Reminds me a lot of Destiny here, its totally fine but nothing quantum. Enemies do give hit reactions and just kind of fold over when killed and then melt away after a few seconds. Some can be stunned, some of the bigger bosses have specific body parts you can target and they react to it.

Yeah Destiny is probably a decent comparison here. Its not bad at all but not really a special selling point Id say. Theres not really any gore or anything.

What I like about it is more just how fluid it feels. The movement to the actual shooting to being able to mow down hordes. Its just feels good all around imo. But youre not going to be blown away by any specific animations or physics most likely.

Last edited:
Has it improved after the hotfix, in your experience?

No.

It’s still horrendous. Looks like a PS3 game dropping to 20fps.

I think it has to be server side. Even if they hadn’t optimised it at all, it would run better than this.
Not sure what you're talking about. I played about 10 minutes ago, and the performance was way better. Even in the first area, which probably had the worst frame rate before the update.

Ogbert

Not sure what you're talking about. I played about 10 minutes ago, and the performance was way better. Even in the first area, which probably had the worst frame rate before the update.
Ah, update just dropped for me.

Frame rate much better. Still looks washed out but the performance is much more stable.

Top Bottom