• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Descendant |OT| Co-Hop? Bunny Hop!

Dthomp

Holy crap, Pyromaniac is ruining my life...such a monster wall. They made a mistake giving everybody Bunny right away (outside of to sell that sweet skins) cause she is downright useless in this battle...but you need to beat it with her for her personal quest. Randos who either don't level their modules or just don't know how to use abilities cause they leveled up in a group thing where they gained all their levels at once and have no clue how to play their descendants. I will beat this bastard

Reactions: Isa

kikii

Gold Member
Holy crap, Pyromaniac is ruining my life...such a monster wall. They made a mistake giving everybody Bunny right away (outside of to sell that sweet skins) cause she is downright useless in this battle...but you need to beat it with her for her personal quest. Randos who either don't level their modules or just don't know how to use abilities cause they leveled up in a group thing where they gained all their levels at once and have no clue how to play their descendants. I will beat this bastard
i did pyro few hrs ago with random bunnies, i played Viessa, when finished timer had like 13 secs left but i think it was some what 15th try ^^

I beat Pyromaniac solo with 2:13 left on the clock. Unless you're an average or worse player and need to be carried, there's no reason to do team battles

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

They're adding matchmaking to Hard Mode:

Matchmaking should always be standard for any mode in any multiplayer game.

Yeah, about that, how do you level up modules?

Modules can't be levelled up, you keep switching them out until level 100. Once you unlock endgame, modules go on weekly rotations where you can farm the specific gun/main/sub stats of the level 100 module you want.

Killjoy-NL

Modules can't be levelled up, you keep switching them out until level 100. Once you unlock endgame, modules go on weekly rotations where you can farm the specific gun/main/sub stats of the level 100 module you want.
Thanks, was already a but confused on if I missed something.

What's endgame like?

Isa

In Albion next to Anais(sp?), the npc where you research new characters, parts and weapons there is a guy past the weapons vendor and workbench that let's you upgrade, combine and sell mods. This requires Kuiper and gold I believe. The levels also have limits based on overall capacity of said weapons and descendants individual capacity to hold them, and can be improved when maxing them out when leveling up and also using a rare material.

Killjoy-NL

In Albion next to Anais(sp?), the npc where you research new characters, parts and weapons there is a guy past the weapons vendor and workbench that let's you upgrade, combine and sell mods. This requires Kuiper and gold I believe. The levels also have limits based on overall capacity of said weapons and descendants individual capacity to hold them, and can be improved when maxing them out when leveling up and also using a rare material.
Thank you, will check it out after work.

Still lots of stuff I need to figure out. Just been grinding like crazy and skipping literally every conversation in the game, so probably missed out on a lot of info. Lol

Isa

Thank you, will check it out after work.

Still lots of stuff I need to figure out. Just been grinding like crazy and skipping literally every conversation in the game, so probably missed out on a lot of info. Lol
No worries, me too lol. It's all kind of convoluted and sometimes best found through exploring or trial and error lol.

Pyromaniac is weak to skills and blocks most gun damage. Solo it using Vienna (ice damage) with mods focusing on skills to do most of your damage. Using teammates buffs the boss and it's going to be impossible if they're just spamming bullets with Bunny
I don't have Vienna unfortunately. I have Ajax, Bunny, Valba and Freyna.
Also, the grind is just too much for me. I got 3 parts of Gley, but the last one simply won't drop for me.
The issue I have with the whole system is that you can't just farm for the item you need. First you need to farm an event for an item with a low drop rate that then allows you to do another activity for the actual item you want at a low drop rate. So you have to verse the RNG twice. And don't get me started on all the other stuff that you need to farm to unlock the full potential of even one character or weapon. Way too many convoluted systems in these types of games for them to be fun for your average player.

Aion002

Gold Member
I don't have Vienna unfortunately. I have Ajax, Bunny, Valba and Freyna.

The issue I have with the whole system is that you can't just farm for the item you need. First you need to farm an event for an item with a low drop rate that then allows you to do another activity for the actual item you want at a low drop rate. So you have to verse the RNG twice. And don't get me started on all the other stuff that you need to farm to unlock the full potential of even one character or weapon. Way too many convoluted systems in these types of games for them to be fun for your average player.
Yes, is really tiresome and it's all about luck most of times.

For the Gley item specifically I had to farm an item that has a low drop rate and is locked behind a silly mission that has a 4 minutes cooldown, then I have to do two different missions a couple of times to get two different items to be able to fight an enemy that has a really low chance of dropping the item I want.

I did this whole thing for 5 hours, 3 hours on sunday and 2 hours on monday, I fought the damn enemy more than 50 times.The enemy always drops 1 item and has a loot pool of 5 items, one which is the Gley item... I got all the other 4 items multiple times except for the damn thing I needed.

Aging Lethal Weapon GIF

I almost ended up buying the character, but it's Nexon so I rather just quit.

Hey, I'd love to give this a try some time in the future. But as an ex-Destiny 2/Warframe player I don't think I'll ever be in the mood again at grinding stuff. The burnout is real with me, but I'm just curious how grindy this compares to those games. I commend anyone who plays more than one of these games at the same time.

I have a bad feeling "RNG on top of RNG" is going to be the new way to manipulate human psychology in a way that still gives you the dopamine hit of getting the first RNG, but then the second RNG is there to crush the true drop rate into the ground.

Diablo 4's core mechanic for the new season is literally just that. Not only do you need to get the RNG for the item you want, but you then have to apply bonuses onto the item that is pure RNG, so even if you get the perfect item drop there is a good chance you will brick the item and make it worthless But you got that dopamine hit from the first drop, and now the second RNG is like gambling, so they are manipulating you into making the system feel good. Meanwhile if your initial drop RNG was the "true" RNG rate nobody would play the game because it would be so small it would feel terrible and not worthwhile to play.

Anyway that's my somewhat unrelated rant, so far this game seems cool but I've played only one night and haven't even seen what the true gameplay loop is.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Anybody know what time the daily reset is? Any time zone is fine, I can convert it.

Im pretty sure its 12am pacific time. Im in Las Vegas and I think it reset like right at midnight last night.

But if you go into the challenge menu and look at daily, I think it gives you a countdown timer until reset also.

Pejo

I've been really enjoying my time. I 'researched' a handful of characters now, and I think the one I jive the most with is Freyna. I hear Valby is basically the same but better, but I haven't unlocked her yet.

Anyways, been running that one mission on repeat for a while now trying to get her character specific mod to buff her skill. Seems like they're exceedingly rare drops. I have 4 other ones already from random drops I guess, but none for characters I use (or own).

I also found out that there are cosmetics and shit you get from the BP for free in a semi-hidden little shop to the bottom right of the BP overview screen. You can get currency for that shop by doing the 6~ "seasonal" missions. Even if you pay for the BP you don't get this currency, and as far as I know, the only way to get the currency is those seasonal missions. Something to be aware of.

I finally finished the story last night and unlocked hard mode. Have levelled the four Descendants that I have to 40 (Ajax, Bunny, Freyna, Valby) and think I'm about done. Might play a bit here and there as it's quick and easy to jump in and do a few missions hoping for some materials but can't see myself grinding it out like some will do. I've realised that fully unlocking the potential of even one Descendant and ultimate weapon is going to be quite the slog for an average player like myself. There are way too many upgrading systems, for example having to craft an ultimate weapon 5 times just to max out the unique ability is kinda silly. Should be one and done.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've been really enjoying my time. I 'researched' a handful of characters now, and I think the one I jive the most with is Freyna. I hear Valby is basically the same but better, but I haven't unlocked her yet.

Anyways, been running that one mission on repeat for a while now trying to get her character specific mod to buff her skill. Seems like they're exceedingly rare drops. I have 4 other ones already from random drops I guess, but none for characters I use (or own).

I also found out that there are cosmetics and shit you get from the BP for free in a semi-hidden little shop to the bottom right of the BP overview screen. You can get currency for that shop by doing the 6~ "seasonal" missions. Even if you pay for the BP you don't get this currency, and as far as I know, the only way to get the currency is those seasonal missions. Something to be aware of.
I just downloaded the game, any tips to not get too much confused?

Free to play looter shooter are not exactly a genre that i play a lot.

(Like maybe some tips that the game doesn't explain).

Last edited:

Pejo

I just downloaded the game, any tips to not get too much confused?

Free to play looter shooter are not exactly a genre that i play a lot.

(Like maybe some tips that the game doesn't explain).
Best I got is just to do the main story missions for a while. It opens up all of the various facilities and modes (there are a lot and it's kinda confusing). I recommend swapping weapons somewhat frequently for higher level weapons that you get from drops. Using a variety of weapons will give you easy weapon proficiency which helps you level up your Mastery level (basically your account level). That also has a side effect of giving you more points for mods (think of little gear chips you equip to weapons/characters to give them various stat/passive bonuses).

When you are done with a weapon (when it becomes too low level for the content you're doing), you can safely dismantle them. Except Gold tier weapons (Legendary weapons or something, idk what this game calls them). When you start making/acquiring gold weapons, you want to "lock" them by hitting L2/LT in the inventory so you don't accidentally trash them. In fact that's probably one of the best early things to get used to - after every new "area" or after a dungeon run or whatever, get in the habit of evaluating and trashing your old weapons. They give you upgrade/crafting materials for stuff you'll need a lot of later. I am a game hoarder by nature, so I always keep 1 copy of every gun in my storage (not active inventory). Then when I am clearing space, I'll sort by Name and trash all but the higher level of every gun. Outside of the Gold tier frame weapons, you can easily get them all again though, so don't think you have to be like me and keep a copy of every one.

When you're out exploring you'll see lots of cannisters with blue lights and square yellow boxes. Don't go out of your way for them necessarily, but try to loot them both when you have the time. They give misc. materials you will need for crafting later and it's way more annoying to have to go back and purposefully farm them opposed to just collecting a bunch while you're running through the areas doing missions.

I would also recommend that you stick with one character until at least you unlock the hoard defense mode, not sure what the official name is, but it has a shield icon on the map. That mode is EZ character leveling because every character's level is separate. It's also a good place to get gun proficiency.

The bosses work in kind of a strange way to me, coming mostly from Destiny in the looter shooter genre. So by doing regular missions and various activities, you'll get Amorphous materials. Each material has a chance to be "decoded" into various drops depending on the material it is and the boss you fight. After you beat the bosses, they drop random guns and gear, but they also leave a green orb hanging around. Each orb you can only use once, and you feed an Amorphous material to it and it will decode it into one of the drops (each has a listed % of what the drop chance is for each thing). So the rarer drops (usually to get characters and Gold tier weapons) require you to do activities/missions to get the correct Amorphous material, which you then fight the correct boss and decode it and pray you get what you want. Some of the rarer drops have a 3% chance, so it can be soul sucking. At least the Amorphous material drops are zero RNG, if you do the correct activity, you are guaranteed to get that drop.

I'm no expert in the game, but I'm at around 35 hours already, so I at least understand most of the systems, if you have questions.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Best I got is just to do the main story missions for a while. It opens up all of the various facilities and modes (there are a lot and it's kinda confusing). I recommend swapping weapons somewhat frequently for higher level weapons that you get from drops. Using a variety of weapons will give you easy weapon proficiency which helps you level up your Mastery level (basically your account level). That also has a side effect of giving you more points for mods (think of little gear chips you equip to weapons/characters to give them various stat/passive bonuses).

When you are done with a weapon (when it becomes too low level for the content you're doing), you can safely dismantle them. Except Gold tier weapons (Legendary weapons or something, idk what this game calls them). When you start making/acquiring gold weapons, you want to "lock" them by hitting L2/LT in the inventory so you don't accidentally trash them. In fact that's probably one of the best early things to get used to - after every new "area" or after a dungeon run or whatever, get in the habit of evaluating and trashing your old weapons. They give you upgrade/crafting materials for stuff you'll need a lot of later. I am a game hoarder by nature, so I always keep 1 copy of every gun in my storage (not active inventory). Then when I am clearing space, I'll sort by Name and trash all but the higher level of every gun. Outside of the Gold tier frame weapons, you can easily get them all again though, so don't think you have to be like me and keep a copy of every one.

When you're out exploring you'll see lots of cannisters with blue lights and square yellow boxes. Don't go out of your way for them necessarily, but try to loot them both when you have the time. They give misc. materials you will need for crafting later and it's way more annoying to have to go back and purposefully farm them opposed to just collecting a bunch while you're running through the areas doing missions.

I would also recommend that you stick with one character until at least you unlock the hoard defense mode, not sure what the official name is, but it has a shield icon on the map. That mode is EZ character leveling because every character's level is separate. It's also a good place to get gun proficiency.

The bosses work in kind of a strange way to me, coming mostly from Destiny in the looter shooter genre. So by doing regular missions and various activities, you'll get Amorphous materials. Each material has a chance to be "decoded" into various drops depending on the material it is and the boss you fight. After you beat the bosses, they drop random guns and gear, but they also leave a green orb hanging around. Each orb you can only use once, and you feed an Amorphous material to it and it will decode it into one of the drops (each has a listed % of what the drop chance is for each thing). So the rarer drops (usually to get characters and Gold tier weapons) require you to do activities/missions to get the correct Amorphous material, which you then fight the correct boss and decode it and pray you get what you want. Some of the rarer drops have a 3% chance, so it can be soul sucking. At least the Amorphous material drops are zero RNG, if you do the correct activity, you are guaranteed to get that drop.

I'm no expert in the game, but I'm at around 35 hours already, so I at least understand most of the systems, if you have questions.
Thanks man, much appreciated.

kikii

Gold Member
Got about 2 hours in and got booted out of the server twice now.
are u using wi-fi ? game does have some packet loss issues no matter how stable ur connection is ^^ i get rubberbanding alot sometimes and fck me its annoying, servers are prolly located in N-Korea :p j/k

At least the Amorphous material drops are zero RNG, if you do the correct activity, you are guaranteed to get that drop.
I don't think this is necessarily true. I had to farm one of the wave events multiple times before I got the amorphous material for one of Valby's parts to drop.

Last edited:

Labolas

are u using wi-fi ? game does have some packet loss issues no matter how stable ur connection is ^^ i get rubberbanding alot sometimes and fck me its annoying, servers are prolly located in N-Korea :p j/k
Yup, I'll see if being wired would help any.

kikii

Gold Member
What resolution on PS5? I think it’s quite blurry with performance mode.
i dono i started on PS5 lil bit over week ago and swapped to PC cuz PS version was so shit ^^, game isnt smooth on PC either it has some issue, uhm screen freezes once in an hour or so 2 times in a row, thought i fcked up smt when building PC 3 weeks ago ^^

i dono i started on PS5 lil bit over week ago and swapped to PC cuz PS version was so shit ^^, game isnt smooth on PC either it has some issue, uhm screen freezes once in an hour or so 2 times in a row, thought i fcked up smt when building PC 3 weeks ago ^^
Agreed, PS version is kinda shitty, wanted to test on my XSS but after playing about an hour I felt the game pretty boring, so I deleted it. I guess f2p is not my cup of tea.

PS5 version isn't that bad now. It was really bad at launch but they improved performance quite a bit now. It still has some frame drops and some blurriness on performance mode but it's decent now to be honest. Haven't had any issues playing.

kikii

Gold Member
Agreed, PS version is kinda shitty, wanted to test on my XSS but after playing about an hour I felt the game pretty boring, so I deleted it. I guess f2p is not my cup of tea.
well cant argue abt who likes what ^^ ill drop lil bomb, i love TLoU2 uwwuuuuuh :D

Pejo

I don't think this is necessarily true. I had to farm one of the wave events multiple times before I got the amorphous material for one of Valby's parts to drop.
Yea you're right. They're 100% from some sources (like the instanced story missions) but the outposts and other activities aren't.

The stated percentage drop rate for descendant mats in this game are a fucking joke.

Look I dig this game but the sheer fucking bullshitting the player and making them grind on a fools errand just sours my experience. You want money, fine. Don't lie about your drop rates.

Edit: Yep this is all over their Steam discussion board. Way to go devs fucking up a decent game with blatant lying about drop rates.

Last edited:

kikii

Gold Member
The stated percentage drop rate for descendant mats in this game are a fucking joke.

Look I dig this game but the sheer fucking bullshitting the player and making them grind on a fools errand just sours my experience. You want money, fine. Don't lie about your drop rates.

Edit: Yep this is all over their Steam discussion board. Way to go devs fucking up a decent game with blatant lying about drop rates.
u should have play game called KalOnline back then and then we can have convo abt drop rates :D

The difficulty spikes were annoying
Also, the grind is just too much for me. I got 3 parts of Gley, but the last one simply won't drop for me.
I tried for 3 hours last night and today I just tried 10 times and the damn thing won't drop. It felt like playing a gacha...

As someone who has played Nexon games before, especially Vindictus (which TFD feels like a shooter-version of to me), here's my advice to anyone here when it comes to Nexon games:

1. Put the game down once you hit the biggest difficulty wall it has to offer (which is usually somewhere near or somewhat before end game).
  2. Check the community sites every now and then to see if an important item is being offered or given to people for free (like cash shop money or a part to create a character/weapon). Log in just to grab it (because it might help later).
  3. (This one is the most important step) Wait until the next batch of content drops (either new raid, area, or challenges), once it does, try engaging with that older difficulty wall you had trouble with before. It will most likely be nerfed or easier to get into. This is on purpose to fast-track people to the new content wall, in order for them to spend more money or spend more time grinding on the new endgame content.
  4. Also, when you go back, try engaging with the older drops (whether weapon or character) to see if they increased the drop rates. Again, this will probably happen in order to get the player to the new content and endgame faster.
I followed these steps with most Nexon games I played in the late 2000s to mid 2010s, when Nexon was arguably at their most popular point. You will unfortunately always be one step behind everyone else in content, but you will feel much happier doing so with much less grind and frustration involved.

Yeah they are a joke, after twice taking over 10 times each to get a Freya drop that is stated at 20% (I still didn't get one of the items), I think I'm going to start recording my drop rates. Would love to have a big sample then do a monte Carlo and figure out just how improbable my odds have been. I'm guessing the average player is probably getting something like 1 in a million bad luck lol

kikii

Gold Member
As someone who has played Nexon games before, especially Vindictus (which TFD feels like a shooter-version of to me), here's my advice to anyone here when it comes to Nexon games:

1. Put the game down once you hit the biggest difficulty wall it has to offer (which is usually somewhere near or somewhat before end game).
  2. Check the community sites every now and then to see if an important item is being offered or given to people for free (like cash shop money or a part to create a character/weapon). Log in just to grab it (because it might help later).
  3. (This one is the most important step) Wait until the next batch of content drops (either new raid, area, or challenges), once it does, try engaging with that older difficulty wall you had trouble with before. It will most likely be nerfed or easier to get into. This is on purpose to fast-track people to the new content wall, in order for them to spend more money or spend more time grinding on the new endgame content.
  4. Also, when you go back, try engaging with the older drops (whether weapon or character) to see if they increased the drop rates. Again, this will probably happen in order to get the player to the new content and endgame faster.
I followed these steps with most Nexon games I played in the late 2000s to mid 2010s, when Nexon was arguably at their most popular point. You will unfortunately always be one step behind everyone else in content, but you will feel much happier doing so with much less grind and frustration involved.
its too hard for these ppl as they are thinking that all should drop day1 :p

its too hard for these ppl as they are thinking that all should drop day1 :p
And that's a problem that Nexon games have. They have had a lot of fun games and ideas in the past that many gamers don't want to give them credit for, but the way they always have their devs plan their online games is the same roadmap: Make the players hit a wall at a certain point in order to spend money or grind enough to spend money on cosmetics.

However because of this, it makes it predictable for someone to know how to spend as little money as possible to have as much fun as possible. Not many have done the patient-trick that I described, and it even took me a while to figure out, but I was much better off for it when I discovered it.

For Nexon, the grind is only the grind when you yourself make it that way.

Yeah they are a joke, after twice taking over 10 times each to get a Freya drop that is stated at 20% (I still didn't get one of the items), I think I'm going to start recording my drop rates. Would love to have a big sample then do a monte Carlo and figure out just how improbable my odds have been. I'm guessing the average player is probably getting something like 1 in a million bad luck lol

In two different tries for different descendant mats. Both over 20 attempts.

There was some module that had a lower stated drop rate of 15%. I received duplicates of that module with the lower drop rate before getting the descendant material drop. The "rarer" module cannot be purchased in the store. The descendant can.

IGN is among the worst reviewers when I compare their takes to my takes. At least for movies, TV shows and games....lol

2 things can be true:

1) IGN has an odd way of reviewing to where they have become the joke of the gaming industry in terms of reviews (their exclusive coverage and trailer posts are at least still nice and efficiently posted).

2) Good media reviewers usually don't fall for the 'sex sells' style of marketing. Most of them didn't in the 90s/2000s when things went xtreme, and hopefully they still don't fall for it today, in the future, and ever. I would consider it just as BS if any reviewer bumped a score up 1 or 2 full points of a mediocre game and tricked people into thinking it was good and buying it, just because the protagonist had a nice ass.

My god, the constant rubber banding and the disconnects today. This is what makes tedious grinding for abysmally low drop rates amazing. Allows me to reflect on my decisions.

Real talk (and I mean this): This game has great potential, great art direction, when it works it's a lot of fun, but absolute shitty gameplay loop to overtly incentivize their cash shop and running their servers on a sack of potatoes. Just ask for money upfront next time.

Last edited:

Neolombax

First Descendant is currently my go to game to relax. I can completely shut my brain off, and go shoot stuff and grind. There's a crazy amount of grinding here, but I dont mind it, at least for now. Shooting feels satisfying enough for now to keep on doing the monotonous tasks. Currently only have 2 descendants unlocked, solider man and bunny girl. I've been told playing bunny girl elevated the game a bit, but I don't really like her. She seems like a discount Stormcaller from D2, I prefer soldier man more.

Top Bottom