• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Descendant |OT| Co-Hop? Bunny Hop!

LRKD

A few questions that some of you guys might know the answer to:
  1. How do you tear pieces off of the colossi? I saw the tooltip on the first one that you scan it to see which spots can be removed, then you shoot it until it shows "yellow" status in scan, then the tooltip shows them grappling up to it and playing a QTE game to rip it off. Are only certain characters able to do that part? I tried as both Ajax and Gley and neither one of them can grapple any part of the monster, whether they're knocked down or not, glowing yellow or not. I've seen other players do it so I know it can be done, I just don't get how. For what it's worth, I think every player I saw do it was Lepic, so is it something only he (or his class) can do?
  2. What's the best way to level up an underleveled character? Just free roam and help other players out in their missions and level up naturally that way, or is there a faster way? Also I saw a message on the side of the screen that said something like "You can do 5 more daily missions". Does that mean altogehter, or ones I've already completed, or after I do those 5 I don't get xp/rewards or what?
  3. How do you get more of those keys or whatever to try to unlock those vertical casket things? I always keep losing the QTE for them and then it says I'm out of tries or whatever. Is there a shop to buy them, or are they refreshed each day or what?
  4. When do the colossi boss drops reset? I am fairly sure it's not daily because I can't get any more drops from the two I have access to, so I'm assuming weekly? Is it weekly on a set day/time (Sunday at midnight for example) or is it a week after you exhaust their drops or what?
1. I think there is something wrong with the crab boss tutorial or something lol, no one i've talked to has been able to grapple the tutorial guy. But yeah you hit a spot till it turns yellow and you grapple to it. There are two different kinds of those blue weak point spots though. There are "destructible" parts, and "removable" parts. So you can't grapple the destructible ones, only the removable ones. Usually, it's just the shoulders or sometimes chest for grapple, whereas the wrists/legs/eyes are breakable but not grapple. You can see it on the screen before you que up for the boss fights.

2. Once you complete all of Kingston (the first area), a new mission in Grand Square, the top area unlocks. It's called something like "special operation defend albian" or something like that, it has a shield icon and it's right by that top fast travel point. It's a wave based defend mission, doing it is by far the fastest way to level characters.

3. Sorry no clue what you are talking about

4. Are you talking about the treasure chest after the boss fights? The Colossi boss chest doesn't "drop" anything per say. The way it works is you grind out Amorphous Material from other activities. Then you go do the boss to decrypt one of the materials. So you can do it as many times as you want, you just need to go get more Amorphous materials.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Gunplay is a broad term, how things die, how they react, if the ragdoll is on point etc. all contribute to good gunplay and visual variety, at least for me.

Thanks for the info.
It’s not nearly in the same league as D2.

Animation is nothing like as clean, reactive explosions are not as precise. The audio design is good on trigger pull, but not as responsive in dealing damage.

Imagine outriders with a better FOV, more mobs and a fun grapple mechanic.

Around this is a sea of meaningless currency and micro transactions.

It’s a 6/10 game wrapped in a 3/10 free to play model. But it will find an audience.

phant0m

It’s not nearly in the same league as D2.

Animation is nothing like as clean, reactive explosions are not as precise. The audio design is good on trigger pull, but not as responsive in dealing damage.

Imagine outriders with a better FOV, more mobs and a fun grapple mechanic.

Around this is a sea of meaningless currency and micro transactions.

It’s a 6/10 game wrapped in a 3/10 free to play model. But it will find an audience.

100%. The "D2 + Warframe had a baby" is pretty spot on, except it's a not-quite-as-good-as-their-parents baby.

The gunplay isn't quite as good as D2, nor is the movement as good as Warframe's. They're both surprisingly good for a F2P title but fall short of their predecessors. Really nice chunky, mechanical sounds on the weapons though.

Mission design is also worse than either. Extremely short, mobile-style missions.

Pejo

1. I think there is something wrong with the crab boss tutorial or something lol, no one i've talked to has been able to grapple the tutorial guy. But yeah you hit a spot till it turns yellow and you grapple to it. There are two different kinds of those blue weak point spots though. There are "destructible" parts, and "removable" parts. So you can't grapple the destructible ones, only the removable ones. Usually, it's just the shoulders or sometimes chest for grapple, whereas the wrists/legs/eyes are breakable but not grapple. You can see it on the screen before you que up for the boss fights.
Thanks I'll keep trying I guess.
2. Once you complete all of Kingston (the first area), a new mission in Grand Square, the top area unlocks. It's called something like "special operation defend albian" or something like that, it has a shield icon and it's right by that top fast travel point. It's a wave based defend mission, doing it is by far the fastest way to level characters.
Ok cool, so I'll just keep progressing and worry about bringing my other characters up to level in that activity.
3. Sorry no clue what you are talking about
I found the answer after some digging, they're called Encrypted Vaults and they look like this:
457701583.jpg

4. Are you talking about the treasure chest after the boss fights? The Colossi boss chest doesn't "drop" anything per say. The way it works is you grind out Amorphous Material from other activities. Then you go do the boss to decrypt one of the materials. So you can do it as many times as you want, you just need to go get more Amorphous materials.
Is there a list of which activities drop which Materials, or does it show them anywhere in game? Thanks for clearing that up btw.

LRKD

Is there a list of which activities drop which Materials, or does it show them anywhere in game? Thanks for clearing that up btw.
Probably the easiest way, is open your map, and tab over to the left to "access info" that whole page is the best resource for finding what you need for a character, weapon, or whatever else you want there you can preview what item it needs, and exactly where it can be obtained.

Probably the easiest way, is open your map, and tab over to the left to "access info" that whole page is the best resource for finding what you need for a character, weapon, or whatever else you want there you can preview what item it needs, and exactly where it can be obtained.
I learned about this a couple of days ago, and I don't know of ANY other loot game that has a feature like this. And so many other things related to loot are also handled with thought and awareness of how to make a great loot game.

I'd agree a 6 or MAYBE 7/10 for the game, 3/10 story, I'd say maybe a 7 out of 10 for the free to play model (pricey, but you can earn just about everything that isn't a cosmetic through regular gameplay), and a 9 out of 10 for the loot features.

panda-zebra

This is exactly the kind of game I need right now; a pop on, get it done, grindy looter with decent drop in matchmaking I can just switch my mind off and play. Not got the energy or desire to go all in on Destiny 2 again, despite friends playing it and asking, but this game hits the spot with zero commitment or expense (for now, lol).

The first hour or so was a bit rough and almost boring, but giving it a good few hours today it's drawing me in more and more.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Game is a ton of fun, I’m enjoying it. I could see me sinking some serious time into this.

My only complaint at the moment is they absolutely gotta add matchmaking to hard mode for infiltrations.

Nydius

All their effort went into making these skins to sell. The zones looks so boring, lifeless and generic its amazing. Some people probably having fun with the brainded wave based shooting, but this is definitely one of the most soulless product i've played in years

After putting about 6 hours into it over the course of a couple days, this is how I feel about it too. It’s almost like a glorified mobile game where more time and effort is put into the store and MTX than the actual gameplay. If I wanted to deal with a convoluted mess of menus and storefronts, I’d just play the “free” iteration of Destiny 2 where at least the gunplay and level design are leagues better.

I wish them the best but this bland, predatory mess isn’t for me. It’ll be interesting to see how this does once the honeymoon period ends.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah I've been playing on PS5 since yesterday, intercept missions are much smoother, the open world is also much better.

Going back to the XSX though and the difference is still stark. Even in Albion. However, it's no different to loading into iron forge or stormwind back in the day. It's not a big deal in the hubs tbh.

I'm getting into some of the crafting elements right now, it does need a better onboarding process. Can see a lot of these mechanics changing. Will I continue after hitting top level? Not sure. M

I'm having fun with it, but I can't seem to get the sensitivity dialed in right for controller on XSX yet. Feels like my aim is all over the place, especially when aiming down site.
Also, weak spots on enemies when they turn yellow to grapple on to is especially annoying to try to hit due to the angle and how small it is. Feels like it was something really designed for mkb players. Maybe they need to turn up aim assist for those things.

The game also needs "raids" ala Destiny for endgame as the bosses at this point are just bullet sponges with no really variety....at least so far.
idk if it'll have legs as something I play on a regular basis, but it has potential.

Maybe they need to turn up aim assist for those things.
I had to drastically lower the aim assist on PS5 because trying to hit a target and it was always getting dragged around making it even harder to hit.

Also these reported drop rates in game can't be right. Yes I know there will be some RNG in play but when something says it's a 30% drop and you've done 15 runs and other people doing the same thing have said even more something must be wrong. Wouldn't surprise me if the reported rates aren't even true with these sorts of games. All about keeping you playing.

Killjoy-NL

I had to drastically lower the aim assist on PS5 because trying to hit a target and it was always getting dragged around making it even harder to hit.
I turned aim assist off straight away, like I always do. (Worst thing ever for controllers)

Got normal sensitivity at 94X and 66Y and aiming feels rather smooth.

Aim sensitivity is off though. Not sure how to set it, so I avoid using scoped weapons.

Roberts

Played this for a few hours. I don't know, it's an ok game, but I don't see a reason why I should stick with it. Everything feels so lifeless, devoid of passion and anything interesting both narratively or artistically. Weirdly enough, I think even Outriders was a lot better.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Played this for a few hours. I don't know, it's an ok game, but I don't see a reason why I should stick with it. Everything feels so lifeless, devoid of passion and anything interesting both narratively or artistically. Weirdly enough, I think even Outriders was a lot better.
It does some things well and there is enjoyment to be had.

But it’s a soulless framework for micro-transactions.

Mossybrew

Took 3 different groups to finally down Stunning Beauty. People didnt realize 'oh theres a big eye icon over my character maybe I should break line of sight"

Mossybrew

Everything feels so lifeless, devoid of passion and anything interesting both narratively or artistically.
Sometimes you want fine dining and sometimes you just want some Burger King. Avoid the megameal upsells and the basic burger here is pretty good. Not every game needs to be an artistic passion project.

I am enjoying just shooting stuff and some of the later areas and operations (white-night gulch and the bio-lab operation) are pretty damn cool but the story and most of the world/mission feel pretty damn hollow. I'm also stuck at the Pyromaniac colossus so I can't continue into the next area until I beat it (best I've managed is half hp) so I'm just levelling up other characters at the moment. Have Ajax, Bunny and Valby at 40 with Freyna ready to go next. Some of the upgrade systems are convoluted for no reason other than to prolong the grind but that's the nature of these sorts of games I guess. Haven't spent any money and don't plan to. Will play until I get bored and then move on.

Killjoy-NL

Kinda addicted to the game now. Lol

Got Freyna at lvl 38 and bought Gley yesterday (lvl 23 i think now).
Gley is quite different from Freyna, having no shield and mana.

Time is limited, so I just went ahead and bought 2 descendants.
Not planning on spending any more money.

Will see how Concord will turn out this wknd, otherwise I might stick with First Descendant and FF XIV for a while.

I am enjoying just shooting stuff and some of the later areas and operations (white-night gulch and the bio-lab operation) are pretty damn cool but the story and most of the world/mission feel pretty damn hollow. I'm also stuck at the Pyromaniac colossus so I can't continue into the next area until I beat it (best I've managed is half hp) so I'm just levelling up other characters at the moment. Have Ajax, Bunny and Valby at 40 with Freyna ready to go next. Some of the upgrade systems are convoluted for no reason other than to prolong the grind but that's the nature of these sorts of games I guess. Haven't spent any money and don't plan to. Will play until I get bored and then move on.

Pyromaniac is weak to skills and blocks most gun damage. Solo it using Vienna (ice damage) with mods focusing on skills to do most of your damage. Using teammates buffs the boss and it's going to be impossible if they're just spamming bullets with Bunny

Last edited:

Pejo

So apparently when you're at a certain stage of Ultimate Bunny, you need to farm those vault things for drops. Here's a map with the common spawn points of them (still gated by the keys and whatever else).

I dunno exactly how you get her, but I wanted to have this in the thread for when I get to that point.
mved2z6za5bd1.png

Pejo

Finally getting my bearings with the game and it's million various systems, loot pools, mechanics, etc. They really make it convoluted for no real benefit to the player. Like nodes in Albion and the map. They should just make all activities available in a single menu in the pause screen. If I wanna fight bosses or do raids or whatever, it's silly to have so many places I have to look for the right activity. The currencies and drops could be simplified too without changing rates, just to streamline it and make it less confusing.

Anyways, I've got a pretty good handle on how to farm characters/guns/materials now. RNG aside, it's really not that bad, but again it's really annoying to grind this shit because every important material usually only drops from one activity specifically, instead of being from a pool of activities that all drop the same things.

Also damn, that defense mode is EZ leveling for sure. I got 13 levels on my Gley in a single run, and we only went to node 3 before the other guys voted to quit. I'm really glad that exists since each character has their own character level you have to deal with. It also helps with mastery too. You can put shitty guns on your 2nd/3rd slots and just use a good main and it will level up mastery of all 3 of them. It's monotonous and kinda boring, but it is definitely effective at gaining levels in a short amount of time with no loading screens.

I've been trying to farm Gley's character specific mod chip in one of the raids, and it's been pretty painful. I think it's the only place that drops it though, so what else can I do but grind grind grind. At least there are quite a few people in the same boat so the runs go faster and faster as time goes on.

Roberts

Sometimes you want fine dining and sometimes you just want some Burger King. Avoid the megameal upsells and the basic burger here is pretty good. Not every game needs to be an artistic passion project.

I’m not sure this comparison works. I could understand it with a junkfood game like Crackdown 3, but Final Descendants is a game you need to play and grind for a long time to get something out of it. You don’t want to eat at Burger King for a month every day, right?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I wouldnt agree much with this, Im getting fun out of it right now just shooting shit and finding new guns and stuff. If it ever feels like Im just grinding toward some distant goal Ill probably just be bored at that point and stop playing.
how many hours you have?

I'm probably going to let this game cook a little longer after more updates. The framerate fluctuation gives my stomach the dreaded motion sickness feels :(
There's a lot to like as well as stuff that they could definitely improve with some QoL. I'm still only on my starting character even though I've unlocked Bunny....her playstyle just isn't for me

TrebleShot

Game is very good needed something like this light hearted good mechanics and quick missions. Actually refreshing as opposed to the long drawn out dredge of most games.

If this is the next evolution of live service I like it.

Sony and Bungie should learn a thing or two.

Give us quick missions and addictive gameplay

Valt7786

The RNG in this is frustrating. I know its done on purpose to make us pay for things but god damn. I've been farming one instance for a part to make Sharen all day and it refuses to drop.

I wouldn't say buttery smooth as there are still some slow downs but nowhere near as bad as before. This is on performance mode with frame generation off
Yea after I posted that I got some minor slowdown yesterday, but overall pretty solid, especially as fucked as it was on launch lol

Aion002

Gold Member
I finally finished Valby and I got to the Pyromancer boss.... And I am also done with this game.

200.gif

The difficulty spikes were annoying and the perfomance on the PS5 is atrocious, some parts of white night gulch felt like a slide show, it is the first game that played better for me on the Xbox Series S, it looks worse, but the perfomance is great.

Also, the grind is just too much for me. I got 3 parts of Gley, but the last one simply won't drop for me.

I tried for 3 hours last night and today I just tried 10 times and the damn thing won't drop. It felt like playing a gacha...

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom