• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

For Flash, Barry and Wally, they would be just more OP as they are lol. They have speed, speed kills. Sure they have all the time in the world but they would rather use that time saving lives, stopping crimes, and helping out other heroes (or chow down on Big Belly Burgers).

I don't blame the Flashes for not receiving any or much martial arts training but it would help that they (or Barry) at least know how to throw a punch or kick lol. But I'm sure they've read many of books that teaches the philosophies of martial arts.

It always tickled me how Wally was so fast he grew bored with even brief meetings with the 'League, and thus really disliked Wonder Woman as she was prone to long-winded tirades.

ZeroX03

Banned

Oh cool, I hadn't read this. The "but years later I learned it was because I kept adding lines to the pilot script" kind of makes sense actually, Kev didn't know that's not how TV works and it seems he addressed that when it came to directing The Flash. He also found out on the Law and Order set that you don't ad lib on a show like that.

That was also two years ago, potentially Kreisberg could sit them both down and get them to hash out their differences. Kev does watch Guggenheim's Legends after all, but they're busy people. Creators don't have that much time to actually watch other stuff.
Supergirl showrunner Ali Adler mostly watches garbage reality TV in her spare time to relax

Kyoufu

I really enjoyed this episode, for the most part. The scene where Zoom kills those cops. Golfham. Dude is sinister as fuck.

So what's up with the Garrick name? Who do we think the masked man is now? Is Jay Garrick actually Barry's relative?

Just saddens me in this day and age that even after The Flash S1 and an S2 most people love, ONE thing sours them on the show. Are we really that lapsed in faith that we go from 'yay' to 'fuck this show' after one twist? One twist which occurs with seven episodes of the season left?

I mean shit, Arrow S2 had Deathstroke blubbering about a woman he barely knew and people powered through it.

I'm not. Honestly with me did I like that part? No but I didn't let it ruin the show for me. I mean that was a good episode in itself just like(Arrow Spoilers)
Laurel's death. I didn't like that it was her that died but the episode was still good to me and I even respect their decision to kill of a comic cannon character.

Magwik

Banned
I really enjoyed this episode, for the most part. The scene where Zoom kills those cops. Golfham. Dude is sinister as fuck.

So what's up with the Garrick name? Who do we think the masked man is now? Is Jay Garrick actually Barry's relative?
Jay Garrick is going to be played by john wesley shipp. they wouldn't stop the maiden name thing for no reason

ZeroX03

Banned
Jay Garrick is going to be played by john wesley shipp. they wouldn't stop the maiden name thing for no reason

Yeah if this season so far is any indication, if they drop a super obvious hint it's played straight. I honestly thought the original Hunter Zolomon name drop was too on the nose to indicate Jay = Zoom, but they're not really doing misdirects.

JWS as Jay, I should dig up the posts from when the helmet was originally revealed in S1.

Kyoufu

To be fair Barrys father of E2 was never seen or referred to as Henry
JWS and Teddy Sears never shared scenes together
The 90s Flash was shown in the travel to E2 and is the only thing to not come to fruition

What confuses me is how JWS would be the real Jay Garrick on Earth-2 if Hunter Zolomon paraded around as him for so long. Nobody said anything? :|

And I figured 90s Flash would remain consistent with its own universe where JWS was Barry Allen. :|

strafer

JWS as the real Jay? Why? He's fucking perfect for the role.

Because I'm hoping the casting director had more sense than that, in that calling him up and ask to be on the show because they were a fan of the original show, I get that.

They did it with Dean Can and Supergirl, but that doesn't mean I wanna see him suit up again.

Magwik

Banned
Because I'm hoping the casting director had more sense than that, in that calling him up and ask to be on the show because they were a fan of the original show, I get that.

They did it with Dean Can and Supergirl, but that doesn't mean I wanna see him suit up again.
Dean Cain is getting the Cyborg Superman treatment and you know it

Kyoufu

Multiverse
He doesn't have to be from E2

But if he conquered, say, Earth-3 where JWS resided then locked him up then why did he make it sound like he only conquered his own Earth and is now terrorising Earth-1?

What a confusing season tbh.

Also why wouldn't Zoom have just killed him?

This too. Zoom only keeps his victims/foes/pawns alive if he needs them for something.

Magwik

Banned
Who knows

But if he conquered, say, Earth-3 where JWS resided then locked him up then why did he make it sound like he only conquered his own Earth and is now terrorising Earth-1?

What a confusing season tbh.
zoom doesnt have to conquer another Earth for JWS Flash to end up in E2

Why don't we just wait to see how things are played as instead?

Makonero

What confuses me is how JWS would be the real Jay Garrick on Earth-2 if Hunter Zolomon paraded around as him for so long. Nobody said anything? :|

And I figured 90s Flash would remain consistent with its own universe where JWS was Barry Allen. :|

Maybe Jay was a legend, a blur that no one really saw until Zoom showed up, captured him, and then masqueraded as the Flash for his own ego.

ZeroX03

Banned

More sense than what? To cast the original Flash to play the original Flash?

Jay Garrick is an old man in a lot of his incarnations too. JWS' age actually makes sense. He's a retired speedster.

wKnx4On.jpg

Maybe he's keeping Jay as like a speed force energy bar. Not enough to keep him alive, but enough for a nice snack every now and then.

Or he's just making him suffer. Zoom is nuts, we've established he's not a logical guy.

ZeroX03

Banned
But didn't we already establish from like birthmarks or something that it was Teddy Sears in the mask?

Yes, but he looked very black in other photos and they never put Teddy Sears in the Zoom costume until the actual reveal. TVLine seemed to imply it was intentionally confusing. Good chance whoever is in the mask right now is a decoy/stunt person. Teddy also said he wasn't actually aware of who specifically was in the mask until shooting.

I would be fine if JWS was Jay Garrick but just not in the mask too.

Slayven

I think they did but I'm not quite sure. Slayven or shoreu would have to chime in here.

I recall they did when I was wondering if Superman knows any martial arts and he does learn martial arts from different people. He also knows Kryptonian Martial Arts.

Problem with most speedsters is their nice guys, most speedsters

1982876-quicksilvervsmrx2.jpg

1982882-quicksilvervsmrx4.jpg

I think they might do one last episode of Barry not being in Human form. They could potentially have Barry appear out of nowhere and drag Zoom into the speed force where they have a speed battle or a race. Barry, (speculating) being the speed force generator, can go for as long as he can and Zoom can't. They go so fast that Zoom, who doesn't quite know how to control his speed force abilities, is absorbed into the speed force for a very long time.

That or they go the Wally route and have Barry rob Zoom of all his speed and freeze him as a statue that has to watch everything pass by him normally. He is forever frozen but alive.

Damn that shit reminded me of what Mayuri did to Arrancar in Bleach. That shit is scary as fuck.

ZeroX03

Banned
Problem with most speedsters is their nice guys, most speedsters

Also stuff learned at super speed doesn't usually stick, so they'd have to learn the old fashioned way and most of them aren't patient enough for that. They're always super broken anyway, they need to be weak in some respects.

Apt101

How cool would it be if Barry races uncontrollably into the far future and learns how to control his powers with the help of an old Wally and young Bart Allen. Man that would be amazing.

shoreu

I predict they will show him next episode as some kind of "Speed Ghost" or something.
You know like suddenly an image of him running through the hallway or something.

Btw, one thing I never get is why people like Barry and co won't get any self defense/martial arts training.
Like,you are the Flash. You regularly have to fight people to the death, yet you can't even throw a proper punch without needing a pep talk.
You can't tell me he doesn't have time to train. He can literally train at super speed.

In most cases every hero gets a course in combat training from batman, death stroke, lady shiva, or canary. In Barry allens case future flash got trained by the first 3 and began to add tech to his suit. He was a force to be reckoned with.

However, flash is the type of hero who spends time saving 400 people in half a second than just straight up fighting. When comic flash gets his hands on you their is no fight unless your a speedster.

Cw flash is not really a good representations as he's way to slow to act at times and makes poor decisions consistantly. If the real flash did this millions would die every time one of his major villains came.

ZeroX03

Banned
So who are we fan casting as Jay Garrick?

I would've said John Wesley Shipp if he wasn't already Barry's dad. Even though he's a bit young I think he's really got the look and feel.

They have to have John Wesley Shipp play him.

Oh holy shit

guys

you guys

I have it

Alternate Earth Jay Garrick is going to be played by John Wesley Shipps

They should go for the real Jay Garrick, John Wesley Shipps. So basically the second universe would be the one of the first show as a joke.

Team good taste. Not a surprise Joni is on there. Not a surprise that TheOddOne isn't.
jasonsudekis.gif

How cool would it be if Barry races uncontrollably into the far future and learns how to control his powers with the help of an old Wally and young Bart Allen. Man that would be amazing.

That would mean that Wally has defeated Zoom, because if he's good enough to train Barry and got old, he could defeat Zoom, too. However, I could see Oliver train Barry. Zoom is faster, but probably doesn't know the moves Oliver knows.

Klyka

Banned
That would mean that Wally has defeated Zoom, because if he's good enough to train Barry and got old, he could defeat Zoom, too. However, I could see Oliver train Barry. Zoom is faster, but probably doesn't know the moves Oliver knows.

Well, the problem is, you call Oliver when you need someone to give you tips from the point of view of a killer but Zoom is even more of a psychopath than Ollie.

Goddamn at those last couple minutes, like they telegraphed that Wally and Jesse were going to get particle accelerated/Radioactive'd and I thought maybe this would fuck up on Barry's end but goddamn I wasn't expecting them to pull the Trajectory thing on him, like I knew he isn't dead and he basically merged with the Speedforce and everything, it still didn't stop the shock of seeing that shit. Then Zoom being pissed and then rubbing that shit in their faces and before then going in and finally doing something again to show why he's a monster with taking out a bunch of the fodder cops.

Dropping that Henry's mother's maiden name is Garrick, convenient... Is that another point to him being in the mask either Henry has a brother or Henry on another Earth was actually named Jay and their mother kept her name? Maybe (E2 or otherwise) Henry's grandfather? I kind of hope they don't make Shipp Jay and just keep him being the Barry Allen of the 90s Flash which can be explained away easily enough as odd as it might be. Not as if there isn't already another Barry anyway in live action with the movie side. Weird Barry didn't know that though.

Anyway, big improvement over the last few episodes IMO.

As for the preview and iZombie finale spoiler LOL
at Girder coming back as an apparent zombie just after the actor finished a stint on iZombie where he died after being turned into a zombie

Bolstered by last week's episode, it looks like the reviewer at AV Club feels like he can get away with giving this episode a
C, too.

Yeah, not a fan of the AV Club's reviewer just like the one who reviews Gotham who doesn't seem to "get" that show but rating this episode lower than the last episodes? Really?

Mario007

Well, the problem is, you call Oliver when you need someone to give you tips from the point of view of a killer but Zoom is even more of a psychopath than Ollie.
To be fair Ollie is 2 for 0 in beating speedsters so I would say he he's more suited to beat zoom than barry at this point.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick is too perfect, like fuck, god-tier level casting.

Hopefully they go through with it. The guy in the mask has to be someone that's related to Barry, or at least, looks like someone that has deep ties to Barry. Otherwise why put a mask on him?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Too bad Shipp didn't say that Garrick was Nora's maiden name then we could get Barry in old man makeup.

Would have been a bigger stretch that Barry didn't know his Mother's maiden name, though. Not knowing Grandmother's is common enough to get a pass.

Kyoufu

You know what I don't get? Caitlin keeps calling Hunter "Jay" instead of... you know, Hunter. He doesn't even say anything about it. In fact, in this episode he said his name is Zoom. What about Hunter, man?

Wag

Henry's mother's maiden name is Garrick. So is the Earth-2 version of The Flash, Henry the real Jay Garrick, and the man in the mask?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know what I don't get? Caitlin keeps calling Hunter "Jay" instead of... you know, Hunter. He doesn't even say anything about it. In fact, in this episode he said his name is Zoom. What about Hunter, man?

I want a venn diagram of people in this thread who complained about the group not separating Eobard and Wells and who are now complaining about Jay/Hunter.

Effect

Henry's mother's maiden name is Garrick. So is the Earth-2 version of Henry the real Jay Garrick, and the man in the mask?

No. If the man in the mask is Jay Garrick then they're likely related. Remember Barry was able to speak to his mother when he traveled to Earth 2 and the impression made was that his dad was still alive and with Barry's mom. Chances are if they're related then any Garrick would be a distant cousin to Barry or could be an aunt/uncle to Henry if they're older or cousins as well. It couldn't be Earth 2 Henry though. The other closest relation to him would be a brother if Earth 2 Henry's mother had kid before she was married or after a divorce and took back her maiden name to explain why the Allen name is used on Earth 2.

Magwik

Banned
Thats who he was for months in her eyes
Shes also appealing to the person she thought she knew, not the monster thats Hunter
No. If the man in the mask is Jay Garrick then they're likely related. Remember Barry was able to speak to his mother when he traveled to Earth 2 and the impression made was that his dad was still alive and with Barry's mom. Chances are if they're related then any Garrick would be a distant cousin to Barry or could be an aunt/uncle to Henry if they're older or cousins as well. It couldn't be Earth 2 Henry though. The other closest relation to him would be a brother if Earth 2 Henry's mother had kid before she was married or after a divorce and took back her maiden name to explain why the Allen name is used on Earth 2.
Did we ever see JWS as E2 Henry?

Kyoufu

Thats who he was for months in her eyes
Shes also appealing to the person she thought she knew, not the monster thats Hunter

That part makes sense, I guess.

She should call him Hunter so she can pretend that she wants him for who he is and not who he pretends to be. Appeal to the monster and then stab him in the back with a large icicle, Caitlin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom