• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gives you that impression?

Watching the movie and seeing the rumors/director fallout afterwards. It's clear there's a big shake-up going on. Probably will benefit the TV division, IMO. Just my opinion, doesn't mean dust in the end.

Nobody thought the show was done, welcome to Classic GAF hyperbole. Just like all those people who dropped Arrow.

I love Arrow. Despite the whole Felicity thing going on, I just ignore it. I love it despite it all. Not to say I hate Felicity at all, I just like Arrow that much. Maybe I'm a fool (probably).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Random thoughts about the Garrick. So, if E-2 Barry's dad is not "Henry Allen" but took his mother's unmarried name of "Garrick", is he Henry Garrick, or perhaps she named him Jay Garrick? Is that what you got from the name drop this episode? But why wouldn't Barry be Barry Garrick then? And when E1 gang were with E2 Barry & Iris, did anybody mention "Jay Garrick" when they still thought he was E2's Flash? I can't remember - but if related, E2 Barry would have said something.

I'm glad my theory remains valid. Jay was Barry all along!

LionPride

Banned
Just watched the episode...god damn that was good. Iris telling Barry how she felt and Barry just not knowing what to do. Man. Zoom snappin necks and then cutting a promo. Dude's been a straight up savage all season long. Henry's gonna murder Harry.

ZeroX03

Banned
From the way you've talked it seems this was about the only way you could've been happy with how they handle Garrick. I'm in agreement though and hope they stick the landing.

I don't know about the only way, but with so little time left how else are we supposed to buy a Jay Garrick as a wise mentor, suitable Flash and have him form a relationship with Barry? Selling "Jay Garrick" after the Hunter twist is a tough ask. Caitlin's still even calling Zoom by the name Jay. But an actor with the look who's actually played a Flash and happens to have a familiar relationship with Barry? JWS is the only way to immediately buy into Jay. Or I suppose another Teddy Sears clone with all the mess that entails. And he's already contracted to another show so he can't stick around.

They did manage to do a very good job establishing Harry and Wells as their own characters though, if they did go the Teddy Sears route. But they wouldn't have time to make that distinction this season.

Assuming this is even correct, then how did E-2 Barry get the surname Allen?

Jay Garrick might not even be from Earth-2. Remember there's currently four (I think) universes confirmed.

the-flash-tv.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
haven't watched it yet because my wife is watching some other garbage. someone break it down for me

XGGunoQ.jpg

Zoom snaps the necks of like 20 cops in half a second. Barry disintegrates after a failed experiment by Wells to recreate the particle accelerator explosion. Zoom rubs it in everyone's face. Wally and Jessie get caught in the new particle accelerator's flash wave and get KO'ed.

KevinCow

Banned
Did you miss the episode 18?

It's in the first few minutes of episode 18.

What happened in episode 18? Was that when he disappeared for a second while running? Because it wouldn't make sense for it to happen there, right? He was gone for like a day or two in Supergirl, and alternate dimensions as they've appeared so far don't seem to change the way time flows. Plus wouldn't Barry have said something when they were talking about how there's no way back to Earth 2? Like, "Actually guys, I ran so fast that I jumped into another dimension, so maybe we could figure out how to harness that?"

Xemnas89

I don't know about the only way, but with so little time left how else are we supposed to buy a Jay Garrick as a wise mentor, suitable Flash and have him form a relationship with Barry? Selling "Jay Garrick" after the Hunter twist is a tough ask. Caitlin's still even calling Zoom by the name Jay. But an actor with the look who's actually played a Flash and happens to have a familiar relationship with Barry? JWS is the only way to immediately buy into Jay. Or I suppose another Teddy Sears clone with all the mess that entails. And he's already contracted to another show so he can't stick around.

They did manage to do a very good job establishing Harry and Wells as their own characters though, if they did go the Teddy Sears route. But they wouldn't have time to make that distinction this season.

Jay Garrick might not even be from Earth-2. Remember there's currently four (I think) universes confirmed.

the-flash-tv.jpg

Yep Shipp is the best way to deal with it with so little time left.

The real question is could you buy E-1 Hunter as traditional Zoom in a much later season?

#2.21 "The Runaway Dinosaur" Extended Promo

Yes it's the Kev Smith episode. Yes you should spoiler tag discussion. Yes
Girder is apparently a zombie.

The runaway dinosaur is a very interesting name.

ZeroX03

Banned
The real question is could you buy E-1 Hunter as traditional Zoom in a much later season?

Yes. But I could also buy a completely new character as the "traditional" Zoom, this Hunter has barely anything in common with his comics counterpart. Including his powers.

carlsojo

Also searching "Zoom kills police" gets some pretty disturbing results on google video search and definitely not the clip I wanted.

Magwik

Banned
The best shot of the episode was Zoom watching the lightning hit Star Labs. For a brief second he was scared of Barry.

Loved the episode. Was hoping for a Flashpoint-level fuckup but going full Dr Manhattan was amazing.

Also did a good job at making Zoom super menacing again. Though would have hoped we got more shock and terror reactions from Joe and Barry at witnessing all of their colleagues getting murdered around them.

The best shot of the episode was Zoom watching the lightning hit Star Labs. For a brief second he was scared of Barry.

Yea that was pretty great. For how powerful and scary Zoom is, for a brief second, he was legit scared of Barry coming back and whooping dat ass.

Also when Zoom kills those unnamed policemen I thought he was charging up a shockwave or something lol. Instead we get Zoom one-shotting those unnamed policemen.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I know, there's going to be some retconning if they want to introduce The Flash (1990) as canon and the Jay Garrick we know. Or maybe it'll just be an inspiration.

Still it looks like we're getting the Jay Garrick we deserve. Can you imagine John Wesley Shipp with that theme song playing and that helmet?

flash-jay-garrick-15-1444825099.gif

The clear hints over where this is going make everything 'OH MY GOD JAY GARRICK' bit of whining even more hilariously salty. And yes, that includes Mark Waid's. How absolutely embarrassing for everyone who pulled that shit.

ZeroX03

Banned
The clear hints over where this is going make everything 'OH MY GOD JAY GARRICK' bit of whining even more hilariously salty. And yes, that includes Mark Waid's. How absolutely embarrassing for everyone who pulled that shit.

It's not embarrassing until they stick the landing. They didn't do this well.

Not really. Hiding a character and lying to the audience for an entire season and using imagery from Flash of Two Worlds represented by a psychopath masquerading as an beloved character only to pull a gotcha at the end of the season is stupid as fuck.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's not embarrassing until they stick the landing. They didn't do this well.

Just saddens me in this day and age that even after The Flash S1 and an S2 most people love, ONE thing sours them on the show. Are we really that lapsed in faith that we go from 'yay' to 'fuck this show' after one twist? One twist which occurs with seven episodes of the season left?

I mean shit, Arrow S2 had Deathstroke blubbering about a woman he barely knew and people powered through it.

Just saddens me in this day and age that even after The Flash S1 and an S2 most people love, ONE thing sours them on the show. Are we really that lapsed in faith that we go from 'yay' to 'fuck this show' after one twist? One twist which occurs with seven episodes of the season left?

I mean shit, Arrow S2 had Deathstroke blubbering about a woman he barely knew and people powered through it.
When that one twist revolves around bastardizing a golden age hero, yes.

Xemnas89

When that one twist revolves around bastardizing a golden age hero, yes.

As long as things work out with the real Jay Garrick it'll be all good. Then again I don't really have an attachment to these characters or their comic book history so it's not really my place to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom