• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xemnas89

Wish they could do a big event and give the flash a big two hour season finale next weeks simply because I don't want to wait two weeks to see the finale.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Joe was on fire this episode. I also liked how much they gave Iris to do. More of this.

Zombie Girder was pretty silly. I think I would have preferred they just run into a new metahuman. I do love that they were able to fit an iZombie joke in there though. Haha

It's interesting that Barry brushed off the advice the speedforce gave him at his mother's grave. I wonder if they want to play around in the Flashpoint sandbox some more.

The Barry scenes were a bit repetitive. Barry seeing a familiar face, saying their name, then "You're not really ____" followed by cryptic advice.

I had to laugh at "Maybe...it's hard to explain...it's The Speedforce." That's Season 3 OT material right there.

It was an okay episode. I'm ready for the finale though. Oh, but that stinger at the end was just terrible. They spent like $15 to put some goofy costumes on extras. Why does Zoom even need to bring these people over? Who is a challenge to him?

aly

So glad to be finally caught up with show. Pretty good episode. But I really can't take the Barry/Iris stuff. Every time Barry brings up Joe as his dad I feel grossed out. Speaking of Joe, he is the best dad.

Honest question from a non-comic reader: If there's a Speedforce is there also a Strengthforce and a Mindforce, etc. If not why does speed get to be represented as an entity?

ZeroX03

Banned
Honest question from a non-comic reader: If there's a Speedforce is there also a Strengthforce and a Mindforce, etc. If not why does speed get to be represented as an entity?

Speedsters are more or less the most broken of the broken superheroes and need something to explain all their ridiculous elements away. Other heroes don't need that, although there's plenty of nonsense things explaining most.

So, back in the day when most of these heroes were created, most creators didn't really worry about the science of it. Fast forward to the late 80s/early 90s and we had a better general understanding of science, so creators turned it towards the heroes they loved.

The problem is super-speed is a broken power. The human body isn't meant to go at those speeds from a physical perspective. The act of running above a certain speed would tear a body apart due to things like drag and friction. Fix that, and any small object thrown in their path should shred them instantly. Picking up someone at super-speed would be an instant death sentence for that person. At certain speeds, every step would actually push you upwards, not forward. A super speedster would also burn calories at a crazy rate. What about the perception of time while running at super-speed?

Superman? You have wave his stuff away by saying he's an alien with a different physiology. Same with Aquaman. Batman's just a really trained dude.

So when it came to the Flash, they created the Speedforce. The field powers the Flash and others like him, so you don't have to worry about things like calories. It also protects him from things like friction, drag, and other perception effects from being able to that fast. It also protects objects touched by the Flash, so picking up a person or object while running doesn't immediately destroy it. The Speedforce is a catch-all because otherwise, the Flash makes no sense.

There are other fields in the DC universe, but they're not directly related to an attribute like the Speedforce.

Kard8p3

Isn't the calorie issue still a thing(at least when used as a joke anyway)? Wasn't there a joke about Barry eating like 40 tacos or something? And how it's impossible for him to get drunk

Xemnas89

Isn't the calorie issue still a thing(at least when used as a joke anyway)? Wasn't there a joke about Barry eating like 40 tacos or something? And how it's impossible for him to get drunk

Yeah it was established in the second episode of the first season. Every once in a while they show him eating alot but it's not something they really need to talk about often. I think on the supergirl crossover barry said he needs about ten thousand calories a day.

Joni

Just remembered that 'Jay' should be in this episode, both in a speaking and a non-speaking role. The metahuman role was at the end there, but where was his normal role?

I bet Kevin Smith cried a fuckton while directing this episode.

At least it was for a tear-worthy episode this time.

Xemnas89

Just remembered that 'Jay' should be in this episode, both in a speaking and a non-speaking role. The metahuman role was at the end there, but where was his normal role?

At least it was for a tear-worthy episode this time.

He was the guy bashing the central city big belly burger.

So, back in the day when most of these heroes were created, most creators didn't really worry about the science of it. Fast forward to the late 80s/early 90s and we had a better general understanding of science, so creators turned it towards the heroes they loved.

The problem is super-speed is a broken power. The human body isn't meant to go at those speeds from a physical perspective. The act of running above a certain speed would tear a body apart due to things like drag and friction. Fix that, and any small object thrown in their path should shred them instantly. Picking up someone at super-speed would be an instant death sentence for that person. At certain speeds, every step would actually push you upwards, not forward. A super speedster would also burn calories at a crazy rate. What about the perception of time while running at super-speed?

Superman? You have wave his stuff away by saying he's an alien with a different physiology. Same with Aquaman. Batman's just a really trained dude.

So when it came to the Flash, they created the Speedforce. The field powers the Flash and others like him, so you don't have to worry about things like calories. It also protects him from things like friction, drag, and other perception effects from being able to that fast. It also protects objects touched by the Flash, so picking up a person or object while running doesn't immediately destroy it. The Speedforce is a catch-all because otherwise, the Flash makes no sense.

There are other fields in the DC universe, but they're not directly related to an attribute like the Speedforce.

Thanks for this!

PreFire

Thought it was a great episode. Made me cry, laugh and kind of cringe at the way Iris acted this episode.

This was way out of her personality, at least from what we've seen. I like this Iris, but she was very different from what we usually see.

Also, hopefully Barry is new and super improved.

Dereck

cPNhMOs.gif

JXrQXLe.gif

G17BXuZ.gif

Sober

Iris is the best now
You mean to tell me they actually gave one of their actresses something to do other than mewling around in the background and contributed to something worthwhile?

If only they could keep this up during the rest of the season and not just during sweeps.

that was a nice episode. proves that gustin is far and away the best male lead on CW. i love melodrama, it can be cheesy but it gets me sometimes.

really needed more jason mewes though. "yeah that's my car" was hilarious, totally delivered like jay. and the speedforce shit was lame as hell but it gave us those scenes with his mom so it's all good i guess.

Joni

Sorry, but I can't suspend disbelief enough to buy a dinosaur book from the early 90's using Apatosaurus instead of Brontosaurus. Come on.

The Hellbings might have been ahead of their time. Also funny, but science moves on. The Brontosaurus is an actual separate species again, although in the Apatosaurus family.

oti

Banned
I give this episode COMIIIIIIIIIC/10

- He's in the speed force! (as if that would make any sense whatsoever)
- Then bring him back! (k chill bruh, don't you have like any questions, like, why this is happening or something? No?)

- ZOMBIIIIEEEEEE because why not

- "Run Barry, Run" catchphrase YOU GOTTA HEVE DOSE

- Power Rangers-esque ending, where's Rita?

- No Zoom until the very end a huge plus for me though

Xemnas89

So on the new fatman on batman they mention that Zack Stentz is working on a new show with Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kriesberg but they can't talk about it yet. Whatever it is Kevin and Marc seemed hyped for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom