• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Awesome. The '04 cars were insane!

Just out of curiosities sake, Kimi ran a 1:18:233 in that video. Anyone know what the fastest lap was there this year? I know it rained in qualifying so it had to have been turned towards the end of the race.

Kimi had the fastest lap of the race at 1:34.661

Then again, the track had some changes, but nonetheless, the modern cars are definitely slower :/

Dave_6

Ah, I forgot about the track being changed. DRS and Kers about the only changes between '09 and now? (Well major changes anyways)

mblitek

Heikki is the latest name to be linked with the Ferrari seat according to rumours.

Yes! Go Heikki, he really deserves it after pushing Caterham so far.

Also some of you may have seen my post in the off-topic section but here is what I do on a weekly basis so that I can hopefully start driving again one day! Just to add some context here is what I wrote on my Facebook page:

BAM! My modeling career has just begun. I'm Brad Copping and I'm a Betabrand Model Citizen. This video and project between myself, Brennan Grange and Robert Murdoch at Betabrand (betabrand.com) has evolved from being a story about my history to one of hope. I had no part in the creative behind the video as I thought it would be more original if my "story" was told without any rehearsal or planning. All my words are off the cuff with nothing written.

As the filming and editing progressed, Robbie started to realize that there was a larger story to be told than that of a short 2 to 3 minute clip. We started to realize that there is potential for a longer video and a bigger campaign. Eventually that campaign plans to evolve into raising enough funds via Kickstarter to buy a children's Pediatric Lokomat.

That said, this video ultimately became a piece about my own silent mantra that has gotten me through the good times and the bad. I never realized that the babble of words coming out of my mouth could ever be construed into such a powerful message.

So thank you Robbie and Brennan for putting up with my shenanigans as seen in the video and here's to the future and next video! In the meantime, enjoy and hopefully my babbling can affect your day and outlook on life.

http://youtu.be/L8CnMjujJCY

Brad

Since we are a tight knit group in this F1 thread I thought I would share a little bit about me with you guys as I have briefly mentioned that I have spinal cord injury from an automotive accident. Hopefully you guys can enjoy it!

Shaneus

Yeah, but I like seeing him in the Caterham! I hope whoever Petrov's new buddy is will be as well suited for the team as Heikki was.

Also some of you may have seen my post in the off-topic section but here is what I do on a weekly basis so that I can hopefully start driving again one day! Just to add some context here is what I wrote on my Facebook page:

Since we are a tight knit group in this F1 thread I thought I would share a little bit about me with you guys as I have briefly mentioned that I have spinal cord injury from an automotive accident. Hopefully you guys can enjoy it!

Will definitely check that out tonight (when I have access to YT) :)

AcridMeat

Banned
I feel like I use words like amazing too often, but that video was mblitek. Hopefully it gets attention and the therapy goes well.

Heikki is still fairly young isn't he? Could be a decent fit for Ferrari I guess but I feel like he's pretty happy with Caterham.

Shaneus

And what do you hope he'd achieve there?

"[Caterham] is the most disappointing team this season" - Eddie Jordan
Don't care. I just want Petrov to have a friend :( But personally, I think he kind of likes being in a team that can only move upward in multiple facets of it's existence. Ferrari can really only go on to a WDC or WCC, but he has an opportunity at Caterham to actively contribute to it moving forward, regardless of chances for points.

Man, after seeing what you've managed to contribute in this thread, greaseandgears.com and now knowing a little more about your situation, I'm even happier about Red Bull's Wings for Life partnership and the publicity leading up to Silverstone.

Keep plugging away at it, man... the world's your oyster. Best of luck :)

Dilly

Banned

Truly inspiring world view.

Can I ask what kind of automotive accident? Offcourse, you don't have to answer this.

Don't care. I just want Petrov to have a friend :( But personally, I think he kind of likes being in a team that can only move upward in multiple facets of it's existence. Ferrari can really only go on to a WDC or WCC, but he has an opportunity at Caterham to actively contribute to it moving forward, regardless of chances for points.

Lets be honest, no driver is in a team like that, because they want to, but because they can't find anything better. Narain Karthikeyan started his F1 career at Jordan in 2005. Do you think he's driving for HRT now, because he wants to push and help the team? Heikki knows how it's like to drive for a top team and he wants to go back at that level.

Shaneus

Lets be honest, no driver is in a team like that, because they want to, but because they can't find anything better. Narain Karthikeyan started his F1 career at Jordan in 2005. Do you think he's driving for HRT now, because he wants to push and help the team? Heikki knows how it's like to drive for a top team and he wants to go back at that level.
Oh, of course... but there's a world of difference between driving in a team that has potential and one that doesn't. I'm not discussing what I think Heikki thinks would be a good move, I'm just explaining why I think Heikki wouldn't mind staying where he is.

Oh, of course... but there's a world of difference between driving in a team that has potential and one that doesn't. I'm not discussing what I think Heikki thinks would be a good move, I'm just explaining why I think Heikki wouldn't mind staying where he is.

But he does mind staying there and he wants to get out of there. They promised him a car that could compete and they couldn't deliver, so he wants to bail out ASAP.

“My personal target is still to return to the top as soon as possible,” said Kovalainen. “Who knows where or when, but certainly next year I don’t want to be racing in this position again. I want to be in the pack at least, to show what I can do and also to prove to myself what I think I could do.

“At the moment I don’t know (if Caterham can provide that). It’s too early to say. We have to wait and see how we improve and where we are heading, and then at some point see what is available.

“The most important thing now is to keep the focus and momentum that we’ve gained and personally, to keep performing at a good level. That should put me in a good position whatever the situation at the end.

“I am quite happy here. I want to be fighting for better positions…but there are a lot of things that we have build here that are not necessarily worth throwing away immediately. It’s not easy to build these kind of things with any team straight away.

“On the other hand, I’m not a kid any more. I’m in the prime in my career. But I’ve really enjoyed it here; I’ve got on well with the team and they are making the right moves.”

Leunam

Very inspiring. Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing. Your contributions to this thread don't go unnoticed and are always welcome.

Cool, you look very happy at points in there. :)

Also, lets face it, that's a fucking top notch F1 space age awesome bit of tech (Lokomat). Nice!

moojito

Is there a single twitter... person/channel/whatever you can follow to get all of the relevant stuff from drivers and teams, or do you have to add them all individually?

I've been fiddling about with the twitter part of flipboard on my phone, never really bothered with twitter before!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

You're an inspiring fellow my friend, I hope the very best for you in your future endeavors.

AcridMeat

Banned
Don't care. I just want Petrov to have a friend :(
He's got a friend,
EQvGF.jpg

:D

AcridMeat

Banned
I had a dream I made friends with Kimi Raikkonen. We were going to go for a night of drinking at the Austin GP. I only just remembered this an hour after getting up, now I'm depressed.

Ark

I had a dream I made friends with Kimi Raikkonen. We were going to go for a night of drinking at the Austin GP. I only just remembered this an hour after getting up, now I'm depressed.

It actually happened, you two just got so drunk neither of you remember it.

mblitek

[...]

Man, after seeing what you've managed to contribute in this thread, greaseandgears.com and now knowing a little more about your situation, I'm even happier about Red Bull's Wings for Life partnership and the publicity leading up to Silverstone.

Keep plugging away at it, man... the world's your oyster. Best of luck :)

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! As for wings for life, I really think it's a great initiative considering how few charities there are for spinal cord research and rehabilitation.

Truly inspiring world view.

Can I ask what kind of automotive accident? Offcourse, you don't have to answer this.

I'm glad the video had that impact on you. As for what kind of automotive accident, it was a total freak of nature accident. I suppose in part two of the video when we try to raise funds to purchase a children's/pediatric Lokomat I will briefly talk about it. But to answer your question, I was driving down the road one night and it was fairly windy but nothing serious and as I was rounding a bend a dead tree broke off and fell on top of the car crushing a few vertebrae and leaving me with a spinal cord injury. It was the night before I was supposed to move in to University.

Thanks for sharing.

I was hoping I would get a good response rather than people flaming me for going off-topic!

Very inspiring. Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing. Your contributions to this thread don't go unnoticed and are always welcome.

Once again all the thanks mean a lot to me so thank you for the kind words.

Cool, you look very happy at points in there. :)

Also, lets face it, that's a fucking top notch F1 space age awesome bit of tech (Lokomat). Nice!

Yes, you're definitely right I am always happy and motivated whenever I am at physiotherapy! It's just such a great feeling to be able to work out.

Since we had to cut a lot of footage you never got to see some of the other high-tech space-age equipment. In part two you will see some of the other stuff that I get to use! Unfortunately, this type of equipment is rarely accessible anywhere in North America. Hence my interest in raising money to buy a pediatric Lokomat.

Edmond Dantès;40832627 said:
You're an inspiring fellow my friend, I hope the very best for you in your future endeavors.

All these words keep on inspiring me to keep pushing so I always appreciate it.

MJ's alt account? :p

I too was trying to think of something creative but it's great to have MJ back!

Shaneus

Holy shit, mblitek... truly the worst of luck there, but probably for the best in that there's no-one directly to blame for you to harbour any animosity/blame towards. I'd imagine it'd make focusing on improvement that much easier, too :)

He's got a friend,
EQvGF.jpg

:D
What/when the heck is *that* from?

Edit: Nevermind, GP2. Had no idea they were teammates. If Perez moves on, I'd have no problem seeing Petrov in the Sauber. Providing there's not too much problem with Russian Helicopter and Caterham (sponsorship etc.).

mblitek

Inspiring.

Hope all goes well man! :)

Thanks man, I hope all goes well too :)

Holy shit, mblitek... truly the worst of luck there, but probably for the best in that there's no-one directly to blame for you to harbour any animosity/blame towards. I'd imagine it'd make focusing on improvement that much easier, too :)
[...]

Since my name is on the video feel free just to call me Brad! mblitek actually stems from my medical consultant "company" Mobilitech. I try to help people with neurological injuries, disorders, etc. reintegrate into the community by means of technology.

As for harboring any animosity or blame towards a person or subject? You are definitely right about that, I guess some people might be a lot angrier if it was from a drunk driver which is absolutely disgraceful in my opinion. That said, the way the accident happened it was actually the townships and car manufacturers fault as that dead tree should never been so close to the road and the airbags in the car never went off either… You cannot fight the city or the car manufacturer without going bankrupt unfortunately.

At the end of the day it's not going to change anything and what's done is done and luckily I was wearing my seatbelt so the car insurance company eventually settled with me after 4 or 5 years and them wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars that should have gone towards my rehab.

So like many people my only gripe is the greedy insurance companies!

Anyways, it looks like $40 million also gets you a visit from Frank Williams himself who is certainly been an inspiring character to myself!

WILLIAMS F1 HEAD TO VENEZUELA FOR A SERIES OF EXCITING EVENTS

10 August 2012. Grove, UK. Williams F1 are delighted to announce that the team and race driver Pastor Maldonado are in Venezuela this week to meet our dedicated fans and partners.

Williams F1 enjoys tremendous support in Venezuela, not least because of Pastor Maldonado whose win at the Spanish Grand Prix this season has seen him become a national icon in his home country. Pastor will be joined by Team Principal Sir Frank Williams for a series of exciting events in the country’s capital, Caracus, including Pastor driving his Formula One car around the capital city’s most renowned national monument, Los Proceres.

Speaking about the trip Pastor commented, ‘’I’m a proud Venezuelan and I can’t wait to return home on the back of my win earlier this season at the Spanish Grand Prix. I’ve always received lots of support from my fellow countrymen and this trip is an opportunity to give something back to those in Venezuela who have helped me get to where I am today.’’

Williams F1 Team Principal Sir Frank Williams said, ‘’Venezuela is a beautiful country and I’m really looking forward to visiting Caracus with Pastor and the team. We receive fantastic support there and with the various events planned this is our chance to bring the excitement of Formula One closer to the fans and thank those who continue to support us.’’

Why is the piss filter back? Holy shit they never learn. Advertising the rewind feature that's been in every game, fuel mixes that was in the last game? They haven't done anything besides hire Anthony Davidson according to that video.
They hired Davidson in 2009 or 2010 for the first game.

Shaneus

I offered my opinion on it on Fastest Sector... I just can't believe that after so obviously pissing so many people off with 2011 (just look at Codies' forums) they're being so comparatively complacent this year with the release. The fact that we'd seen more of F1 Online and F1 Superstars two months out from release than we have of F1 2012 says a LOT.

Anyway, rant over.

Shaneus

Was that a rant Shaneus? Maybe you need a few more Fosters and expired Vegemite. I want that Aus passion.
Copied from some other forum, because I'm too lazy to type it again:
Shaneus said:
Foliorum Viridum said:
Might've just been the lighting. Some bits looked a little yellow, but it was Abu Dhabi so maybe that's why. Twilight n all.

It just feels so lazy this year. The videos all talk about their passion etc but I'm not feeling it. Feels like CM have swept it under the rug this year and there's been no proper hype train, no real meaty additons. The young driver/champion challenges/hot lap features feel like things to add to the box as new rather than meaningful inclusions. For a game that thrives on the online portion there's still absolutely no detail on increased racers online, better lobbies, how Steamworks will integrate, etc etc.

Even if you don't put details like that in your big PR video, why not release the info? It's a month away and there's a whole lot of great driving games out this year. We're certain buys, but other people? Most Wanted, Forza Horizon, etc etc are all fighting for their attention and doing a better job.
I'm with you on this. We've heard basically nothing with two months to go, yet we've seen far more of Superstars, by all accounts a game meant to cater to everyone *but* F1 fans. There are no notable graphical improvements to speak of, a handful of new modes which don't really cater to anyone who just wants to get out and race and one of the features they talk about in their developer diary is Flashbacks... a feature that's been in every Codies game since Grid?!?

Yeah, I'm not exactly enamoured with the approach they're taking leading up to the release of it. As someone who was very much on the fence to start with on the game, they're not exactly doing a lot to win me over.

But hey, at least we have Superstars and F1 Online, right? Who cares about the "sim" aspect of the license?
Ugh.

dubc35

They have the license. What reward do they get for making the game better? It's the same thing with EA and Madden. revenue - expenses = profit. If they think they can keep revenue about the same but significantly reduce expenses they increase profit. Simple math (to someone who is not the end user).

Shaneus

They have the license. What reward do they get for making the game better? It's the same thing with EA and Madden. revenue - expenses = profit. If they think they can keep revenue about the same but significantly reduce expenses they increase profit. Simple math (to someone who is not the end user).
Return customers?

Lucius86

Banned

Lets give the game a chance - it could actually not be broken on release day, the subtle changes they make could make the game even more entertaining.... but yeah, it is quite worrying there is very little 'new' in the game this season.

I was hoping for a much better damage model - being able to give each other punctures, less bouncing off walls etc..

Top Bottom