• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Risgroo

I hate all these rules. Imagine if we got to test all season long and we had no bans on tech making the cars faster.

I hate the fact that FIA is trying to limit the pinicale of motorsport. Just let them race with the fastest cars they can design.

Sadly, costs need to be lowered. I'd love for the cars to reach 2004 levels again, but it won't happen as long as the economy is this bad. And there's the environmental concerns regarding the big teams driving a billion laps a day.

Ark

I hate all these rules. Imagine if we got to test all season long and we had no bans on tech making the cars faster.

I hate the fact that FIA is trying to limit the pinicale of motorsport. Just let them race with the fastest cars they can design.

Costs would spiral way out of control and the grid would shrink to eight cars maximum.

He wouldn't care if it meant a Vettel win every race.
But Vettel wins his races with talent and love for racing alone, a better car has nothing to do with it. The engine in his car is just a dummy to meet the minimum weight. No one else on the grid can do what Vettel does. Even the current HRT would be enough for Vettel to beat the rest. *bows*

Yen

Ah, I'm only fooling around, Omiee, no harm intended.
But I do think if testing was allowed the top 3 teams would spend like mad and end up miles ahead of the field. Many teams would leave including Lotus and Mercedes, neither team being massively rich. It's not 2005 anymore when mid table teams (well, those without wins anyway) like Toyota and Honda could spend hundreds of millions every year.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Odd question.

WHo are the random chicks who stand next to drivers when they get interviewed....I never really noticed them before but for this race it spotted the girls in every interview.

Are they like PR for drivers to stop interviewers from asking shitty questions?
To me they look and behave almost like security.

Maldonado won't go anywhere.

Maldonado a smart driver, says Wolff

Pastor Maldonado is an intelligent driver who can make it to the top in Formula 1. That is the opinion of Toto Wolff, the former German racing driver who is now assisting Sir Frank Williams in his role as Team Principal.

Wolff is set to be Williams’ successor, having taken on the upgraded role of Executive Director at Williams Grand Prix Holdings last month. Although Maldonado has been involved in a handful of on-track incidents since his debut in F1 last year, Wolff is sure that these lurid moments can be tamed.

“Pastor is a smart guy,” Wolff tells German publication Motorsport Total. “I prefer to work with a guy who has extraordinary talent and an extraordinary base speed but who needs to smoothen that out, rather than the other way round.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282293/maldonado-a-smart-driver-says-wolff/

mblitek

Okay I understand the double DRS but no mid season testing!? Bullsh!te, I say! How are newcomers ever going to get a chance?

I think this is a result from the disagreement between the teams on a testing location this year. As some teams tested at Silverstone (I think it was Marussia, Williams and HRT or Caterham) and the other teams tested at Mugello.

Okay I understand the double DRS but no mid season testing!? Bullsh!te, I say! How are newcomers ever going to get a chance?

I think this is a result from the disagreement between the teams on a testing location this year. As some teams tested at Silverstone (I think it was Marussia, Williams and HRT or Caterham) and the other teams tested at Mugello.

The mid-season test at Mugello was for all teams. What you're thinking of is the young drivers test.

moojito

I reckon there should be one single rule for f1: your car (or its driver cell) must be able to survive a crash at your car's top speed, from any angle. Aside from that, design whatever the hell you want, spend however much you want.

That'd be pretty awesome!

paskowitz

Nando's HOME sim rig...

527052_406298409429355_255148487_n.jpg

I wonder what the one at Ferrari is like...

DBT85

That looks more like a weights machine tied into the specific movements required in a car than a simulator.

The proper simulators have huge screens that wrap around to fill the drivers vision. If Fernando has a simulator I can't imagine it would be pressed up against a wall in his gym.

Shaneus

That looks more like a weights machine tied into the specific movements required in a car than a simulator.

The proper simulators have huge screens that wrap around to fill the drivers vision. If Fernando has a simulator I can't imagine it would be pressed up against a wall in his gym.
Yeah, like the ones in all the RBR track previews w/ Webs and Vettel.

Perez is pushing Ferrari for a decision.

“It's been a very busy season so far, but the moment will soon come for me to think about my future,” he told the British media. “If there is an opportunity with them, or another team, then it's time to know. I will have to see what the options are and from that I will decide.

“I think I have done a very good job this season; I have proven I have the speed and the consistency as well…yes, I've been a bit up and down, but many things have to be taken into account and we cannot forget we're still a midfield team.

“I will decide very soon what my future is going to be.”
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282332/perez-time-to-know-about-ferrari/

Yen

Ugh... really? She's completely clueless. Most of the time she stands there like a nodding dog.

Eyecandy and nothing else. It's pathetic.

Yes, she doesn't actually add anything to the coverage at all. The Skypad stuff is pointless, why can't we just hear McNish's voice while watching direct feed of a lap, rather than watch the two of them awkwardly stand in front of the screen?

acm2000

Bernie doesn't care, Sky is paying more for the license rights.

To be fair, there could be some decent funding for HRT next year when they have their all Spanish set up.

oh he will care when advertisers/teams start kicking up a fuss, the figures are only gonna get worse as people give up following the sport (as is happening already)

Dilly

Banned
Bernie doesn't care, Sky is paying more for the license rights.

To be fair, there could be some decent funding for HRT next year when they have their all Spanish set up.

Meh, it takes so much more to progress to the middle field, especially with the basecar they have this year.

Dr. Helmut Marko is probably one of my favorite guys in F1. Such a sympathetic guy.

Ferrari denies having a manually-adjusted ride-height system like Red Bull

Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has not only denied his team ever made changes to its car's set-up by hand - but he has also questioned why his team aroused suspicion because he claimed Ferrari had run an identical design.

Speaking to Auto Motor Und Sport, Marko said: "We have never adjusted anything by hand. I don't know why the others are upset – we know Ferrari has used something like that for a year."

But Ferrari says Marko's claims are incorrect – and that the outfit has never run anything like that.

"This is completely untrue," a team spokesman told AUTOSPORT in reference to Marko's comments.

When asked for a response to Red Bull's suggestions that it broke the rules, the Ferrari spokesman added: "Did they really accuse us of cheating? Are you sure? Anyway, we have all the confidence in the FIA's role to make sure all the regulations are fully respected."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101690

And McLaren might bring their own double DRS to the coming races.

McLaren still evaluating introducing double DRS later this season

Sporting director Sam Michael told AUTOSPORT that McLaren was being mindful about where best to focus its resources – but that double DRS was on the list of developments it could introduce over the remainder of the year.

"It's not like the Lotus one, but we have got a system like that," he explained. "As for the chances of us bringing it, I don't know yet.

"We will look at all the programmes and see if it is feasible, because it requires work and it detracts from normal upgrades as well. So it is quite difficult to make the system work, as Lotus are discovering.

"But like anything in the pit lane, if we see a new idea then the guys jump on it, they analyse it and, if we decide that it will be a benefit to the team, then we will bring it."

F1 teams have agreed to a number of regulation changes for 2013 that will effectively ban teams from pursuing double DRS, which means any work done on it this year will not be carried over for next year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101689

The fact that it's already banned for the next season, doesn't seem to make it feasible to introduce it this late in the season. I think it was Ferrari who said that they rather work on normal upgrades than making such significant changes to the chassis.

Yoritomo

Sadly, costs need to be lowered. I'd love for the cars to reach 2004 levels again, but it won't happen as long as the economy is this bad. And there's the environmental concerns regarding the big teams driving a billion laps a day.

The Fuel usage used in transporting the teams and equipment, not to mention the transportation of the fans to the venue itself dwarfs any amount of running the teams could possibly do. The biggest environmental impact of Formula 1 is the transportation cost.

Top Bottom