• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Chris R

The uphill section looks amazing. The turn at the top should make for some great overtakes, I hope.

Circuit-of-the-Americas-Baustelle-Austin-Texas-GP-USA-2012-19-fotoshowImageNew-f13985c7-618938.jpg

That is where I wanted to sit :( Oh well. Looks like I won't be able to see T11 from my seat either as there is a hill along the back straight.

The logo for the race isn't terrible, but I'm betting the trophy will be :(

mblitek

For the brazilian (or any other portuguese speaker) F1 fans, an AMAZING (and very long) interview with Luciano Burti:

Part 1: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f1/entrevista-burti-gp-da-alemanha-de-2010-acabou-com-massa

Part 2: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f1/entrevis...no-brasil-diziam-que-eu-era-filhinho-de-papai

Really, REALLY worth the read.

If you have Chrome (or whatever browser) download the auto translator Google Translate plug-in. The translation is really good.

Edit: For you Americans!
Oh listen, what a finely tuned racing car. I know, I know... youtu.be/gZIUGreqrCY

For the brazilian (or any other portuguese speaker) F1 fans, an AMAZING (and very long) interview with Luciano Burti:

Part 1: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f1/entrevista-burti-gp-da-alemanha-de-2010-acabou-com-massa

Part 2: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f1/entrevis...no-brasil-diziam-que-eu-era-filhinho-de-papai

Really, REALLY worth the read.

Can you give us a better translation to question #1 about his Spa crash? It seems like a funny answer.

It was one of the scariest crashes I've ever seen. I thought for sure he had been killed.

DD

Can you give us a better translation to question #1 about his Spa crash? It seems like a funny answer.

It was one of the scariest crashes I've ever seen. I thought for sure he had been killed.
The accident at Spa is perhaps the most memorable moment of your F1 carrer and remained in the memory of most people. And you, what do you remember about that?

I remember until the warmup, which was still disputed at the time. About the race, I do not remember anything. I don't remember the start of the race, nor the first lap, nothing. My memory erased everything. Reviewing the accident, I know that I tried toovertake in a place where it was not possible, and the idiot Eddie [Irvine] did not bother to look at his side. We joke up today because of this: he comes and calls me imbecile and I say "you're a blind senile' [laughs]. But we both are to blame.

The accident at Spa is perhaps the most memorable moment of your F1 carrer and remained in the memory of most people. And you, what do you remember about that?

I remember until the warmup, which was still disputed at the time. About the race, I do not remember anything. I don't remember the start of the race, nor the first lap, nothing. My memory erased everything. Reviewing the accident, I know that I tried toovertake in a place where it was not possible, and the idiot Eddie [Irvine] did not bother to look at his side. We joke up today because of this: he comes and calls me imbecile and I say "you're a blind senile' [laughs]. But we both are to blame.

Thank you!

Yeah, tough call on who was at fault. On one hand Eddie wasn't looking and shut the door, on the other hand it's an almost impossible place to make a pass. I'm glad he can laugh about it now.

DD

Thank you!

Yeah, tough call on who was at fault. On one hand Eddie wasn't looking and shut the door, on the other hand it's an almost impossible place to make a pass. I'm glad he can laugh about it now.
You're welcome! If you're interested in any other part of the interview, it will be my pleasure to translate. I'm here mainly to practice my english.

My best lap was a 55.13, a second off my previous best, which I'm not too happy about(the record for rental karts is a 52.99). Still, I had a great time, and I suggest everyone tries karting, on whatever track you can find.
Man, if my parents were rich I would've been a great racer, I've got the excuses down!
Well done that man. Very decent time considering:

-Rental karts can be random, particularly their chassis
-Fastest laps are not done on summer afternoons (iirc you need summer evenings)
-You had plenty of mobile chicanes to avoid, getting a clean lap must've been a nightmare

Xun said:
I really do need to go karting.

Perhaps to Buckmore Park or something.

Could even get a little GAF meetup organised?
This is something I could get behind, haven't been karting for 14 years!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spot on review of Jake Humphrey's performance at the Olympics.
Operated under the delusion that he's great chums with Mark Cavendish and decided to rib him constantly, notably when the world champion cyclist turned up a few minutes late: 'Not quite as quick at walking as you are at cycling, is that the problem?' And just how did he confuse footballers Scott Sinclair (who is black) and Joe Allen (who is white) during GB v Uruguay?

Man, this is like watching a good friend going through a bad break-up. It's sad, but then gets annoying and a bit pathetic.

Barrichello: YOU STILL NEED ME AND YOU KNOW IT! ... OMG PLEASE TAKE ME BACK! D:

"I think there is still a way back, I'm not using IndyCar as a last resort," Barrichello told Auto Motor und Sport. "I drive because I love racing. My heart bleeds that I cannot be there. I am happy that I can drive here, I do not see myself as a victim. I think it's just a shame for Williams, it would have been a big year. Not just for me, but also for them.

Barrichello says his former employers would have greatly benefited from his services in 2012, with the Brazilian confident that he could have tamed Pastor Maldonado's controversial on-track personality.

"Williams would benefit from me," he added. "I would have been a good team-mate for (Bruno) Senna, (Valtteri) Bottas and Maldonado. Next to me, they would go much better than they do now. Look at Maldonado. He had fewer accidents last year than this season. Pastor is super fast, but he is a lot more controlled with me."

When asked to describe the squad's relative success so far this season, Barrichello stated that the FW34 was always going to be a substantial step up from 2011.

"We already recognised the problems last year," Barrichello, who scored just four points last season, began to sum up. "The move to Renault (engines) has been making a big difference. The big plus of this engine is its excellent driveability."
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282608/barrichello-there-is-still-a-way-back-to-f1/

Rumour: Merc to partially withdraw from F1

Mercedes are reportedly considering a partial withdrawal from F1 that would see them involved in a "semi-official" team from 2014.

According to French weekly Auto Hebdo in recent months the powers-that-be at the German car manufacturer have been asking themselves the question "how to get rid of a costly team with disappointing results while still enjoying its benefits?"

Unhappy with Bernie Ecclestone's decision not to give them a seat on the board when or if Formula One is floated on the Singapore stock exchange, it is believed that Mercedes have not signed the new Concorde Agreement thereby refusing to commit to Formula One long-term.

Added to that, a report emerged in June in a German business paper, Handelsblatt, claiming that Mercedes could quit over the Gerhard Gribkowsky bribery scandal.

The company was quick to deny the rumours with a spokesman saying: "Our Formula 1 commitment is for the long term and an integral component of our company philosophy.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7990513/-Merc-To-Partially-Withdraw-From-F1-

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Edmond Dantès;41060847 said:
I'd take it with a pinch of salt, but if they do leave...well, what an utter failure.
Back to what they were like with McLaren in the 2000s then. Engine supplier only for 2014 regulations. All the credit for winning without the cost.

navanman

Sounds like Turkey could be back on the F1 calendar after being axed this year (if they pay what Bernie is looking for in the coming years)

Chris R

That's Brilliant & Slightly scary.

Are there no rules/laws that should stop them from doing this?

They closed the tunnel off to let him do a demonstration run it looks like (hence the red lights and the DO NOT ENTER on the tunnel entrance at the start.

He did a full lap of what's going to be the new NJ track. This was just a short clip of the full lap.

The tunnel isn't part of the track... Did he do a lap in the F1 car with roads blocked off?

paskowitz

Could someone PM me the link to download the BBC iPlayer with Tor integrated into the program? I remember somebody posting it a while back. I think it was a link to the blog of the guy who created it. Thanks.

Could someone PM me the link to download the BBC iPlayer with Tor integrated into the program? I remember somebody posting it a while back. I think it was a link to the blog of the guy who created it. Thanks.
PM sent.

Oddly enough, I just Googled 'BBC Tor Player' and GAF's Olympic 2012 thread was the 8th result. We're obviously talking about the tor player more than the developer does!

Edmond Dantès;41112632 said:

From the article

For a family of four to attend the 2013 British Grand Prix at Silverstone would cost £496 (three-day general admission). That same family of four could have a week in Majorca for £503.
At a 1 star hotel with Ryan Air perhaps.

Deadman

F1 is really expensive compared to other motorsport events I've been to. 1000km of silverstone was £25 to get in, sit anywhere you want and if you get there early enough you can walk around the paddock and even the pit lane. Spa 1000km was 30 euroes for all 3 days, sit anywhere you want.

But hey, at least bernie has his billions.

navanman

2 weeks to Spa, the mandatory shut-down is over so expect some news to trickle out as the team factories are back open.

On that news, Newey expects engines to dominate in 2014 and the manufacturer that has the best package will win the championship no matter how good the rest can design their cars.
In his opinion the 2014 chassis and aero rules are even more restrictive than this year leaving engines are the only true differentiator.

2 weeks to Spa, the mandatory shut-down is over so expect some news to trickle out as the team factories are back open.

On that news, Newey expects engines to dominate in 2014 and the manufacturer that has the best package will win the championship no matter how good the rest can design their cars.
In his opinion the 2014 chassis and aero rules are even more restrictive than this year leaving engines are the only true differentiator.

He could be right, but he might also be lobbying to loosen up the restrictions. Otherwise, its his job and his peers' that will be compromised with stricter regulations

I still can't see what's the rationale behind the new engines! F1 is crying for cost cutting and they introduce this stuff now? while we're heading towards another crisis according to analysts!

EDIT: I really hope this thread pics up during next race weekend. It's really sad.

Chris R

For those going to Austin, there are some new seats available. Some premium stands.

Also, here is a good seating areas map including general admission areas, where I will be.
https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/cota/EN/buy/details/12F1?camefrom=CFC_COTA_EMAIL_MC_120820_3DPP_GEN_LL&utm_source=Circuit+of+The+Americas+%26+Formula+1+United+States&utm_campaign=1d36c5efda-F1_Premium_Pass_NON_PSL_8_16_2012&utm_medium=email

Bah :| Wonder how much of a hassle it would be to move my seat from T12 to T1. Also kinda wish I knew what the view would be like from T12 when everything is up (IE how much of the straight will I be able to see, how much of Mockenheim do I get a clear view of and can I see the cars as they go from T1 to T8 or whatever).

Because the "cheap" seats in T1 are the same price as my T12 tickets...

AndyD

aka andydumi
They wont let us upgrade. We only have general admission but they will not let us upgrade to real seats of any kind. They suggested we buy new ones and sell the GA on our own. I asked if he was suggesting scalping, and he said he had no statement. LOL.

Chris R

They wont let us upgrade. We only have general admission but they will not let us upgrade to real seats of any kind. They suggested we buy new ones and sell the GA on our own. I asked if he was suggesting scalping, and he said he had no statement. LOL.

I sent an email in but I'm expecting the same kind of response back :| Really want to sit at T1, but not if I have to scalp my other seat.

Top Bottom