• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

BBC 4 documentary, Racing Dreams - Mon 13 Aug 2012 10pm:

Duration: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Storyville: the coming-of-age story of three kids who dream of one day becoming professional race car drivers. Annabeth (11 years old), Josh (12) and Brandon (13) compete for the championship in the World Karting Association's national series, widely considered the little league for professional racing. Clocking speeds of up to 110 kmh, these young drivers race their way through the year-long national series that spawned many top drivers. At the same time - in intimate moments of young love and family struggle - they navigate the treacherous road between childhood and young adulthood.

Risgroo

Off-topic, sorry!

Since I'm suffering from severe F1 withdrawal, I decided to visit my local gokart track to scratch my racing itch. I arrived about 30 minutes before drop-in sessions were available, so I got to watch a bunch of 10-year olds zooming around, going quicker than I ever will, feels bad man. Anyway, my brother and I did about 25 laps each(1km track), and I had a great time, even though if my times weren't that great. For the first half of my laps I drove a kart with severe understeer, so I had to steer as hard as I could just to get through the corners. The next kart was a lot better, very responsive, and I could make the back step out, which was incredibly satisfying to control, though not very fast. Sadly, I never got a clean lap in, as some of the other people on track had never raced before, and lapped about 40 seconds slower than me(!).

My best lap was a 55.13, a second off my previous best, which I'm not too happy about(the record for rental karts is a 52.99). Still, I had a great time, and I suggest everyone tries karting, on whatever track you can find.
Man, if my parents were rich I would've been a great racer, I've got the excuses down!

Dilly

Banned
My best lap was a 55.13, a second off my previous best, which I'm not too happy about(the record for rental karts is a 52.99). Still, I had a great time, and I suggest everyone tries karting, on whatever track you can find.
Man, if my parents were rich I would've been a great racer, I've got the excuses down!

2 second gap on a 55s track is quite good.

Xun

BBC 4 documentary, Racing Dreams - Mon 13 Aug 2012 10pm:

Duration: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Thanks for the heads up!

Off-topic, sorry!

Since I'm suffering from severe F1 withdrawal, I decided to visit my local gokart track to scratch my racing itch. I arrived about 30 minutes before drop-in sessions were available, so I got to watch a bunch of 10-year olds zooming around, going quicker than I ever will, feels bad man. Anyway, my brother and I did about 25 laps each(1km track), and I had a great time, even though if my times weren't that great. For the first half of my laps I drove a kart with severe understeer, so I had to steer as hard as I could just to get through the corners. The next kart was a lot better, very responsive, and I could make the back step out, which was incredibly satisfying to control, though not very fast. Sadly, I never got a clean lap in, as some of the other people on track had never raced before, and lapped about 40 seconds slower than me(!).

I really do need to go karting.

Perhaps to Buckmore Park or something.

Could even get a little GAF meetup organised?

Hahahahahahaha Pastor Maldonado crashed during an exhibition run here in Venezuela. Good thing I couldn't go.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/maldonado-crashes-f1-street-demo-200316197.html

Yes, it was pouring in a less than ideal track but still hilarious.

WAHAHAH!! OMG!! I wanted to post something about his visit with a "let's hope he doesn't crash there too" comment. But seemed to far fetched lol

ibdWrP9ZIhWf1e.jpg

Useless fart

Community has killed this thread :(

I think it will only be active on race weekends now, and we have almost zero chance of getting new contributors

Xun

Community has killed this thread :(

I think it will only be active on race weekends now, and we have almost zero chance of getting new contributors
It really has.

Fuck Community.

Oh dear.

Even when he's not racing he still crashes.

Lourio

Anyone try making the Lotus Renault E20 papercraft? Can be found here.

I started this weekend but I'm having a hell of time trying to figure out the front nose section, complicated and their instructions aren't the greatest.

Perhaps someone from GAF can provide some input and clarity

This is what it's supposed to look like.

e20-paperwork-v6.png

Oh and Maldonado - LOL

Leunam

F1 threads are always a little inactive during the summer break. Just wait until after the next two races before calling this thread dead.

h3ro

Some of you guys are being a little dramatic, no?

It's the summer break, literally no new news or developments going on right now. Of course its gonna be quiet.

As an active poster in most of the sports threads, I see new posters jumping in all the time, and the MLB/NBA/NFL threads have been in OT Community longer than this thread. Give it time and wait for Spa. Ignoring a mods advice and starting another thread is a good way to lose the thread altogether.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Some of you guys are being a little dramatic, no?

It's the summer break, literally no new news or developments going on right now. Of course its gonna be quiet.

As an active poster in most of the sports threads, I see new posters jumping in all the time, and the MLB/NBA/NF threads have been in OT Community longer than this thread. Give it time and wait for Spa. Ignoring a mods advice and starting another thread is a good way to lose the thread altogether.
True, but it's never been this quiet though especially when compared to the SubZero era.

Nolan.

Maldonado manages to crash on a track free of other cars and with tyres that have good grip...what a racer, F1 needs more guys like this rather than the corporate 'keep my car on the track' plane Janes.

But that's not news. Everyone with a sane mind knew that a year ago.
Doesn't stop the heart wanting what the heart wants:(

We should just make a new thread, hopefully duckroll won't notice.

Actually that's a good idea..

we can create a new thread for every race! We're allowed to have that right? an 'official' thread of XXX race!

Let's do this.. just few days before the race

This thread will remain for general F1 talk

EDIT: Minardi: Raikkonen the 'greatest danger' for Alonso

“There are five drivers' who could win the title still and the greatest danger could come from [Kimi] Raikkonen. Unfortunately, some results haven't gone his way and he needs to improve in qualifying too. But he is aggressive and consistent in his performance.

“Alonso, [however], is in great shape and he has managed to take every opportunity, supported by a reliable Ferrari. It is this aspect that allows the Scuderia to concentrate 100 percent on the development of the car.”

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Actually that's a good idea..

we can create a new thread for every race! We're allowed to have that right? an 'official' thread of XXX race!

Let's do this.. just few days before the race

This thread will remain for general F1 talk

EDIT: Minardi: Raikkonen the 'greatest danger' for Alonso
That'll incur the wrath of the mods as well, but the US Grand Prix needs a thread of it's own, just so the general populace of GAF can be made aware of it and maybe a few new fans could be attracted to the sport.

A thread for every race like the Shinobi era circa 2005-2007 would be pushing it though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A recent interview with a doctor close to Kubica stated that although his hands have shown improvement and he has exhibited good control with them, his elbow is still a concern. This just adds another setback to his potential F1 comeback and may well be the final nail in the coffin. As it stands, it is looking pretty much impossible now.

Massive shame, he had the talent to go all the way and become a WDC, but above all that he genuinely comes across as a great bloke so it's disappointing to see his career destroyed.

Edmond Dantès;40978809 said:
That'll incur the wrath of the mods as well, but the US Grand Prix needs a thread of it's own, just so the general populace of GAF can be made aware of it and maybe a few new fans could be attracted to the sport.

A thread for every race like the Shinobi era circa 2005-2007 would be pushing it though.

Maybe thats a better idea then.

Edmond Dantès;40979249 said:
A recent interview with a doctor close to Kubica stated that although his hands have shown improvement and he has exhibited good control with them, his elbow is still a concern. This just adds another setback to his potential F1 comeback and may well be the final nail in the coffin. As it stands, it is looking pretty much impossible now.

Massive shame, he had the talent to go all the way and become a WDC, but above all that he genuinely comes across as a great bloke so it's disappointing to see his career destroyed.

so sad. He crashed and Ferrari got stuck with Massa for an extra year and probably 2 now

f0rk

I think the Off Topic Community section has also made the general OT forum a lot worse, so much dumb depressing bullshit comes to the top when you don't have the regular active threads around.

Ark

I don't think Raikkonen has that spark any more. He peaked at McLaren as far as I'm concerned, he won't get onto Alonso's level now.

The only people that can get onto Alonso's level are Hamilton or Vettel. Grojean has potential and Kimi is riding the wave until he retires for good, just like Button and even Schumacher. I like to think Rosberg has a great deal of potential too, but he might just end up becoming the new Heidfeld, just with a win.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;40978809 said:

I like this idea.

It must definitely happen.

I don't think Raikkonen has that spark any more. He peaked at McLaren as far as I'm concerned, he won't get onto Alonso's level now.

The only people that can get onto Alonso's level are Hamilton or Vettel. Grojean has potential and Kimi is riding the wave until he retires for good, just like Button and even Schumacher. I like to think Rosberg has a great deal of potential too, but he might just end up becoming the new Heidfeld, just with a win.
I think Hamilton is already on Alonso's level, he just lacks the consistency. Having said that though, had the team not fucked Hamilton up, he would most likely be leading. He's been driving superbly this year, and he definitely seems to have the right mindset nowadays. Vettel is undoubtably a great driver, but Hamilton and Alonso are pretty much neck and neck in my eyes.

Chris R

Didn't even notice that the thread had moved TBH, with this being the summer break and all. Would have took awhile to find it come next race weekend though.

dubc35

Meh, community. I don't know, did any of the regs see new members in here frequently? I'm usually a couple days, and many pages behind after GP's since I usually don't get to them until Monday or Tuesday. By then I feel like I've missed my window for discussion on some topics.

I do agree with Edmond though, new thread for US GP.

i think we can give kimi one more full year to really evaluate his level. but even if he is just riding the wave, he's still the reason i watch f1 these days.

Good to hear.

Thanks for posting!

Oh and when we get the new US thread up later this year, we definitely need to have a catching thread title.

"American Grand Prix: Formula 1" or something.

It'd be great if we could get more people into the sport.

"Formula 1: Bernie Does America"

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The only reason I think "American" should be first is to catch the attention of a bunch of posters.
I hope it's like the Olympics in a way. Not to that kind of extent of course, but introducing a new sport to people who would otherwise overlook it or not know about it.

Thread title should imply a 'return'. Example: Formula One returns to the US.

Top Bottom