• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

I think one of the reason he recieved a race ban is because of similar incidents this year involving him and race starts.

I do feel a little sorry for him missing Monza, he needs to be more wary of cars around him during the starts. However that fuckhead Prupose deserves to have his license revoked because most of his incidents are just him being an overly aggressive brute who doesn't think.

Not that I don't think Grosjean deserves a penalty, but if a history of bad starts plus this incident gives a race ban then Maldonado's license should already be revoked.

Yep. Then again, I think these types of accidents are incredibly dangerous and the marshalls want them stopped in the future.

Michael and Rubens almost had a similar accident in 2010 Hungary.
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/f1/8021/schumacher-sends-text-apology-barrichello

At those speeds you have to leave room or it can be disastrous as we saw today.

Those two incidents aren't really comparable at all. Schumacher was in the middle of a race, had a clear track and much more time leading into the incident.

Yen

Just finished watching the race. Grosjean deserves to be penalised but what he did was nothing compared to Maldonado all year.

Nolan.

I think one of the reason he recieved a race ban is because of similar incidents this year involving him and race starts.

Plus I think they also took into consideration the potential his action this time could have resulted in, Alonso in particular could have had more than just back pain.

Uh, race ban? Was just kidding before in no way does he deserve a race ban when compared to other incidents this year.

He did the same mistake in Monaco.
His actions could've killed or seriously injured another driver.
He was involved in 7 start accidents out of 12 races.

Grosjean might not create such a drama like Maldonado does, but he's not less dangerous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Those two incidents aren't really comparable at all. Schumacher was in the middle of a race, had a clear track and much more time leading into the incident.

Both incidents involve someone not having enough room on track to safely continue to race. Hamilton crashed, Barichello had to go off track to stay in the race. The stewards have put a strong focus on leaving enough room for others this year, including passing during races and obviously during starts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
He did the same mistake in Monaco.
His actions could've killed or seriously injured another driver.
He was involved in 7 start accidents out of 12 races.

Grosjean might not create such a drama like Maldonado does, but he's not less dangerous.

That's crazy. Definitely deserves it.

Full report:

After forcing Hamilton off-track, the McLaren was left with no grip and both cars slammed into the Sauber of Sergio Pérez and championship leader Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari. Kamui Kobayashi and Pastor Maldonado were also affected by the collision and Alonso was fortunate to avoid serious injury as Grosjean’s car passed within centimetres of his head.

Grosjean’s start-line tactics have already been questioned this year, not least in Monaco where he cut across Michael Schumacher and consequently spun in front of the field.

Yet to confirm a substitute for next weekend, Lotus is likely to place reserve driver Jérôme d’Ambrosio alongside Kimi Räikkönen. The Belgian last raced in Formula 1 for Virgin Racing (now Marussia), before being dropped in favour of Charles Pic for this season.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/283295/grosjean-receives-one-race-ban-for-monza/

Because he crashed into Alonso, duh!

Oh, I completely forgot that.

Of course, it was because Ferrari was affected. Lotus should sue them.

Dilly

Banned
So hyped. Not expecting too much though since he barely has experience in the car, it is still fun to see Jerome in a car from a subtop team.

Yes!

Ark

Man, Hamilton sure is a driver who gets into and causes a lot of incidents in Formula 1, he should really learn to calm down and mature.

I don't know why I posted this, heh.

Man, Hamilton sure is a driver who gets into and causes a lot of incidents in Formula 1, he should really learn to calm down and mature.

I don't know why I posted this, heh.

We should do it more like last year and blame Kamui for it. The smoke that came out of his brakes confused everyone.

If I had to guess I would say the deciding factor in a race ban for Grosjean vs the lighter penalties for Maldonado is the wheel to wheel contact. It's just so much easier for a car to become airborne in that kind of situation.

If I had to guess I would say the deciding factor in a race ban for Grosjean vs the lighter penalties for Maldonado is the wheel to wheel contact. It's just so much easier for a car to become airborne in that kind of situation.

There's only one deciding factor for the penalties.

WilTn.png

Ark

All the people saying that Grosjean's race ban is too harsh seem to be forgetting that he took out seven people including himself in an accident that was 110% his fault, all the while collecting two title contenders so far into the season.

Pastor about the start:

The irony is that if he hadn't jumped the start he would have been totally wiped out in the crash, but he wiped himself out later anyway.

Ark

Surely if the clutch 'slips' you aren't ready for it and would bog down a bit.

I guess the option would be to either stall/bog down at the start or jump the lights and take a drive-through/stop & go penalty, the latter option is probably the safest.

Also, I'm still supporting canopies for F1. Wheel covers would do well, like the rear-wheel covers in Indycar they have this year, but it won't stop incidents like today.

I'm also sure that the engineers and the FIA can find a way to make them safe and practical in terms of allowing drivers to get out ASAP after a crash.

All the people saying that Grosjean's race ban is too harsh seem to be forgetting that he took out seven people including himself in an accident that was 110% his fault, all the while collecting two title contenders so far into the season.

Hmmm. Which Lotus driver is now on P4, with only one point behind Webber and about 30 points behind Alonso?

he he he he

There's few people on the grid that haven't made that kind of mistake. Taking out title contenders really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Ark

There's few people on the grid that haven't made that kind of mistake. Taking out title contenders really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I thought I saw someone mention that that was in the stewards report, just threw it in there for arguments sake.

Hmmm. Which Lotus driver is now on P4, with only one point behind Webber and about 30 points behind Alonso?

he he he he

Shhhhh ;p

Leunam

What a race. Pretty hysterical watching people go nuts blaming Hamilton before we even got replays. Oh well. I actually had to pause the race afterwards I was so pissed.

Regardless, great race for Vettel making it up to second, but congrats to Button in dominating this weekend.

EDIT: To clarify, I paused the race because I was pissed about the wreck, not about the reactions. :)

Ark

Reading all of the posts on the internet about Grosjean's penalty being too harsh and this is the only gif reaction I could find that suits.

tumblr_m9mhmmeAwi1qbb7f3o1_500.gif

Community F1 GAF representing.

Dilly

Banned
Reading all of the posts on the internet about Grosjean's penalty being too harsh and this is the only gif reaction I could find that suits.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9mhmmeAwi1qbb7f3o1_500.gif[img]

[spoiler]Community F1 GAF representing.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I don't get it either. Penalty is the right thing to do.

Grosjean getting a race ban would be fine if Maldonado had already got at least (!) two for INTENTIONALLY ramming Hamilton and Perez. That's far more dangerous and malicious. Downright disgusting and he should never be allowed in an F1 car again because of it, in fact.

For him to get off with just penalties highlights how inconsistent this ban is.

tumblr_m9mhmmeAwi1qbb7f3o1_500.gif

Community F1 GAF representing.

Understandable. Grosjean is probably well liked on the internet. Always smiling, always the nice guy, the new rookie, talented, but oh so unfortunate.

DA2Dn.jpg

He's the cute little puppy that pissed on the carpet.

Don't get angry with him.

Dilly

Banned
Grosjean getting a race ban would be fine if Maldonado had already got at least (!) two for INTENTIONALLY ramming Hamilton and Perez. That's far more dangerous and malicious. Downright disgusting and he should never be allowed in an F1 car again because of it, in fact.

For him to get off with just penalties highlights how inconsistent this ban is.

Yes, which means Maldonado hasn't been properly punished. Grosjean deserved his ban, his move was close enough to ramming Hamilton of the track all teh same.

Top Bottom