• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Annnnnd the discussion is back.

Closed cockpits now appear 'inevitable' for Formula 1 in future

Start crash, Spa, 2012Closed cockpits now appear to be inevitable in Formula 1, with technical chiefs set to ramp up efforts to bring them in following Fernando Alonso's lucky escape in the first lap crash at the Belgian Grand Prix.

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe thinks the first corner crash will serve as a reminder about how important this work is and increase a push being made to change cockpit designs for as early as 2014.

"I think 2014 is intended, as we started the project a year ago," said Lowe, who has been involved in work on the cockpit project. "Personally I think something is inevitable because it is the one big [safety] exposure that we have got.

"You see it time and time again and think 'that was lucky'. One day it won't be lucky. At the same time it is an open cockpit formula so we have to protect that, but it should be technically possible one way or another."

Lowe says that an initial focus on canopy protection has now been abandoned, with tests highlighting that a bar/cage type design is much better.

"We have made a test piece and it has been tested structurally with various impacts, like firing wheels at it, and that was successful.

"So we understand some of the parameters in terms of the angles that are needed and the strength of the pieces. The work that is currently in progress is assessing its visibility, and we've done some work on the simulator with our interpretation.

"Ideally a driver wants nothing in the way, but in the same way as you drive a road car or even the old VW camper van with the centre pillar, you just get used to it don't you? We found that as long as the pillars don't get too big it is something you can get used to.

"So we have some parameters about pillar size, and now we are looking at making something with that pillar size and to the right strength requirement."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says that work on closed cockpits should not be rushed though, because there are numerous safety considerations needed.

"We were lucky because nothing happened to Fernando on the head," he said.

"We are working with the federation to work on the right system of protection, because on what we are testing and working on, there are also some problems that you may have - like moving the protection in the event of a fire or worse. So we need to be very careful on all these devices."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102213

You take away open cockpits and you take away a large part of what makes F1 so special.

Yep. Of course it's important to improve the safety of F1 all the time but let's not go to ridiculous levels. It's already kinda amazing how safe F1 is compared to 30 years ago when pretty much every year someone died. F1 will have its risks always and drivers know that and still want to drive.

Juicy Bob

Finding ways of protecting driver's heads is logical and important, I feel.

The FIA will come up with a measure to do this, will implement it, some people will voice complaints but after a while people will get used to it and we'll carry on as usual. The only thing that will change is that the sport will simply be safer.

You also run into the potential of taking away a life.

The same is true with closed cockpits (eg a turned over car, or a jammed cockpit).

Driver safety is of course important and I'm glad that nobody is dying in the sport these days. With that said, to make the sport super safe they could all drive at 70mph. That would be as much of a drastic and negative change to me as closing the cockpits of the cars. It just wouldn't be the same sport.

Yen

Stupid question - but would a roll cage work? It would protect them from wheels and debris, but maybe not much else.

Ark

Stupid question - but would a roll cage work? It would protect them from wheels and debris, but maybe not much else.

It's the more likely solution. The FIA and TWG have been working on canopies and what are effectively roll cages for the cockpit in place of a canopy. Personally I'd rather see canopies.

Either way, Formula 1 has to stop being an open-cockpit sport. It's inevitable, in the last four years we've had seriously scary crashes involving driver's heads. Massa in 2009, Schumacher and Liuzzi in 2010 and Alonso last weekend.

Canopies and wheel-covers would make the cars quicker anyway.

Adamm

I think cockpits or roll cages will be interesting to see. Will they be a standard for all cars, or will we see them being used as part of the aerodynamic setup?

Also how will it effect getting out of the car, drivers have to be able to get out of the car in 5 seconds or something like that

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgHh4V0WYCs

I think cockpits or roll cages will be interesting to see. Will they be a standard for all cars, or will we see them being used as part of the aerodynamic setup?

A canopy would be one step closer to the "ultimate" F1 car. They could eject the canopy to the back to exit out quickly.

Jinjo

Dunno about closed cockpits, not cause of "it's not the same sport ohnoes", cause when it comes to safety I'm not the one driving these things. Just ya know, what if something happens (a fire, accident) and the cockpit gets jammed shut....

Maybe I'd just rather have my head lobbed off (not that something like that'll happen with how drivers are so low in the car) instead of slowly bleeding/burning to death while emergency services can't get to me or get there too late and I can't get out of this damn cockpit.

Business

F1 is a dangerous sport, part of the excitement and the glamour comes from that very fact. I'm all for safety but if they put a canopy they might as well call it something else.

Lucius86

Banned
Just got back from Spa - that has to have been the most amazing weekend I have ever had.

Detailed write up incoming - got a lot of stuff to sort out!

Ark

Could just very well make it an LMP class then.

Couldn't be any more different.

A canopy would be one step closer to the "ultimate" F1 car. They could eject the canopy to the back to exit out quickly.

A lot of people seem to fail to realise this.

---

people are asking in case the Lotus F1 team[Renault] called me to race in Monza if I would go???the answer is YES...

From Barrichello's Twitter. I really do miss the guy in F1, Maldonado or Senna will never be anything close to what Barrichello was.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From Barrichello's Twitter. I really do miss the guy in F1, Maldonado or Senna will never be anything close to what Barrichello was.

Indeed
Obligatory
img_rubens_crying_1.jpg

Ark

Yes, it could.

I wouldn't find the sport any less interesting if they were wheel-covered canopy F1's. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

People are clinging to the open wheel & cockpit formula too much. It took the death of Dan Wheldon for Indycar to introduce rear-wheel covers, is F1 going to wait for another death before a necessary safety change is brought in?

It took the death of Dan Wheldon for Indycar to introduce rear-wheel covers, is F1 going to wait for another death before a necessary safety change is brought in?

The 2012 Indycar design has absolutely nothing to do with Wheldon's incident, giving that it pre-dates it substantially. In fact, Wheldon was the first driver to test the chassis design.

xptoxyz

Now catching up to the post-race stuff. Did I just hear Horner say there were "clenched bums" on the Red Bull pit-wall when their drives were side by side?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I moved up 7 places to 15th i was one of the winners
Moved up 7 places too. Thought changing from Maldonado to Schumacher was going to backfire but then Pastor did his usual crazy shit again and Schumi had a decent race in the Merc.

Pimpwerx

Good win for Button yesterday. Needless to say Grosjean ruined the race for me, and my fantasy team. It was a good race though. I love Spa so much. My favorite circuit by far. PEACE.

Xun

It's a real shame I could potentially be missing Monza this weekend since I'm away on holiday, but I'll try and find a way to watch it. ;)

I'm interested to see how Lewis will do with the new rear wing.

It's worth keeping in mind that he already had the new rear wing (used in FP3)... he was shit with it and HE / HIS ENGINEERS decided to go back to the old wing, before whining on twitter about not having the low downforce setup.

The setup simply didn't suit him as well as it did Button... which has been the case (or vice versa) for almost every race this year. McLaren seem incapable of coming up with a car which works for both of them.

Chris R

Bring on the canopies. Driver safety is #1, how many close calls will it take (Schumacher @ Abu Dhabi a few years back, Massa @ Hungary, Alonso now, ect) will it take?

neoanarch

Coming from a new fan to the sport. I don't see the big deal. I'm a fan of the speed, machine and mostly the driver skill. How exactly would a closed cockpit or the protective cage change that?

acm2000

And De Villota lost an eye this year.

a canopy would probably not have helped in that case, roll bars would tho

Coming from a new fan to the sport. I don't see the big deal. I'm a fan of the speed, machine and mostly the driver skill. How exactly would a closed cockpit or the protective cage change that?

it wouldnt, people are scaremongering, its an open wheel sport, not open cockpit, as long as those wheels stay vunerable out in the open, its f1, if anything, canopies bring f1 closer to the future, and could look fecking amazesauce

acm2000

Viewing figures for the Belgian Grand Prix show Sky with an average of 0.33m watching the coverage between 11.00am and 4.15pm with a peak of 0.89m. The BBC had an average of 2.77m for the live coverage on BBC1 between 12.10pm and 3.15pm with a peak of 3.69m.

Last year the BBC had an average of 3.76m and a peak of 5.33m for the Belgian Grand Prix.
http://www.f1revs.com/2012/09/bbc-sky-belgian-gp-viewing-figures.html

thats 0.6m down on last years viewers

moojito

What's quite interesting regarding the mclaren wing situation is some commentator (gary anderson maybe) a few weeks ago during the button poor form period said that at the time they had a car suiting hamilton which button couldn't drive well. He said if they had the opposite situation and they had a car suited to button, hamilton had enough raw talent to drive around that. I guess we'll never know how it ended up in the race, but it sure didn't seem to be heading that way.

Omiee

because of the holiday i just got the time to watch the race.

damnn what an exicitng start. i know the sport can be dangerous some times but i really hope they dont introduce a cockpit.

Very nice win for button, he def deserves it. Pretty good performance from vettel.

And loldonado is such stupid.

Top Bottom