• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Lotus singing praises of Kimi for a change

Lotus technical director James Allison meanwhile praised Raikkonen for taking third and is now hoping they will be back on form in Italy.

“Kimi did a really good job to salvage third position today with a car which really wasn't quick enough.....

In actual fact, this has been one of our tougher weekends and we're thankful that Kimi did his best to limit the damage to our Championship aspirations,” Allison added.

"It is up to us to give him a good car and not miss any opportunity, but Kimi does not miss much.

"If you are scoring podiums every weekend then he is going to be in the position to fight for the title. He has three podiums in the last four races and even if he does not have the best car, he is still right there."

Boullier also believes that Raikkonen did the best that could have been expected of him in Spa, including a spectacular overtaking move past Michael Schumacher into Eau Rouge.

"I think you can appreciate it, because the fight with Michael was amazing," he said. "He was very serious, and he did not miss any opportunity."

And wipers.

Not necessarily, if you're driving at high speeds the window will clear itself if we're talking about rain only. But what if it got hit by mud, oil, grass, a bird..etc maybe it is needed.

I doubt we'll get canopies, even though I think they'd be better.

We'll probably get some horrible looking cage / roll bars.

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgHh4V0WYCs

From Paddy Lowe, technical director at McLaren.

"So we understand some of the parameters in terms of the angles that are needed and the strength of the pieces. The work that is currently in progress is assessing its visibility, and we've done some work on the simulator with our interpretation.

"Ideally a driver wants nothing in the way, but in the same way as you drive a road car or even the old VW camper van with the centre pillar, you just get used to it don't you? We found that as long as the pillars don't get too big it is something you can get used to.

"So we have some parameters about pillar size, and now we are looking at making something with that pillar size and to the right strength requirement."

I think the hazards of having it are more.

- Visibility
- Heat
- Risk of getting stuck
- Concentrated smoke, we've seen so many incidents where smoke fills the cockpit these days so imagine if it was covered. Instant suffocation
- Takes more time to get out of the car in case of a fire. And they can't have a system that the cover ejects itself like a jetfighter, you will have another problem if it lands on other drivers or spectators.

I just can't see it happening

EDIT: To be honest, I don't see why they need to do that. We only got a scare with Massa's accident, and before that it was Senna. To change a whole sport and invest that much money because of two incidents in the past 18 years is not justified.

I don't want to sound insensitive, I know a human life is very important, but sometimes statistics can make sense. The only way I would say this is worth it, is that if they ban open cockpit racing all around the world and enforce the covers in all the racing series

Yen

Jérôme D’Ambrosio to Drive in Monza

2012/09/04

Lotus F1 Team third driver Jérôme D’Ambrosio will compete for the team in the Italian Grand Prix as a replacement for Romain Grosjean who received a one-race ban after the last race in Spa.

Jérôme – who contested the 2011 Formula 1 season as a driver for the Marussia Virgin Racing team - had a seat fitting in the race chassis on Sunday night in Belgium and is working closely with the team to ensure a seamless transition from third driver to race driver for Monza.

Eric Boullier, Team Principal
“When we signed Jérôme as our third driver we signed a man who is highly motivated, fresh, talented and who contested the full 2011 season. We hope that this will pay dividends when he drives the car this weekend in Monza. We know that Jérôme is well integrated into the team and that he did a good job when he drove the E20 at the Mugello test. Now he has the challenge of a Grand Prix at the challenging circuit of Monza, in a car which is capable of finishing on the podium. One thing is for sure, he’s half Italian and I think I know which driver the spectators will support apart from Fernando ! It’s a tough task for Jérôme, but we will be supporting him in every way to achieve a good result.”

Jérôme D’Ambrosio, Third Driver
“My desire for 2012 has always been to get back into the seat of a Formula 1 car so I am grabbing this opportunity with both hands. Monza is a fantastic circuit and I can’t wait to take to the track on Friday. As third driver I have worked with the team at every Grand Prix, attending all the briefings and meetings that the race drivers do, so I am well prepared in this respect. Monza is a superb circuit, but it is also quite a technical one so I am not underestimating the task ahead of me. I want to reward the faith that the team has in me with a good haul of points from the race. I will hand the wheel back to Romain after Sunday’s race and I hope that this one showing in Italy will allow me to show my capabilities fully.”

Lotus F1 Team’s Top Ten Facts about Jérôme D’Ambrosio

1. He’s so eager he sometimes arrives at the track before all the engineers.
2. His last race was the 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix.
3. He was nicknamed ‘custard’ by his last team, in recognition of the similarity named Ambrosia custard brand.
4. He is The Master. Or, at least, he was the inaugural International Formula Master champion in 2007.
5. He is the first Belgian to race in F1 since Bertrand Gachot in 1995.
6. He likes taxi drivers.
7. If he wasn’t an F1 driver, he’d like to be an airline pilot.
8. He has very blue eyes.
9. His name generates ‘about’ 1,370,000,000 results on Google
10. At 1.72m he’s the team’s shortest driver.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=140a04a2c76d0c4e6bcee01d0&id=b398cb0a87&e=c5338b3407

mclaren777

I'm bummed about Lewis not finishing, but overall I'm pleased with the first-lap crash because it meant Alonso didn't score any points.

SpaCrash.gif

mclaren777

I'm not sure why, but I have the feeling you would've opened a bottle of champagne if he died.

I'm actually somewhat offended that you would suggest such a thing.

I hate Ferrari and I'm still mad at Alonso for 2007, but I certainly don't want anybody to die or even wind up like Kubica.

I simply don't want Alonso/Ferrari to win any championships. Plain and simple.

Yen

kimi has been smiling a lot lately. whats up with that?

His water bottle is filled with vodka.

Speaking of water bottles, I don't understand how drivers drink during the race. Presumably they have a straw and a button to release the stuff but after that, my imagination doesn't know what happens next.

His water bottle is filled with vodka.

Speaking of water bottles, I don't understand how drivers drink during the race. Presumably they have a straw and a button to release the stuff but after that, my imagination doesn't know what happens next.

Some sort of swallowing process?

But where is the straw? Under the balaclava? Does the driver have the straw in his mouth the whole race? No, because how would he talk?

In the helmet, there's like a 1 inch gap between the driver's mouth and the helmet. in that gap I presume the mic is located and s hole from which the water comes. If there was some pressure all he needs to do is open his mouth and push the button.

EDIT: after all, driver will only take a sip to avoid throat dryness. I've read somewhere that the water is hot. Can't remember which driver said that though

Ark

EDIT: after all, driver will only take a sip to avoid throat dryness. I've read somewhere that the water is hot. Can't remember which driver said that though

I think the BBC did an interview with Button last year and he spoke about it, I don't know though.

But yeah the water would be warm thanks to the engine.

They do carry something like a camelback for hydrating in-race, but it's like very little.

Also, wow at the crash at the start. I was afraid Alonso got hurt for a second.

Hulkenberg and Sutil in the running to replace Massa

Nico Hulkenberg

“I can neither confirm nor deny the thing (story) about Ferrari,” he told Bild.

Adrian Sutil: “Ferrari is looking for a reliable second man who scores points regularly. I think I can be trusted to do that.”

Alonso: Grosjean apologised in an SMS

“I told him (Grosjean) it’s okay and that we’ll see him again in Singapore,” Alonso is quoted by the Spanish news agency EFE.

Retired double world champion Mika Hakkinen told the Ilta-Sanomat that the FIA was right to suspend Grosjean.

“Alonso narrowly escaped a tragedy,” he said. “I see the penalty as entirely fair and gives him (Grosjean) a chance to reflect on the way he drives.”

Kimi Raikkonen, Grosjean’s teammate, said he is happy to continue to race alongside the usually-smiling Frenchman.

“He is a good teammate,” said the 2007 world champion. “We talk often and we work together well, even if we don’t do anything together outside of the track.”

Raikkonen would not comment on the first-corner crash or Grosjean’s ban.

Glock: Maybe Pic doesn’t understand the English on the radio

“Maybe he doesn’t understand the English on the radio,” the angry Glock said.

He insisted it is “pointless” to try to sit down with the 22-year-old, because the blocking had happened several times this year.

“It’s up to the team to solve it,” said Glock.

The tension remains high, after the two Marussias fought hard for track position last weekend at Spa-Francorchamps.

Asked by Auto Motor und Sport if it was a “fair fight”, Glock answered: “Only to a certain point. That’s all I really want to say. There have been a couple of hairy situations that we have to resolve internally.”

Monza pole position sitters:

2011 Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault
2010 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
2009 Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes
2008 Sebastian Vettel – Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2007 Fernando Alonso – McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Kimi Räikkönen – McLaren-Mercedes
2005 Juan Pablo Montoya – McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Rubens Barrichello – Ferrari
2003 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2002 Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW
2001 Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW
2000 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
1999 Mika Häkkinen – McLaren-Mercedes
1998 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
1997 Jean Alesi – Benetton-Renault
1996 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1995 David Coulthard – Williams-Renault
1994 Jean Alesi – Ferrari
1993 Alain Prost – Williams-Renault
1992 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Renault
1991 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1990 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1989 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1988 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1987 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda
1986 Teo Fabi – Benetton-BMW
1985 Ayrton Senna – Lotus-Renault
1984 Nélson Piquet – Brabham-BMW
1983 Ricardo Patrese – Brabham-BMW
1982 Mario Andretti – Ferrari
1981 René Arnoux – Renault
1979 Jean-Pierre Jabouille – Renault
1978 Mario Andretti – Lotus-Ford
1977 James Hunt – McLaren-Ford
1976 Jacques Lafitte – Ligier-Matra
1975 Niki Lauda – Ferrari
1974 Niki Lauda – Ferrari
1973 Ronnie Peterson – Lotus-Ford
1972 Jacky Ickx – Ferrari
1971 Chris Amon – Matra
1970 Jacky Ickx – Ferrari
1969 Jocken Rindt – Lotus-Ford
1968 John Surtees – Honda
1967 Jim Clark – Lotus-Ford
1966 Mike Parkes – Ferrari
1965 Jim Clark – Lotus-Climax
1964 John Surtees – Ferrari
1963 John Surtees – Ferrari
1962 Jim Clark – Lotus Climax
1961 Wolfgang von Trips – Ferrari
1960 Phil Hill – Ferrari
1959 Stirling Moss – Cooper-Climax
1958 Stirling Moss – Vanwall
1957 Stuart Lewis-Evans – Vanwall
1956 Juan Manuel Fangio – Ferrari
1955 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes
1954 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes
1953 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1952 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1951 Juan Manuel Fangio – Alfa Romeo
1950 Juan Manuel Fangio – Alfa Romeo

Note: The 1980 Italian Grand Prix was staged at Imola and therefore does not feature on this list

Monza Grand Prix winners:

2011 Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault *
2010 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari *
2009 Rubens Barrichello – Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Sebastian Vettel – Toro Rosso-Ferrari *
2007 Fernando Alonso – McLaren-Mercedes *
2006 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2005 Juan Pablo Montoya – McLaren-Mercedes *
2004 Rubens Barrichello – Ferrari *
2003 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
2002 Rubens Barrichello – Ferrari
2001 Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW *
2000 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1999 Heinz-Harald Frentzen – Jordan-Honda
1998 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1997 David Coulthard – McLaren-Mercedes
1996 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
1995 Johnny Herbert – Benetton-Renault
1994 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1993 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1992 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1991 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Renault
1990 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1989 Alain Prost – McLaren-Honda
1988 Gerhard Berger – Ferrari
1987 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda *
1986 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda
1985 Alain Prost – McLaren-TAG
1984 Niki Lauda – McLaren-TAG
1983 Nélson Piquet – Brabham-BMW
1982 René Arnoux – Renault
1981 Alain Prost – Renault
1979 Jody Scheckter – Ferrari
1978 Niki Lauda – Brabham-Alfa Romeo
1977 Mario Andretti – Lotus-Ford
1976 Ronnie Peterson – March-Ford
1975 Clay Regazzoni – Ferrari
1974 Ronnie Peterson – Lotus-Ford
1973 Ronnie Peterson – Lotus-Ford *
1972 Emerson Fittipaldi – Lotus-Ford
1971 Peter Gethin – BRM
1970 Clay Regazzoni – Ferrari
1969 Jackie Stewart – Matra-Ford
1968 Denny Hulme – McLaren-Ford
1967 John Surtees – Honda
1966 Ludovico Scarfiotti – Ferrari
1965 Jackie Stewart – BRM
1964 John Surtees – Ferrari *
1963 Jim Clarke – Lotus-Climax
1962 Graham Hill – BRM
1961 Phil Hill – Ferrari
1960 Phil Hill – Ferrari *
1959 Stirling Moss – Cooper-Climax *
1958 Tony Brookes – Vanwall
1957 Stirling Moss – Vanwall
1956 Stirling Moss – Maserati
1955 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes *
1954 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes *
1953 Juan Manuel Fangio – Maserati
1952 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari *
1951 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1950 Giuseppe Farina – Alfa Romeo

* Victory from pole position

Note: The 1980 Italian Grand Prix was staged at Imola and therefore does not feature on this list

Does Sutil really think he still has a shot at getting back in F1 after his incident?

Besides, his sentence(probation) wont end until mid 2013 so I highly doubt he'd be Massa's replacement.

I hate Ferrari and I'm still mad at Alonso for 2007, but I certainly don't want anybody to die or even wind up like Kubica.

LOL

The ridiculous Webber-love on this forum makes me hope he has a season-ending accident in Melbourne.

Yes you must be so offended someone would think so little of you for no reason.

kharma45

The fuck :lolololol

At least Foli got in there already with that quote from earlier in the year.

Xun

Vettel is a great driver, but to be higher than some of the classic drivers and Hamilton/Alonso isn't right.

Wow at Vettel ranked higher than Alonso, even the 8th best driver in F1 history is a stretch.

Anyway, looking at the standings I can't believe Kimi is only 33 points away from 1st and he is yet to win a race, who would have thought he would be a championship contender in his first season back in Formula 1.

acm2000

The Red Bull driver has undoubtedly had a stellar career so far - 22 grand prix victories, at a rate of more than one in four races, 33 pole positions and the youngest double world champion in history. All by the age of 25 and in just five seasons in F1.

wish you people would quit your moaning, he is up there with the best of them for these facts, you cant argue with them, he dominated like no one has since schumacher, so much so that FIA keeps adjusting rules just to stop RB, whether or not you like him or hate him, makes no difference, alonso hasnt backed up his great driving ability with such statistics yet

22 victories
33 poles
two world champion titles

and he is just 25 years old. Vettel <-> Alonso is maybe debatable but he is clearly better than Hamilton.

Wow at Vettel ranked higher than Alonso, even the 8th best driver in F1 history is a stretch.

Anyway, looking at the standings I can't believe Kimi is only 33 points away from 1st and he is yet to win a race, who would have thought he would be a championship contender in his first season back in Formula 1.

Me :)

EDIT: I just remembered that I place a bet with Luc which I'm winning by a huge margin now. What will make the prize sweeter is if Kimi wins the WDC. He will have to buy me a Bluray season review of 2012 if I win

oh the bet is who will outscore the other, Kimi or Grosjean lol

Az

22 victories
33 poles

and he is just 25 years old. Vettel <-> Alonso is debatable but he is clearly better than Hamilton.

I think its still too early to put Vettel in an all time top list. I want to see where he is in about 5 years but if he keeps up there is no doubt about him being top10.

22 victories
33 poles

and he is just 25 years old. Vettel <-> Alonso is maybe debatable but he is clearly better than Hamilton.

He could be one of the greatest but at the moment he's not IMHO. I'm sure by the end of his career he will be one of them

The list is crap to me anyway as it is clear it won't have Kimi's name on it

Me :)

EDIT: I just remembered that I place a bet with Luc which I'm winning by a huge margin now. What will make the prize sweeter is if Kimi wins the WDC. He will have to buy me a Bluray season review of 2012 if I win

oh the bet is who will outscore the other, Kimi or Grosjean lol

Yeah I should have said apart from Jerk. It's weird calling you Jerk, sounds very rude but hey that's your username.

I think it's also safe to say you won the bet of who will outscore the other.

I think its still too early to put Vettel in an all time top list. I want to see where he is in about 5 years but if he keeps up there is no doubt about him being top10.

I basically agree with that. He's managed more than any other driver had at the same age, which is phenomenal, but you can't really place him until he has a few more years under his belt. Same for Hamilton.

well, In my opinion it's better not to include active driver in such top 20 lists - maybe with Schumacher as big exception.

But I think it's strange how people are still surprised or even shocked that Vettel is a top driver.

Yeah I should have said apart from Jerk. It's weird calling you Jerk, sounds very rude but hey that's your username.

I think it's also safe to say you won the bet of who will outscore the other.

Yeah I've been called a Jerk so many times in this thread. I'd like to believe all meant to call me by my name though ;)

Myoclonic Jerk is a fascinating thing. Read about it.

And I hope Luc honors the deal hehe

Dilly

Banned
wish you people would quit your moaning, he is up there with the best of them for these facts, you cant argue with them, he dominated like no one has since schumacher, so much so that FIA keeps adjusting rules just to stop RB, whether or not you like him or hate him, makes no difference, alonso hasnt backed up his great driving ability with such statistics yet

Alonso hasn't been in Vettel's position for 4 years.

Statistics alone isn't what makes someone a great driver. Vettel is far too early in his career to rank him between legends of the sports.

I don't think domination is an adding factor, actually its a negative, because he had the best car by far.

In comparison, Alonso has fought really hard to win both his championships, was a championship contender in 2007, 2010 and leading the WDC now.

in pure statistics, Alonso rips Vettel another one, but again, Alonso has been around for longer, that's why I'm saying its too early to include him in one of the greatest list. What if he doesn't win another race in his remaining career, would he deserve to be on the list? No, but if the same thing happens to Alonso, he would still be considered one of the best.

My 2c

Top Bottom