• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Juicy Bob

This guy:

8nABZ.jpg

Just became a Paralympic Gold medalist.

Dead Man

Bloody hell. He was crap in F1 twice, but he seems to be brilliant at everything else he tries. On top of being a much tougher man than me. I would have curled up and died after his accident, he keeps on rocking.

Goldrusher

If that's true, then where does Rosberg go? McLaren? Ferrari?

I can't see Schumacher leaving. He's still good, is having fun, brings in sponsors, has a ton of fans and he really, really wants to win again.

Ark

I can't see Schumacher leaving. He's still good, is having fun, brings in sponsors, has a ton of fans and he really, really wants to win again.

You seriously think Mercedes would even consider keeping Schumacher over Rosberg? ..

I wouldn't be surprised to see Schumacher leave, he's has a really unfortunate and awful year this year. Hamilton to Mercedes is interesting, it'll be interesting to see what he can do with whatever they produce next year and iirc he was teammates with Rosberg in some other series back in the day.

McLaren would most likely fill Hamilton's space with someone like Di Resta, Raikkonen, possibly even Paffett?

What kind of a shitty move is that?

It seems shitty, and I know I'm contradicting myself from earlier this year, but let's be honest, McLaren has been making mistakes consistently for the last three years. Hamilton should have been leading this title by a healthy margin already if it wasn't for McLaren's appalling mistakes and inconsistency. Even his title in 2007 was a massive stroke of luck.

kiyomi

That sounds like a weird move to make. It's not even a sidestep to another team, right now it's a step down. Granted Mercedes have a lot of resources to plow into F1 but they've not had anywhere near the success (as Brawn and Honda) that McLaren have sustained over decades.

Also - the source is Eddie Jordan.

Dilly

Banned
It seems shitty, and I know I'm contradicting myself from earlier this year, but let's be honest, McLaren has been making mistakes consistently for the last three years. Hamilton should have been leading this title by a healthy margin already if it wasn't for McLaren's appalling mistakes and inconsistency.

Agreed, but I'm not sure Mercedes is better in that regard considering Schumacher's car having constant mechanical failures. And contrary to the McLaren, the Mercedes doesn't make up for it with raw pace. If I were in Hamilton's position, the only teams that I'd go to would be Ferrari and Red Bull, and Ferrari is out of the question.

Also, McLaren is a true F1 team, you can be sure that they won't suddenly pull out of the sport if the results aren't there, Mercedes can.

Ark

Also - the source is Eddie Jordan.

Very true, although in all fairness this rumour has been around for quite some time now.

Agreed, but I'm not sure Mercedes is better in that regard considering Schumacher's car having constant mechanical failures. And contrary to the McLaren, the Mercedes doesn't make up for it with raw pace. If I were in Hamilton's position, the only teams that I'd go to would be Ferrari and Red Bull, and Ferrari is out of the question.

Also, McLaren is a true F1 team, you can be sure that they won't suddenly pull out of the sport if the results aren't there, Mercedes can.

Mercedes is more unlikely to pull out if they get Hamilton on board. All of a sudden they've got a huge awareness boost in the UK and also generally, plus Hamilton is far more likely to generate results than Schumacher or Rosberg will, as well as bringing a whole new approach to the team in general.

You have to consider how desirable Hamilton is. I'll bet the Mercedes board will be significantly more likely to increase team funding with a consistently proved race & championship winner, rather than someone still riding the wave of seven titles and a midfield driver who seems stagnant.

Whatever happens, I'd be willing to put money on Button winning a second title with McLaren the moment Hamilton leaves.

dubc35

Wow, Lewis to Mercedes? I don't blame him for wanting to move on but Mercedes doesn't seem like an upgrade to me.

Not sure if posted yet, bonus Q is up on F1RM.
Benetton

Igo

I don't know wtf Lewis is thinking. I kinda got the feeling he really wanted that Red Bull seat, but once Webber resigned I was certain he'd stay with McLaren. Mercedes have less of a clue than McLaren so this doesn't make any sense.

pants

I don't know wtf Lewis is thinking. I kinda got the feeling he really wanted that Red Bull seat, but once Webber resigned I was certain he'd stay with McLaren. Mercedes have less of a clue than McLaren so this doesn't make any sense.

I can see Hamilton doing one year at Mercedes while he waits for Webber to step down. A bit like Alonso at Renault (second stint)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Congrats to Zanardi. It's really awesome to see him succeed in his various sporting efforts after his accident.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I would have faith in this rumour from Eddie. He must have some inside scoop with some Mercedes guys as he was the one who broke the needs that Schumacher was coming back to F1.

Not a good move IMO. Sure they have signed some great engineers recently but the teams future is uncertain and unproven.

markao

Did not see that Hamilton move coming, with current Mercedes performance compared to McLaren, maybe that deal was already done a while back

The new engines (less fuel) is for 2014 (or is that next season) and will Mercedes still be supplying McLaren in that season? Looking for reasons ;), as I cannot see it working out for next year.

And great to see that Zanardi pic (gold medal), huge respect.

Leunam

Hamilton to Mercedes? The same Mercedes that was considering pulling out of F1 next year just before they won in China? I'm going to need more confirmation before I tear my hair out. :/

Eh, maybe it won't be so bad. I'd love to see Mercedes do well.

Risgroo

Whaaaaaaat??? The same team(Merc, Brawn, Honda, BAR) that have made two front running cars the last ten years and a few decent ones?

I choose not to believe this until we get a better source than EJ.

Lewis and his team have used just about every team in the paddock to try and worry McLaren into signing on the dotted line. I'm going to assume this is more of the same until hear something official.

Although it is interesting timing coming off of Lewis' ridiculous behavior in Belgium. Maybe McLaren has finally said enough is enough with this clown, and not the other way around.

navanman

James Allen has said he also heard of this move on Monday but didn't want to report on it as it was only a rumour. Seems to be more weight behind this one.

Mercedes is a disappointing team, but people here are acting like McLaren has done anything worthwhile in over a decade.

Lets see:

Hasnt won the WCC in 14 years

Barely won the WDC in 2007, otherwise would be on a 13 year dry spell.

If anything, theyre more disappointing than Mercedes given their resources and the overall inconsistency year after year, I'm not surprised Hamilton is pursuing other options.

Pants said it best, Hamilton is probably just waiting out until RBR or Ferrari(when Alonso retires? lol) has an open spot for him.

You can argue he's better off at McLaren while waiting for other teams to sign him, but thats something we cant judge. Its just like any other job in the world, even if the salary is good, if you're really unhappy where you're working, you'd want to move elsewhere.

Wes

venison crêpe
Not knowing aything about the driver's contacts, could this mean Kobayashi to McLaren? I will squeel if so.

Omiee

Weird desision by Hamilton. McLaren has far more chance to win. Unless Lewis thanks the Mercedes enhines will be better than the ones McLaren will make.

What is the bonus question answer

That's awesome.

What? Not sure what to make of that if he indeed decides to move to Mercedes, seems like a step down, but considering the new rules which will be in place soon and the money Hamilton will bring with him you never know.

Mercedes has always strived to be at the very top. Hamilton will be a great addition for his talent but he will also attract publicity and sponsors. Combine all of this this and they could get that extra push to get in front. Hamilton has reason to be unhappy so I can imagine him wanting to go.

pants

Weird desision by Hamilton. McLaren has far more chance to win. Unless Lewis thanks the Mercedes enhines will be better than the ones McLaren will make.

Neither McLaren nor Mercedes have been world beaters to be frank, so why not go to a team where your salary expectations will be met while he waits for first prize?

NHale

Very predictable move by Hamilton. It's a huge mistake that he will regret for years to come because everyone can bitch about McLaren but they are always there fighting and improving their car. Mercedes will see a boost with this move but if things don't go the right way, I can definitely see them leaving the sport which will leave him in the same situation as Alonso in 2008.

Schumacher goes to Ferrari for one last year. Ferrari wants a driver for 1 year only because they believe Vettel is going to sign with them. Schummy is definitely better than Massa, so it would be the perfect match. The only person that could say "no" is Alonso...

McLaren doesn't have a No1 driver, if he goes to Mercedes he will be the complete focus of the team.

Beneton is the answer

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the agreement is true and leads to a contract with Mercedes, although I agree with the general consensus that it would likely be a mistake in terms of future potential. But given what Hamilton has been through over the last year or so, I very much doubt that is his key consideration at the moment.

navanman

Schumi back at Ferrari would be incredible to see. Hamilton leaving would start a nice chain reaction of drivers leaving teams. Something to talk about anyway.

Top Bottom