• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

thefro

This guy:

8nABZ.jpg

Just became a Paralympic Gold medalist.

And it sounds like he's going to run the Indy 500 next year. Amazing person.

Really hope not. I want him to stay at Lotus.

It would likely be prohibitively expensive to wrench him free from Lotus anyway.

Given his Merc links (and given that both of their seats would seem to be occupied for a while), I think Di Resta would be high on McLaren's list (potentially also Hulkenberg).

Senna is likely to be squeezed out of Williams next year, but he'd be a bit of a risk in comparison.

Dilly

Banned
Does anyone know what the latest news on Kubica is? I've almost given up all hope of him returning :(

He did a one day test with a Ford WRC car on some circuit.

He is never returning to F1, might be able to race in a lower and less demanding class though.

Does anyone know what the latest news on Kubica is? I've almost given up all hope of him returning :(

He tested a Ford rally car.

Kubica drives Ford rally car in France
28 August 2012

Robert Kubica has been continuing his long convalescence by driving a Ford Fiesta World Rally car, according to Belgian publication L’Avenir. This comes just under 19 months after the crash which so nearly took his life in an Italian rally.

The outing came during a four-day Ford WRC test on streets between Reims and Paris. Neither the team nor management of Kubica has commented over the matter.

Kubica has been out of action in Formula 1 since the Skoda rally car he was driving was impaled by a metal roadside barrier during a high-speed accident. Just days earlier in Valencia, the Pole had set the fastest time for Renault in pre-season F1 testing.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282980/kubica-drives-ford-rally-car-in-france/

I highly doubt he'll be able to compete in F1 again.

NHale

Raikkonen to McLaren.

He has a opt-in clause on his actual contract that are tied to objectives to reach during this season and apparently only a complete disaster would mean they are not achieved.

So if McLaren wants him, they would have to reach an agreement with Lotus.

Adamm

Just hearing the news about Hamilton to Mercedes now.

Clearly he isn't happy at McLaren & just wants out. I cant see any other reason to leave McLaren for Mercedes.

(If its all true that is)

I'm not sure they have any other choice but to go after Kimi. He's far and away the best option. Sure it's going to cost them, but trotting out Jenson as your #1 is definitely not ideal. I like him, I think he's a good driver, but at best he'll be the 5th quickest guy out there behind the #1s of the other top teams.

It's hard to believe that neither McLaren nor Ferrari have suitable replacements. Two of the best seats in the world, and they could go to a couple of stray cats. di Resta and a re-signed Massa would be lame ducks before the ink even dried.

Pay whatever Lotus wants to put Kimi in Silver. Force Pérez at gunpoint to sign with Red.

Ark

I'm not sure they have any other choice but to go after Kimi. He's far and away the best option. Sure it's going to cost them, but trotting out Jenson as your #1 is definitely not ideal. I like him, I think he's a good driver, but at best he'll be the 5th quickest guy out there behind the #1s of the other top teams.

Recruiting Di Resta as a rookie and slapping Button down as number one driver will only do good things for McLaren. In my opinion.

A McLaren car built around Button? Colour me interested.

Recruiting Di Resta as a rookie and slapping Button down as number one driver will only do good things for McLaren. In my opinion.

A McLaren car built around Button? Colour me interested.

That seems to be the most likely thing to happen, so we'll see. The competition is so stiff right now. Like I said, I'm not sure that pairing will bring enough speed.

Jenson is a obviously a great team guy though. I think McLaren would certainly benefit from a drama-free garage with him at the tiller.

Ark

That seems to be the most likely thing to happen, so we'll see. The competition is so stiff right now. Like I said, I'm not sure that pairing will bring enough speed.

Jenson is a obviously a great team guy though. I think McLaren would certainly benefit from a drama-free garage with him at the tiller.

Considering the last two times McLaren won any titles were when they had a good driver & rookie setup, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, just for McLaren's sake.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102245

"My engine is fine, no problem or damage, so now we have another fresh engine compared to [my] main rivals.

"It's not a big performance gain, but it is always nice from a driveability point of view."

Bet his engine fails during Monza now.

xptoxyz

Seems like a weird move, if true wouldn't be surprised it's a salary based decision.

Also he'll probably never get the F1 LM.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Don't rate Di Resta at all. He was out performed by Sutil last year and again this year by Hulkenburg.
He seems to have the same attitude as Hamilton, if McLaren were looking for a clean slate I would go for Perez.
Him and Button have similar driving styles and are easy on tyres. If McLaren designed a car around this, both could do great things together!

Ark

Yep, typical Maldonado.

It's quite impressive how someone can keep making such silly mistakes. He's impressively awful.

Going back to Hamilton & Mercedes; isn't Hamilton on really good terms with Haug? Also I'm sure it'll be nice working for a boss that doesn't send all his love to the other side of the garage.

Don't rate Di Resta at all. He was out performed by Sutil last year and again this year by Hulkenburg.
He seems to have the same attitude as Hamilton, if McLaren were looking for a clean slate I would go for Perez.
Him and Button have similar driving styles and are easy on tyres. If McLaren designed a car around this, both could do great things together!

Perez likely has something Ferrari related going on in the background, at least I'd think so.

Also Di Resta is only two points behind the Hulk with 8 races to go, anything can happen.

EDIT: A possible solution is Rosberg to McLaren and Di Resta to partner Hamilton. THAT would certainly shake things up.

mblitek

It's hard to believe that neither McLaren nor Ferrari have suitable replacements. Two of the best seats in the world, and they could go to a couple of stray cats. di Resta and a re-signed Massa would be lame ducks before the ink even dried.

Pay whatever Lotus wants to put Kimi in Silver. Force Pérez at gunpoint to sign with Red.

Boom! Nailed it in my opinion!

McLaren needs a headline act, Lotus needs cash, di Resta still a little questionable in my books (?), who goes to Ferrari is a big question though.

I completely avoided this thread after the race...It was pretty bad gents! Not your finest "hour" :|

EDIT:
EDIT: A possible solution is Rosberg to McLaren and Di Resta to partner Hamilton. THAT would certainly shake things up.

Damn that would! Rosberg has always had the ability to blueprint a car's capability in my opinion. He's just never had anything consistent though.

Did anybody see Circuit of the Americas is charging $200 for a parking pass to the Austin F1 race? This seems outrageously high. How does this compare to other races.

I may decide to sell my pair of tickets because I'm afraid this will cost me a lot more than I expected.

Wow. If Hamilton really moves to Merc that would certainly shake up a few teams.

Also, How has Maldonado not had his license revoked yet? I hope that rumor about him losing funding is true. He really needs to go.

Chris R

Did anybody see Circuit of the Americas is charging $200 for a parking pass to the Austin F1 race? This seems outrageously high. How does this compare to other races.

I may decide to sell my pair of tickets because I'm afraid this will cost me a lot more than I expected.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to split one :( $100 for 3 days to not need to worry about (or wait in line for hours ) for a shuttle isn't that bad really.

thefro

It is outrageously high... parking for the Indy 500 is $20 and you can even camp with a RV for $40. I assume the NASCAR event prices are pretty similar.

Who cares about real F1?

Bonus question is OUT

http://www.f1racemanager.com/bonusquestion.asp

Answer. Anyone?

Regarding Hamilton - Why do everyone acts like its confirmed? This is just a rumor, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton's managers paid him few K's to say that so they can have an upper hand in the negotiations

I didn't read everything on the internet yet, so I might change my stance in a bit :p

EDIT:
Benetton

navanman

Regarding Hamilton - Why do everyone acts like its confirmed? This is just a rumor, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton's managers paid him few K's to say that so they can have an upper hand in the negotiations

I didn't read everything on the internet yet, so I might change my stance in a bit :p
Its the fact that the BBC are reporting it and Eddie Jordan in particular that is giving this rumour some legs. Its was Eddie who broke the news that Schumacher was coming back to F1 a month before others heard it/officially announced.

Its the fact that the BBC are reporting it and Eddie Jordan in particular that is giving this rumour some legs. Its was Eddie who broke the news that Schumacher was coming back to F1 a month before others heard it/officially announced.

Eddie broke so many news that didn't happen also.

I've read some news now, I still think its just a rumor. Why move to Mercedes if they themselves are thinking of reducing their involvement in the sport. And for Mercedes itself, Schumacher is more valuable for marketing purposes than Hamilton. Unless Hamilton would cost them less than 8 mil? Which is highly unlikely.

I just don't see any sense. But again, F1 one is not always about what makes sense :)

my F1 fantasy update

I downgraded chassis from Lotus to McLaren. I hope this pays off. and Engine from Williams to Sauber. Can't see Prupose scoring any points till the end of the season and Senna is just plain crap (not really but I'm pissed off coz they hurt my game a lot)

Drivers are Kimi and Glock. Next update I'm going to pour all my resources to update from Glock. Maybe Kova

Strong/stupid words from Hamilton. Strike as you like

“The life I have had has been very controlled and I am taking control of it,” he said.

“I am allowing myself to get who I am out, rather than the corporate McLaren driver some people want you to be.”

Just playing the devil's advocate. Hamilton said before the break that the decision will be taken in the break. We've heard nothing but Macca's management assuring that he'll stay and saying on Hamilton's behalf that he surely wants to stay.

Hamilton never came out saying I want to stay with Macca (I could be wrong here). Mercedes rumors surfaces out of nowhere. Kimi didn't confirm his Lotus 2013 stay (last two contracts Kimi signed his deals/extensions by August), Schumi keeps postponing his decision taking deadline. EB keep refuting rumors that Kimi is leaving, Kimi never denies anything, Ferrari almost guaranteed Massa's departure..aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Silly season at full swing my head will explode..

Dead Man

It's quite impressive how someone can keep making such silly mistakes. He's impressively awful.

Going back to Hamilton & Mercedes; isn't Hamilton on really good terms with Haug? Also I'm sure it'll be nice working for a boss that doesn't send all his love to the other side of the garage.

What?

The conspiracy stories are so crazy. Why should Mclaren waste so much money just to sabotage Hamilton? It makes no sense - the same thing with Webber and his fans.

Lach

Strong/stupid words from Hamilton. Strike as you like

Hamilton never came out saying I want to stay with Macca (I could be wrong here). Mercedes rumors surfaces out of nowhere. Kimi didn't confirm his Lotus 2013 stay (last two contracts Kimi signed his deals/extensions by August), Schumi keeps postponing his decision taking deadline. EB keep refuting rumors that Kimi is leaving, Kimi never denies anything, Ferrari almost guaranteed Massa's departure..aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well after two seasons whithout any larger shifts/changes (none when it comes to the big three) I welcome it.
The tension is killing me

NHale

Kimi's contract includes an automatic extension for 2013 if the team reaches some performance objectives (most likely related to WCC position and/or WCC points). According to everyone in the paddock those objectives are very close to be reached so that's why no one talks about Kimi's situation in 2013.

Of course every contract can be broken, you just have to show up with some cash.

Pimpwerx

Congrats to Zanardi. One of my favorite CART drivers.

As for the silly season stuff, I'm glad Lewis is considering other options. McLaren is frustrating to support. They can't give him a consistent car and have botched too many races for him.

While the Merc isn't a great car this season, anything can change next year. Aren't there some new tech regs coming in? Perhaps Brawn can come up with some new loophole-exploiting design and give Lewis a solid car. Plus, I'd love to see Lewis paired with Brawn's race strategies.

Also to be considered is that he's now driving for the works/factory team. McLaren buying their engines from his team means he should be able to get a car with power at least comparable to what McLaren puts on the road.

Most-importantly, Lewis deserves a big payday. Still the best driver on the grid IMO, and should be paid as such. Getting proper exposure and marketing can only mean more for his personal brand. He's not winning another championship the way Macca is going, so time to change things up.

I'd rather he went to Red Bull or Ferrari, but Fonzo wouldn't allow him at the Scuderia, and I assume Red Bull is pretty content with their driver lineup as well. If he can lift Mercedes to a championship, it would be glorious. I guess I can once again support the Silver Arrows. PEACE.

Jake on the rumors:

I personally can see the benefit of Merc for Lewis. I think McLaren are a race team, Merc are a huge global brand, I can see the attraction.

Remember, these decisions aren't always as simple as who designs the quickest car, there are many more factors to consider.

And if nothing else, the rumour might have created panic at McLaren HQ & they could shift a few more $ in Lewis direction as a consequence.

However, without doubt McLaren now have the quickest car, LH knows the team, they are winners & a gr8 race team. All of those things matter!

If I was Lewis, I think I'd give it a go elsewhere. New faces, new challenges. As my old boss once said 'never sit in the comfy chair'...

However, currently it's all whisper and rumour. @LewisHamilton has pros working for him, they know what they're doing. Let's wait and see...

jey_16

Banned
Hamilton moving to Mercedes would be great, hopefully one day we see him in a Ferrari. Schumi for a farewell season in red makes sense if it's true that Vettel is signed for 2014, no young driver would sign a one year contract. If vettel stays at red bull, they have to go for Perez.

It's good to see some driver moves at the top, it was getting a bit boring

bud23

I want Perez to stick with Sauber for another year. They've been inconsistent and had bad luck but they have a fast car. Plus he's be the clear second driver at Ferrari.

I think so, the own Sergio spoke about it 5 days ago."The possibility to go to Ferrari it´s open","I have no hurry to go to Ferrari, if I keep at Sauber,I will be fine"

navanman

English press saying he has been offered 60M contract by Mercedes. Its crazy how all this is playing out. If its all a rouse by Hamilton and his new management team to get more money and control it could well work.

I can see why he would leave, he doesn't like the heavy amount of PR McLaren insist on and he doesn't get to keep the trophies from his wins or podiums. They stay with McLaren.

kharma45

my F1 fantasy update

I downgraded chassis from Lotus to McLaren. I hope this pays off. and Engine from Williams to Sauber. Can't see Prupose scoring any points till the end of the season and Senna is just plain crap (not really but I'm pissed off coz they hurt my game a lot)

Drivers are Kimi and Glock. Next update I'm going to pour all my resources to update from Glock. Maybe Kova

I'm waiting on the £5m for the bonus question before I do anything. Not sure whether to stick with D'Ambrosio or not for my driver, I could go Di Resta in the hope that the Mercedes engine in the FI does well this weekend but not sure yet.

Top Bottom