• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

I highly doubt the BBC got to choose which races they'd be broadcasting live. Bernie and Sky did everything, I'm amazed people are surprised, we've known this since pre-season.

They took turns choosing races, under the condition that a handful of races (Silverstone, Monaco...) were 'protected'.

Something flys off Massa's helmet, Ferrari reveal it was the part of the helmet that was hindering his performance. HERE COMES MASSA.
Potentially fake

Dilly

Banned
He had an unbelievable run of good luck and non-issues that it was bound to catch up with him. Luckily he still has a lead in the championship

24 points which probably reduce to next to nothing. Monza is a track where the Ferrari performs well so they should've capitalised on getting those points.

Wouldn't be surprised if Grosjean's stunt was the turning point for Alonso's WC chances, it's not like the Ferrari is the best all-round car.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Can we read anything from RBR poor pace today or is the usual Friday thing?
Anyone have their ultimate straight line speed or timing splits compared to McLaren or Ferrari.

Dilly

Banned
Anyone have their ultimate straight line speed or timing splits compared to McLaren or Ferrari.

Considering Vettel's mistakes during FP2, I don't think he's happy with how the car is handling.

Ark

Since when does McLaren have to use their own engines? Mercedes will continue to "give" the same exact engines to 2 other teams on the grid.

McLaren have to start purchasing their engines from Mercedes starting next year (or 2014, but I think it's next year) instead of receiving them for free. It's totally possible for McLaren to start building their own F1 engines, I guess it'll depend on whether or not Mercedes decides to stay in the game for the long haul.

They took turns choosing races, under the condition that a handful of races (Silverstone, Monaco...) were 'protected'.

Ah okay, that clears it up.

Todt looking to cut costs by one third until 2015.

Costs are my main objective, because they must be lowered by a further 30 per cent in the next three years, otherwise we'll lose several teams," Todt said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Formula 1 must be a business for everyone with balances in the black for the teams. Nowadays [that is] so for only two or three teams perhaps.

"But we are getting to a conclusion with the Concorde Agreement, after tense discussions and common objectives.

"From 2014, with the new regulations and the turbo engine, we'll take a step forward towards the world we predict we'll live in.

"And maybe I'll manage to convince several engine manufacturers who are now in endurance racing or elsewhere into building engines for F1 too: Audi, Toyota, Porsche, the Koreans..."

Todt believes that fears that Mercedes could leave the sport have now been eased, with its team principal Ross Brawn also saying at Monza that he expected a deal to commit the German car manufacturer to F1 to now be imminent.

When asked about the possibility of Mercedes quitting, Todt said: "I don't think so. But we must do everything to keep it. Besides, it's just at the beginnings with being a global constructor."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102303

Wouldn't be surprised if Grosjean's stunt was the turning point for Alonso's WC chances, it's not like the Ferrari is the best all-round car.

I have the same concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes downhill from here on. He really needed that 40 point lead.

The car's slow in a straight line and without the blown diffuser they can't make up the time in the corners. They should probably install a long 7th gear overnight and hope for a few retirements on Sunday.

Omiee

McLaren have to start purchasing their engines from Mercedes starting next year (or 2014, but I think it's next year) instead of receiving them for free. It's totally possible for McLaren to start building their own F1 engines, I guess it'll depend on whether or not Mercedes decides to stay in the game for the long haul.

Ah okay, that clears it up.

Excactly their contract runs untill 2013. Mclaren has made some signales about them wanting to build their own egines and use them in F1.

But they could choose to just buy them from mercedes instead.

Omiee

Todt looking to cut costs by one third until 2015.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102303

I have the same concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes downhill from here on. He really needed that 40 point lead.

Man this thread can be weird sometimes. I remeber almost everyone hating last years season because vettel had a 60 point lead or what ever. Now people have nothing against alonso having a 40 point lead.

im glad he lost a lot of points. means the season will be more exciting now.

Man this thread can be weird sometimes. I remeber almost everyone hating last years season because vettel had a 60 point lead or what ever. Now people have nothing against alonso having a 40 point lead.

Vettel had it easy with the fastest car so it was boring. Is this season boring? Alonso is making it fun and it will be sweet to see him lose it very soon (hopefully)

Last season's DVD review is the only one I have that I didn't watch. That says a lot.

Omiee

Vettel had it easy with the fastest car so it was boring. Is this season boring? Alonso is making it fun and it will be sweet to see him lose it very soon (hopefully)

Last season's DVD review is the only one I have that I didn't watch. That says a lot.

You should, the bluray is pretty awesome.

This season is far from boring, neither was last years races boring. Championship was done but the races were awesome.

Risgroo

It's because we don't want Vettel to win, haha. Also, Alonso REALLY needed that buffer, as the Ferrari just isn't fast enough, while Vettel was dominating every race.

I realize the Vettel hate might be tiring for you, just don't take it too seriously. I simply don't like him because he was a threat in 2009, lol.

Omiee

It's because we don't want Vettel to win, haha. Also, Alonso REALLY needed that buffer, as the Ferrari just isn't fast enough, while Vettel was dominating every race.

I realize the Vettel hate might be tiring for you, just don't take it too seriously. I simply don't like him because he was a threat in 2009, lol.

Haha oke i get it. Yeah its not only tiring but unfair sometimes but ah well.

Ferrari have a pretty consistent good performing car. Its not the fastest but it does not have to be since its good in almost all conditions.

And i agree with most here that this is one of the most exciting season in recent memory

NHale

How on Earth was pre-Spa boring?

Goddamn, F1-GAF is infuriating sometimes. This might be the best F1 season in recent memory.

It was boring because Vettel was 40 points behind someone with a slower car. Everyone knows F1 is much more exciting when Vettel gets pole and leads every race from start to end while leading the championship with a 70 points advantage. C'mon it's common sense.

A >40 points lead is boring. Espencially because the Red Bull was in Spa not faster than Ferrari and Monza looks also not good with the weak Renault engines.

40 points is absolutely nothing in modern F1. Nothing. It's less than two wins.

What does the gap have to be for F1 to be exciting? No more than 10?

It was boring because Vettel was 40 points behind someone with a slower car. Everyone knows F1 is much more exciting when Vettel gets pole and leads every race from start to end while leading the championship with a 70 points advantage. C'mon it's common sense.

I don't believe you would enjoy a 40 points lead of Vettel and just 8 open races.

40 points is absolutely nothing in modern F1. Nothing. It's less than two wins.

What does the gap have to be for F1 to be exciting? No more than 10?

less than 25 points is a good start, so that the leader can't drive tactical.

This season is what everyone wanted, 2010 championship with 2011 style exciting races (race for the podium positions in 2011).

Also, Alonso wasn't dominating the season when he was leading, he won races and grabbed podium positions from working his way up the field. His first half performance is one of the best from a driver in recent history, the races have been anything but boring and the championship lead has been anything but stable so far.

Alonso doesn't have the luxury of having a dominant car which is almost guaranteed to win like Vettel last year, a 40 point lead is nothing.

I don't believe you would enjoy a 40 points lead of Vettel and just 8 open races.

less than 25 points is a good start, so that the leader can't drive tactical.

I think you're crazy. The points so far haven't dictated any races whatsoever. We've had more different winners than any other season ever. Every race bar one has been exciting. Great overtakes. Great fights. Great crashes.

This season has had it all. It amazes me how many people still bitch about Vettel winning a race or two, or Alonso leading by a few too many points, etc etc.

Omiee

This season is what everyone wanted, 2010 championship with 2011 style exciting races (race for the podium positions in 2011).

Also, Alonso wasn't dominating the season when he was leading, he won races and grabbed podium positions from working his way up the field. His first half performance is one of the best from a driver in recent history, the races have been anything but boring and the championship lead has been anything but stable so far.

Alonso doesn't have the luxury of having a dominant car which is almost guaranteed to win like Vettel last year, a 40 point lead is nothing.

Lets not get carried away now shall we. He won two races thats about it. One was pure luck because of weather conditions and the 2nd place driver making a mistake while chasing him down all race long.

Vettel's car was not guarenteerd to win, or else webber would have been much closer to vettel most of the season. He was on fire last year and made that car work.
Car was not the only reason he was performing.

And lets not act as if the ferrari is not quick as hell this year. its one of the most stable cars on the grid right now.

NHale

Lets not get carried away now shall we. He won two races thats about it. One was pure luck because of weather conditions and the 2nd place driver making a mistake while chasing him down all race long.

Are you sure about that?

Vettel's car was not guarenteerd to win, or else webber would have been much closer to vettel most of the season. He was on fire last year and made that car work.
Car was not the only reason he was performing.

And lets not act as if the ferrari is not quick as hell this year. its one of the most stable cars on the grid right now.

Ferrari is not quick as hell. They were probably the 7th fastest car on the grid early in the season, while after that they managed to go from fastest (only on wet track) to 4th fastest. McLaren now is quick as hell, Red Bull at Valencia was quick as hell. But if they are so superior, please tell me which race did they dominate from start to finish (or at least showed the pace to dominate like Lotus did so many races so far).

Orgun

Great video. I really liked the Eau Rouge shot.

That's my favourite shot from the video, I had to force my iPhone through the wire fence and hold it in a death grip so I didn't lose it :D I wish I could have gotten there during the F1 but it was packed. There isn't much space there and a lot of it is taken up with a bar (Bratwurst in bread for 3 euro).

What a circle jerk here

It's so hard to understand that "just" a 24 (Webber 32 points, Raikkönnen 33 points) points lead is better for the F1 than a 40 points (Vettel 42 and Raikkönnen 48 points)?

Does anyone actually hate Vettel?

well, it's okay to call him a cunt (last race) or other things... from this to hate it's not a big jump anymore.

Massa should take Alonso out in the first chicane for some epic drama in Monza :p

Amen to that.

Ferraris looking very strong just like in Spa. If Alonso wasn't taken out I suspect he would've pushed that McLaren really hard. 2nd place was almost guaranteed.

Just see how he'll shine this weekend. He will ruin next week for me..

Does anyone actually hate Vettel? I really cant see any reason why some one could.

But like a lot of people I would prefer that he didn't win any races for a while

Vettel's great. Always charming in his interviews and a great driver.

People don't like drivers dominating, which is fair enough. This year now that he has to fight for each win I don't care if he wins because it was entertaining and not a common thing.

He's one of my favourite drivers easily, he's just has the misfortune of winning a championship twice in a row (one of which he barely won, so really he's only dominated a season).

this trumps Webber's wheelie

377574_281539781958646_1180659853_n.jpg

IIRC, Webber also made an Eu Rouge pass on Alonso last year right?

So many similarities

EDIT: Grosjean's first lap incidents

UK only :( .. is there a way to watch it?

Top Bottom