• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

What a circle jerk here

It's so hard to understand that "just" a 24 (Webber 32 points, Raikkönnen 33 points) points lead is better for the F1 than a 40 points (Vettel 42 and Raikkönnen 48 points)?

The points race mid-season is nothing but a minor side attraction. It really doesn't mean anything at all. It certainly doesn't change the way people drive. These guys are flat-out all the time.

I usually just wait until 5 races to go before I even pay attention to points. Obviously, it's completely fine if you view it differently, but I don't think most people put a ton of stock into it at this stage. It's just too fluid a situation. It doesn't project how it will be at the end of the season when it really counts.

The points race mid-season is nothing but a minor side attraction. It really doesn't mean anything at all. It certainly doesn't change the way people drive. These guys are flat-out all the time.

I usually just wait until 5 races to go before I even pay attention to points. Obviously, it's completely fine if you view it differently, but I don't think most people put a ton of stock into it at this stage. It's just too fluid a situation. It doesn't project how it will be at the end of the season when it really counts.

The fact that Button thinks he still has a chance to win the title only confirms this.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What did Schumi get banned for in 1994? Cheating (that onboard system he had?)?

They had fun year at Benetton:
- using launch control and breaking the rules on electronic aids.
- turning Verstappen in BBQ due to overclocked flow of fuel at refueling rig
- overtaking in UK GP and ignoring black flag (DSQ + 2 race ban)
- too much wear on the skidblock in Spa (DSQ)
- torpedoing Hill in the last race and winning the championship

EDIT: beaten like stray dog

Lucius86

Banned
Right gents, I have uploaded a few of my photos from Spa here, but here are a taster of a few shots I got. Some of my best were not in F1, but the crowds were too packed to get really nice shots.

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0268%20(2).jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

dubc35

Interview with Martin Whitmarsh on F1.com. Nothing too surprising; it's about what I expect him to say regardless of if he knows Lewis is leaving.

Q: So what about Lewis turning his back on McLaren and heading for Mercedes?
MW: Personally, I would doubt it.

Q: Why?
MW: Because he knows that the best place for him is at McLaren. I think it is a bit of titillation in the media.

Q: Is it really only down to that?
MW: Yes.
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/9/13765.html

Right gents, I have uploaded a few of my photos from Spa here, but here are a taster of a few shots I got. Some of my best were not in F1, but the crowds were too packed to get really nice shots.
Sweet, I'll check them out when I get home!

Igo

I saw someone mention a rear wing controvery regarding Lewis at Spa earlier on autosport. Any idea what that's about?

Ark

I saw someone mention a rear wing controvery regarding Lewis at Spa earlier on autosport. Any idea what that's about?

No controversy, just fanboys being fanboys.

Lewis opted for the old rear-wing after practise while Jenson preferred the new rear-wing. Ultimately, Hamilton was losing around 0.4 tenths to Button on the straights alone because of it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No controversy, just fanboys being fanboys.

Lewis opted for the old rear-wing after practise while Jenson preferred the new rear-wing. Ultimately, Hamilton was losing around 0.4 tenths to Button on the straights alone because of it.

And Lewis posted some of his telemetry (overlay with Button's) sheet on Twitter.

Ark

I may go to Le Man next year, depends on what happens between now and January. May end up going in 2014 though when Peugeot are supposed to return.

ANDY_098

I may go to Le Man next year, depends on what happens between now and January. May end up going in 2014 though when Peugeot are supposed to return.

I plan to skip next year and return in 2014. Porsche will return that year also. Toyota, Audi, Porsche and Peugeot would be an amazing P1 line up.

DBT85

Other than Brazil, that's one shitty deal.

Sky must have insisted to have the exclusive on some of the bigger ones. :\

I highly doubt the BBC got to choose which races they'd be broadcasting live. Bernie and Sky did everything, I'm amazed people are surprised, we've known this since pre-season.

Weighing in a little late here but here is the full explanation.

Under the agreement they signed with each other, the BBC got to pick the first 3 races that they wanted to cover. Then SKY got their turn choosing 3 exclusive races. This continued until they were all done.

In the BBCs first pick they chose Silverstone, Monaco and Brazil. All perfectly understandable choices. They would be lynched if they didn't get Silverstone, Monaco is a big one for numbers, and the championship has been decided at Interlagos often over the years.

One known rule was that neither could have 3 consecutive races. The BBC also had to think about the Euros this year which coincided with Canada. Also at the time there was plenty of speculation that the Austin race wouldn't happen and we didn't know what would happen with Bahrain.

The BBC couldn't have Monza since they already had Spa and Singapore, and you can't have 3 consecutive races.

AAequal

Banned
Glad to see Lotus found their speed on straights. I hope Kimi gets everything right during the qualis, those Larens seem awfully fast again, you don't want to be to far from them if you intend to win.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Kubica says he would like to return to F1 in 2014 but is unsure if he physically can at the moment.

Xun

I've got to find a way to watch qualifying and the race here in Minorca (I'm on holiday).

Hopefully bars will show it...

Business

I've got to find a way to watch qualifying and the race here in Minorca (I'm on holiday).

Hopefully bars will show it...

I woudn't worry, just find one with a TV and they will show it. It's on both TV3 and Antena3 if you should ask the owner.

It really looks like another race for McLaren. RBR don't look like they're sandbagging and Ferrari are nowhere to be seen. Literally. The hell is up with that?

Schumacher's Mercedes really seems to be the most unreliable car on the grid. He's without KERS now.

e: Webber too, surprising no one.

e2:
And Alonso on P1. I never get Ferrari.

Top Bottom