• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Adamm

Rain forecast for the weekend? Race might actually be red flagged because of the glare from the lights no?

Every year there is always rumor of rain & it never comes.

And every year is discussed what will happen if it does rain. But I really hope it does - just to see what will happen - it will be chaos if it happens during the race.

Jensen

Hopefully not, but you're probably right.

Also Jake is a bit of a prat for doing this in my opinion, because I can't see it benefiting him much at all.

His career won't progress properly.
He is going to present coverage of the sport that is the most popular in the UK and one he has always seemed more interested in also he does not have to travel around the world which is probably the most important thing to him about.to be a father. I can understand why he has left a job presenting a sport that the BBC hasn't been fully committed to.

f0rk

He is going to present coverage of the sport that is the most popular in the UK and one he has always seemed more interested in also he does not have to travel around the world which is probably the most important thing to him about.to be a father. I can understand why he has left a job presenting a sport that the BBC hasn't been fully committed to.

I think the travel is a very valid point, but if the BBC dropped F1 he would definitely still have a job. He was on for the Olympics a lot.
Football is always desirable for sports presenters, but it's a risky move given there's a high chance the BT coverage will tank and then he'll be stranded.

Adamm

Hopefully not, but you're probably right.

Also Jake is a bit of a prat for doing this in my opinion, because I can't see it benefiting him much at all.

His career won't progress properly.

Apart from F1 there isn't really anything else for him to do on BBC & he knows it.

During the olympics he was normally on BBC3 covering less popular sports, any football coverage he has done has been obscure games when Gary Lineker & Co are at a more important match. The only thing he has been main host of is Womans football & the superbowl.

He knows that if/when F1 goes, he will go back to being a guest presenter on Football Focus.
I'd love him to stay, but I cant really blame him for leaving.

What I want to know though, Did sky not want him for their F1 coverage? They stole near everyone else, why not him? Or did he turn it down because of the Olympics?
Because at the moment one of Sky's biggest weaknesses with thier coverage is Simon Lazenby, why did they not go for the ready made replacement?

Ark

What I want to know though, Did sky not want him for their F1 coverage? They stole near everyone else, why not him? Or did he turn it down because of the Olympics?
Because at the moment one of Sky's biggest weaknesses with thier coverage is Simon Lazenby, why did they not go for the ready made replacement?

He most likely wanted to stamp his name on the Olympics, even if it was mostly on BBC3. Also I'd bet my hat he didn't go to Sky because he saw the fan outburst and knew that it would never take off for Sky. Turns out that was a smart move.

Sky's biggest weakness with their F1 coverage is that they tried to copy the BBC, which was never possible.

I kinda doubt Jake's impending baby is unplanned, given that he's currently away for a large part of the year.

He and his partner will likely have discussed this scenario many times since he took the F1 job, and they would have known that signing for Sky would have delayed their plans even further - as there's little chance they would have offered him a 1 year deal.

From what I understand, his BT deal isn't exclusive, so he'll likely be freelancing for other broadcasters (even the BBC) over the course of the contract.

Shaneus

Old, but this is pretty damn funny
KuGsj.gif

Xun

Apart from F1 there isn't really anything else for him to do on BBC & he knows it.

During the olympics he was normally on BBC3 covering less popular sports, any football coverage he has done has been obscure games when Gary Lineker & Co are at a more important match. The only thing he has been main host of is Womans football & the superbowl.

He knows that if/when F1 goes, he will go back to being a guest presenter on Football Focus.
I'd love him to stay, but I cant really blame him for leaving.

To me going to BT seems like a step in the wrong direction, but I guess if he's freelance it'll probably work out for him.

“Soon you’ll all know where I will be driving next year,” Alguersuari posted on Twitter on Thursday. “Thank you all again.”

To date, the 22-year-old has been tipped to join either Sauber or Caterham. This could hinge on whether Sergio Pérez or Heikki Kovalainen switches to Ferrari.

Ohhh, finally!

And Alonso on that matter:

“If the team does decide to change Felipe, then whoever replaces him would have to be better than him,” Alonso said in Singapore on Thursday. “I have worked with him for three years and we have a very good relationship. Recently I’ve heard and seen lots of names but I don’t know whether they have been written from the head or heart…

“With any of these names you have, you must compare what Felipe has achieved in Formula 1 with what they have done…we need to respect the team’s decision, but I do think that any driver would also have to respect Ferrari and its traditions.”

Mastah

Alonso is scared Ferrari brings someone that might actually challenge him. That would explain why he doesn't want Perez at Ferrari.

Let's put it this way: whoever will be driving in the second Ferrari in 2013, will have to sign a contract saying he accepts being No 2 to Alonso. That's why Perez refused it, hence he's "too inexperienced" in di Montezemolo eyes. "Experienced enough" = being a lapdog.

Sad and harsh reality of F1.

Let's put it this way: whoever will be driving in the second Ferrari in 2013, will have to sign a contract saying he accepts being No 2 to Alonso. That's why Perez refused it, hence he's "too inexperienced" in di Montezemolo eyes. "Experienced enough" = being a lapdog.

Looks like Monisha is on Ferrari's payroll too.

Experience key for Sergio Perez if he is to deliver for Ferrari, says Sauber

Although that performance has renewed speculation that he could be on his way to Ferrari next season, Kaltenborn thinks there are still areas that the Mexican needs to improve.

"We mustn't forget that it is just his second season," Kaltenborn told AUTOSPORT when asked about the reasons for Perez's up-and-down campaign.

"I think what is very important is that he is a very talented driver, and has been from the beginning. That was the reason why we took him up, despite all the criticism we got.

"Then you have to give him the competitive tools because that is only where he can show things.

"Often the races were just spoiled by factors that were not under our control. So he is going through a learning curve: and that really tells you that if things are alright he can deliver these top performances.

"But he also makes mistakes; the team makes mistakes. It is a mix of everything. You still need a lot of experience to get to a very consistent and constant level."

Although Perez has finished on the podium three times this year - in Malaysia, Canada and Italy – he has also failed to score points in seven out of the 13 races.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102457[/QUOTE]

Leunam

Although Perez has finished on the podium three times this year - in Malaysia, Canada and Italy – he has also failed to score points in seven out of the 13 races.

Retired
11 - Fastest Lap
Retired
Retired

Could be way worse.

NHale

People in the paddock are implying for a while that what is blocking Perez from going to Ferrari is his relationship with Alonso. Apparently they aren't exactly friends and Alonso has the rights to block who is going to drive alongside him.

This situation reminds me of the Schumacher era, where he destroyed Barrichello psyche (the A1 Ring situation was completely unnecessary in the championship battle but it was another opportunity to show that Schumacher "owned" that team) so he never wanted Ferrari to get another guy to replace him until Barrichello jumped out.

To me, it sounds like Alonso is confortable with Massa because he knows he doesn't have the mentality or talent to challenge him. With Perez he's afraid of the possibility of him actually challenging him and becoming Hamilton 2.0.

Retired
11 - Fastest Lap
Retired
Retired

Could be way worse.

He makes mistakes but he's driving a Sauber not a McLaren. It's much easier to drive a error-free race when you have a car that allows you to be on the top 6 just by finishing the race. It's much harder when you have an agressive tactic and drive on the limit to get a place in the top 10.

While I don't believe we have seen enough of Perez to believe he has championship potential talent - unlike Kubica :( - he's proven that he has the talent to at least get a chance to drive for a top team. I don't understand Di Montezemelo because what is the worst it can happened with Perez? At worst he gives you a Massa-like type of performance. At best he shows that he can be a world champion.

Leunam

Agreed. Perez has certainly proven capable but I've softened to the idea of him moving to the prancing horse. If Vettel has signed a 2014 deal for Ferrari, then I'd rather see Perez go somewhere else. I'd hate for him to be there for only one year and then be dropped due to previous dealings.

He makes mistakes but he's driving a Sauber not a McLaren. It's much easier to drive a error-free race when you have a car that allows you to be on the top 6 just by finishing the race. It's much harder when you have an agressive tactic and drive on the limit to get a place in the top 10.

While I don't believe we have seen enough of Perez to believe he has championship potential talent - unlike Kubica :( - he's proven that he has the talent to at least get a chance to drive for a top team. I don't understand Di Montezemelo because what is the worst it can happened with Perez? At worst he gives you a Massa-like type of performance. At best he shows that he can be a world champion.

He's driving a Sauber, exactly. And these days it's expected that they finish in the points. So anything else is seen as a failure.

I agree with the rest of the post, though. Perez would at worst drive like Massa and even then, he probably would've scored the team more points.

Mastah

Looks like Monisha is on Ferrari's payroll too.

"I've seen a lot of names written, and I don't know if they have been written with the head or the heart.

"With all the names you hear, if you compare what Felipe has done in Formula 1 and what these little names have done in Formula 1..."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102663

Little names:

-Rosberg
-di Resta
-Hulkenberg
-Perez
-Kovalainen

Yes, Massa is better than them (and all other drivers not connected with Ferrari seat, since they also achieved nothing so far) and I absolutely believe in what teams and drivers are saying to the press. It's not like anyone is using press for political reasons (Mansell and Piquet...), right?

We have fans and press lambasting Massa after almost each race, yet when potential replacements are called inexperienced little names it's sudenly true, just because Alonso and di Montezemolo said so, obviously without any agenda. Massa is better than for example Perez, because Massa achieved more than Perez so far. Of course it's not worth mentioning Massa had zero wins, zero poles, zero podiums and zero fastest laps before joining Ferrari, lost to Heidfeld and Fisichella and was known as Mr Inconsistent. It doesn't matter, because Hulkenberg and Perez (pole position, podiums, fastest lap already before joining top team) are inexperienced little names. Yeah.

Chris R

Looks like COTA might add another parking option, that being the airport not too far away from the track. For only ~$40 I think that might be the best option for me at least, because that would mean I don't have to fight my way into downtown Austin, and then most likely pay for parking there (yes the shuttle TO the track is free, but I'm betting the various parking authorities try to charge as much as they can just like the hotels!), and then take a long shuttle ride while waiting with a lot of other people. Just hope this option actually exists and isn't Ticketmaster just being dicks.

edit: looks like they go on sale on Monday. I know I'll be grabbing one for sure if they are the advertised price of $40 for the entire weekend including fees.

Little names:

-Rosberg
-di Resta
-Hulkenberg
-Perez
-Kovalainen

Yes, Massa is better than them (and all other drivers not connected with Ferrari seat, since they also achieved nothing so far) and I absolutely believe in what teams and drivers are saying to the press. It's not like anyone is using press for political reasons (Mansell and Piquet...), right?

We have fans and press lambasting Massa after almost each race, yet when potential replacements are called inexperienced little names it's sudenly true, just because Alonso and di Montezemolo said so, obviously without any agenda. Massa is better than for example Perez, because Massa achieved more than Perez so far. Of course it's not worth mentioning Massa had zero wins, zero poles, zero podiums and zero fastest laps before joining Ferrari, lost to Heidfeld and Fisichella and was known as Mr Inconsistent. It doesn't matter, because Hulkenberg and Perez (pole position, podiums, fastest lap already before joining top team) are inexperienced little names. Yeah.
That's exactly the guy Ferrari are looking for.

Someone's whose already been beaten down by a superior teammate. Someone whose aspirations of being WDC have already been squashed. Someone whose interest has already shifted from fulfilling childhood dreams to career survival.

It's tough too because the whole grid is made up of either World Champions or starry eyed kids. I think that's why you'd have to call Kovalainen the front runner for the seat, if they actually do replace Massa.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
That image is crazy. It looks like his arm got sliced right down the middle.
Its amazing that he has made the recovery he has today.

“Soon you’ll all know where I will be driving next year,” Alguersuari posted on Twitter on Thursday. “Thank you all again.”

To date, the 22-year-old has been tipped to join either Sauber or Caterham. This could hinge on whether Sergio Pérez or Heikki Kovalainen switches to Ferrari.

Gutiérrez and Alguersuari at Sauber. Perez to Ferrari. Kobayashi returns to work in his father's restaurant.

TCRS

Banned
Just saw this in the funny pic thread:

hornoxe.com_gifdump12_3.gif

And I'm sad about Jake leaving :/ F1 with him, DC and Eddie on BBC was the best thing ever.

pants

Just saw this in the funny pic thread:

http://gifdumps.hornoxe.com/gifdump12/hornoxe.com_gifdump12_3.gif[img]

And I'm sad about Jake leaving :/ F1 with him, DC and Eddie on BBC was the best thing ever.[/QUOTE]

Would love to see a slower version of this

Gutiérrez and Alguersuari at Sauber. Perez to Ferrari. Kobayashi returns to work in his father's restaurant.

Just can't see that happening now given how adamant Ferrari have been that he isn't ready. It would be a PR nightmare trying to turn that around - especially if Perez went on to have a difficult year next year (in a Ferrari).

Ark

Just can't see that happening now given how adamant Ferrari have been that he isn't ready. It would be a PR nightmare trying to turn that around - especially if Perez went on to have a difficult year next year (in a Ferrari).

Ferrari, and especially LdM should never be trusted to stick to whatever statements they make in public. If they followed up on everything they spout in the media, Ferrari would have left F1 thirty years ago.

Pimpwerx

If Perez is faster, or as fast as Alonso, he will not have to give way. Massa may have been faster than Alonso over a halndful of races during their time together. That's not enough to break team orders. If Perez can stand on equal footing with Alonso, the way Lewis did at McLaren, then he'll make his case to have team orders in his favor. To think otherwise is naive. If Ferrari can get an Alonso-quality driver for a fraction of the cost, they'll take it.

That said, Perez is gonna get solidly owned by Alonso. I have no doubt in my mind. As a result, I don't even see him joining the team. Likewise, the rumors that Kov's manager was in Maranello sound like a smokescreen. Kovalainen always struck me as being slower than Massa. Maybe more consistent, but he's definitely slower. PEACE.

Top Bottom