• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Salacious Crumb

jokes aside. Was it Kimi's fault or a racing incident?

I have a biased opinion on that obviously. I was kinda pissed when Alonso pushed Kimi to the grass, but I think Kimi got fed up of being the "gentleman" (pushover) in these kind of encounters.

Was happy he held ground with Perez, but was extremely fair with Hamilton and backed off in the right moment

Racing incident. If you forced me to blame someone though, it would be Alonso.

I dont really see ferrari's position as bleak as you do. If you apply the "alonso factor" to massa's race he would have had a respectable 2nd, perhaps even challenged for the win. I think the ferrari had the 2nd best pace today, the mclarens never caught massa even though they had the entire race to do it.

2nd place is not good enough considering the difference between 1st and 2nd is 7 points. With a car that's a second slower in qualifying, there's not much they can do in the race to compete with the Red Bull. Alonso could maybe have pulled out laps that were half a second to a second faster than Massa and Vettel still would have confortable finished the race way ahead.

I would say half and half. Alonso pushed Kimi on the grass, Kimi didn't want to back off in the corner, Alonso twitched left and Kimi turned right and it worked out poorly for Alonso. I think both are good enough and level headed enough to not do anything dumb at starts, so it was just a racing incident.

Dead Man

lol.. Button's comments are really fun to hear/read

Fucking Alonso, what a fucking twat!! I just read his interview!!

Seriously, I don't care what he says about Kimi, it is surely frustrating. But to say that about Massa is just ridiculous! He drove well extremely well, and his car was fast enough, clearly faster than the Saubers and McLarens.

Just when I started liking him a bit, its moments like this that underlines why he's one of the worst WDCs on the grid

I don't think his comments are out of line. If there were no retirements, Massa would not have been second. He said Massa drove a perfect race, seems like he is just acknowledging the car is not as good as some others.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, Ferrari did bring new stuff on past races, but it did not work as they hope it would, so they reverted to older, proofed parts.

RBR is stepping development race in 2nd part of the season, as usual and they are impossible to stop. They even outperform Mclaren on the field of bringing new working parts.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also, Mclaren is turning into complete mess - Lewis just do not care anymore (and decide on very bad setup), Jenson is haunted by gearbox gremlins and pitwall is in the dark. Only bright spot is the fastest pit stop crew (2.5 seconds).

Shaneus

I really hope they get rid of Grosjean. Maybe Petrov could get a drive in his place despite a lack of backing from certain Russian businesses.

AAequal

Banned
I really hope they keep kobayashi
Even tho I think he is overrated, I think he is safe. There is possibility that Massa leaves Ferrari and take his seat but I doubt that happens. Other possibility is that Sauber needs cash and takes two sponsor magnets.

Timbuktu

Also, Mclaren is turning into complete mess - Lewis just do not care anymore (and decide on very bad setup), Jenson is haunted by gearbox gremlins and pitwall is in the dark. Only bright spot is the fastest pit stop crew (2.5 seconds).

They have given up, no real will to fight anymore this season. It's sad to see another season go down the drain when they could have and should have done so much better.

Jesus Christ the doom and gloom! McLaren have won three of the last five races, and would've handily won in Singapore if not for mechanical failure. People have the shortest memories in this thread.

Ark

Hamilton was around a second slower than Button because he went the wrong way with setup and he still managed to bring it home in 5th from 9th on the grid, and people are saying McLaren isn't trying anymore?

Come on.

The Ferrari had the second best car this sunday - better than the Mclaren. I don't why people are calling the car rubbish. The Ferrari was also in the last races never that worse than the Red Bull (who were in the other races slower than the Mclaren) or sometimes even better (see Monza).

It looks like some people are preparing an excuse if Alonso will not win the championship already.

Racing incident. If you forced me to blame someone though, it would be Alonso.

I would say half and half. Alonso pushed Kimi on the grass, Kimi didn't want to back off in the corner, Alonso twitched left and Kimi turned right and it worked out poorly for Alonso. I think both are good enough and level headed enough to not do anything dumb at starts, so it was just a racing incident.

I think so too. Good for the championship, but it's a shame to be taken out of two races in the first corner

I don't think his comments are out of line. If there were no retirements, Massa would not have been second. He said Massa drove a perfect race, seems like he is just acknowledging the car is not as good as some others.

I think they are very much, considering himself was extremely lucky in some circumstances whereby his colleague and other drivers came out full of praises. Slotting in "he drove a perfect race" to sound nice doesn't take out the general feel of bitterness. He should be happy especially that Massa was able to do some damage control otherwise Kimi and Hamilton would've been closer as well

It looks like some people are preparing an excuse if Alonso will not win the championship already.

It is exactly that. Ferrari has been one of the strongest cars on the grid for the last 6 races at least

Alonso himself admitted that in Monza IIRC where he said pole was going to be an easy thing to achive

ROFL!!

Didn't Grosjean cause a lot of incidents in 2009 as well?

EDIT: What's his tally now? 8 first lap incidents? There are 7 races he didn't score points.. and talking about scoring points..

ibdWrP9ZIhWf1e.jpg

Congratulations.. At last!!

jey_16

Banned
It is exactly that. Ferrari has been one of the strongest cars on the grid for the last 6 races at least

Alonso himself admitted that in Monza IIRC where he said pole was going to be an easy thing to achive

Only at Monza was the car quick due to the special package they had and even then he lost out due to the mechanical failure in q3, at all the other tracks the car has been off the pace

Shaneus

Thinking about it now, I'm actually beginning to think that Maldonado is actually learning from his mistakes. However, Maldonado's issue is/was that he was too aggressive but Grosjean's is that he has massive lapses of concentration and it never seems to get better.

Shit, Toro Rosso have a team of only first-year drivers with fuck-all F1 experience (Ricciardo having slightly more than Vergne w/ HRT last year) and have barely been involved in any (I think maybe two?), let alone ones that qualify as more than "racing incidents".

Jibbed

It's easy to laugh at his silly face, but let's see the uncropped photo.

"Grosjean's GF/wife*

A real challenger for hottest GF/wife.

...how the fuck?

Anyway, my thoughts:

Brilliant drive by Vettel, can't really fault him for anything. The way he caught the rest of the field napping at the restart instantly gave him a 1.5s lead so he was out of the DRS zone, for example. Very reminiscent of Schumacher in his 'golden age' at Ferrari, he just gets in that (bloody quick) Red Bull and does the job, nothing much else to say really.

I was impressed by Kamui's composure today, especially in the latter stages of the race. Had he been a bit more consistent before the last 10 laps or so, 2nd was definitely on the cards. Congratulations to him for the result anyway, solid driving to hold off Button. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't hold on to that Sauber seat for 2013 (the sponsors should come rolling in now!).

Massa... all I can say is "about time!" haha, he's such a nice guy off-track. By no means my favourite driver, but he's just so genuine and takes things as they come. His performance for the last three years has been questionable (more than enough to put his seat at risk), but flashes of brilliance (and more importantly, reliability as a driver) like this remind me why he's there in the first place. A small part of me wishes he'd actually won the championship in 2008, I'd love to see the difference in how things would have panned out between then and now. Also, Rob Smedley is a fucking legend.

And as for Webber / Grosjean, oh boy. I haven't laughed out loud at a driver's comments in a long time, Webber's "first-lap nutcase" quip had me almost in tears. I've really grown to love Webber as a personality and it's shit when the results don't come as they should. He deserved a podium at the very least today to make up for the last few races. Grosjean on the other hand... I agree with Webber (and the rest of the paddock it seems lol, Johnny Herbert wasn't holding back!), he needs to leave F1 before he gets someone killed. I don't doubt Grosjean's ability as a fast, capable racing driver, but his natural reactions and decision-making at the start of a race are just fucking scary. As Herbert aptly put, "It's not something you can fix. It really is quite worrying."

Edit: A bit more info on Nut-Case's wife (recently married!):

Marion Jolles, French TF1 presenter.

Caramello

lol.. Button's comments are really fun to hear/read

Fucking Alonso, what a fucking twat!! I just read his interview!!

Seriously, I don't care what he says about Kimi, it is surely frustrating. But to say that about Massa is just ridiculous! He drove well extremely well, and his car was fast enough, clearly faster than the Saubers and McLarens.

Just when I started liking him a bit, its moments like this that underlines why he's one of the worst WDCs on the grid (in terms of personality)

But everything he said was true?

Here's what James Allen had to say about Alonso's crash

James, with respect, Alonso was entirely the author of his crash here. He should be big enough to say so
In contrast Raikkonen always owns up to his mistakes. Uniquely.

James Allen Reply:
Yes, Alo is at fault for not making sure he came through the start unscathed

Got squeezed and Kimi did nothing wrong as far as I can see

Race starts are chaotic and it’s about making ground and staying out if trouble in equal measure, especially on a very narrow track like Suzuka

Jibbed

Just a quick opinion on the Alonso / Raikkonen crash.. I believe it was just one of those unavoidable race incidents you get on a track like this. Both drivers share the blame in this one.

Alonso either failed to realise Kimi was on his outside and didn't leave the appropriate room (he could've easily moved right a bit more), or he deliberately squeezed him to force a lift.

Kimi failed to lift when the situation was clearly heading south (the puncture-causing contact itself was made in the 'second stage' of the incident, I think some contact was made first before it damaged Alonso's car), and being that far on the outside of the track at Suzuka's first corner.. there's nothing to gain from being there anyway.

Caramello

No! Ferrari was the second fastest car in the race.

Even if it was, its not truth saying competition, its his childish/whiny attitude.

I disagree with you, although the Ferrari is certainly better than at the beginning of the year, the McLaren and Red Bull are easily out pacing it.

Everything that Alonso said in the quote you gave was absolutely true and at no point was any of it an attack on Massa. He said Massa drove a perfect race and that circumstances allowed him to achieve 2nd place. How can you disagree with that?

Just a quick opinion on the Alonso / Raikkonen crash.. I believe it was just one of those unavoidable race incidents you get on a track like this. Both drivers share the blame in this one.

Alonso either failed to realise Kimi was on his outside and didn't leave the appropriate room (he could've easily moved right a bit more), or he deliberately squeezed him to force a lift.

Kimi failed to lift when the situation was clearly heading south (the puncture-causing contact itself was made in the 'second stage' of the incident, I think some contact was made first before it damaged Alonso's car), and being that far on the outside of the track at Suzuka's first corner.. there's nothing to gain from being there anyway.

I agree although I think the reason Alonso moved was because Button moved over.. He moved too far that's for sure and I don't think Kimi is at fault at all here.

I disagree with you, although the Ferrari is certainly better than at the beginning of the year, the McLaren and Red Bull are easily out pacing it.

Everything that Alonso said in the quote you gave was absolutely true and at no point was any of it an attack on Massa. He said Massa drove a perfect race and that circumstances allowed him to achieve 2nd place. How can you disagree with that?

I agree although I think the reason Alonso moved was because Button moved over.. He moved too far that's for sure and I don't think Kimi is at fault at all here.

Well, I was watching the live timing and nither Button or Hamilton were at Massa's Pace, and it was clear that the Sauber couldn't catch or even get close to him. Kimi was slower than Hamilton. So where does that leave the Ferrari? Unless Massa was pulling some extra pace out of his ass, I have no answer to that! Keep in mind Massa is always slower than Alonso, so Alonso would've been able to be even quicker than Massa

Anyway, I'm not really disagreeing with what he said, he could be right or wrong I don't really care. But I hate his whining and finger pointing. He would never take the blame for his mistakes.

And before jumping and saying the incident wasn't his mistake. I'm not referring to this, I'm talking in general

EDIT: And I think after all the praise Massa throwing towards Alonso, I think it wouldn't harm to give some 'proper' credit to him as he has driven a wonderful race.

Is it me, or are her nipples positioned awkwardly?

Omiee

Could not watch it live but these were my thoughts on the race:

ALONSO OUT YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON VETTEL.

Fuck what happened to webber? Lets hope he can have an amazing race to end up in the points.

kimi almost took out perez lol.
Amazing restart from vettel or bad restart from koba?

Looking at the replay alonso had some bad luck, that was the lightest of touches.
fucking grosjean what the fuck are you doing in F1? how many first corner incident has this kid caused?

Good pace by vettel, he is just flying right now.
lol perez showing why mclaren made a bad descion. Lewis is much better than perez.

Where did massa get this form from? He is keeping the gap between him and vettel in check.

Webber P9, really hope ge can keep that point finish. So mad at grosjean for fucking up webber's podium finish.
race is pretty boring right now.
wauw kimi almost took out hamilton.

THATS MY BOY BABY, LOVE YOUUUUUU. BACK TO BACK WINNER. FIRST BACK TO BACK WINNER BABY. GAME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN.THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

won the race by a 20 second gap, thats that RBR form i was looking for.

What a race for koba and massa. Good to see massa on the podium again. And great race by koba. Im really liking this sauber form. They could have been battling with lotus if their drivers did not have some unfortunate crashes all year.

Thats a grand slam for vettel right? Pole, leading the whole race, the win and the fastest lap. He also moved to the 7th spot of total wins. He is has the same amount of race wins as niki lauda.

Neither McLaren, Lotus nor even the second Red Bull were faster than Massa over this race. That's fact. Massa was just fast and drove a great race not worse than Vettel or Kobayashi.

Caramello

Well, I was watching the live timing and nither Button or Hamilton were at Massa's Pace, and it was clear that the Sauber couldn't catch or even get close to him. Kimi was slower than Hamilton. So where does that leave the Ferrari? Unless Massa was pulling some extra pace out of his ass, I have no answer to that! Keep in mind Massa is always slower than Alonso, so Alonso would've been able to be even quicker than Massa

Anyway, I'm not really disagreeing with what he said, he could be right or wrong I don't really care. But I hate his whining and finger pointing. He would never take the blame for his mistakes.

And before jumping and saying the incident wasn't his mistake. I'm not referring to this, I'm talking in general

EDIT: And I think after all the praise Massa throwing towards Alonso, I think it wouldn't harm to give some 'proper' credit to him as he has driven a wonderful race.

Well as I said, he did say Massa drove a perfect race but I guess you don't like the fact that he added the extra bits.. Anyway the Alonso incident was his fault in my mind, he drove into Kimi but he couldn't really do anything else as Button seemed to be moving over quite quickly.

I think people are over estimating the Ferrari. 2nd fastest today but over a second slower than Vettel. Not even Alonso could pull out more than a second than what Massa was doing. A second slower in qualy for the last 2 races, how much do you wanna bet the car will still be over a second slower in Korea. The only way Alonso can win the WDC is to win races, unless there's 5 wet races coming up, it's Vettels to lose.

Omiee

Took the time to read the thread and man people are salty. Why the fuck is vettel lucky? The guy was leading the race with a big gap in valencia when his car gave up. He was on point for a podium finish if he did not have that crash with kartekeyen at Malaysia. He had a DNF at monza.

Also mclarten are not doomed, they have as many wins as rbr have this season.

Im just happy championship is so close now!!

RBR bringing new parts to korea and ferrari are stuck with their current car lol.

Well as I said, he did say Massa drove a perfect race but I guess you don't like the fact that he added the extra bits.. Anyway the Alonso incident was his fault in my mind, he drove into Kimi but he couldn't really do anything else as Button seemed to be moving over quite quickly.

Alonso had enough space, I don't know why there was no investigation of the incident.

I dunno. It just didn't feel right not to give full credit to your teammate when he does a good job. By what he said it's like Massa isn't good enough to pull that result. I know he meant the car, but still, he shouldn't have said that in my opinion. Not immediately after the race though

It felt like he's already making excuses for not winning the WDC

Alonso had enough space, I don't know why there was no investigation of the incident.

Well, as so many agree that it was a race incident. So if Lotus/Kimi didn't protest there won't be any investigation. Plus, Alonso retired so what can they do to him if it turned out that he was at fault

I think people are over estimating the Ferrari. 2nd fastest today but over a second slower than Vettel. Not even Alonso could pull out more than a second than what Massa was doing. A second slower in qualy for the last 2 races, how much do you wanna bet the car will still be over a second slower in Korea. The only way Alonso can win the WDC is to win races, unless there's 5 wet races coming up, it's Vettels to lose.

It was looking so good for him. He should've been more careful especially that he knows he doesn't have the car to insure wins in the coming races. I think he felt safe racing Kimi, as Kimi is known for not causing any collisions. Maybe he pushed it a bit too far.

He had a car that was easily a podium contender, and under his hands he could've been up there. The points gap wouldn't have looked as dangerous to his campaign.

No complains from my side. I don't want him to win it :) .. It'll be nice for Kimi to keep his status as the "last Ferrari WDC" .. :)

Top Bottom