• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

It did look like Webber slowed down a lot suddenly - he should know what can happen when you do that in front of another car.

The Alonso - Räikkönen incident could easily have ended up as another "Spa" with lots of cars involved.

Ark

A4xxrGdCIAERvLE.jpg:large

Grosjean visits America.

Korean Grand Prix!

tumblr_mbmvfgOTXa1rcc21no1_500.jpg

Slowing down unexpectedly. Grosjean and the driver to his left were perfectly capable of continuing their pace, but Webber slowed down in front of him.

It did look like Webber slowed down a lot suddenly - he should know what can happen when you do that in front of another car.

Watch the gap between Webber and the car in front of him.

Now watch the gap between Webber and the car directly behind him (alongside Grosjean).

Finally, watch the gap between Grosjean and Webber.

Case closed.

DD

Perhaps Grosjean should have taken a tighter line, but I definitely think Webber slowed down a lot.

suzukacrash.gif

Totaly Grosjean's fault. He couldn't even make that turn on cold tires and at that speed using that line...

Everyone (on a faster line) was slowing for a reason.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't see Webber slowing a lot. The gap looks bigger because its closer to the camera and also we see it more from the side. But i think its nearly constant (Webber to car in front).

I think Grosjean should and could have slowed down more. I mean look at how he gains on all four other visible cars, not just Webber. His out of sync speed on the off line is a dead giveaway.

I don't see Webber slowing a lot. The gap looks bigger because its closer to the camera and also we see it more from the side. But i think its nearly constant (Webber to car in front).

If everyone is slowing down equally the space between Webber and the cars in front should be decreasing, not increasing. I think they both share the blame - a racing incident.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think Grosjean should and could have slowed down more. I mean look at how he gains on all four other visible cars, not just Webber. His out of sync speed on the off line is a dead giveaway.
Yep. Look at Perez, he's closer to Webber and manages to slow down. I really don't see how you can make an argument against Webber, beyond being biased against him.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If everyone is slowing down equally the space between Webber and the cars in front should be decreasing, not increasing. I think they both share the blame - a racing incident.

The gap between all four other cars closes at first (going into the apex) and Perez enters the frame, then opens up as the lead cars start accelerating. There may be some blame sharing but I think the lion's share goes to Grosjean. Had he been positioned like Perez, on the racing line, it would be a different story. For where he was though, he deserves all the flak he has been getting.

It was an impossible attempt by any standard. What he should have done is slowed and gone side by side with Perez and edge him out to take that position. Should have been an easy position which he ended up losing by greed.

Jinjo

Some inside news for Dutch F1 viewers (and maybe non-Dutch ones). Robin Frijns is quite possibly on the verge of securing a testing role in F1. Candidate teams are Williams & Sauber. Confirmation comes within the next 2 weeks if it does happen. Keep a lookout for this guy, he apparently broke all sorts of track records on the RBR simulator.

Yen

Slowing down unexpectedly. Grosjean and the driver to his left were perfectly capable of continuing their pace, but Webber slowed down in front of him.

I don't think Grosjean deserved that penalty.

"Slowing down"? On a corner? Well, I never...

Fantomex

I don't think this applies when in fact Grosjean has said it was his mistake and other drivers are jumping on him for it. No one is jumping on Kimi because that in itself was a racing incident. IIRC a racing incident involves 2 drivers that can both share blame. A penalization occurs when one partly is clearly to blame.

Deadman

If a CGI magician removed webber from that gif you would never know there was a crash, grosjean does not react at any point. Bizarre.

Shaneus

Looking at that gif, man he was lucky (or skillful) to be able to pull that car back to the pits at all. Could've punctured a tyre, ended up stranded in the gravel pit, stalled... anything.

But, shouldn't have fucking happened in the first place. Webber's now gone from having an outside chance at WDC to absolutely none, thanks to that little French cunt.

If a CGI magician removed webber from that gif you would never know there was a crash, grosjean does not react at any point. Bizarre.

You can see from the GIF how Perez quickly swerves left when he was too close to Webber.

Grosjean just kept driving like Webber was invisible and stuck to his racing line. There was plenty of room to swerve right, even if it means running on the grass to avoid a collision.

Unless he thought he was playing Mario Kart and activated Star Power that he can just run over nearby cars and continue driving :lol

To me it actually looks like Kamui went very deep into the corner, while the distance between the two RB's stays about the same. Koby even washes out slightly mid corner.

I still think Gros didn't even hit the brakes. Acc/Brake telemetry would be gold

Do they even do that anymore?

I still think Gros didn't even hit the brakes. Acc/Brake telemetry would be gold

Do they even do that anymore?

Absolutely, Grosjean wasn't paying any attention to webber. I suspect he would have had trouble making the corner anyway.

Too many recent GP2 grads driving like they are still there. At the start of the year I though JEV was going to be the worst of the lot going on his 3.5 record but he has really dialed back his aggressive style. Maybe Grosjean should have a chat to him

With Hulk maybe leaving FI, I imagine Bianchi will be in there. Now that's a Frenchman who knows how to hit everyone!

Hammer24

Banned
Lauda in an interview with german RTL said that:
- its not his fault, that there is no more room for MSC at Merc, that was a decision by Brawn
- confirmed that there were direct talks between MSC and Sauber, and at least one telephone conference between MSC and Ferrari

Xun

Absolutely, Grosjean wasn't paying any attention to webber. I suspect he would have had trouble making the corner anyway.

Too many recent GP2 grads driving like they are still there. At the start of the year I though JEV was going to be the worst of the lot going on his 3.5 record but he has really dialed back his aggressive style. Maybe Grosjean should have a chat to him

With Hulk maybe leaving FI, I imagine Bianchi will be in there. Now that's a Frenchman who knows how to hit everyone!
Hopefully he can get a seat elsewhere.

Ark

Looking at that gif, man he was lucky (or skillful) to be able to pull that car back to the pits at all. Could've punctured a tyre, ended up stranded in the gravel pit, stalled... anything.

But, shouldn't have fucking happened in the first place. Webber's now gone from having an outside chance at WDC to absolutely none, thanks to that little French cunt.

Believing Webber has had a chance at the WDC this year was clutching at straws at best, I'm sorry but he's been out-classed by everyone in the top four this year with the exception of Grosjean and Button.

Goldrusher

Maria de Villota gave an interview to a Spanish magazine:

Oct.10 (GMM) Maria de Villota will on Thursday make her first public appearance since losing an eye in a formula one test crash in early July.
Spain's Europa Press news agency said the 32-year-old former Marussia test driver will update the world about her recovery from the serious accident during a press conference in Madrid to also be attended by Spanish motor racing federation chief Carlos Gracia.

Hilarious mistakes are basically the only hope Webber has. Irvine had a decent shot in 99, but that was only possible because of Schumi breaking his leg.

Thursday, October 11, 1500 hours local time (0600 GMT)

Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), Romain Grosjean (Lotus), Pastor Maldonado (Williams), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) and Mark Webber (Red Bull).

Can't wait :)

Top Bottom