• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Goldrusher

Nah, it's an easy question. The top (eyes & hair) is clearly Pic, the mouth is clearly di Resta.
There's only one answer with Pic and di Resta.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yep, agreed Leunam.

I've neglected f1racemanager for about 5 or so races now, dropped to 17th. Will see if I have any hope of getting in the top 10 again by the end of the season.

edit: Current race money available, 56 million hahahaha

mblitek

I'mmmmmmmmmm back! For the answer to F1RM...it has to be Pic with hair/eyes as a combination. I can't believe I've missed so many bets & questions from forgetting to answer on F1RM :( Oh well.

Now I have to go back and read through a week of this thread!

Fisico

Hum just joined F1RM a few hours ago looking at the subleagues I guess the NeoGaf one is private, what is the way to join all of you guys here ?

(It was to be expected, but beginning is HARD, I have to do with a caterham piloted by Grosjean ahah)

Shaneus

I'mmmmmmmmmm back! For the answer to F1RM...it has to be Pic with hair/eyes as a combination. I can't believe I've missed so many bets & questions from forgetting to answer on F1RM :( Oh well.

Now I have to go back and read through a week of this thread!
I wouldn't worry about it. It's mostly filled with myself and others calling Grosjean a cunt, and one or two people actually defending him. Although there's a few good image macros of him you might enjoy :)

Shaneus

Believing Webber has had a chance at the WDC this year was clutching at straws at best, I'm sorry but he's been out-classed by everyone in the top four this year with the exception of Grosjean and Button.
*Outside* chance, fuckstick. It was only up until the last two weekends or so he was only 8 points off his "#1" teammate. Remember?

Thursday, October 11, 1500 hours local time (0600 GMT)

Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), Romain Grosjean (Lotus), Pastor Maldonado (Williams), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) and Mark Webber (Red Bull).

Can't wait :)
Grosjean and Maldonado will collectively bump into everyone else on their way up to the microphones.

Shaneus

In reality though:

194 ... Alonso
190 ... Vettel
157 ... Raikkonen
152 ... Hamilton

...and only Raikkonen if Lotus come up with a miracle for the weekend.
And Webber could've been up there with an additional 16 on the proviso he would've finished second (a given, witnessing the RB8's pace at Suzuka), obviously more if he'd won. No wonder he was so pissed... it was the straw that broke the camel's back and destroyed a chance even at second place in the WDC.

I still wouldn't put him there simply because I only listed the top chance of each team; where they had a chance.

...and you know full well who is getting support when it comes to Webber vs Vettel.

DD

Webber would make me happier, but I'm okay with Vettel, and definitely not okay with Hamilton and Alonso, just saying... =P

Ark

Only eight points? This is the guy that finished third by well over a hundred points in what was arguably the most dominant car this century.

Outside chance it may have been, but he's not on the level of Vettel, Hamilton & Alonso this year.

And Webber could've been up there with an additional 16 on the proviso he would've finished second (a given, witnessing the RB8's pace at Suzuka), obviously more if he'd won. No wonder he was so pissed... it was the straw that broke the camel's back and destroyed a chance even at second place in the WDC.

Could have, would have, all that matter is what actually happened.

Shaneus

Only eight points? This is the guy that finished third by well over a hundred points in what was arguably the most dominant car this century.
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying he's doing amazingly well because he's wasn't that far behind him compared to last year?

Outside chance it may have been, but he's not on the level of Vettel, Hamilton & Alonso this year.
Pretty sure he's spent more time ahead of Hamilton and Vettel in WDC points than they have ahead of him. But yeah, not on the same level. Of course.

Could have, would have, all that matter is what actually happened.
This is true. So he's not on the same level because of Grosjean then. Gotcha.

Lach

So Peter Sauber has stepped down as team principal. This had long been announced but now it's official. This makes Monisha Kaltenborn the first female team principal in Formula 1.

Everything considered, Peter Sauber has done a great job. He managed to keep his small team in Formula 1 for (almost) 20 years which many other teams couldn't, and always stay at least in midfield.

He had already quit F1 in 2009, three years after BMW had bought his team and he felt that the transission had gone smoothly, only to discover that the manufacturer would close down the team by the end of the season.

He put a lot of effort into finding a new owner for the team and when he couldn't, he went on to buy back the team from BMW himself. Back to being a small team they managed to improve over the last three year into a team that now can reach the podium on a regular basis.

And last but not least Peter Sauber managed to bring some great drivers into Formula One. Most noticably Kimi Raikönnen, for which he got a lot of slack in the beginning because he seemed too inexperienced, having only competed in formula racing for two years before joining the Sauber Team in 2001. The list also includes Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Felipe Massa and of course Sergio Perez (also techically Vettel because he had his first race in a BMW Sauber).

AcridMeat

Banned
I have tons of respect for Sauber and hope the team can stay competitive, though I doubt they'll get around the BMW days. Love the car they've had this year.

Hammer24

Banned

top-gun-val-kilmer-tom-cruise.jpg
#

"But remember, boys, no points for second place" ;-)

Hammer24

Banned
...and some poison from Marko:
"Niki did us a favor. He weakened Lewis and McLaren. This means next year we´ll have two opponents less." (my translation)
More tidbits:
- RBR unable to find the reason for the malfunctioning 2012 alternators. They will finish the season using the 2011 models.
- HAM alledgedly lost his smartphone with all his passwords stored. Now wait for hilarity to ensue...
- Active double drs as sported by Merc and RBR now definitely banned for 2013. Passive systems as tried on Friday practices by Merc and Lotus will stay allowed - for now. As the full technical reglementation for 2013 is still not finished, teams don´t know how far they can take this development.

This is really great news, imo.

Kaltenborn becomes new Sauber team boss

"We decided a long time ago that Monisha would take over from me, but we left the timing open," said Sauber, who will continue in his capacity as President of the Board of Directors of all Sauber Group companies. "Now is a good time for both of us, so this is the right moment to pass on the baton.

"After all, there have been a number of races I've been unable to attend, most recently the Japanese Grand Prix, where the team put in an excellent performance. I'm in no doubt that Monisha has all the necessary skills to be an outstanding Team Principal, and I'm equally certain she will ensure that the values underpinning the company live on. That is very important to me."

Kaltenborn, who alluded to the challenge that lies ahead, is fully focused on continuing Sauber's upward trend over the coming seasons in charge.

"Naturally I'm very aware of the major responsibility I have for Peter Sauber's racing team," said Kaltenborn, who was born in the Indian city of Dehradun. "He founded the team over 40 years ago, and in the spring it will be 20 years since Sauber lined up for its debut Formula 1 Grand Prix. We are the fourth-oldest team in Formula 1.

"To build up a project like this and keep it alive in a difficult environment is a tremendous achievement. I have set my sights high and am committed to taking the team forward as Peter Sauber would want and leading it on to success."

Kaltenborn's promotion makes her the first female F1 Team Principal in history.

I didn't know Sauber as a team was that old, but now that I think about it, they were always around since I started watching F1.

DBT85

Hamilton had a suspension problem at the last weekend which caused his understeer according to Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103277

When asked by AUTOSPORT if his setup choice had led to the car's poor handling, Hamilton said: "It didn't actually.

"I know my car very well, so it's very rare that I get it wrong. And if I do it's only a little bit and I can still manage it.

"But this was the worst it has ever been set up, and I was really shocked that I had done that.

"I hoped it wasn't my fault, but fortunately the guys did a lot of analysis after the race and found our that we had a failure on part of the rear suspension, so that's comforting."

When quizzed on the exact nature of the problem, Hamilton added: "It's not a suspension failure, because I could still drive with it.

"There was just a part that helps the balance and when you set it up it should react in one way but it didn't do that.

"I'm happy that we found something, so it won't be a problem for this weekend."

Pretty intersting that Massa scored more points than Alonso since Spa.

44 against 30 points - without the team order in Monza the gap would be even bigger.

In theory, 8 drivers are still in the running:

194 ... Alonso
190 ... Vettel
157 ... Raikkonen
152 ... Hamilton
134 ... Webber
131 ... Button
  93 ... Rosberg
  82 ... Grosjean

5 more races, 125 more points.

7pts out of a possible 150 earlier in the season well and truly fucked Button :(

Overhauling Hammy is the only possibility.

Leunam

And according to Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko, “Herr Lauda has been looking into how long Adrian Newey still has a contract with us”, he is quoted by Bild newspaper.

The report said Briton Newey, F1′s most respected car designer and aerodynamicist who reportedly makes EUR 8 million a year at Red Bull, is under contract until 2014.

“There is an existing contract to be complied with,” insisted Marko, who is team owner Dietrich Mateschitz’s right-hand man on F1 matters.

“And what would he (Newey) do at Mercedes anyway? With Ross Brawn there are three other technical directors. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians,” Marko insisted.

Saw that coming.

Deadman

Vettel to ferrari in 2014. Newey out of contract in 2014. Vettel and Massa sat together at dinner, Alonso out on his own? It all becomes clear.

On a more serious note:

It looks like Kamui dislikes the pay driver situation very much and might be leaving F1 over it.

Kobayashi says he is aware that having financial backing would be a big help, but he is saddened by the situation.

"I think a sponsor could help myself to be here next year, but at the moment I had no sponsors to be here," Kobayashi told reporters in Korea. "It's a very strange feeling for me to find a sponsor to drive for another team or here.

"At this moment of course the money is very important, but I really want to be like a top driver without a sponsor, with a good team. This is what I was dreaming about when I was younger.

"To bring a sponsor is maybe very important for the future. We are missing how a driver really has to be, thinking about the car. This is part of the driver's job. But now it looks like it's more about sponsorship. It's not a way a driver has to be.

"So I'm a little bit surprised, but I'll try to stay in Formula 1 next year and try to show what I can do."

The Japanese driver insisted he had never had any sponsors help him secure a drive, and that he was not looking for one at the moment.

"If there's no Japanese car manufacturer looking to enter Formula 1 then it's difficult, because the car manufacturers are the biggest companies in Japan," he said.

When asked about the chance of losing his seat to a driver with less talent but bigger backing, he said: "Then it's destiny, no?"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103280

Top Bottom