• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

moojito

Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg says he will perform a "Gangnam Style" dance on the podium if he wins Sunday's Korean Grand Prix.

Rosberg made the promise after watching a performance by South Korean rapper Psy, whose song and horse-riding dance have made him an internet hit.

source

I know who I'll be rooting for!

source

I know who I'll be rooting for!

Theres bound to be some Gangnam Style reference throughout the weekend. Hopefully someone does the horse dance, regardless of winner :lol

I have to admit though, if Vettel AND Newey went to ferrari it'd crush the sport.

Its pretty obvious Vettel wants to beat Schumi in the record books. Whether he'll get it done is another story.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: I was reading the wiki for F1 records and came across this:

Most (driving) penalties in a season: 9 Pastor Maldonado (2012)

While Grosjean has been getting all the hate lately, Prupose continues to get in trouble :lol

moojito

There's no way with this many good drivers that anyone will get close to Schumacher's record any time soon, either race wins or championships. The special tyres as well will have made a huge difference, and we won't be seeing that again.

Shaneus

On a more serious note:

It looks like Kamui dislikes the pay driver situation very much and might be leaving F1 over it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103280
Fuck, he's such a humble, nice dude. I'd hate to see him leave the sport over money :(

If this is what it's coming to, where sponsors are sponsoring drivers and not cars... oh man. Not good.

Edit: On di Villota, it might not look like much has happened but it says she's completely lost her sense of taste and smell :( But she's alive and seems to have a new appreciation for live, which cannot be a bad thing. With any luck, if she doesn't come back in a driving role she will become some kind of crusader in regards to safety a la Stewart.

Kobay is higher than F1 confirmed. However not looking for sponsors guarantees his exit. Fuck. :/
Yeah :( Best of luck to him if he isn't able to stay in the sport. Pretty shit if that's how it turns out, though.

Jibbed

Are the RBRs typically good around Korea?

No idea, but it's fairly tight/twisty... the RBR's usually have the upper-hand when downforce is more influential.

Edit: 2010 quali was an RBR lockout, and 2011 was pretty much even between them and McLaren. Lewis has a shot then I guess... then again, F1 2012 etc.

FP1 is on now, Bottas out in the Williams testing their new exhaust system.

jambo

What's a good F1 magazine to grab every month? I saw "F1 Racing" at a few newsagencies, but is there an official magazine?

Lotus' last hope to push for the title has went down the toilet

They should immediately shift to next year now

Too bad for Kimi, was a good run before the break. "Factory shutdown" my ass

Hammer24

Banned

You are aware that they tried new parts today, which they are not going to use tomorrow or on sunday? Todays timetable gives no indication on Lotus pace here whatsoever.

The factories are shut down. Can't stop people thinking at home though.

True, which means all the crap about cutting costs, force-shutdown is all meaningless. Why don't you just allow everything because bigger teams will always find ways around those useless regulations

Lotus have gone from one of the most competitive cars in race pace to the 4th if not the 5th during the break. That doesn't get achieved by people "thinking at home" I'm sure

Ferrari, McLaren, Redbull were faster from the get go in Spa, where "theoretically" it was supposed to suit the Lotus

You are aware that they tried new parts today, which they are not going to use tomorrow or on sunday? Todays timetable gives no indication on Lotus pace here whatsoever.

no. They're using the Coanda exhaust for the weekend. But they also said they need time to extract everything from it

Hammer24

Banned
no. They're using the Coanda exhaust for the weekend. But they also said they need time to extract everything from it

In FP1 only RAI had the coanda, GRO for comparison purposes didn´t. Difference: half a second faster - the old system that is. Additionally they got their DRD system never to work as they expected. At least this is defo going out, as they want to concentrate to get the coanda up to snuff. But even this is more a 2013 priority than anything else. I fully expect them to remove it, at least for the race.

All you need to do is put a wind tunnel in everyone's home. Then you can shut down the factory as long as you'd like!

*thumbs up*

In FP1 only RAI had the coanda, GRO for comparison purposes didn´t. Difference: half a second faster - the old system that is. Additionally they got their DRD system never to work as they expected. At least this is defo going out, as they want to concentrate to get the coanda up to snuff. But even this is more a 2013 priority than anything else. I fully expect them to remove it, at least for the race.

Coanda? If so, no. They said already that they're keeping it

McLaren's Spygate fine deemed tax deductible.

McLaren has won the right to claim a corporation tax deduction on the £32 million fine that it was handed for its involvement in the 2007 spying controversy with Ferrari.

After a recent appeal hearing in front of judges against the Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the Woking-based team successfully argued that the fine was 'connected' with its trade so could be put against tax.

HMRC had claimed that McLaren's fine should not be tax exempt because it had been handed to the team for activities that were not directly related to its racing programme.

Its solicitor Akash Nawbatt argued: "The penalty arose from McLaren's interference with Ferrari's intellectual property: such interference was not part of McLaren's trade or incidental thereto.

"The legitimate gathering of information was part of its trade but the illicit gathering of information was not. McLaren had said as much in its submissions to WMSC in the July hearing."

The tribunal's two judges were divided in their opinion over the matter, however, which meant the view of presiding Judge Charles Hellier held sway. He believed the fine could be tax deductible.

In his summary, Judge Hellier stated: "This cost was not one imposed on McLaren, but one which it was contractually obliged to pay under contractual obligations undertaken for the purposes of its trade... the penalty was something which arose from its trade, was connected with its trade and was incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of its trade."

The court ruling issued by the tribunal's judges revealed that in the year to December 31 2007, McLaren's turnover was £127 million but it made a loss of £35 million, mainly as a result of its fine.

In 2008, McLaren made a profit of £5 million, while in 2009 it has increased that profit to £50 million.

The exact level of the fine - which at the time was $100 million (USD) minus the loss of commercial revenue from Formula 1 which would be withheld - worked out at exactly £32,313,341.

HMRC has the right to appeal the ruling.

A McLaren spokesman said: "McLaren Group is a successful UK company, which provides high-quality employment and substantial tax revenue.

"In 2007, McLaren Racing Ltd was required to pay a penalty, following a breach of the International Sporting Code of the FIA. After consideration, a Government tribunal has found that such a contractual penalty is tax-deductable. As a UK-registered company, McLaren will continue to comply with all relevant legislation."

Shaneus

Holy shit, that Kimi/Fucking Grosjean pic is amazing :lol

Also, that 5 mil suuure came in handy in F1RM. Perez/Hulk/McL/RBR/Tot. Has to be a good combo... right?

Have you guys seen this?

Ralf takes out some pit crew - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbsyh1-d7WE
Holy shit. If you look. The guy controlling the hose let it dangle *just* low enough for it to catch and swing the thingy around. Surprising how many people it took out!

Allison only confirmed use on Saturday. Said decision will be made after FP3.

Where did he say that?

EDIT: you made me go through he news and found this

Q. (Edd Straw - Autosport) James, will you continue to run the new exhausts tomorrow?

JA: I think so, yeah. We haven't decided yet but it looks like we will.

Almost forgot about the bonus money lol.

I'm rocking Alo/Perez/RBR/McLaren for now. Now watch Kimi and Romain doing P1 and P2 :D

I got Hamilton, Gros, Redbull, McLaren, Total

I would not judge the speed of Lotus yet considering that even before the break when they still had pretty much the best car they usually had pretty slow lap times in Friday practice compared to others.

Mallya to be arrested

An Indian court has ordered the arrest of the highflying owner of beleaguered Kingfisher Airlines on charges of bouncing cheques.

Lol he won't be able to go to India's GP then?

ibjDxQVqCZ3hEt.gif

Hammer24

Banned
I recently read an article saying Honda was interested in returning to F1. They think the new V6 engines are totally green and worth coming back.

They might have to, when the rumors of Cosworth being driven out by too high development costs come true. Renault already stated they don´t want to support more teams, especially no backrow teams.

Hammer24

Banned
Anyway, if I made a promise I'll stick to it, what was it? :)

Between gentlemen, I´d say two weeks of a Merc avatar of your own choosing. See ARK for inspiration! :)

and btw, another embarrassing moment for the Shoe Maker

For impeding HRT's .. MASSIVE LOL

Sunni needs to gif the moment when he gave his infamous hand gesture to the HRT´s in FP2. Getting a reprimand for this is the icing on the cake, lol!

surami.gif

Top Bottom