• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Hammer24

Banned
Done, but you choose the avatar :) ..

OK, but if you don´t like it, we can decide on another!

haugfmsxb.jpg

Edit: On second thought, this one might work better, him watching your username. :)

haug-kopfhoerer2-5x4_u3sv1.jpg

Chris R

Wonder what Speed will air to fill that void.

Speed is being converted into a general sports network.

As long as the coverage isn't WORSE than what Speed has I'll be fine with the switch. Granted, this could be a very good thing, but it could also be very bad. Just have to wait and see I guess :|

Scottify

I sure hope that NBC does what it can, assuming the team wants to, to bring over the Speed announce team. I can't imagine anyone else doing it over here. Certainly not the NBC Indy announce team.

Chris R

I sure hope that NBC does what it can, assuming the team wants to, to bring over the Speed announce team. I can't imagine anyone else doing it over here. Certainly not the NBC Indy announce team.

That would be one of the ways coverage could be worse :|

I'd just like the option to watch every race live (unlike Speed's tape delayed coverage of the races they show on Fox) and maybe reduce the breaks during the race a little by front loading the breaks before the race and if that isn't possible then at least doing the side by side stuff like they do for the Indy coverage.

I'm fairly excited for this to be honest.

First, I wasn't getting SPEEDHD, so boom, all the races will now be in HD for me. That's big.

Second, I think SPEED's coverage has run it's course. With all due respect to the three (four with Will whom I actually like), it's time to bring in some younger and sharper voices. Hobbs and Varsha have been doing motorsports in the US for ages. They've done a great job, but the coverage has got to skew younger.

NBCSN has done a good job with Indy car even if ratings were horrible. The days of sending the whole crew on location like the ESPN days are long gone, but I hope they can put together something special for F1.

thefro

We're speculating on the big IndyCar board (Trackforum) that they'd probably share at least some talent between the teams. They are looking for a new person to do PBP for IndyCar after Bob Jenkins retired at the end of this season.

I would expect some of the Speed crew to come over but not all of them.

I can see the equivalent of NBC F1 coverage in the US will be a lot like Sky F1 in UK in terms of shittier over its competitor/predecessor and people whining endlessly.

The Speed presenters arent the best in the world I'll have to admit, but watching the Indy 500 coverage this year, I certainly prefer the Speed folks over the Indy commentators.

We'll just have to see :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
I can see the equivalent of NBC F1 coverage in the US will be a lot like Sky F1 in UK in terms of shittier over its competitor/predecessor and people whining endlessly.

The Speed presenters arent the best in the world I'll have to admit, but watching the Indy 500 coverage this year, I certainly prefer the Speed folks over the Indy commentators.

We'll just have to see :/

I just hope we get good prerace and post race coverage and paddock interviews. Now on Speed we sometimes get nothing but race, or portions of it, if it runs unusually long. Because they allocate 2-2.5 hours before some other event starts so they chop up and shoehorn as much stuff into that slot as they can.

Something like BBC's epic coverage is a far fetched dream, but I doubt they can do much worse than Speed's current performance. With NBC though there is a chance at online content like the Olympics. Everything or most stuff streaming with or without commentary.

Pimpwerx

If they just bring over Will I'd be fine with that, he really is a great addition.

Agreed. I would also like them to bring Matchett, or get someone with his level of tech knowledge. I feel like Anthony Davidson was pretty good the few times I've heard him. I don't know if he's available though. I wish someone like Flavio Briatore did commentary. I'd love to get a team principal's angle, ala Eddie Jordan. Especially someone well-connected like that. PEACE.

thefro

If they just bring over Will I'd be fine with that, he really is a great addition.

He basically just tweeted out that SPEED is letting him go after the F1 season is over.

I would bet he lands at NBCSN in some role for sure. What % that will be F1 and what % IndyCar would be the question.

It's certainly interesting trying to figure out who they could hire.

The great thing about Matchett is that he'd fly in from France to do the broadcasts. You aren't going to find too many other people willing to do that, so you're going to have to hire qualified people living in the States. That's much tougher than you'd think it would be.

The only name I can come up with is Townsend Bell who's done F1 races before on Speed, and has TV experience too. Beyond that... don't know. Just don't give us fucking Rick DeBruhl again that's all I ask.

Draconian

Don't see what's wrong with the current Speed broadcast team. Bob gets a little boring perhaps but Steve and David I think have really good chemistry together, and I enjoy their broadcasts.

Shaneus

Oh man, I'd kill for the option to watch an entire race without commentary. Whenever I see motorsport footage either online or on TV and it's just the sounds of the environment and the engines... I need to change my pants.

Speed is being converted into a general sports network.

As long as the coverage isn't WORSE than what Speed has I'll be fine with the switch. Granted, this could be a very good thing, but it could also be very bad. Just have to wait and see I guess :|

Ugh a general sports network?

It's hard enough to get racing coverage (not NASCAR) in the US and now we're losing SPEED? Their coverage leaves a lot to be desired but at least we got some good stuff.

Please dear God don't use the Indy commentators for Formula 1 on NBC sports. I can't even listen to those morons talk about IndyCar.

This news really sucks.

Shaneus

I like how they included random drivers even when they had nothing to do with it:
ryNxr.png

Go KK!

Ugh a general sports network?

It's hard enough to get racing coverage (not NASCAR) in the US and now we're losing SPEED? Their coverage leaves a lot to be desired but at least we got some good stuff.

Please dear God don't use the Indy commentators for Formula 1 on NBC sports. I can't even listen to those morons talk about IndyCar.

This news really sucks.
I honestly couldn't have any less investment in Speed (nothing gets simulcast here in Australia) but that is a really, really, REALLY fucking bad thing. Poor form. Thread worthy maybe? I dunno.

mblitek

Ughhhh...poor Davidson & Brundle....

Man, some of "your" teams are ridiculous! I think they should add to the algorithm based upon "unlikeliness" too. Maldonado winning, Marussia 10th, etc. Betting on Driver lineups would be cool too!

Watching F1 is gonna suck so hard when bbc drop it. Basically only the race will be watchable.

What!? Since when :( ? I still like Brundle though.

Deadman

Its just the trajectory they are on. They started to only show half the races, the viewer numbers went down because of this. They are losing the main presenter at the end of the year. I just dont see them keeping on going for much longer.

NBC replacing Community with F1 confirmed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alison Brie and Lee McKenzie in the same screen.

Oh man, I'd kill for the option to watch an entire race without commentary. Whenever I see motorsport footage either online or on TV and it's just the sounds of the environment and the engines... I need to change my pants.
Speed did this with some of the online streams of ALMS races.

Top Bottom