• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

start-kore-2012.jpg

I love this pic

Chris R

https://twitter.com/MrDavidHobbs/status/258988986993872897

So SPEED is not even sending their F1 crew to Austin. How fucking terrible. At least NBC will probably send their team there next year.

If NBC had ANY smarts about them they would send their crew there THIS year. Introduce the team the week of the race and have them there in an informal presence (unless they can be there formally even though SPEED still has the rights). Let the fans meet and greet this year to get them pumped about next year.

SPEED probably cutting costs while they can seeing as they would only be there this year. That and I'm betting a large portion of their resources will be spent in Homestead that week instead of Austin (even more so if the Chase hasn't been decided by Phoenix)

If NBC had ANY smarts about them they would send their crew there THIS year. Introduce the team the week of the race and have them there in an informal presence (unless they can be there formally even though SPEED still has the rights). Let the fans meet and greet this year to get them pumped about next year.

SPEED probably cutting costs while they can seeing as they would only be there this year. That and I'm betting a large portion of their resources will be spent in Homestead that week instead of Austin (even more so if the Chase hasn't been decided by Phoenix)

That's a great idea on NBC's part. And yeah, if the chase goes down to the wire, SPEED is going balls in on NASCAR.

FOM is incredibly restrictive, so the odds of NBC doing anything or indeed being allowed to do anything is nil.

rhfb's suggestion is spot on

Introduce the team the week of the race and have them there in an informal presence

The NBC crew dont have to go there and bring cameras, get garage access, etc.

Just show up as "fans" and experience the sport firsthand instead of telling their F1 Broadcast Team "read wikipedia, heres thousands of hours of F1 footage for you to watch to catch up on all this F1, bla bla bla" and end up looking clueless like Sky F1 this year.

Also, thats pretty pathetic of Speed to not send their crew on a domestic GP, let alone the first American GP in years, as well as their final season as F1 commentators.

I'm sure it wont cost them anywhere near the 2+ billion they spent securing NASCAR >_>

Chris R

FOM is incredibly restrictive, so the odds of NBC doing anything or indeed being allowed to do anything is nil.

Then send the NBC team there as fans, but make sure that people know this will be the team calling the races next year :p Then have an event or two in downtown Austin afterwards (FOM can't control every event off the track can they?)

Shaneus

Mika Salo and Sebastian Bourdais (sp?) were racing this weekend in the V8 Supercars. They did damn well.
Oh wow. Are they regulars now? Because I thought that the only reason majority of them ever drove in the V8s was during the enduro races. Unless this weekend was an enduro race.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not that fun to drive.

I kinda agree with you. The S-section seems to go on too long and after that, its pretty typical boring stuff apart from that triple apex corner near the end.

Oh wow. Are they regulars now? Because I thought that the only reason majority of them ever drove in the V8s was during the enduro races. Unless this weekend was an enduro race.

Surfer's Paradise is known for bringing over drivers from all over.

Dead Man

Surfers is called an endurance race now, they were all co drivers just here for the one race. Seemed to be a lot more than usual.

Shaneus

I think as well as being an endurance it's also a special thing:
For the first time, all 28 cars had international co-drivers signed up, covering IndyCar racing, Formula 1, GT and Sportscars and interntional touring car competition.

It's funny, I was actually scrolling through this list of the enduro pairings for this year and came within an inch of punching the fuck out of my monitor when Rick Kelly came into view. Hate that little shit.

Edit: The full list of drivers for this year's Gold Coast race. Pretty significant number of big names there.

Dead Man

Ah, cool. Didn't realise that. And yeah, what is it about R Kelly that is so annoying? I hate the little wanker. Todd Kelly is so much more likeable. I think we already talked about this in the motorsports thread.

Shaneus

There was one specific moment a few years back (when 888 was Ford) when he practically took out Whincup on one of the corners that basically robbed him of the championship (I think). It was the year when he won the championship and he was the first to do so without a race victory.

Anyway, enough of that.

mclaren777

I have looked high and low for a hi-res photo of Lewis' car with astroturf hanging off it but they seemingly don't exist.

I'm starting to wonder of FOM or Mclaren has somehow put an injunction against such images.

ibeiZwkyljCf9e.jpg

Fisico

There's currently the final in Formule Renault 3.5, and following the live timing Bianchi is apparently out and Frijns will most likely win the championship.

But I was wondering what happened since three laps ago Frinjns was 4th and Bianchi 5th with a 0,5s interval and Bianchi achieved a 26,0s in the S1 against 26,7s for Frijns, and it's following that that Bianchi dissapeared.

To make it simple did someone saw what happened ?

xptoxyz

There's currently the final in Formule Renault 3.5, and following the live timing Bianchi is apparently out and Frijns will most likely win the championship.

But I was wondering what happened since three laps ago Frinjns was 4th and Bianchi 5th with a 0,5s interval and Bianchi achieved a 26,0s in the S1 against 26,7s for Frijns, and it's following that that Bianchi dissapeared.

To make it simple did someone saw what happened ?

I almost just tuned in too, not sure what happened, there seems to be an incident under investigation.

Still impressed by Da Costa's work, coming after the first races. edit: And I think he just set fastest lap too.

Fisico

Yeah Da Costa has been fucking impressive, if he continues to drive this good a seat for Torro Rosso in 2014 would be automatically reserved for him.

As for the fastest lap it's been set by Alexander Rossi for the sixth time in a row, scoring points only three out of this six lol

Lotus is already at the COTA and they posted a great picture on Twitter.

2Xlbb.jpg

Oh, and yeah, Patrick Dempsey is there too.

1Qehq.jpg

Probably already in talks to replace Fucking Grosjean.

mclaren777

As for the fastest lap it's been set by Alexander Rossi for the sixth time in a row, scoring points only three out of this six lol

If Alex fails to land an F1 drive, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Any chance he might do some laps during Friday practice in Austin?

Fisico

I don't know the guy but didn't he kind of screwed up this season ?
I mean he was 3rd overall in Formule Renault 3.5 last year and only ranked 11th this year with a certain teammate, Da Costa, winning four of the last five races.

EDIT : Seeing this article (it's french so it may be partial though), it seems like there indeed was some accident between Frijns and Bianchi with Frijns pushing Bianchi off-track

Chris R

Lotus is already at the COTA and they posted a great picture on Twitter.

2Xlbb.jpg

Oh, and yeah, Patrick Dempsey is there too.

1Qehq.jpg

Probably already in talks to replace Fucking Grosjean.

Dude is a pretty accomplished driver in the Grand-Am Rolex series. Even has his own team (I think they have 2 GT class cars).

Great shot from the Lotus though!

paskowitz

Dude is a pretty accomplished driver in the Grand-Am Rolex series. Even has his own team (I think they have 2 GT class cars).

Great shot from the Lotus though!

He also races in ALMS. He was a little jittery his first couple of races, but he has gotten better the season has progressed.

Shaneus

I'm not sure which one of those acronyms it falls under, but he was also in the Le Mans 24hr either this year or last (I can't remember... I think it was 2011).

It looks like he'd always have a role somewhere in motor racing if ever he decides to pass up on this acting caper. Genuinely seems like a decent driver, and not just as an actor.

Fisico

there seems to be an incident under investigation.

Frijns got a 25s time penalty for the second race and thus only lose the 4pts for the race but still win the championship.
Apparently it was a very difficult decision to take because Frijns's fault was quickly recognized and the matter was more about the penalty he received.

It clearly was the worst way to win a championship for him.

Goldrusher

With the United States Grand Prix now less than a month away, Lotus F1 Team third driver Jérôme D’Ambrosio had the privilege of becoming the first man to drive the brand new Circuit of the Americas as the countdown to the big weekend begins…

JDA : It’s a very enjoyable layout with a couple of good opportunities for overtaking“It’s been a great day today. There’s a real buzz about the Circuit of The Americas and it was fantastic to get out on track to demonstrate the R30. It’s a very enjoyable layout with a couple of good opportunities for overtaking, some long, fast, sweeping ‘S’ bends and a few really satisfying, high speed changes of direction similar to the ‘Becketts’ complex at Silverstone.”

“The first corner is also quite special and it will be interesting to see it when people are dicing for position in the race. It’s an enjoyable layout for a racing driver and also fantastic for the fans as the viewing areas are very well placed to catch all the action ; of which there should be plenty ! Austin itself is a superb city with a great atmosphere and I think it will really come alive for Formula 1 during the week of the Grand Prix which is something we all can enjoy. It’s really going to be something quite special.”

http://lotusf1team.com/To-Boldly-Go-Where-No-Man-Has-Been.html?lang=fr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvuiFh3wyus

dubc35

https://twitter.com/MrDavidHobbs/status/258988986993872897

So SPEED is not even sending their F1 crew to Austin. How fucking terrible. At least NBC will probably send their team there next year.
Sorry a little late to this conversation, but they don't send their commentators anywhere do they? I don't recall past USGPs but all of the other races they commentate watching it on video. Windsor/Buxton are the only ones at the races. Even so, I agree it's a shame they aren't sending them.

I'm not sure which one of those acronyms it falls under, but he was also in the Le Mans 24hr either this year or last (I can't remember... I think it was 2011).

It looks like he'd always have a role somewhere in motor racing if ever he decides to pass up on this acting caper. Genuinely seems like a decent driver, and not just as an actor.
He raced in 2009 at Le Mans. He'll be back next year and he's recording a documentary about it as well.

http://www.lemans.org/en/news/patrick-dempsey-the-road-to-le-mans-in-2013_6721.htm

Patrick Dempsey has decided to record the story of his return to the Le Mans 24 hours in 2013 in a four-part documentary series.
At Sebring, on the eve of the first round of the new World Championship FIA Endurance on the 17th March, the driver, actor and team owner announced his intention to return to La Sarthe. In 2009, he finished in ninth place of the former LM GT2 category, driving a Ferrari F430 GT. Having made his mark around the world with the TV series "Grey's Anatomy" as Dr. Derek Shepherd, Patrick Dempsey will show his passion for motor racing in major new documentary series of his life, covering preparations for the 24 Hours 2013, that will air on American cable channel Velocity by Discovery.

Remember also that, during his visit to Le Mans in 2011 for the twentieth anniversary of the victory at the 24 Hours of Mazda, Patrick Dempsey discussed his work as producer on a film project film dedicated to motorsport, adapted from the book by Garth Stein "The art of racing in the rain". He follows the footsteps of Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, the two great pioneers in the Hollywood legend of Le Mans. Although he could not participate the "real" 24 Hours in 1970, McQueen conceived and produced the film "Le Mans". Newman finished second in the 1979 24 hours in a Porsche 935 with Dick Barbour and Rolf Stommelen after discovering a passion for motorsport while playing the driver Frank Capua in the movie "Winning", filmed during the 1968 Indianapolis 500.​

edit, he also got to drive the 787B around Le Sarthe last year, lucky sob

Leunam

Sorry a little late to this conversation, but they don't send their commentators anywhere do they? I don't recall past USGPs but all of the other races they commentate watching it on video. Windsor/Buxton are the only ones at the races. Even so, I agree it's a shame they aren't sending them.

They don't, but they said they would be in Austin. Except now they aren't.

Shaneus

He raced in 2009 at Le Mans. He'll be back next year and he's recording a documentary about it as well.

http://www.lemans.org/en/news/patrick-dempsey-the-road-to-le-mans-in-2013_6721.htm

Patrick Dempsey has decided to record the story of his return to the Le Mans 24 hours in 2013 in a four-part documentary series.
At Sebring, on the eve of the first round of the new World Championship FIA Endurance on the 17th March, the driver, actor and team owner announced his intention to return to La Sarthe. In 2009, he finished in ninth place of the former LM GT2 category, driving a Ferrari F430 GT. Having made his mark around the world with the TV series "Grey's Anatomy" as Dr. Derek Shepherd, Patrick Dempsey will show his passion for motor racing in major new documentary series of his life, covering preparations for the 24 Hours 2013, that will air on American cable channel Velocity by Discovery.

Remember also that, during his visit to Le Mans in 2011 for the twentieth anniversary of the victory at the 24 Hours of Mazda, Patrick Dempsey discussed his work as producer on a film project film dedicated to motorsport, adapted from the book by Garth Stein "The art of racing in the rain". He follows the footsteps of Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, the two great pioneers in the Hollywood legend of Le Mans. Although he could not participate the "real" 24 Hours in 1970, McQueen conceived and produced the film "Le Mans". Newman finished second in the 1979 24 hours in a Porsche 935 with Dick Barbour and Rolf Stommelen after discovering a passion for motorsport while playing the driver Frank Capua in the movie "Winning", filmed during the 1968 Indianapolis 500.​

edit, he also got to drive the 787B around Le Sarthe last year, lucky sob
Thanks for that. Massive respect for the dude now as well after reading that. Hopefully he can make something of it!

Hammer24

Banned
Ferrari did some (unspecified) aero tests in Spain, plans to bring (unspecified) new parts to India, Montezemolo says they´d bring the cars back to front row.
BUT: they don´t know if they´ll ever get there, as Indian bureaucracy is mad, and they don´t know if they can get the parts through customs. RBR has some more updates coming too, but probably wont bother with India and take them directly to Abu Dhabi.

Oh, and another choice tidbit. Shaneus, mate, stay strong: Ferrari wanted WEB to replace MAS. They said they were looking for a reliable #2 driver, who wouldn´t budge under pressure, and could be relied upon to keep the #1 drivers back without complaint. They said in this regard, WEB would have been the only upgrade to MAS, but were surprised he signed with RBR so early.

Hammer24

Banned
Yeah... maybe "without much complaint". Because if anyone thinks there was no complaining they haven't been watching much F1 for the last few years.

Maybe its just a little needling from Ferrari, hoping it´d distract RBR and make WEB do something stupid in the last races.

Top Bottom