• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
McLaren are looking to ditch Mercedes and reunite with Honda — as they do not want to pay £8million for their engines.

Honda :bow
Yeah, more so since their favorite pet canary escaped to Stuttgart

I hope that this is true, 'cause this means more engine booms in 2014 :D

TylerD

Is there a list or steam group of F1 GAF members that will be in Austin? I am interested in meeting up if you guys are. My plan is to be in Austin by 10am Wednesday and have 2 days to explore before GP events start.

It looks like there will be GT3 Cup and Classic F1 events as well. Great to see that there will be some other events.

Chris R

Is there a list or steam group of F1 GAF members that will be in Austin? I am interested in meeting up if you guys are. My plan is to be in Austin by 10am Wednesday and have 2 days to explore before GP events start.

It looks like there will be GT3 Cup and Classic F1 events as well. Great to see that there will be some other events.

I fly into Austin on Tuesday but my hotel room is in San Antonio. I'm going to be at the track basically all day Friday through Sunday though (sitting T12).

mclaren777

We are flying into San Antonio on Thursday, staying in New Braunfels, and leaving on Monday.

We hope to spend a lot of time in Austin and we would love to meet anybody/everybody we can.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I fly into Austin on Tuesday but my hotel room is in San Antonio. I'm going to be at the track basically all day Friday through Sunday though (sitting T12).

Do you have any details on the other events? I am flying in in Friday, get there around noon in time for the afternoon practice, and fly out Monday.

We are in general admission, so I think we will walk around on Friday/Saturday and decide where we want to sit on Sunday. I think the back straight at turn 11 looks like an interesting spot.

Yeah, more so since their favorite pet canary escaped to Stuttgart

I hope that this is true, 'cause this means more engine booms in 2014 :D

I really can't imagine that they' d have time to prepare for a 2014 return even if they wanted to, unless they've been working in secret.

There were rumours about this about a year ago, so who knows.

TylerD

Do you have any details on the other events? I am flying in in Friday, get there around noon in time for the afternoon practice, and fly out Monday.

We are in general admission, so I think we will walk around on Friday/Saturday and decide where we want to sit on Sunday. I think the back straight at turn 11 looks like an interesting spot.

Nope, no Info yet. I was able to grab a schedule for support races in Canada (2010) so I assume we will have the info on the gt3 cup and classic f1 stuff by the time we get to Austin.

I am also at turn 12 and got the notification that my ticket was mailed out a couple of hours a go.

6th street is sure to be crazy and I would imagine there will be a lot of little sponsored events going on around town. Watched No Reservations SXSW and there are a couple of barbecue places that I want to try to hit. Also Alamo Draft House is supposed to be a great boutique theater.

There will no doubt be a ton to do and the atmosphere around the track will probably be good too.. I am interested to see if there will be a heavy international pressence.

I always get local recs when I travel as well.

Chris R

I saw a full schedule for the track a week or two ago but can't find it now :| Looked like there would be two different support series racing as well over the weekend.

mclaren777

I saw a full schedule for the track a week or two ago but can't find it now :| Looked like there would be two different support series racing as well over the weekend.

It's crazy that a schedule isn't readily available on the COTA website. Between that and the horrible restrictions about what people can bring in, I don't see the 2012 race leaving a good impression.

Abu Dhabi young driver test lineup:

Red Bull: Da Costa, Frijns

Mclaren: Paffett, Magnussen, Turvey

Lotus: Prost, Mortara, Valsecchi

Sauber: Gutierrez, Frijns

Toro Rosso: Da Costa, Razia

Caterham: Van Der Garde, Rossi

TylerD

What's this about restrictions?

It is a list of items that you aren't allowed to bring to the track. I don't see the big deal with most of it and it isn't any different from the restrictions for the Canada GP when I went. I can list everything when I get home this afternoon if wanted.

Zeppu

y9nub.jpg

Look at him not giving a fuck now that he's staying for 2013.

mclaren777

Official List of USGP Attendees
• AndyD – GA
• Yoritomo – T2
• TylerD – T12
• rhfb – T12
• mclaren777 – T12
• ConfusingJazz –
• omgimaninja –
• tarby –

Chris R

• TylerD
• rhfb
• mclaren777

Good thing to start a list, but maybe add seating area so we can know who will be sitting around us? I'm at T12 (tickets were waiting for me at home when I got off work yesterday).

And the banned item list sucks, would have been nice to bring some food and other beverages to the track but outside of that I'm not complaining.

TylerD

I thought they were going to have classic F1 as well including the Lotus 79. Ferrari Challenge certainly doesn't disappoint me though.

I am section 8 row 29 at T12.

Yoritomo

• AndyD – GA
• TylerD – T12
• rhfb – T12
• mclaren777 – T12
• ConfusingJazz –
• omgimaninja –
• tarby –

I'm at Turn 2

I now don't feel like I wasted $1000.

http://i.minus.com/ibwWt2YjuZj3lZ.pngMG][/QUOTE]

Looks like Ferrari Challenge, GT3 Cup, and Historic F1 races then.

CiSTM

Banned
Kobayashi Looking for Sponsor

I'd totally chip in for a kickstarter if he did one. Signed photos for £5, a lock of his hair for £10, Kobayashi made Sushi for £100. etc.

Doesn't look good for him :(
There isn't much left for the season and Japanese companies are more then shy to jump into the F1 bandwagon again. I would assume he has more sponor prospects for the future but my guess is that Sauber needs the sponsor money for next season and not for 2014. I will miss him.

Top Bottom