• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This is RBR race to lose, they are simply too strong.

also, it seems that Ferrari upgrades are not working as they should (yet again).

ivOB8Dv4pLD4M.png

"The math doesn't add up"

Dead Man

I hate how every track looks the same now. Bleh. Paved runoff should not be everywhere, only where it is needed, paint on asphalt should not be the major difference between tracks, just... fuck. I am so jaded with F1 at the moment. I want 1994 San Marino back, I want the full Hockenheimring, I want a proper shakeup of the rules so that ingenuity is rewarded, I want this cloud to notice I am yelling.

:/

q2 is always the most exciting.

Yep.

pants

I hate how every track looks the same now. Bleh. Paved runoff should not be everywhere, only where it is needed, paint on asphalt should not be the major difference between tracks, just... fuck. I am so jaded with F1 at the moment. I want 1994 San Marino back, I want the full Hockenheimring, I want a proper shakeup of the rules so that ingenuity is rewarded, I want this cloud to notice I am yelling.

:/

Yep.

+1!

Just woke up, missed qualy, although I could have guessed the results, pretty predictable.

Not sure whether to get up for the race or just catch the highlights, pretty boring end to the season after that amazing first half.

Addnan

Probably the most predictable top 7 order. These tracks are not helping the end to the season either.

Did the commentators earlier say Massa doesn't have the updates on his car? If so its not making much of a difference.

Dilly

Banned
Just woke up, missed qualy, although I could have guessed the results, pretty predictable.

Not sure whether to get up for the race or just catch the highlights, pretty boring end to the season after that amazing first half.

I'd have no idea why you'd wake up for the race. Couldn't be bothered to watch and I had nothing better to do.

jey_16

Banned
Probably the most predictable top 7 order. These tracks are not helping the end to the season either.

Did the commentators earlier say Massa doesn't have the updates on his car? If so its not making much of a difference.

I don't think the updates were anything major.....also I have to say despite the Mid-east/Asian races being much better time zone wise for Australia they look so lifeless (singapore and japan being the exception) compared to the traditional tracks, just lots of grey and yellow with no crowd. Hope the the new US race is better

Blablurn

was that mentioned?

3,h=343.bild.jpeg

apparently indian people are angry about ferrari. the car features the flag of the italian military on the front. in february the italian military killed two indian fishers cause they thought they were pirates. big time provocation obviously for the indian folks.

Adamm

was that mentioned?

3,h=343.bild.jpeg

apparently indian people are angry about ferrari. the car features the flag of the italian military on the front. in february the italian military killed two indian fishers cause they thought they were pirates. big time provocation obviously for the indian folks.

Been mentioned a few times, but its Ferrari - so its no problem :p

Ferrari said it is not a politic statement

Dead Man

was that mentioned?

3,h=343.bild.jpeg

Do they normally have the flag there? If not that is pretty fucking shabby.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Orders for this 'gesture' came from Luca Di Montezemolo himself, because he is trying to get into Italian politics with big steps.

Massa

Montezemolo proving again and again how much of an idiot he is.

It was pretty funny seeing Domenicalli having to deal with all the questions.

"Who on earth said that?"

Almpost every politician and analyst in America during the past month, from both sides

Alonso blasting his team between the lines, probably due to another messed up upgrades.

ungrateful crybaby. I didn't see the team blaming him for his fuck ups after 2010.. But Alonso would blast at anything/anyone if he doesn't get what he wants, it's not totally unexpected. He cracks under pressure and reveals his true character

Good thing that he's still "100% sure" he'll win it, so at least he's not giving up and makes the last few races even more boring

Dilly

Banned
ungrateful crybaby. I didn't see the team blaming him for his fuck ups after 2010.. But Alonso would blast at anything/anyone if he doesn't get what he wants, it's not totally unexpected. He cracks under pressure and reveals his true character

What the fuck are you even talking about? Does he have to be grateful for not winning championships for 3 years?

Start giving your Kimi some more attention instead of acting like a child insulting others all the time.

Leunam

4VZwM.png

2011 Race Summary

Before the race, a minute's silence was held in memory of IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon and MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli, who died in motor racing accidents over the previous two weekends. Sebastian Vettel retained the lead from the start, while Jenson Button also had a good start, jumping Fernando Alonso down into turn 1. He then managed to pass Mark Webber on the back straight to be second by the end of the first lap. By comparison, his McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton dropped down behind Felipe Massa to sixth at the start. Michael Schumacher was another to make a good start, jumping up to eighth, just behind Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, having started eleventh. Bruno Senna, having started fourteenth, now rounded out the points-scoring positions in 10th place, behind Adrian Sutil.

Meanwhile, behind the leading pack, carnage ensued. Rubens Barrichello made slight contact with his Williams teammate Pastor Maldonado. The Brazilian then speared sidewards and collected Kamui Kobayashi. As the Sauber driver returned to the track, he hit Timo Glock. Maldonado's car was undamaged, and he continued, while Barrichello pitted for a new front wing and also continued. Kobayashi, meanwhile, pulled off on the back straight, and Glock retired his Virgin two laps later with suspension damage. There was also contact at turn 3, as Narain Karthikeyan hit the back of Jarno Trulli's Lotus, spinning the Italian off the track. Trulli pitted for repairs and continued, but he was slow for the rest of the race.

On lap 9, Jaime Alguersuari successfully completed an overtaking manoeuvre on Senna, with the aid of the DRS, to move into tenth place. The Renault driver was passed just a couple of laps later by Alguersuari's Toro Rosso teammate Sébastien Buemi. Pastor Maldonado suffered a gearbox failure on lap 13 and became the race's third retirement. However, he parked the Williams far enough off the race track to avoid a safety car. The following lap, Alguersuari continued his charge up the field, passing Adrian Sutil's Force India to take ninth place.

The pitstops began for the top ten on lap 17, as Webber, Alonso, Hamilton and Alguersuari all pitted. Alonso emerged behind Michael Schumacher, but was able to quickly pass the Mercedes driver. The following lap, Massa and Rosberg both pitted to restore the positions up front. After the leaders, Vettel and Button, also pitted, the order from before the pitstops was exactly restored, with the exception of Bruno Senna, who was now in tenth having not yet pitted. When he did, Sebastien Buemi had managed to jump in front of Sutil in the pit stops.

Shortly afterwards, the race's major talking point occurred when Lewis Hamilton attempted to pass Felipe Massa in turn five. As had happened already four times before in the 2011 season – in Monaco, Silverstone, Singapore and Suzuka – the two cars collided. Massa continued without damage but was later awarded a drive through penalty for the incident. Hamilton, meanwhile, was forced to return to the pits to change his front wing. On the same lap, Sébastien Buemi retired his Toro Rosso with an engine failure, maintaining the relatively high level of attrition in the race. At the end of that lap, then, Massa remained in fifth place, but Rosberg, Schumacher and Alguersuari were promoted to sixth, seventh and eighth places respectively. Hamilton was now ninth after his adventures, with Sutil promoted to tenth by Buemi's retirement.

When Massa took his drive through penalty, he dropped down behind the two Mercedes cars. Meanwhile, Hamilton passed Alguersuari for eighth, leaving the McLaren and the Ferrari nose to tail once again. However, it was only one lap before Massa suffered a suspension failure, just as he had suffered in qualifying, as he this time broke the left front suspension of his Ferrari on the kerb and retired from the race. This left, on lap 32, Hamilton in seventh, Alguersuari back to eighth and Sutil and Sergio Pérez, who had been having a quiet race for Sauber, rounding out the points. The second round of pitstops saw far less action than the first, with the exception of Alonso's better stop allowing him to emerge ahead of Mark Webber's Red Bull in the battle for third place. Also, Bruno Senna was now in ninth, due to being on a different pit stop strategy. Senna pitted four laps from the end, allowing Sutil and Pérez back into their ninth and tenth place.

The race finished, therefore, with Vettel comfortably ahead of Button and Alonso holding off a charge from Webber to round out the podium. Michael Schumacher led home teammate Nico Rosberg for a strong fifth place, while Hamilton was the last unlapped runner in seventh. Alguersuari's eighth place allowed Toro Rosso to draw level with Sauber in the chase for seventh in the constructors' championship, with Sutil leading Pérez home in the last two points scoring positions. Vettel completed his first career Grand Chelem with the race's fastest lap on the final lap, having led every lap from pole position prior to doing so but at the time no one knew this would be Vettel's last win of 2011.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
60​
Circuit length
5.140 km (3.190 mi)​
Race length
308.400 km (191.600 mi)​
Lap Record
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault - 2011 - 1:27.249​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Sebastian Vettel (1)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Red Bull-Renaul (1)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault

Videos and highlights of the Indian Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2011 Indian Grand Prix.

Changes from 2011

-The grass to the right before T5 and T16 has been replaced with asphalt. The asphalt on the exit of T15 has been extended.
-The additional kerbs behind the apex kerbs at T6, T7 and T8 have been lengthened by 5m at each end.
-An area of artificial grass has been laid behind the apex of T7. A 1m wide strip of artificial grass has been laid behind the kerb around the inside of T10 and T11. The verge on the right between T8 and T9 has been leveled.
-The kerb, artificial grass and asphalt run-off area on the right after T9 has been extended as far as the ‘oval’ track loop.
-The guardrail on the right before T10 has been re-aligned further from the track.

GP Facts

-India is the first country to have its inaugural grand prix won by the reigning World Champion since Michael Schumacher managed the feat in 2004 at Bahrain’s Sakhir circuit. Since then F1 has gone to Shanghai, Istanbul, Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Korea without the man with the number one on his car standing on top of the podium.
-Webber finished second in Korea, following Vettel over the line to make it the first 1-2 finish for any team in 2012. Red Bull Racing achieved it three times in 2011 but 2010 is the last time any other team managed the feat. During that season RBR finished 1-2 four times, McLaren three times and Ferrari twice.
-Vettel has been leading grands prix for 145 consecutive laps. He inherited the lead from Lewis Hamilton midway through the Singapore Grand Prix and was in first place from lights to flag in both Japan and Korea. He has some way to go before matching the 305 consecutive laps led by Alberto Ascari during the 1952 season.
-Buddh International Circuit features several challenging changes of elevation – none of which are entirely natural. Some four million cubic tonnes of earth were bulldozed into place during circuit construction.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
z2cNS.png

Constructors Championship
DLRPG.png

Fantasy League Championship
JglIK.png

Mohonky

lol, all the other teams should chip in with the FiA and give him a technical regulator job or something. I'm pretty sure the teams will be happy to shell out a couple of millions each to get rid of him

I'd chip in. I'm sick of seeing one car make dominate. Especially when its the Bieber looking finger raiser behind the wheel of it.

Top Bottom