• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DD

What's with the hate, where does it indicate that he's being a whiny bitch?

He's right, the last time they had a car fast enough was Monza, five races ago, and then you would have to go all the way back to Germany where they were able to get pole.

Since moving to Ferrari they've failed to deliver a competitive car for the first half of 2010, the whole of 2011 and again for most of 2012. Just not good enough.

It's disrespectiful with his team, the people who work for him. When he says that they cannot aspire to having the fastest car, he's saying that his crew is worse than the one from the other teams. He's a jerk. A very talented one...

DD

I bet you also thought he was a whiny bitch, when he said that the win in Malaysia didn't change anything and that they still weren't competitive. Alonso was always pretty honest and humble this year. Maybe you should read some of those interviews. But that would be too much to ask, I know.

Yeah, I won, but the team is still shit. Very humble to my eyes...

I'll say this, if I was one of his engineers, working my arse off to try and get him the best car then I'd get real tired of his endless digs. You know that Ferrari has them killing themselves working on upgrades and it's not going to be fun to hear your effort being spat on.

I'm no Hamilton fan, but at least he manages to "whine" about his team whilst accepting that they're working their arses off.

DD

I'll say this, if I was one of his engineers, working my arse off to try and get him the best car then I'd get real tired of his endless digs. You know that Ferrari has them killing themselves working on upgrades and it's not going to be fun to hear your effort being spat on.

I'm no Hamilton fan, but at least he manages to "whine" about his team whilst accepting that they're working their arses off.

That's my point.

I don't like Alonso. I really don't, but I recognise that he's the best driver there. Everyone knows that; everyone says that. Fernando doesn't really need to say that too all the time.

He may be a lot of things, but he's not humble. Not at all...

Yeah, I won, but the team is still shit. Very humble to my eyes...

Domenicali did the same. It was a fact and it showed in the races after Malaysia.

You can work your ass off all you want, if you deliver only lackluster results, it doesn't mean anything. That's a fact. You don't win the WDC or WCC with sympathy alone. "But they tried sooo hard". Also, I didn't see Alonso mentioning that he's the best driver on the grid. I think he said that it was Hamilton.

DD

Domenicali did the same. It was a fact and it showed in the races after Malaysia.

You can work your ass off all you want, if you deliver only lackluster results, it doesn't mean anything. That's a fact. You don't win the WDC or WCC with sympathy alone. "But they tried sooo hard". Also, I didn't see Alonso mentioning that he's the best driver on the grid. I think he said that it was Hamilton.

"When we had a similar car to everyone I think we were leading the Championship, now that we are fighting against Newey's car, let's say, because they are first and second in all the races, it's not only Sebastian."

AKA "I'm the best driver. Vettel is only leading because his papa gave him a toy that is better then mine. But I'm better then him."

It's disrespectiful with his team, the people who work for him. When he says that they cannot aspire to having the fastest car, he's saying that his crew is worse than the one from the other teams. He's a jerk. A very talented one...

Alonso hasn't said anything that's unfair or disrespectful, he's absolutely right. Ferrari aren't doing a good enough job, and there's no point in any Ferrari employee fooling themselves to think otherwise just to save face.

Trulli continually complaining about power steering for weeks on end while his team mate was dealing with it fine, that was whining.

Leunam

Current engine situation for the season:

bvGXT.png

What happens if you run out of engines? I noticed PIC was at 9 out of 8. What is the penalty for going over the limit?

This:

Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines, he will drop 10 places on the starting grid of the event at which an additional unit is to be used.

It's worth noting that they can go back and use old engines. Some will obviously be in better condition than others.

McNum

This:

It's worth noting that they can go back and use old engines. Some will obviously be in better condition than others.
So if you break all eight engines, you'll be starting at Qualifying-10 for the rest of the season? That's... actually pretty fair. Harsh would be simply banning the car, but that would create all kinds of advertising issues, I'd bet.

The last few races could be interesting if even one of the top drivers has an engine failure, doesn't even have to be during the race. Amusingly, Alonso could bounce back simply due to having a fresh engine in reserve when Vettel doesn't.

Leunam

Most of those old engines will still be usable, but there will be a loss of power from the wear they've sustained after a few races.

Joni

So if you break all eight engines, you'll be starting at Qualifying-10 for the rest of the season? That's... actually pretty fair. Harsh would be simply banning the car, but that would create all kinds of advertising issues, I'd bet..

It isn't a problem if they keep reusing that ninth engine. In that case the penalty is applied once.

Omiee

Alonso on his 7th engine with vettel on his 8th. He has not used his 4th engine for more than 1 race so he might use it again.

f0rk

Just got back from a Mercedes F1 careers presentation, I think I'm going to apply for the graduate scheme it sounds pretty sweet.

With the Bonus Question I'll be able to get back Kimi or Alonso..

'Nando is the obvious choice

Or I can stay with Lewis and pick Massa?

tough choice. Romain isn't the most reliable driver

Lach

Alonso on his 7th engine with vettel on his 8th. He has not used his 4th engine for more than 1 race so he might use it again.

He's forth engine is the one from valencia where it blew the Alternator. I have no idea how much that is a part of the engine, but he might not be able to use that one again. He did use the one from Monza again so it might be possible...

The days of blowing through three or four engines per weekend were so much better. Careful resource management can be interesting in other disciplines, but it shouldn't have a place in F1.

9 changes would be using 10 engines technically wouldn't it? Is that the angle you're going for?

/screws up face and does maths

So you'd get two penalties. Don't think of it in terms of changes, because it's irrelevant. You can change your engines as much as you like, you just can't use more than 8 of them without getting a penalty.

Goldrusher

You can use as many engines as you'd like, but the penalty is a 10 place grid drop each time a new additional engine is used.

So if you use engine #9 for the first time, you'll get the penalty.
If you use that engine for a second race, you won't get another penalty.

If you use engine #10, you will get another penalty.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You can use as many engines as you'd like, but the penalty is a 10 place grid drop each time a new additional engine is used.

Correct. Plus you can go back to older engines all you want without penalties. There is no "change" penalty only a "new past 8" penalty.

What's the rule/restriction on gearboxes? I always hear about drivers getting a 5(?) grid spot penalty since they changed the gearbox during the weekend.

I guess the 8 limit doesn't apply?

You have to use them for 5 consecutive races. If you swap it, you get a grid penalty.

I'm not sure if the one you swap in has to last 5 races too.

If the Alonso story is true or not is kind of boring.

Felipe Massa, meanwhile, revealed to Brazil's Totalrace that his F2012 was not in the same specification as Alonso's in India last weekend.

"I had half as much as him," said the Brazilian, "and even more will arrive in Abu Dhabi."

I'm happy that Massa is a lot faster now, even he had not all new parts and the fuel problem last weekend.

Shaneus

Ahhhh. So does that mean if Vettel needs another engine, he'll get a 10 place penalty? You'd have to think that the chances of making one last that many rounds is pretty small. But IIRC from other years you can go back to other engines or something (though I'm probably making it up).

Man, I never figured this, but it can totally be taken that way. From that article (on Nando):
And his characterisation of his title battle as a head-to-head with Red Bull's Adrian Newey might also be interpreted as a slight on Newey's Ferrari equivalents.

But IIRC from other years you can go back to other engines or something (though I'm probably making it up).
Have you read the other related posts? That's exactly what we've been discussing.

You only get a penalty for each engine you use past your 8th. You can swap back to old engines as much as you want, though obviously there's a chance they'll blow / be less powerful than a new engine.

several channels on youtube have complete old races, i believe i got the 75 german gp in youtube, around 3 hours long on the old nordschleife

Seanspeed

Banned
But IIRC from other years you can go back to other engines or something (though I'm probably making it up).
Right. Its not like gearboxes where you have to use them continuously. You can use those 8 engines in any way you want. So long as you dont resort to using a 9th engine, you're good.

Top Bottom