• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Staab

Welp, new entry fees for 2013 :

Autosport said:
The constructors' champions will have to pay a base $500,000 US plus $6000 US per point gained in the standings.

Every other team that wants to enter will have to pay the basic $500,000 US plus $5000 US per point.

Looking at last year's world championship standings, it means teams will see their entry fee costs rise from last year's standard rate of 309,000 Euro ($397,899) to:

Red Bull (650 points) $4.400 million
McLaren (497 points) $2.985 million
Ferrari (375 points) $2.375 million
Mercedes (165 points) $1.325 million
Lotus (73 points) $865,000
Force India (69 points) $845,000
Sauber (44 points) $720,000
Toro Rosso (41 points) $705,000
Williams (5 points) $525,000
Caterham (0 points) $500,000
HRT (0 points) $500,000
Marussia (0 points) $500,000

More at autosport.com

Quite the hike in price if you ask me...
I wonder if we'll be seeing some outfits voluntarily dropping some points at the end of a season if their standings / trophies are not at risk anymore.
A couple of points here and there and they could be saving close to 100k.

Dead Man

Shut up :p

Honestly, I think that F1 just needs to settle for a little while. Quit changing driver lineups like it's going out of fashion and encourage some stability into the sport. There have seemingly been so many rule changes from year to year, that there's rarely anything left from one season to another for teams to build upon (although I'll probably be proved wrong by being told that 2011-2012 had the least amount of driver and rule changes of any year ever or some crap).

Actually, Ham might be a point in your favour, his first few years were fast but... aggressive.

As for the rest, I think there have not been enough rule changes, but they need to do them all at once then let them settle for a few years.

Wait... what the fuck. You have to pay more if you're better? That's fucking ridiculous.

Unrelated to that, Hamilton looks insanely quick here.

Dead Man

This entry fee system is about as well thought out as the Badminton tournament format in the recent Olympics. :p

Indeed. Although the teams do get money based on where they finish in the constructers table too. Hopefully that is enough to remove any incentive to lose.

Omiee

Terrible. More reason for teams to form a break away championship eventually. Fuck the FIA!

its horrible news for the lower teams.

i think teams like mclaren red bull etc should not complain.

Doesn't the constructor winner get something like 200 mil or something?

Chris R

Decent practice but the only way the race doesn't finish VET/WEB/HAM is if one of them has some kind of issue or screws up.

Omiee

Getting out of the car together?

racepictures_1351847202.4.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is the entry fee higher for the better teams because they have a higher chance of getting more money at the end of the season?

duckroll

its horrible news for the lower teams.

i think teams like mclaren red bull etc should not complain.

Doesn't the constructor winner get something like 200 mil or something?

I don't think it matters though. The point isn't whether a team can afford it, the question is what message this sends in sports. If you are being penalized in some way for doing your best, that doesn't make any sense. There is actually an incentive here for a team which has a comfortable point position at the end of the championship to not finish any of the remaining races. There is on the other hand, no real incentive for them to get any points at all in that situation. It's really stupid!

I don't think it matters though. The point isn't whether a team can afford it, the question is what message this sends in sports. If you are being penalized in some way for doing your best, that doesn't make any sense. There is actually an incentive here for a team which has a comfortable point position at the end of the championship to not finish any of the remaining races. There is on the other hand, no real incentive for them to get any points at all in that situation. It's really stupid!

Even if you don't win the championship, where you finish in the championship and how much coverage your cars get play a huge part in attracting sponsorship. These fees are pretty dumb, I agree, but I think it's silly to think teams would actually willingly drop points because of it.

Those that are faster get considerably more return from the sport, ergo, it's entirely fair that they should pay more for entry.

So pay them less, don't punish them for the success of the year before.

That's like charging Usain Bolt more money every time he breaks a world record just because he's able to get more sponsorship. Utterly pathetic.

That's effectively what's happening, they're just not putting it that way. Teams get the cut of commercial revenue based on where they end, and they pay this fee based on how well they do. In effect they're just getting less money since they get their sum and in turn hand it back. I wonder if it was just easier to do this than try to renegotiate award money?

Dead Man

That's effectively what's happening, they're just not putting it that way. Teams get the cut of commercial revenue based on where they end, and they pay this fee based on how well they do. In effect they're just getting less money since they get their sum and in turn hand it back. I wonder if it was just easier to do this than try to renegotiate award money?

I think the commercial revenue sharing is in the Concorde agreement, probably can't change it.

Honestly, I think that F1 just needs to settle for a little while. Quit changing driver lineups like it's going out of fashion and encourage some stability into the sport.

Its not like teams have a choice. The commercial revenue/constructors distribution is so skewered, that midfield-bottom teams get peanuts at the end of the season. Also, with very little money received from "sponsors", they're forced to get their money from pay drivers instead.

Its a sad state nowadays where a driver is only as good as the money he brings in. Back in the day, money was never an issue for a driver and his raw driving talents determined whether he'll get a seat or not.

Its not like teams have a choice. The commercial revenue/constructors distribution is so skewered, that midfield-bottom teams get peanuts at the end of the season. Also, with very little money received from "sponsors", they're forced to get their money from pay drivers instead.

Its a sad state nowadays where a driver is only as good as the money he brings in. Back in the day, money was never an issue for a driver and his raw driving talents determined whether he'll get a seat or not.

Kobayashi agrees with you, which is why he probably has to leave.

"At this moment of course the money is very important, but I really want to be like a top driver without a sponsor, with a good team. This is what I was dreaming about when I was younger.

"To bring a sponsor is maybe very important for the future. We are missing how a driver really has to be, thinking about the car. This is part of the driver's job. But now it looks like it's more about sponsorship. It's not a way a driver has to be."

What is "back in the day" for you? because Alonso and Schumacher were paydriver for example.

Shaneus

This was on my FB feed. I swear I didn't do it myself:
kmeVI.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what the broadcast deal is, but the V8 Supercars are at Abu Dhabi as well this weekend! Depending on how they work it (and/or broadcast it on the Beeb) but if you get a chance, watch it!

Remember when this season was still fun, and people crowned Alonso champion after 2 races and called him the luckiest person in the world?

Those were the days, man! Those were the days.

tumblr_m8pvmtaVrB1r6r7t1.gif

Came across interesting detail today. Kimi is only driver this year that has driven every lap in every race. Also aside of China he as scored points in every race. Lotus really has reliable car with reliable driver.

Remember when this season was still fun, and people crowned Alonso champion after 2 races and called him the luckiest person in the world?

He pretty much was right the way up to Belgium when he got taken out. He'd had some astonishing good fortune in some of the races before that, but I guess it all balances out over time.

mclaren777

Anybody else to add?

Official List of USGP Attendees
• AndyD – GA
• Yoritomo – T2
• TylerD – T12
• rhfb – T12
• mclaren777 – T12
• tarby – T12
• ConfusingJazz –
• omgimaninja –

That's like charging Usain Bolt more money every time he breaks a world record just because he's able to get more sponsorship. Utterly pathetic.
I was shocked to just read about this whole points and fee system. Has this been going on forever in F1? Seems kinda ridiculous. There has to be a better way to handle something like this.

Brewer

Neo Member
Hamilton looking strong! Only 2 laps for Vettel with 12 min. left of P3, looks like that they have some problems with his brakes?

Omiee

Let's hope his engine gives way too. Come on, this championship might still get interesting! Lol. :(

if that happens alonso should not be on the podium so they have almost the same points going to austin.

but offcourse i hope its alonso who is the one with the engine problem :p

ramparter

Banned

Those were the days, man! Those were the days.

I remember insisting that Vettel was the lucky one but people could only see Alonso's points advantage.

Let's hope his engine gives way too. Come on, this championship might still get interesting! Lol. :(

Still it's not fun to watch a race that you know who will win unless his engine blows. Regardless of the Championship fight, the last races have been dull, zero interest compared to the first half of the season.

Top Bottom