• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Mohonky

KuGsj.gif

See, this is where most of the people here would disagree with you. Vettel is such a nice, charismatic and funny guy.

It's just that no one wants to see him win.
KuGsj.gif

Part of my annoyance with him is having to see Omiees avatar. It bugs me.

Vettel seems like a nice guy; but he is such a whiny little bitch when it doesnt go his way. It happens to everyone but the way his demeanor changes when he doesnt win or finish where he wants. It isnt his character in general that annoys me, its the way he deals with situations that havent gone his way. Yes drivers get annoyed, but he acts like a he is so entitled.

Why would Renault ask him to stop the car when he's a few seconds from rolling into the pits anyways? Honest question because I don't know much about parts and how this stuff works. Why make him stop on the track and tow it back?

Igo

Lewis destroyed everyone out there today. The guy just loves this track.

Driver X on pole, damnn the driver is the best around, in another class, man he is amazing.

Vettel on pole, yeah newey improved the car again.
I think you'll find that Vettel also gets praised when he qualifies almost half a second ahead of his competitors and teammate.

Was lewis purple in his final lap before he abandoned it?

Jibbed

Lewis destroyed everyone out there today. The guy just loves this track.

I think you'll find that Vettel also gets praised when he qualifies almost half a second ahead of his competitors and teammate.

Was lewis purple in his final lap before he abandoned it?

Lewis was purple in S1, not sure about S2 before he left it though. He could've gone <1:40.5.

Great quali by Hamilton, Maldocrasho and Kimster.. Grosjean was on a fast lap as well he would've surely came ahead of Alonso, but for some reason (mistake maybe?) his s3 time was abysmal

Question: Isn't Alonso hailed as the best "car developer" on the grid? Didn't he bring "0.6 tenths" to McLaren in 2007? He went back to Renault for two years and the car was shit and got shittier, he goes to Ferrari where the car was really good in 2010 and only got worst with time!

Now I hope Alonso gets a good start or Vettel a crappy start so they can finish the race close to each other. I'd hate to watch the next two races if the WDC is anything but confirmed to one of them

So what's the news on Vettel? Starting from the back? Could make for an interesting race if he does... though I suspect getting anywhere near Alonso would be really difficult on this track as it's not exactly renowned for overtaking.

It isnt his character in general that annoys me, its the way he deals with situations that havent gone his way. Yes drivers get annoyed, but he acts like a he is so entitled.
I think you might be projecting a little there. You should actually watch some of his interviews after he's had problems lately. He tends to handle it very well now (if you go back a few years he acted like you're saying).

As for the gif, he looks gutted to me. Hardly throwing his steering wheel across the track or gesticulating wildly is he.

Shaneus

Is this the first time that Webber has started an entire row ahead of Vettel? Every time I can think of Webber qualifying ahead of him, it's been whilst on the same row.

Hope he can make something of it. I'm not sure of the exact layout of Abu Dhabi, but with any luck Webber can get a decent start to make sure it's at least a three horse race and not just another Vettelfest.

Nobody has said that. Why the hell do you do this? I like you most of the time, but this shit is getting old.
*nods*

kharma45

Just caught up with quali, another MSC fuck up :(

Alonso will need a strong race but I think Hamilton should cream it if he gets off the line cleanly, he was in a class of one today.

I think you might be projecting a little there. You should actually watch some of his interviews after he's had problems lately. He tends to handle it very well now (if you go back a few years he acted like you're saying).

To be completely fair, I remember Vettel not taking RBR's pace at the start of this year particularly well. He seems to have a lot in common with old Schumacher in that respect; he's able to show humility as long as he feels he has a competitive advantage (such as now), but as soon as he's genuinely struggling, not so much.

I couldn't see him handling Button's Honda years anywhere near as well as he did, for instance.

As for the race, I can't help but suspect that the Red Bull's will have the edge over a race distance.

Mastah

Kevin Eason &#8207;@easonF1

Ridiculous. Told that a Vettel decision will be another hour at least. Charlie Whiting, race director, has gone for dinner

LOL

Is this the first time that Webber has started an entire row ahead of Vettel? Every time I can think of Webber qualifying ahead of him, it's been whilst on the same row.

Brazil 09 - Webber P2, Vettel P16. I don't know about dry qualis though.

Adamm

Jake Humphrey &#8207;@mrjakehumphrey

Gary Anderson on it - was just now the only man to grab Christian Horner...CH said fuel issue and we'll find outcome 'shortly' #bbcf1

Doesnt look good for Vettel

But thats not a bad thing since its not vettel so...
I just want Vettel and Alonso to be within 5 points of eachother going into brazil. I want a meaningful final 3 races.

So, if being happy if Vettel starts from the back tomorrow and hoping Alonso gets in the top 3 makes me a bad person, then I'm sorry I'm a bad person. :(

No points from Vettel and a 3rd place Alonso gets us a 2 point Alonso lead going into the final two races. Or a 4th place finish from Alonso leaves us with a 1 point Vettel lead if that makes you feel any better, Ommie. :p

I'm just dreamin out loud here though.

Shaneus

Brazil 09 - Webber P2, Vettel P16. I don't know about dry qualis though.
Ah, I was actually referring to this year. I'm certain there were times more recently than that where Webber was on a different, better starting row to Seb.

Actually, fuck. Monaco this year. Nevermind. And I'm sure there was at least one other race where Mark made it through to Q3 and Seb didn't (this year).

Omiee

I just want Vettel and Alonso to be within 5 points of eachother going into brazil. I want a meaningful final 3 races.

So, if being happy if Vettel starts from the back tomorrow and hoping Alonso gets in the top 3 makes me a bad person, then I'm sorry I'm a bad person. :(

No points from Vettel and a 3rd place Alonso gets us a 2 point Alonso lead going into the final two races. Or a 4th place finish from Alonso leaves us with a 1 point Vettel lead if that makes you feel any better, Ommie. :p

I'm just dreamin out loud here though.

obviously that would cause some excitement and would be awesome. but my heart could not handle that =P

thats why i want vettel to finish in the points today and keep a small lead over alonso.

EDIT:
BREAKING: Vettel likely to be sent to back of grid with quali fuel issue. #F1 #Formula1

Fuuuuck.

Adamm

obviously that would cause some excitement and would be awesome. but my heart could not handle that =P

thats why i want vettel to finish in the points today and keep a small lead over alonso.

EDIT:

Fuuuuck.

Small lead is fine :p Big lead is bad :D

& where did you get that news about vettel getting sent to the back of the grid? or is it just speculation?

EDIT:

Fuuuuck.
And we officially have ourselves some F1 drama, folks. :D

Small lead is fine :p Big lead is bad :D

& where did you get that news about vettel getting sent to the back of the grid? or is it just speculation?
I think Omiee got that from this twitter feed: https://twitter.com/f1grid/status/264777267312463875

Not sure how official yet.

Ark

I haven't seen the quali yet, but if Vettel's issue is at all similar to Hamilton's in Spain, it'll be a crime if he doesn't get the same punishment.

Shaneus

Now Formula 1 &#8207;@NowFormula1

REPORTS: Vettel HAS been thrown out of qualifying & will start 24th. #F1

No idea how accurate that is, though. One thing's for sure... can't feel good, man:
qil0U.jpg

Have to wonder why, if it is fuel, they'd cut it so close. Surely they didn't think an extra kilo or so of fuel would make such a difference as to cost him a decent grid position?

Edit: Can someone clarify what happened with Hamilton in Spain?

Omiee

Ah right, not confirmed yet. Although since it seems to be a fuel issue, it should be the likely outcome.

Title fight or not, I'd still love to see what vettel can do from the back of the grid :p

sorry omiee :(

To be completely honest i would like to see what he can do as well. He should have no problem finishing in the points i guess.

And a extra kilo of fuel is a few tenths of your lap.

Hamilton got a penalty and started at the back of the grid. He as well had to stop because of no fuel. But vettel said during the press conference it was a problem but nothing serious. That does not sound like fuel issues.

Joni

Vettel can prove himself tomorrow and show that he is a deserving winner by going up from last place to the points, something that is worth more than starting first, leading every lap and finishing first.

jamesallenonf1.com said:
Lewis Hamilton has been excluded from qualifying by the FIA race stewards in Barcelona. It means that he will have to start tomorrow’s Spanish Grand Prix from the back of the grid.

Hamilton had 1.3 litres of fuel in the car on his cool down lap when the McLaren team told him to switch off the engine. The rules say that a car must have 0.5 litres for a sample, plus enough to get the car back to the pits, which is around 2.5 litres on this track.

If Vettel ran out of fuel then the only option is to start from the back of the grid.

Adamm

Now Formula 1 &#8207;@NowFormula1

REPORTS: Vettel HAS been thrown out of qualifying & will start 24th. #F1

No idea how accurate that is, though. One thing's for sure... can't feel good, man:

Have to wonder why, if it is fuel, they'd cut it so close. Surely they didn't think an extra kilo or so of fuel would make such a difference as to cost him a decent grid position?

I though the same thing, why take the risk? Unless thats why the decision is taking so long because of some mix up with the fuel or engine problems.

Hamilton had to stop out on track after qualifying in spain because he did not have enough fuel to get back to the pits & he did not have the 1 litre required for the FIA to test after qualifying. So all his qualifying laps were voided & he start 24th on the grid.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This is the most exciting thing that's happened for a long time. What luck!

It was only a matter of time before the RBR juggernaut had a problem though.

Mastah

Ah, I was actually referring to this year. I'm certain there were times more recently than that where Webber was on a different, better starting row to Seb.

Actually, fuck. Monaco this year. Nevermind. And I'm sure there was at least one other race where Mark made it through to Q3 and Seb didn't (this year).

That was China.

kharma45

Well that makes the Championship a lot more interesting again.

Could see Vettel though storming through the field and getting into top 5 or 6.

Adamm

if it really is a fuel issue than RBR are fucking stupid for risking their championship hopes by doing that.

Well I'm assuming it wasn't a straight forward as Red Bull under fueling him, which I'm assuming why its taking so long to make a decision.

Either some mix up, or engines problems probably caused him to run out of fuel & the stewards need to decide whether it was avoidable or not

Alonso about to be gifted the championship?

decision to be made in 15min.

Really? Dont start this

Omiee

Lets be honest though this decision could be crucial for the championship.

Im not saying its unfair or what ever im just stating it could be crucial.

why would renault ask RBR to stop the car if its a fuel issue?

Adamm

Lets be honest though this decision could be crucial for the championship.

Im not saying its unfair or what ever im just stating it could be crucial.

There is a difference between being crucial to be championship & being "gifted" to Alonso.

Alonso will start in 6th place tomorrow if Vettel gets punished. He will still need to move up at least 3 places to overtake Vettel in the championship, that's assuming vettel scores nothing, which he probably will.

This is why people complain about your posts

Omiee

Looking at how hamilton has driven compared to button this year i think its going to be a huge let down for mclaren to lose him next year.

Either horner is lying about it coming from Renault or this is bullshit and something else.

Why would Renault tell RBR to stop the car for fuel reasons. RBR would see it themselves.

Could it be the alternator than its a 10 place drop or something right?

Vettel can prove himself tomorrow and show that he is a deserving winner by going up from last place to the points, something that is worth more than starting first, leading every lap and finishing first.

Why? We would forget this race two weeks later like Spa this year, so that he is still "unproven"...

There is a difference between being crucial to be championship & being "gifted" to Alonso.

Alonso will start in 6th place tomorrow if Vettel gets punished. He will still need to move up at least 3 places to overtake Vettel in the championship, that's assuming vettel scores nothing, which he probably will.

This is why people complain about your posts

You have to accept that Alonso is just a very, very lucky driver.

Top Bottom