• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

hmmm..........

kimi%20tom%20hunt.jpg

you posted this pic earlier this year :lol

I love that Villeneuve is slagging off Vettel. If you look up "One Trick Pony" it is a picture of Villeneuve in his frumpy overalls. He was the most mediocre driver to ever win the title.

Ahhh, Austin is so close. I am excited to go to Austin, and Texas for that fact, for the first time. Will be flying out tomorrow afternoon.

Dead Man

I love that Villeneuve is slagging off Vettel. If you look up "One Trick Pony" it is a picture of Villeneuve in his frumpy overalls. He was the most mediocre driver to ever win the title.

Ahhh, Austin is so close. I am excited to go to Austin, and Texas for that fact, for the first time. Will be flying out tomorrow afternoon.

Damon Hill

He's basically a nobody these days, still desperately trading on his old name.

F1 Slate has him pretty much perfect.

Michael Andretti believes Ron Dennis and Bernie Ecclestone conspired to make him look bad:

"The international appeal of the CART series was strong in the mid-nineties and Bernie was worried about our series," Michael says. "I think I was used as a tool. I think Bernie and Ron were in it together. I think they wanted to discredit me because I was one of the big guys in Indy cars and they wanted to make me look like a wanker so they could say we couldn't make it in Formula One. That's what I believe happened.

"They were all in it together. They were all making millions, hundreds of millions of dollars. They were all in business together. Racing is secondary in Formula One. Nobody really cares about what's going on the racetrack. It's unbelievable!"

Adds Michael: "We tested in Spain the day after the race that year and both me and Ayrton were within a tenth of a second of each other and were running times that would have put us on the front row. Ayrton had qualified third and I was about 20th. So I was saying, 'I'm not doing anything different. How can this be?' And they were saying, 'Oh, Ayrton doesn't test that fast.' And I said, 'But our times are quick enough today to be on the front row.'."

Michael swears that a key McLaren team member deactivated his car's active suspension system for qualifying that weekend.

"Someone shut my beacon off in qualifying," he insists disgustedly. "I know who it was--a guy who didn't want me there at all. He shut my beacon off and those were all active cars and my car was just lost. The ride heights were changing and it was downshifting in the middle of the corners and I qualified 16th or something. That night Ron said, 'I want you out of the car after the race.'

"I finished sixth in the race. I passed Barrichello on the last turn on the last lap to get in the points and Ron called and said, 'I want you out of the car.' We fought from race to race. That was the sixth race and I made it all the way to Monza fighting to stay in the car. And finally they put Mika (Hakkinen) in who never was quicker than me in testing.

Yoritomo

He shares the opinion that lots of people have about Vettel. All I have to say is Poor Poor Vettel, nobody likes him but he's winning and constantly setting records. I'm a Vettel fan and tend to agree. I don't think he has the raw talent of Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, and probably a few others on the track.

According to David Coulthard, Vettel is the first driver to arrive on practice and qualifying days and the last to leave. His temperament was also apparent last year when after blowing his tire he immediately went to a data logger to check what happened instead of just hanging out. He works harder than they do, he's more involved with his team. He's in constant communication with his engineer, it's not just "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing." Questions whining, comments, communication. Based on what Villeneuve describes about Newey it also leads me to believe that Vettel is the perfect Newey driver, hard working, highly communicative, and willing to learn what to do to improve.

It's why I'm rooting for him.

Michael Andretti believes Ron Dennis and Bernie Ecclestone conspired to make him look bad:

Is that a recent quote? He still doesn't get it. There's no way he was hired in the first place to make CART look bad. I'm sure Bernie was laughing on the way out the door, but that's to be expected. The perception was that he lacked commitment, and that was his undoing at McLaren. If people were fucking with him, it was because of that.

He was also one of racing's greatest whiners. Nobody liked him here in the US either.

He shares the opinion that lots of people have about Vettel. All I have to say is Poor Poor Vettel, nobody likes him but he's winning and constantly setting records. I'm a Vettel fan and tend to agree. I don't think he has the raw talent of Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, and probably a few others on the track.

I'm interested to know how you can measure raw talent.

Yoritomo

I'm interested to know how you can measure raw talent.

No one can really. Perhaps the ability to be the fastest right out of the gates with the least amount of information.

I dunno man, everyone has this opinion about Vettel and it still seems odd to me at times. Sure, kimi has blindingly fast hands, Alonso can drive a shitty car fast, and Hamilton can drift anything and is pretty good in the wet, while also being great at qualifying.

However when Vettel is pushing in open air, you'll see his lap times decrease by the exact amount that should result from a fuel reduction in the previous lap, I've seen him do 5 laps+ in a row that were within a hundredth of a second of what the predicted lap time would be if if you calculated his coming lap based on slightly reduced fuel and his previous laptime, he's rarely had a slower Q3 time than his Q2 time. When it comes to preparation and precision Vettel seems to take the cake, but all these people constantly slag him and they know more about racing than I do. He controls tire temp and tire wear better than his teammate. He drifts through a corner while keeping his foot in then pulls fastest lap without being shaken the next lap. So part of me doesn't get it. I'd love to analyze all the telemetry of every driver to figure out who the best is but I don't have that info, so I have to take other people's word for it.

According to them he's nothing special and it's all Newey.

I think a lot of "raw talent" drivers are really just inconsistent drivers or in inconsistent teams. When you don't qualify as well as you should you'll always have the opportunity to crush people by taking a faster car through the grid (see Vettel last race). That sort of action always makes you look good.

Same thing goes if you've got an inconsistent team or shitty teammates making you look like a god. :)

That said, I still think Alonso and Hamilton are the best drivers in F1 at the moment. I wont be able to properly judge Vettel until he goes up against them, or one of their old teammates. It's far too easy to just say it's the car though... and for what it's worth I knew Vettel was something special when I saw him driving the Torro Rosso in his first full season (I should dig up some of my old posts!).

No one can really. Perhaps the ability to be the fastest right out of the gates with the least amount of information.

I dunno man, everyone has this opinion about Vettel and it still seems odd to me at times. Sure, kimi has blindingly fast hands, Alonso can drive a shitty car fast, and Hamilton can drift anything and is pretty good in the wet, while also being great at qualifying.

However when Vettel is pushing in open air, you'll see his lap times decrease by the exact amount that should result from a fuel reduction in the previous lap, I've seen him do 5 laps+ in a row that were within a hundredth of a second of what the predicted lap time would be if if you calculated his coming lap based on slightly reduced fuel and his previous laptime, he's rarely had a slower Q3 time than his Q2 time. When it comes to preparation and precision Vettel seems to take the cake, but all these people constantly slag him and they know more about racing than I do. He controls tire temp and tire wear better than his teammate. He drifts through a corner while keeping his foot in then pulls fastest lap without being shaken the next lap. So part of me doesn't get it. I'd love to analyze all the telemetry of every driver to figure out who the best is but I don't have that info, so I have to take other people's word for it.

According to them he's nothing special and it's all Newey.

so you "blame" Vettel that he can drive constantly ~100%?

raw talent is a non-argument and why should I put "raw talent", all top drivers have more than enough talent, over a great work attitude?

And Newey is a great guy but his cars were not all in a different league in the last 12 years.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone at COTA already? First impressions?

Also, any feedback on the shuttle from downtown? We're coming in tomorrow and I am curious if the shuttle works out OK.

G-Unit

wHO cares!, schumie is the greatest I have ever seen...Back to back to back record lap times. I miss those times. Damn you nature! Y U MAKES US GET OLD!?

Yoritomo

I've got airport parking passes, so we'll be shuttled in from there. Downtown is going to be insane. I'm bringing my CSW Formula Rim down. Hoping to get it signed by Vettel. Lens rental arrived yesterday (just a 70-300 I've already got a 80-200 2.8). Earplugs and bags are packed. There's a slight chance of light showers or drizzle over the weekend. We'll have 2 fanvision units as well so I'm bringing my IEMs.

All ready, just have to finish some stuff up for work. I'm pretty damned excited.

Chris R

Ya downtown is going to be crazy. Only saw the tower since I was on the wrong side if the plane flying in. In San Antonio at the moment, great weather though (60s and overcast) wouldn't mind seeing some rain though.

Shaneus

Fuck it, it's Thursday in Australia... just do it.

Be good to get the new thread going soon!

We need to get more of GAF into the sport.
It'd help if we weren't shuffled off into "Community". This the growth of members in this thread has stalled as much as Webber does at the starting line :(

TylerD

I got into Austin around 8:30 Wednesday morning. Passed a couple of Ferrari Challenge team haulers on the interstate. Stopped by Round Rock Donuts and got a half dozen of the famous orange glazed, a fried cinnamon roll, a Bavarian cream eclair, and a jalapeno sausage kolache. I definitely recommend the place.

It turns out that I am staying right off Lamar which is a 10 cab ride down town or a 3 mile drive So my proximity is good.

there isn't a ton going on down town het but you can tell they are setting up for something big. I probably walked about 5 or 6 miles around downtown and the University of Texas. After I got to my car I went down south congress avenue to hit a recommended place from one of my friends.

Place is called Hopdoddy and it is a Burger bar. I had a feaux Kobe burger that was really good and accompanied it with an order of hand cut fries to dip in Chile con queso. I had to get a Nutella chocolate pretzel milkshake too.

That is pretty much it for today. I am going to do some research online and plan my exploration for tomorrow.

Bulk_Rate

Petrov and the a few guys from the Caterham team made an appearance at my work today. He looked pretty tired but was an amiable pro with the Q&A and got quite a few laughs from the audience.

I will be watching the GP from my comfy couch. Not gonna deal with the zoo this year. Will check out the V8 Supercars fo' sure next year.

I hope Austin PD has been given guidance to lighten the **** up from their usual approach to dealing with partiers,given the number of Europeans who will doubtless flood Sixth Street, etc. in Austin.

Mobius 1

I got into Austin around 8:30 Wednesday morning. Passed a couple of Ferrari Challenge team haulers on the interstate. Stopped by Round Rock Donuts and got a half dozen of the famous orange glazed, a fried cinnamon roll, a Bavarian cream eclair, and a jalapeno sausage kolache. I definitely recommend the place.

It turns out that I am staying right off Lamar which is a 10 cab ride down town or a 3 mile drive So my proximity is good.

there isn't a ton going on down town het but you can tell they are setting up for something big. I probably walked about 5 or 6 miles around downtown and the University of Texas. After I got to my car I went down south congress avenue to hit a recommended place from one of my friends.

Place is called Hopdoddy and it is a Burger bar. I had a feaux Kobe burger that was really good and accompanied it with an order of hand cut fries to dip in Chile con queso. I had to get a Nutella chocolate pretzel milkshake too.

That is pretty much it for today. I am going to do some research online and plan my exploration for tomorrow.

Go to Torchy's and get the best tacos mankind has endeavored to make. Make that a priority if you can't go anywhere else.

There is a dude downtown that sells bacon wrapped hot-dogs and they are splendid.

Also, go to Chilantro. And 3Forks if you want an upscale dining experience.

Anyway, looks like Google Maps updated with higher resolutions images of the circuit. I personally think the stars to be gaudy and unnecessary. If there was really a need to boast patriotism in the track's decoration, they should have resorted to a more subtle stripe pattern.

I sort of regret not buying better tickets and going with GA ones, but I seriously doubted the race was going to take place. I don't know what to expect in terms of optimal spots, so Friday practice will also be scouting for a position to see the race. And it's getting cold, a lot more than expected. Hope we can dodge the rain.

Does anybody know anything about the Historic F1 race that's taking place over the weekend?

AcridMeat

Banned
Now you understand the pain and sacrifice of being an F1 fan in America. 3/4 of the races in the season happen here at either 3 or 7 AM.
Ha yep. It's a wonder there isn't a bigger fanbase here...

Sounds like a good experience so far. Is this your first time in Austin?

Didn't see it mentioned in here, but Speed is going to air Practice 1 and 3 in addition to Practice 2, qualifying, and the race itself.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-returns-to-us-this-week-on-speed/
Friday, Nov. 16
Practice Session One (10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., LIVE)
Mobil 1 The Grid (Noon to 12:30 p.m.)
Practice Session Two (2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., LIVE)

Saturday, Nov. 17
Practice Session Three (10 a.m. to 11 a.m., LIVE)
Qualifying Session (1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., LIVE)

Sunday, Nov. 18
F1 Grand Prix of the United States (1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., LIVE)

duckroll

Is it just me or is the level of interest in the US GP just... generally low. For a new track in a major country, it seems like there's no hype for it at all. If true, that would be unfortunate. :(

Why so late???

People underestimate how much time it takes to create good and quality OTs like Leunam is doing them. It gets worse when you have a busy job and/or life and just don't have that much free time. And the worst part is that most people still just glance over it, without really appreciating the effort and once the OT hits page 2, no one is going to read it anyway.

This is one of the rare cases were I can say that you should be glad that he's doing it.

Adamm

Is it just me or is the level of interest in the US GP just... generally low. For a new track in a major country, it seems like there's no hype for it at all. If true, that would be unfortunate. :(

Hype from who?
I thought most F1 fans were really excited about this race, or do mean mor casual/non-f1 fans?

Personally I cannot wait!

Az

I was planning to go with some friends but it fell through due to my job change coming up. It sucks that Formula 1 is so expensive to watch live so people that are not 100% into it don't have a reason to go see it.

pants

Last US GP I remember had three (or was it two?) teams racing due to a tire fiasco. "US GP" just brings up unsavory memories for me.

Sitting on my ass finishing up some work in Brooklyn, only a few more hours and I'll be in Austin. Feels weird. Any GAFers going to be at turn 12 grandstand?

Also of note, "no alcoholic beverages or coolers allowed on premise" FUUUUUUUUCK that. Montreal GP already > than US GP. Looks like I will be spending entirely too much money on shitty Budweiser all weekend.

Top Bottom