• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

I actually agree with that one. Always seemed a bit stupid that you could use DRS everywhere in qualifying.

Indeed. As is pointed out in the Autosport article, this should lead to DRS systems being designed specifically for the single purpose of straight line speed (as opposed to overall qualifying performance etc), which should make them more effective as an overtaking tool.

As for front wing tests, there's nothing anti-Red Bull about it. The letter of the rules does not allow for flexible bodywork to aid performance, but the FIA can only enforce that rule by testing the cars in a set condition. As long as the teams manage to build wings that flex in other conditions, the FIA are going to have to continually revise the tests.

I think it's logical to have DRS be limited, but as a spectator I think it's very cool to have them constantly pushing for that perfect lap, opening the wing wherever possible as soon as possible.

I'll miss that.

DRS limited to activation zones during qualifying makes perfect sense to me. It always seemed silly to allow them unrestricted during qualifying.

Edit: Just saw the NBC sports lineup. Thank god it's not the IndyCar morons. That's definitely a step in the right direction. Now if they'll only broadcast all practices and use their side by side commercial breaks it'll definitely be an improvement.

On the shuttle bus to the track. I've overheard a bunch of people saying they have been to a bunch of races before but never F1. So happy to see people coming out to see some serious race cars. I think the attendance is goin to be nuts. So many people already just for Friday practice.

Omiee

FIA is really frustrating me the last few years. I thought formula 1 was the sport that pushed boundaries. Now we are getting limited by what is possible.

mblitek

I think it's logical to have DRS be limited, but as a spectator I think it's very cool to have them constantly pushing for that perfect lap, opening the wing wherever possible as soon as possible.

I'll miss that.

I completely agree. It's such a fine balance and shows more ability from the car and driver when it is able to have the DRS open coming out of corners and the KERS button pressed. Warp speed ahead!

Ohhhhh, new thread. Whoops.

Yen

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Sauber sponsor Carlos Slim has told Mexico's Cancha Esteban Gutierrez will definitely be driving for the team next year

mblitek

FIA is really frustrating me the last few years. I thought formula 1 was the sport that pushed boundaries. Now we are getting limited by what is possible.

Exactly. I'd rather have 10 teams that can afford it rather than limit and stop innovation.

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Sauber sponsor Carlos Slim has told Mexico's Cancha Esteban Gutierrez will definitely be driving for the team next year

Ugh, as much as I like the fact he can provide money to Sauber I'd rather see...Koby :(

Shaneus

It makes me so damn pissed off when financial backing seems to be much more of an influence on whether you get a seat or not over driving skill. There are exceptions (look at Ricciardo and Vergne, for example) but when a country's sole representative can't get a drive (let alone one who comes from a country where there's an actual race) you really have to wonder whether a serious rethink on how the whole system works is in order.

Mastah

Yeah, it's not like Kobayashi got to F1 due to billions Toyota was throwing away on their F1 project... Oh, wait.

Also, Hulk without money will switch next year to another midfield team, which is, as we all know, Sauber. It seems they have no problem hiring driver purely for his driving skills, so if Kobayashi was good, he would stay where he is now. But he's not and there are drivers out there as fast or faster WITH money. This decision is no brainer, really.

Personally I would like to see da Costa or Frijns in F1 before Gutierrez, but I see no problem with signing Esteban. Kobayashi got to F1 after fantastic 16th places in his two GP2 seasons, when his teammate, the almighty Jerome d'Ambrosio, whooped his ass by 50-23 in points. Somehow when Gutierrez, with better results in GP2, is about to sign, it's because of the money. Fair treatment, hell yeah.

dalin80

Banned
Wont have a chance to watch this one but I hope the grip is as bad as being made out, could be fun. Looks like vettel is going to wrap up another easy championship being handed to him though which is a damn shame, would have been nice to see one of the better drivers actually get a chance.

Lach

Yeah, it's not like Kobayashi got to F1 due to billions Toyota was throwing away on their F1 project... Oh, wait.

Also, Hulk without money will switch next year to another midfield team, which is, as we all know, Sauber. It seems they have no problem hiring driver purely for his driving skills, so if Kobayashi was good, he would stay where he is now. But he's not and there are drivers out there as fast or faster WITH money. This decision is no brainer, really.

Personally I would like to see da Costa or Frijns in F1 before Gutierrez, but I see no problem with signing Esteban. Kobayashi got to F1 after fantastic 16th places in his two GP2 seasons, when his teammate, the almighty Jerome d'Ambrosio, whooped his ass by 50-23 in points. Somehow when Gutierrez, with better results in GP2, is about to sign, it's because of the money. Fair treatment, hell yeah.

Yeah I agree. I love Kobayashi, but to say Guiterrez is only getting the seat only for the money is not very fair. I was worried that Sauber had sold a seat to Perez two years ago but he turned out to be a great talent. Esteban has been doing well in GP2 so if he's a good driver and brings in good sponsors it's a better situation than a good driver that doesn't (sadly) bring any money.

Shaneus

Oh, my intention was never to infer that he's only getting KK's seat *solely* for the money, but that money is such a factor in determining whether an existing driver is skilful enough for warrant having a drive or not.

Adamm

Poor Kobayashi :( but it was kind of expected

There isn't any other seats on the grid were he has a chance of going either is there?

Shaneus

Oh, and I posted it in the other thread but it's probably more relevant here:
486383_10151104178135906_630634554_n.jpg

Wooo!

Bagerk

Got home from Friday night out at 9am Saturday. Slept, got up at 1pm, started drinking at 2pm. Around 1am thought to myself that I should sleep and then get up for quali so set my alarm for 4am. Realised the Aus v Eng rugby test was on so ended up watching a good game of rugby while continuing to drink and now I feel I'm locked in to still be awake for quali. Fuck the end of season time zones. Also, fuck my ability to drink.

Fisico

Grosjean got the usual penalty for changing the gearbox of his car, judging how the Lotus is slow on the track so far, we can assume there's no way he's gonna crash into anyone at the top of the grid.

AAequal

Banned
I just got the news and I'm so happy finally see Kobi out. Always hated the guy. Esteban Gutiérrez is great choice, I have followed his career from the BMW days and he has great potential. Probably won't spend much time in Sauber before some big team recruits him. It's great to see more latin american drives in F1. Maybe we will see the return of Mexican GP in the near future. Two races in US and one in Mexico.

Niks

I just got the news and I'm so happy finally see Kobi out. Always hated the guy. Esteban Gutiérrez is great choice, I have followed his career from the BMW days and he has great potential. Probably won't spend much time in Sauber before some big team recruits him. It's great to see more latin american drives in F1. Maybe we will see the return of Mexican GP in the near future. Two races in US and one in Mexico.

KesBd.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
:(

Shaneus

What was the race he absolutely beasted last year? Was that Suzuka?

Fuck that was great to watch. I'm pretty sure there was no room in the cockpit for his seat at all given how big his balls must have been that day.

AAequal

Banned
Joke account. Nobody hates KK.
I so do. He was Takumi Sato all over again. Seems like internet does love anyone or anything from Japan. Dude was mediocre driver at best, fumbled more then few great starts where he actually had chance to prove himself. At least now the phony Koby fever is dead, just like Takumi Sato fever that plagued the series some years back. I hope this marks end of era for Japanese drivers since they seem to find some odd cult following no matter how bad they are.

kharma45

KK isn't a bad driver and I do like his overtaking style but he's average for the most part imo, Gutierrez is probably the better driver even without the financial backing from what I can gather.

Leunam

I so do. He was Takumi Sato all over again. Seems like internet does love anyone or anything from Japan. Dude was mediocre driver at best, fumbled more then few great starts where he actually had chance to prove himself. At least now the phony Koby fever is dead, just like Takumi Sato fever that plagued the series some years back. I hope this marks end of era for Japanese drivers since they seem to find some odd cult following no matter how bad they are.

I don't think anyone here had any love for Kaz Nakajima.

What was the race he absolutely beasted last year? Was that Suzuka?

Fuck that was great to watch. I'm pretty sure there was no room in the cockpit for his seat at all given how big his balls must have been that day.

2010 Suzuka.

Top Bottom