• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

duckroll

Hype from who?
I thought most F1 fans were really excited about this race, or do mean mor casual/non-f1 fans?

Personally I cannot wait!

I'm talking about general interest really. Obviously F1 fans are going to be interested in any new race on the calendar. But in terms of excitement from the media and Americans in general, it seems really muted to me. I could be wrong though. It just doesn't seem as much of an "event" as some of the other new tracks in recent years, but maybe that's because F1 has been in the US before...

Orgun

Sitting on my ass finishing up some work in Brooklyn, only a few more hours and I'll be in Austin. Feels weird. Any GAFers going to be at turn 12 grandstand?

Also of note, "no alcoholic beverages or coolers allowed on premise" FUUUUUUUUCK that. Montreal GP already > than US GP. Looks like I will be spending entirely too much money on shitty Budweiser all weekend.

That is so much bullshit, the amount of Alcohol that was at Spa could have sunk a cargo ship.

mblitek

I'm really looking forward to it! A first corner that no one has raced before, it's going to either be a glorious clusterfuck with Grosjean RIGHT UP IN IT or a snore as they all crawl around it.

That blind apex is sure to throw out a lot of people I would imagine. It will require good spatial awareness of which some drivers don't have…

mblitek

[...]

Also of note, "no alcoholic beverages or coolers allowed on premise" FUUUUUUUUCK that. Montreal GP already > than US GP. Looks like I will be spending entirely too much money on shitty Budweiser all weekend.

Simple, just buy this:

Beer-Dispenser-Fake-Beerbelly_7ADC07A9.jpg

Here is their website The Beer Belly

Chris R

The race isn't on ESPN so the general sports viewer has no idea of what is happening.

Trying to decide when I should start driving these next three days :/ traffic shouldn't be too big of a deal but if it is I guess ill be glad to only miss fp1

Yoritomo

Is it just me or is the level of interest in the US GP just... generally low. For a new track in a major country, it seems like there's no hype for it at all. If true, that would be unfortunate. :(

It's basically sold out. The only areas that aren't sold out are the hyper expensive premium seats that aren't that premium. There should be more than 115,000 there on race day.

TylerD

Ha yep. It's a wonder there isn't a bigger fanbase here...

Sounds like a good experience so far. Is this your first time in Austin?

Yep first time in Austin. It looks like there are some good driving roads around Lake Travis so I am going to explore that area and maybe drive into hill country.

Go to Torchy's and get the best tacos mankind has endeavored to make. Make that a priority if you can't go anywhere else.

There is a dude downtown that sells bacon wrapped hot-dogs and they are splendid.

Also, go to Chilantro. And 3Forks if you want an upscale dining experience.

Anyway, looks like Google Maps updated with higher resolutions images of the circuit. I personally think the stars to be gaudy and unnecessary. If there was really a need to boast patriotism in the track's decoration, they should have resorted to a more subtle stripe pattern.

I sort of regret not buying better tickets and going with GA ones, but I seriously doubted the race was going to take place. I don't know what to expect in terms of optimal spots, so Friday practice will also be scouting for a position to see the race. And it's getting cold, a lot more than expected. Hope we can dodge the rain.

Does anybody know anything about the Historic F1 race that's taking place over the weekend?

Torchys tacos was also a rec from my friend so that is definitely a go. It is very close to where I am staying. The weather is looking beautiful for the weekend mid 60's low 70s and about a 10% chance of rain on Sunday from what I saw this morning.

Historic F1 is more for show than anything. Wide range of mid 80s to late 60s cars at Canada when I saw it. Some drivers really push it and the others take it a bit easier. It is an aural symphony and should not be missed.

TylerD

Sitting on my ass finishing up some work in Brooklyn, only a few more hours and I'll be in Austin. Feels weird. Any GAFers going to be at turn 12 grandstand?

Several of us are going to be at turn 12. I'm section 8 row 29, possibly right at the turn from what I can tell and it looks like that whole area is going to be great viewing of other parts of the circuit. I hope they have a video board setup too.

I can't wait for the medical and safety car recon laps tomorrow morning. Hype levels will skyrocket when I hear those AMG V8s rumbling around.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Felipe will get his inspiration with that flying lawnmower gif and he will take off in the first corner

dubc35

The race isn't on ESPN so the general sports viewer has no idea of what is happening.

Trying to decide when I should start driving these next three days :/ traffic shouldn't be too big of a deal but if it is I guess ill be glad to only miss fp1

Even if it was they would cut out in the middle to talk Tim Tebow.

Mobius 1

It will be a big deal, it could ruin your experience. Get out of San Antonio early. I-35 can't handle traffic flow on a regular day, for this event there will probably be a catastrophic congestion.

There is a new toll road (TX 130) that will put you right near the circuit, airport and bypasses central Austin, but you will have to drive far east of San Antonio to reach it via I-10, and there is no guarantee that's not going to be congested either. On the other hand, it's the stretch of road with the highest posted speed limit in the country, so you can push to 85mph and wave the police.

Chris R

1604 to the 35 to the 71 is my plan. Friday is the benchmark day. If it takes too long to get to the airport parking on Friday I'll just leave earlier the next two days.

mblitek

It will be a big deal, it could ruin your experience. Get out of San Antonio early. I-35 can't handle traffic flow on a regular day, for this event there will probably be a catastrophic congestion.

There is a new toll road (TX 130) that will put you right near the circuit, airport and bypasses central Austin, but you will have to drive far east of San Antonio to reach it via I-10, and there is no guarantee that's not going to be congested either. On the other hand, it's the stretch of road with the highest posted speed limit in the country, so you can push to 85mph and wave the police.

Yeah I keep hearing from some of my friends that are locals saying that it will be pretty bad with apparently only one highway that goes out to that area? So I guess go early and I'm sure there will be lots of other stuff going on considering it's the first race at the circuit complex.

BIG FAVOUR to those that are going, when you guys are entering the complex and seating and generally walking about the area can you check out or just look out for accessibility? As in are there ramps and whatnot for a wheelchair user? As well as the city I suppose. That would be amazing as I'd rather go to Austin then to Montréal again as Montréal is absolutely brutal getting around the city in a wheelchair. It's an old city with bad winters so the roads are pretty horrible and accessibility isn't that great.

Leunam

I have no experience with the track, but besides the immense climb up that hill it really doesn't seem that special to me. You shoot up and then slow down to take turn 1. Just seems like making it go into a corner so quickly after the long run down the straight and up the hill diminishes the impact. I think it would have been more fun for it to go into something like sector 1 in Suzuka so you can maintain mid to high speed.

DD

I have no experience with the track, but besides the immense climb up that hill it really doesn't seem that special to me. You shoot up and then slow down to take turn 1. Just seems like making it go into a corner so quickly after the long run down the straight and up the hill diminishes the impact. I think it would have been more fun for it to go into something like sector 1 in Suzuka so you can maintain mid to high speed.

It's full of blind corners, you're hitin' the brakes again and again through the esses because of the late apexes, and then comes the long straight, a few slow corners, and then the fake Istanbul's turn 8 that offers no challenge at all (differently from the original one), then two more slow corners and that's it.

That guy is killin' the F1.

New Jersey seems to be much much more interesting, but... =/

It's full of blind corners, you're hitin' the brakes again and again through the esses because of the late apexes, and then comes the long straight, a few slow corners, and then the fake Istanbul's turn 8 that offers no challenge at all (differently from the original one), then two more slow corners and that's it.

That guy is killin' the F1 games.

Fixed. Just hang on until you see the real thing first. "No challenge fake Istanbul" won't be videogamey flat in real life, for example.

Could have been worse I suppose. I do like Leigh Diffey. Hopefully they'll sign Will Buxton too.

Chris R

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...call-formula-one-for-nbc-sports-group/157898/

NBC Sports Network F1 teams announced

Diffey, Hobbs, and Machett
Hope it isn't long terms. Hobbs and machett are OK but talking about the 70s and Bennaton won't do much to turn new people into the sport. Buxton is a must though, he is young and hip and does a great job in the pits, everything NBC needs IMO.

And I'm turn 12 too. Section 4 row 25. Ill be wearing a neogaf orange shirt tomorrow and a Texas longhorns hat so I should stand out. Just look for the fatass enjoying his "water" bottle ;)

tHoMNZ

That guy is killin' the F1.

F1 2012 is an awful game that doesn't even begin to model the dynamics of a F1 car. I'm sure the track will feel more alive when you're feeling the back end twitching out.

TylerD

Hope it isn't long terms. Hobbs and machett are OK but talking about the 70s and Bennaton won't do much to turn new people into the sport. Buxton is a must though, he is young and hip and does a great job in the pits, everything NBC needs IMO.

And I'm turn 12 too. Section 4 row 25. Ill be wearing a neogaf orange shirt tomorrow and a Texas longhorns hat so I should stand out. Just look for the fatass enjoying his "water" bottle ;)

I'm wearing my white Porsche Martini Racing shirt has a 1 on the front and says Martini Racing on the back. Dark blue trim. I'll be there eeeaaaarrrrllllyyy.

And now I realize that I forgot a hat. At least I have my sun glasses though. I did the opposite in Canada. Guess I will be buying a hat.

Chris R

I bought a hat this week after not having one at the Phoenix NASCAR race. It sucked. Since I'm going to a Texas game I figure why not get a Texas hat :p

Bullocks. Stuck in the Atlanta airport, our flight to Texas is delayed until 10:50. At least my buddy is a Delta Sky Lounge member so we get to chill and have some drinks. God damn Delta, get your shot together dog.

Leunam

Glad you like it. The OP of both this and the first OT also have tons of info for each individual event that you might enjoy.

If anyone has the schedule for BBC or Sky please PM me so I can add it to the OP.

acm2000

FIA changing the rules to stop Red Bull yet again

"Formula 1 teams will face tougher front wing tests next year, with the FIA keen to clamp down on team's exploiting the flexible bodywork rules."

"The FIA is to restrict the use of DRS anywhere on the circuit except in the allocated zones during practice and qualifying on grand prix weekends next year."

"The FIA is to restrict the use of DRS anywhere on the circuit except in the allocated zones during practice and qualifying on grand prix weekends next year."

I actually agree with that one. Always seemed a bit stupid that you could use DRS everywhere in qualifying.

FIA changing the rules to stop Red Bull yet again

"Formula 1 teams will face tougher front wing tests next year, with the FIA keen to clamp down on team's exploiting the flexible bodywork rules."

It's a shame and BS, because Newey's front wings are really amazing, but they did the same with Ferrari back then.

Top Bottom