• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, lets make all scenarios possible for next week!

IF
Vettel wins = Champion
Vettel ends in front of Alonso = Vettel champion
Alonso wins, Vettel 2nd or 3rd = Vettel champion
Alonso wins, Vettel 4th = Tied, but Vettel wins due to more 1st place finishes
Alonso wins, Vettel 5th or worse = Alonso champion
Alonso 3rd, Vettel 9th = Tied, but Vettel wins due to more 1st place finishes
Alonso 2nd = Vettel must be 7th to win
Alonso DNF, Vettel DNF = Vettel champion
Vettel DNF, Alonso 4th or worse = Vettel champion
Vettel DNF, Alonso 3rd or better = Alonso champion

Shaneus

IF
Vettel wins = Champion
Thanks for that! I know it's 13 points, but it's good to have it summed up for me in terms of how they need to finish.

Mohonky

Vettel's little spat about being overtaken.

'Bu bu bu but backmarkers!!'

Cry me a fucking river. God Vettel and Horner are such a pair of entitled little bitches. I can only pray Vettel doesn't finish in Brazil and Alonso wins. The RBR meltdown would leave Fukushima to shame.

It's funny just how worked up Vettel and Alonso are getting in the car now. I couldn't imagine that sort of pressure.... I'd break like a tiny little twig.

They're both really good out of the car in front of the camera though. Impressively so.

DD

Vettel's little spat about being overtaken.

'Bu bu bu but backmarkers!!'

Cry me a fucking river. God Vettel and Horner are such a pair of entitled little bitches. I can only pray Vettel doesn't finish in Brazil and Alonso wins. The RBR meltdown would leave Fukushima to shame.

You're complaining about bitchin' and you're rooting for the big queen of bitchiness?

Shaneus

It's funny just how worked up Vettel and Alonso are getting in the car now. I couldn't imagine that sort of pressure.... I'd break like a tiny little twig.

They're both really good out of the car in front of the camera though. Impressively so.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Vettel handles the obvious pressure considering it's kind of the first time he's really been under it. Obviously he was never really feeling it last year, and the year before it was pretty much anyone's game so the pressure was spread more evenly across a number of drivers.

From now up until race day will be a real test of his mettle, I think.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Vettel handles the obvious pressure considering it's kind of the first time he's really been under it. Obviously he was never really feeling it last year, and the year before it was pretty much anyone's game so the pressure was spread more evenly across a number of drivers.

From now up until race day will be a real test of his mettle, I think.

I think he's been handling the pressure quite well this entire season. Lets not forget that it took a while until the RB8 switched into beast mode again.

Shaneus

I think he's been handling the pressure quite well this entire season. Lets not forget that it took a while until the RB8 switched into beast mode again.
I think he's done well too, but I wasn't referring to the pressure over the whole season, more the "it all rests on this one race" kinda stuff. Feels like an age since we've come down to the last race to decide who'll win WDC.

Fantomex

lAtIP.jpg

paskowitz

IF
Vettel wins = Champion

The most likely scenario for an Alonso win is the last one.

Sunhi, I think your PM box is full?

If you want something as a thank you for letting me nick your Sky ID this year, be it more cash or the season review Blu Ray or something, let me know! Really appreciate it and it always helps to sweeten you up for next year too. ;)

Zozobra

That was my first GP and I think I`m hooked! There`s just so much more to this sport than what I originally thought, it`s so interesting and awesome.

One thing I was wondering about: are there any sort of streaming services for F1? I live in Canada and don`t subscribe to cable (Speed actually had the race blacked out :|).

Just an idea..

The US GP thread was a success I would say. So why don't we have a season finale thread? that will keep the new joiners more interested especially that a lot of them are US based and the Brasil race is suitable in terms of timing? Plus, its the season finale

Leunam?

Leunam

I'm glad the thread for the USGP went well, but I think a thread for the finale would be pushing it. After that we'll have an off-season thread. Three separate threads in a short time span would be too much, I think.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That was my first GP and I think I`m hooked! There`s just so much more to this sport than what I originally thought, it`s so interesting and awesome.

One thing I was wondering about: are there any sort of streaming services for F1? I live in Canada and don`t subscribe to cable (Speed actually had the race blacked out :|).

Not that I'm aware of. Either you have TSN or you
torrent

I'm glad the thread for the USGP went well, but I think a thread for the finale would be pushing it. After that we'll have an off-season thread. Three separate threads in a short time span would be too much, I think.

We can ask the mods to lock the US thread with a link to this one.

The off-season thread will be a Community one right?

G-Unit

Michael Schumacher (16th)
“I can't find any words other than ironic ones for the race today - there was a lot of action around me but unfortunately in the wrong direction. To say that the race was a real struggle would be an understatement. I couldn't get any grip from my first set of tyres, and there must have been some kind of damage for them to perform so badly. We had to change our strategy to two stops which then compromised our race even further. All in all, it was much worse than expected today, especially considering that things did not look that bad yesterday and Friday.”

You could see how frustrated he was during the race. I bet deep inside he feels let down by mercedes, but he will never tell

FuturusX

McLaren say new driver Sergio Perez is facing 'hard winter'

McLaren say Sergio Perez has to up his game before he joins them in 2013 as Lewis Hamilton's replacement.

The Mexican has not scored a point in the five races since his McLaren deal was announced in September and has been involved in a series of incidents.
Continue reading the main story

“He is really talented, he is very young and he is very raw - he is intelligent and has a nice humility about him”

Martin Whitmarsh McLaren team boss

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said after Sunday's US Grand Prix: "He has got a lot to learn and we've got a hard winter ahead with him.

"But I'm looking forward to working with him next year."

Perez's recent form with his Sauber team has led to widespread questions within Formula 1 as to whether McLaren have made a wise choice.

Perez admitted his recent form has been "a bit up and down" but said he was unconcerned by the criticism.

"Even if I won all the last races, there will always be question marks," he said in the US.

"I am going to the best team next year, so there will always be a question mark until I constantly deliver in a McLaren. This doesn't bother me.

"My main focus is to give 100% here, every lap, on every single occasion I drive at Sauber and I will keep doing this."

Perez, 22, has recently conducted a fitness test to which McLaren submit all their drivers and it proved he is a long way short of the physical condition of Hamilton and his team-mate Jenson Button.

Whitmarsh admitted in an interview with the official F1 website that Perez had a lot of preparation work to do before the start of the 2013 season in Australia in March next year.

"I am not worried about him. We have the winter to prepare him," Whitmarsh said.

"He will spend a lot less time in Mexico than he realises at the moment. That means he will be in the simulator, will be with the race engineers, he will be with the strategy people, he will be with the general engineering team, he will turn up considerably fitter and stronger than he is today.

Ouch...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20403485

dubc35

I don't think Sergio is ready for a seat at McLaren but we'll see how he responds to the pressure. He could flourish. I have to agree with some of Martin's statements about Lewis though. I guess we'll see but I think he will regret leaving McLaren. I can definitely understand him wanting to go to a new team and reinvigorate his passion but I can't see Mercedes being competitive next year. As it stands they're only 12 points ahead of Sauber in WCC points.

e* currently watching the race 25/56, this circuit is great!

dubc35

Well, Massa was utter shit earlier this year. Since his resign for next year he has been much better. On the other hand, Sergio was unexpectedly good earlier in the year but has fallen off a bit lately. We didn't expect Lewis would be leaving. I don't know. If Lewis was terrible the first half and Massa good, would we have been screaming for Sergio to take a seat at McL?

The last few races Massa has been driving really well. Almost looks like a different person from last year and the beginning of this season.

Perez is a talented driver and he has certainly brought more Mexican fans to the sport. He just needs a little maturity which I think is what McLaren wants to do with all the training.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I for one am very excited to see what Perez can do in a very fast car and what Hamilton can do in a very mediocre car.

Klocker

McLaren say new driver Sergio Perez is facing 'hard winter'

Ouch...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20403485

"Even if I won all the last races, there will always be question marks," he said in the US

ummm no there wouldn't be

Perez, 22, has recently conducted a fitness test to which McLaren submit all their drivers and it proved he is a long way short of the physical condition of Hamilton and his team-mate Jenson Button.

wow

Hamilton and Button are easily two of the fittest guys in F1 so it's not any major surprise to me. I doubt many other drivers are in their league (I'd say Alonso is stronger, but probably not as fit).

Klocker

yes but well below their fitness level?

he'd better show he's willing to work as hard or harder than they expect or I imagine this will be a short lived relationship

That just proves my theory that Perez was just a rebound decision and McLaren didn't really prepare a proper replacement in case Hamilton decided to leave.

If they have negotiated with Kimi earlier during the season and were serious about it, I'm sure they would've been able to reach some sort of an understanding rather than approach him last second "Kimi, HAM is out you in?" kinda approach.

I'm still pissed at them for not signing Kimi at the end of 2009 and there's another opportunity they fuck up to sign one of the best drivers on the grid.

And if not Kimi, I'd sign Hulk rather than Perez or even Grosjean, who with some serious spanking can be a hell of a driver

Yen

Does anyone see Maldonado getting a big seat in 2014? I'm not sure, but that season will have some very interesting changes.

neoanarch

That just proves my theory that Perez was just a rebound decision and McLaren didn't really prepare a proper replacement in case Hamilton decided to leave.

If they have negotiated with Kimi earlier during the season and were serious about it, I'm sure they would've been able to reach some sort of an understanding rather than approach him last second "Kimi, HAM is out you in?" kinda approach.

I'm still pissed at them for not signing Kimi at the end of 2009 and there's another opportunity they fuck up to sign one of the best drivers on the grid.

And if not Kimi, I'd sign Hulk rather than Perez or even Grosjean, who with some serious spanking can be a hell of a driver

Of course it was a impulse decision, it doesn't mean its a bad decision. Perez is younger than Grosjean and Hulk which counts for something. He also has more points in a less reliable car than Hulk.

Wasn't his future in F1 in question due to issues with his sponsorship money?

Chavez won, so no. He's actually been worse the less aggressive he has been. He needs to find a balance.

Shaneus

Hamilton and Button are easily two of the fittest guys in F1 so it's not any major surprise to me. I doubt many other drivers are in their league (I'd say Alonso is stronger, but probably not as fit).
I honestly thought Webber was the fittest (have a look at his sporting pursuits outside of F1, such as http://www.markwebbertasmaniachallenge.com/ ) but that's pretty subjective. He's certainly amongst the top three, though.

Top Bottom